Official Bog Topic v3: Now with added OBJECTION and BRUM

WWN's Social Lounge. The place to come and chill out for a relaxed conversation about life and stuff, or some more serious debates.
Sniffit II

Re: The Official Bog Topic

Post by Sniffit II » Fri Sep 13, 2013 3:21 am

Nice. Hope it will continue as such
i don't know what a bishop ninja is but if it can still move diagonal without being seen it's got my vote - Pkdragon

FEAR ME, FEAR THE FIRE THAT BURNS IN MY BALLS, VERIDIAN FOREST! - Dragonite

Vote Sniffit for Space Dictator.

Kanzer

Post by Kanzer » Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:29 pm

I have to say, since I've been away for two months or so, I haven't got a decent update on you, but I've been keeping an eye at your awesome exploits on FB as you know. So just so you know I still care and stuff.

I think you're pretty awesome actually.
if you burn down all of spain in your quest for thrills, that doesn't mean you get to move to a new country. it means you have to clean up afterward - Deoxy
I won the Pointless Adventure of Nopor Puss - winning command: FALCOWN PAUNCH the Pac-Man.

Linkman
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Linkman » Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:45 pm

:D!!!
"everytime I try to draw xen I end up drawing a kangaroo smoking a cigar while chainsawing a tree" - Deoxy
"I can't believe I'm the only person who voted Stallone. His appeal lies in watching is movies again and again just to hear what the hell he's talking about." - Kilteh

daisy

Post by daisy » Mon Sep 16, 2013 5:13 am

Achivement unlocked: Write first proper essay.

In other news, Lawrence Kohlberg what an idiot.

Dragonite

Post by Dragonite » Mon Sep 16, 2013 5:53 am

What was it about?

daisy

Post by daisy » Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:17 am

Kohlberg's theory of moral development and how terrible it is, due to gender, age and cultural specificity.

McTool

Post by McTool » Tue Sep 17, 2013 2:10 am

Ehhhhhhhhhhhhhh he makes some good points; no theory of development is 100% sound. Kohlberg's general idea is soundly placed - especially given the era in which he started working on it - but I completely agree with your points regarding gender and culture. Age I think is up for debate; Kohlberg seems to believe firmly in the "old wise man" archetype but also acknowledges that this is not reachable for all human beings. Note that it's been made clear that almost *no one* hits stage 6.

In the modern era, especially with open acknowledgement of trans* people and a greater understanding of all cultures, Kohlberg's theory fails in a huge way. It can still be applied loosely in most cases, but yes, by and large nowadays he comes off as a bit of an ass.
Make good choices

Linkman
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Linkman » Wed Sep 18, 2013 1:37 am

McTool: Ace Psychologist
"everytime I try to draw xen I end up drawing a kangaroo smoking a cigar while chainsawing a tree" - Deoxy
"I can't believe I'm the only person who voted Stallone. His appeal lies in watching is movies again and again just to hear what the hell he's talking about." - Kilteh

McTool

Post by McTool » Wed Sep 18, 2013 3:38 am

I mean that is the degree I graduated with
Make good choices

daisy

Post by daisy » Mon Sep 23, 2013 7:50 pm

Massive screaming argument with my mother in front of dad's tree/ashes. Some of the things I said were not my finest hour. I can be a real dick sometimes.

daisy

Post by daisy » Wed Oct 09, 2013 4:05 am

College is freaking awesome. Really enjoying it. Much more than I thought I would actually.

McTool

Post by McTool » Wed Oct 09, 2013 6:12 am

For all my complaining about college while I was in it I do look back on large parts of it as Pretty Goddamn Rad
Make good choices

daisy

Post by daisy » Sun Oct 13, 2013 11:20 am

Two part update.

1. Totally suing my old landlords. I have a lawyer. Legal Aid is wonderful. A letter has been sent to them. Awaiting their reply. I don't really know how the legal system works, but apparantly it's worth quite a bit of money. Quite scary, but it might (and hopefully will) sort itself out. I'm kinda limited as to how much detail I can go into.

2. I'm learning to drive! I found a super-cheap instructor (well, cheap compared to everyone else) and she seems really nice. Had my first lesson today and it was bloody frightening. You drivers make it look so easy. Like, even driving in a straight line needs concentration. Would apprreciate learning-to-drive stories. :)

McTool

Re: Official Bog Topic v3: Now with added OBJECTION and BRUM

Post by McTool » Tue Oct 15, 2013 2:45 am

Driving a manual/standard is intensely difficult and requires Maximum Concentration when you start; I am still total garbage and refuse to do any serious driving in a manual unless I am forced. In the States you are almost guaranteed to learn on an automatic which is the most brain-dead easiest thing in the world; the fact that there are car crashes in the US boggles me sometimes.

Things I learned while learning to drive:

If you "think you can make it" w/r/t a traffic light, you can't. Slow down and stop; if the drivers behind you are mad they can kiss your ass. You are not part of the stunt team for The Fast and the Furious.

Parking is arguably the hardest part of learning to drive - especially parallel parking - and you should try to go from Large spaces (two cars worth on either side) to medium spaces to small spaces. Take your time and only move when you feel comfortable; parking accidents are an absolute nightmare and can be ludicrously expensive depending on the damage.

I dunno if auto insurance is mandatory in the UK but get it regardless. It will be the absolute best decision you make.

Don't just learn to drive, learn your car. One of the most important things is to "know your vehicle" and any vehicle you drive. What's the right number of revs to shift at? What's your turning circle? How much "oomph" do you get when pushing the pedal certain distances? How firm is the clutch? There are a lot of things you want to figure out; avoid just jumping into a new car and driving it wherever until you've got it figured out. Obviously there are exceptions to this, but Your Primary Car should be one you know inside and out.
Make good choices

Enkuro

Post by Enkuro » Tue Oct 15, 2013 11:14 am

Don't ever fall into "autopilot", I spose. Personal philosophy is to constantly remind myself that mistakes could kill people. The fear was definitely there, and went away, but I think it's a good thing, personally. That, and constant situational awareness is a good thing.
" No... It was indeed not a dream. We really did it. The King of All Cosmos has really done it. A sky full of stars... We broke it. Yes, We were naughty. Completely naughty. So, so very sorry. But just between you and Us, It felt quite good. ♥ "

onewaystreet

Post by onewaystreet » Tue Oct 15, 2013 11:29 am

There is no shame in rocking out to embarrassing pop music. Even and especially if someone is in the car with you.
thefalman wrote:Honestly, just when I thought we could all have a nice topic about mocking ridiculously, overly hardcore fundamentalists, it has to turn into a religious debate.

You bastards.
thefalman wrote:
RadioShadow wrote:Including having SEX? :o
I know it's an alien concept to you RS, but there's no need to act so surprised.

daisy

Post by daisy » Tue Oct 15, 2013 11:08 pm

It's a manual Chevrolet Cruze. It doesn't belong to me, but I like it. In the UK, you drive an automatic if you make a concious decision to. Insurance is mandatory, but I'm using my instructor's.

I got up to 30mph in 3rd. Was getting fairly confident until ARGH ROUNDABOUT and then a BMW tailgated me (doing the speed limit) for ages. Maybe drivers have a thing against L-platers or something. Changing gear is fudge rocket science, but I'll get used to it. Only stalled like 3 times in 2 hours I think.

McTool

Post by McTool » Wed Oct 16, 2013 1:59 am

onewaystreet wrote:no shame in rocking out to embarrassing pop music.
[youtube]L6Fm-VVon64[/youtube]
Make good choices

Terragent

Post by Terragent » Wed Oct 16, 2013 1:42 pm

The first time I was behind the wheel of a car (a beautiful but ailing Mitsubishi Nimbus), I drove on to a roundabout. You seem to be doing much better so far. ;)

And tailgaters are sadly inevitable. People get impatient and far too hung up about being able to drive the way they want to drive - and also frequently fail to appreciate the merciless way in which physics will punish them if they need to slow down - and at the end of the day there's not really anything you can do about it. My only advice is to simply try not to let it bother you: if you're driving at the limit then they have no right whatsoever to expect you to drive faster. Sometimes it helps to pull over and let them pass you (assuming they're unable to overtake without you doing so), simply to get them off your back, but when push comes to shove, you are in the right. If they're unable to live with having to drive at the limit then that's their problem, not yours.

Kanzer

Post by Kanzer » Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:43 pm

You Bog dude are so awesome. Look at how far you've come. You're becoming an inspiration to me. I'm being serious here.
if you burn down all of spain in your quest for thrills, that doesn't mean you get to move to a new country. it means you have to clean up afterward - Deoxy
I won the Pointless Adventure of Nopor Puss - winning command: FALCOWN PAUNCH the Pac-Man.

Pkdragon

Post by Pkdragon » Fri Oct 18, 2013 12:50 am

McTool wrote:Driving a manual/standard is intensely difficult and requires Maximum Concentration when you start; I am still total garbage and refuse to do any serious driving in a manual unless I am forced. In the States you are almost guaranteed to learn on an automatic which is the most brain-dead easiest thing in the world; the fact that there are car crashes in the US boggles me sometimes.
It boggles my mind that there aren't more crashes, given how some people drive, tbqh.
HPD wrote:You know the only thing on the agenda of the Squirtle Squad is pure, unadulterated chaos.

That, and watching Euros squirm.

Linkman
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Linkman » Fri Oct 18, 2013 4:02 am

I don't know why google cars aren't allowed yet. Stupid politicians, get working on it.

McTool

Post by McTool » Fri Oct 18, 2013 4:10 am

Pkdragon wrote:It boggles my mind that there aren't more crashes, given how some people drive, tbqh.
You are right and that makes me upset.

People here try to merge onto highways at like 30mph; Oregon drivers are the literal worst in the US, I guarantee it. I would rather spend the rest of my life back in MA dealing with self-professed Masshole Drivers than deal with Portland traffic on daily basis. Thank god I don't have a job in the city; I'd probably be dead by now.
Make good choices

onewaystreet

Post by onewaystreet » Fri Oct 18, 2013 4:14 am

I dunno, driving in downtown Boston frequently makes me scared for my life.
thefalman wrote:Honestly, just when I thought we could all have a nice topic about mocking ridiculously, overly hardcore fundamentalists, it has to turn into a religious debate.

You bastards.
thefalman wrote:
RadioShadow wrote:Including having SEX? :o
I know it's an alien concept to you RS, but there's no need to act so surprised.

daisy

Post by daisy » Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:02 pm

Terragent wrote:The first time I was behind the wheel of a car (a beautiful but ailing Mitsubishi Nimbus), I drove on to a roundabout. You seem to be doing much better so far. ;)

And tailgaters are sadly inevitable. People get impatient and far too hung up about being able to drive the way they want to drive - and also frequently fail to appreciate the merciless way in which physics will punish them if they need to slow down - and at the end of the day there's not really anything you can do about it. My only advice is to simply try not to let it bother you: if you're driving at the limit then they have no right whatsoever to expect you to drive faster. Sometimes it helps to pull over and let them pass you (assuming they're unable to overtake without you doing so), simply to get them off your back, but when push comes to shove, you are in the right. If they're unable to live with having to drive at the limit then that's their problem, not yours.
Easier said then done though, eh? My instructor asked me to pull over at one point and I misjudged how much braking power I'd need to stop. I ended up on someone's lawn, lol. That is the thing - I midjudge everything. How much I need to turn the wheel to go round a turn is a big one.

I have a two-hour lesson tomorrow. Hopefully I'll sort it out.
Kanzer wrote:You Bog dude are so awesome. Look at how far you've come. You're becoming an inspiration to me. I'm being serious here.
Wow. Urm, thanks I guess?

I still struggle yes, but not as much. Christmas is coming. A year or so ago I'd be getting through 3-4 bottles of wine a day to make it feel better, but it usually had the opposite effect. I'm a horrible drunk. My issue is letting go - I can't do it. I miss my family. Dad would have LOVED to see my go to uni but NOPE. But then I feel bad for still mourning 18 months later. Shouldn't I at least feel a little bit over it by now? Next year for me is going to be the big one - hopefully I'll be able to leave Reading and go somewhere nice. You could say I'm using education to run away from my problems and I know that won't solve it, but eh. As things stand, I'm spending Christmas on my own.

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO
3DS Code: 2535-4646-7163

Post by Xenesis » Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:51 pm

Eh, learning to judge how a car works, response,etc takes time and learning.

I know I scraped some paint off the car when I was learning.
IST wrote:Even the worst individual needs to discover the joys of a chicken statue that is also a pregnant blonde housewife.

Dragonite

Post by Dragonite » Sat Oct 19, 2013 9:22 pm

daisy wrote:
Kanzer wrote:You Bog dude are so awesome. Look at how far you've come. You're becoming an inspiration to me. I'm being serious here.
Wow. Urm, thanks I guess?

I still struggle yes, but not as much. Christmas is coming. A year or so ago I'd be getting through 3-4 bottles of wine a day to make it feel better, but it usually had the opposite effect. I'm a horrible drunk. My issue is letting go - I can't do it. I miss my family. Dad would have LOVED to see my go to uni but NOPE. But then I feel bad for still mourning 18 months later. Shouldn't I at least feel a little bit over it by now? Next year for me is going to be the big one - hopefully I'll be able to leave Reading and go somewhere nice. You could say I'm using education to run away from my problems and I know that won't solve it, but eh. As things stand, I'm spending Christmas on my own.
Well, that's still a huge improvement in a single year. Even though you went through several crap moments, you managed to scrape the willpower together to not give up, and from what I've been reading you're having a blast at uni and took your life back. Certainly impressive. I see that christmas is going to be hard, but don't hesitate to rant here during that time. And maybe Uni will do something christmas related?

daisy

Post by daisy » Sun Oct 20, 2013 12:07 am

Uni is next year. College is now. UK college is different to US college, dunno what the Americans call them.

Had a massive improvement in my driving today. Sorted clutch control, can usually get the right amount of steering and I'm feeling a lot more comfortable changing gears now. My weakness is T-junctions, or stopping and then starting again. I always stall it there.

Gentleman of Dread

Post by Gentleman of Dread » Sun Oct 20, 2013 3:07 am

Good luck on your driving, Bog! (and you win topic titles forever go brum)

HPD
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by HPD » Sun Oct 20, 2013 5:29 pm

As far as driving went, I thought it prudent to pass driving up the steepest street in the world (Baldwin Street, Dunedin) in a hired van, 5 minutes into first time driving a van, on the left side of the road AND in an automatic. Oh yeah, and in a hailstorm <_<;

totally would've done it otherwise lol
"So when I say the fudge shaman flies he goddamn well flies and that's that." - Narts
"My motto is that there are far too many women in the world to waste time with men." - thefalman
"It's just that I'm not really aware of how a common conversation goes." - Imano Ob, talking on MSN about talking on MSN
"As for FE8, that was IS' variant of Man Spam - Dudes with Swords edition." - Xenesis

daisy

Post by daisy » Sun Oct 20, 2013 10:12 pm

I've driven an automatic before on a private road. So much easier. If I were learning in an automatic I'd just be learning road safety and crumpets at this point.

Sniffit II

Post by Sniffit II » Sat Oct 26, 2013 10:07 pm

Nice, good luck with driving.
i don't know what a bishop ninja is but if it can still move diagonal without being seen it's got my vote - Pkdragon

FEAR ME, FEAR THE FIRE THAT BURNS IN MY BALLS, VERIDIAN FOREST! - Dragonite

Vote Sniffit for Space Dictator.

daisy

Post by daisy » Sun Nov 03, 2013 12:48 pm

Schizophrenia getting worse. Psyche talking about hospitalising again. Not good.

Kiltman2

Post by Kiltman2 » Tue Nov 05, 2013 7:06 am

It sounds like college is going well for you, Boggers. You say you might be using education to escape your problems, but frankly you're giving yourself a good chance to take yourself out of the job market and engage yourself in something you're interested in for a few years, potentially netting you a better job at the end. No guarantees of course, but at the very least what you're doing is more stimulating then what you were doing before. All in all, well done man. You might not be through it all yet, but fudge hell have you pulled yourself up by your bootstraps.

Also, everyone takes different times to mourn. Take your own time, my friend. Unfortunately we don't process like that.

Edit: Also hit me up on facebook if you ever fancy a chat.

daisy

Post by daisy » Sun Dec 08, 2013 12:11 pm

Little bit of an update. It's been a while and a lot has been happening, but sometimes I just don't feel like talking about it, y'know?

My anti-depressant (Paroxetine) and anti-psychotic (Quetiapine) have been increased by 10mg and 150mg respectively. Stupid anger fits, ridiculous mood swings and general tearfulness all contributed. I switched my GP to one that is actually trained in mental health, and he's amazing. (The best I've had, and I've had 5 in the 22 years I've been alive.) The long-term plan is to get me out of my addiction to Zopiclone, but that'll have to wait until the increased drugs have settled down a bit.

Christmas. Yup. Historically I've loved this time of year, but this time not so much. My mum still doesn't want to know and thinks I'm going to murder her or something. Ever since I was in hospital she's been really awkward. I tried to get her to come to family counselling but my sister kept trying to get involved, and tbh it made things worse. I'm spending Christmas alone unless I can figure something out. It's scary and upsetting. I spend a lot of time crying.

College is going well. I got my university applications off a couple of weeks ago and should start hearing back by the new year. I don't know if I mentioned it before, but my biolgoy tutor was fired 2 weeks into the course and STILL hasn't been replaced. I had to complete an assignment without having had any teaching or support. It's awful, especially considering this isn't free at all.

Dragonite

Post by Dragonite » Mon Dec 09, 2013 12:33 am

Sorry to hear that about Christmas Bog. Mine's also awkward this year for personal reasons, so you can chat with(and perhaps some other WWNers) around these days should you feel like it.

Also, since you're paying for college, don't you have any person at school who you can file a complaint with? Not receiving proper lessons seems like a big blunder, although I know college/uni has a tendency worldwide to enforce rules more on students then themselves.

daisy

Post by daisy » Fri Dec 13, 2013 9:25 am

Mum rang for an argument on my break. Was going okay until my brother mugged the phone off her and said:

"You're a c***, no one here loves you, piss off."

He apparantly locked the phone with him in his room, which explains why every time I rang back I got the same words and then a hangup.

THE VOICES THE VOICES

Bonesy
3DS Code: 0318 8318 0000

Post by Bonesy » Fri Dec 13, 2013 3:47 pm

your family sounds like a load of crumpets tbqh, i'm pretty lucky in that my mom and i have patched crumpets up

daisy

Post by daisy » Sat Dec 14, 2013 3:07 am

Oh that's just 10% of the story, srsly. Losing patience rapidly. Lost count of the amount of grapevines I've extended.

daisy

Post by daisy » Sat Dec 14, 2013 6:36 am

Quetiapine up to 300mg.