Official Bog Topic v3: Now with added OBJECTION and BRUM

WWN's Social Lounge. The place to come and chill out for a relaxed conversation about life and stuff, or some more serious debates.
daisy

Re: The Official Bog Topic

Post by daisy » Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:58 pm

You have a PM.

daisy

Post by daisy » Sat Apr 06, 2013 9:24 am

+ Personal statement complete.
+ A friend of mine is a maths tutor and has agreed to two free sessions with her next week.
- Our lovely chancellor, George "fudge" Osbourne has cut my benefit. If it wasn't for insurance I would now only have £59 a week to live on.

Kanzer

Post by Kanzer » Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:00 am

Well, last news are terrible news to hear. I like everything else I'm reading here, you keep pulling everything together and I really hope it all ends fine. Every little achievement is to be appreciated and kept up with. I hope money does not become a problem again.
if you burn down all of spain in your quest for thrills, that doesn't mean you get to move to a new country. it means you have to clean up afterward - Deoxy
I won the Pointless Adventure of Nopor Puss - winning command: FALCOWN PAUNCH the Pac-Man.

Treedweller

Post by Treedweller » Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:08 am

That's bad, my dear. Is your insurance for a limited period? If so, are you going to look for a job soon (if, of course, you're well enough to work)?

Proud of you for everything you've been doing in spite of the bad.

daisy

Post by daisy » Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:49 pm

I have a trial in a coffee shop on Thursday. It's not much, only a 12 hour contract for 6 months and it only pays £7 an hour, but it will get me out the house. The coffee shop in question is in a day centre for depressed people which is good because I will need experience come next year for uni.

daisy

Post by daisy » Wed Apr 10, 2013 4:15 am

Voices going fudge nuts today. Don't know what to do.

Been prescribed this new drug which is wonderful but body isn't sure how to handle it I don't think.

McTool

Post by McTool » Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:10 am

Yeah new drugs take a bit to get acclimated to. That tends to be SOP for prescription things and some OTCs. Also acronyms.

Re: the voices, remember that you are the Boss, not them. You are the Bruce Springsteen of your brain, not some other voice.

Also coffee shops are legit; I might complain about my previous experience in them, but they're brilliant in terms of teaching you skills that you will take to literally every job (patience is the biggest one, good lord that helps in IT).
Make good choices

daisy

Post by daisy » Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:59 pm

Ok so work fudge up and paid me the wrong amount. Insurance wasn't supposed to come in until June. I now owe them £1200. fudge crumpets it. Don't want know what the fudge to fudge do.

McTool

Post by McTool » Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:53 am

Check your PMs dawg
Make good choices

Treedweller

Post by Treedweller » Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:02 am

If that PM from Toolio dear doesn't resolve things, I can bust out my research skills and see if there's not a way to get you out of this. Let us know how we can help you.

daisy

Post by daisy » Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:44 am

You are angels. And I mean good angels, not like Lucifer.

Treed any research would be great. They paid me, I didn't take the money. I wasn't aware I was overpaid. I also don't know how it will work tax-wise as I was taxed on the money.

I had a bit of an episode, rang my social worker and was told she was in a meeting so got to speak to someone else. He was meant to ring me at 4pm, but he didn't until 4:45pm. Bear in mind this was down as "urgent." I had spoken to the guy I talked to before and had him down as useless. He gave me a number to call for a befriending service in Reading, but the number he gave me put me through to a household. I think that speaks volumes about his competency. Instead I rang the hospital and I now have an appointment in Urgent Care tomorrow at 6:30pm. Bear in mind all this was when I wasn't exactly thinking straight, so the wrong number thing did not help. At all. I've always said the mental health services are useless. All they want to do is give you more pills.

After I got the phone call from payroll, I said to myself "well that's that, can't do it anymore." I've drafted a suicide note. The one thing that stopped me: I may be getting into college. If I fudge up on Monday with my interview and exam then I seriously don't know what to do. (Well I do, but the option wouldn't be a popular one.)

Decided to apply for ESA, which is unable-to-work benefit worth an additional £59 a week, and they backdate it for 3 months should I qualify. The only reason I haven't until now is because they require you to have weekly interviews to prove you're not faking it, and the last thing I need right now is more fudge stress. I've heard horrible things about those interviews. :(

McTool: I'll PM you back. I get the impression you liaised with Treed on this so keep him updated.

Treedweller

Post by Treedweller » Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:49 am

McTool didn't talk with me about it, but if you'd like to get me involved in the PMing, let me know.

Second, with the suicide thing. Don't. Seriously. Even if you didn't get into this college, there's other options and we can help you find them.

Finally, I'll do some research tonight and see what I can dig up. As far as being taxed on that income, even if you are legally obligated to pay back your employers, you may get a small tax return back.

McTool

Post by McTool » Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:54 am

Also re: ESA, unemployment benefits of any sort are hell on earth but they are called benefits for a reason. The pros of being able to keep on living without fear of The Man knocking down your door far outweighs any potential crumpets the ESA folks throw at you. Go for it.
Make good choices

Treedweller

Post by Treedweller » Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:10 am

I'll get to researching after I cook supper. I'm now filled in on the PMs, so please include me when you send McTool a response.

daisy

Post by daisy » Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:11 am

Yeah I'll be ringing the govt tomorrow about ESA. Apparently it's not the council but a nationwide thing.

You know takes my mind off stuff? History. Great YouTube channel there.

Treedweller

Post by Treedweller » Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:13 pm

I did some research. Here's the deal. In terms of legality, you do owe your employer that money if it was an accidental overpayment, no questions asked. There's no wiggle room if you're still working for them, since they can deduct that from future wages assuming that they arrange a reasonable re-payment plan or wage deduction. This source couldn't be clearer:
Your employer isn’t allowed to make deductions unless:

it’s required or allowed by law, eg National Insurance, income tax or student loan repayments
you agree in writing
your contract says they can
there’s a statutory payment due to a public authority
you haven’t worked due to taking part in a strike or industrial action
there’s been an earlier overpayment of wages or expenses
it’s a result of a court order
This source corroborates the above:
However, if there has been a genuine overpayment of your wages, your employer doesn't need your consent to recover this. They can make a deduction from your wages without your agreement. There are some exceptions to this rule and there are special rules about deductions made from shop-worker's pay.
However, the devil's in the details, and I think I found a loophole. You no longer work for your employer. Because of that, according to this source you may simply be able to ignore their request - assuming you're alright with burning all bridges:
If you no longer work for the company then they can have more difficulty recovering the overpayment of money from you. They may try to enlist the help of a debt collector but unless there is a clause in your contract that says any money you owe to them after leaving employment is considered civil debt they will have trouble making you pay. If you do find yourself in the position where an ex-employer is making threats and asking for the money back you should seek legal advice.
I want you to double-check your employment contract for that clause. Find it or get a copy of it or whatever, because it could save you 1200 pounds. Check if there's a clause in there, or show me the contract privately and I'll find out if the clause exists. If it doesn't, you can simply refuse to comply with their request, assuming that it doesn't, at the same, create a debt with government insurance for accepting that 1200 pounds from work. (Usually, unemployment cannot be doled out at the same time as you're receiving work wages.)

If that doesn't work, or if they continue to harass you, you should take your employer to an employment tribunal. They overpaid you because of an insurance error during a period of grieving and psychological duress. You might be able to leverage that to force them, at best, into owing you the 1200 pounds as compensation. At worst, the tribunal should allow you to negotiate a reasonable repayment plan rather than flatly writing them a check for the full amount.

If you're planning to go to employment tribunal, please use this to check if you're eligible for free legal counsel (you should be). Once you're sure you're eligible, go here and apply online as soon as you can. I'm just some guy with a computer, so you'd be best with a real UK lawyer if you take this issue further.

I hope this helps. Find that contract. Show it to me if it's difficult for you to understand. We'll work through this together.
Last edited by Treedweller on Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.

McTool

Post by McTool » Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:20 pm

God almighty Treed, if the government ever tracks me down for all those crimes I committed in that tiny border town, I'll take you picking through US Law for me over Tom & Dick & Fred & Robertson, LLC, Esq, etc.

(I did not have sexual relations with that women, etc. (it is a joke))
Make good choices

Treedweller

Post by Treedweller » Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:44 pm

Well, I have been thinking about law school lately.

:)

daisy

Post by daisy » Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:34 pm

Treed, you're hired. Get the next plane over, first class, all expenses paid.

I've found out that the Housing Benefit I'm on increases if I'm unemployed. Technically the contract is still in effect. I've left my sister a voicemail as she works in HR.

Kanzer

Post by Kanzer » Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:22 pm

I fudge love to see work being done. I hope you manage to get your mind off bad thoughts, Dave, because I don't care what you're gonna be thinking if anything went bad on Monday, I'm still gonna be waiting for you in Steam for a Portal 2 co-op (no hurry).

The easy way out is no solution to any problem, it's creating another problem for everyone around, the worst thing about it being that those that are gonna be saddened by the loss are the very people that actually cared and wanted to help. So yeah, just think about it: you've come this far against insurmountable odds. Whatever it is you cannot do? You can really overcome this, seriously. You just have to believe in yourself, just like we do.
if you burn down all of spain in your quest for thrills, that doesn't mean you get to move to a new country. it means you have to clean up afterward - Deoxy
I won the Pointless Adventure of Nopor Puss - winning command: FALCOWN PAUNCH the Pac-Man.

daisy

Post by daisy » Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:21 am

I found the contract with my HR sis. They've pretty much covered their arses regarding doing a runner. The only time they wouldn't go to great lengths to get money back is if I was let go under compassionate grounds. (???) The guy at work I'm dealing with the manager of the contract the firm has with KPMG, as I'm a contractor. He tried to scam me out of overtime pay about 18 months ago because I earned a payrise shortly after doing the overtime. If he isn't very cooperative then I may write a letter to the dude above him.

My trial shift went okay. Incredibly laid-back. I mean, I was invited to play a few games of Jenga (my word that game is tense) by the supervisor 30 mins into my shift because nothing was happening.

Treedweller

Post by Treedweller » Fri Apr 12, 2013 2:11 am

So does this mean that you're going to arrange a repayment plan with work?

That said, were you let go from your job, or did you leave? If it's the former, you could argue that you were let go on compassionate grounds, though I'd have to look up exactly what that term means under UK labour laws.

daisy

Post by daisy » Fri Apr 12, 2013 2:13 am

Officially I'm on long-term sick leave and have been since September. I say officially but I have no intention of returning.

The stress just hit me. Resisting the knife and holding back the tears. Need to do something to calm the fudge down. Stupid fudge emo.

Treedweller

Post by Treedweller » Fri Apr 12, 2013 2:25 am

Okay, that won't work. Fine. So you're on sick leave, but no longer receiving statutory sick pay (SSP) from your employer (that's finished after 28 weeks). Also fine. So I'd be correct to assume that you're no longer receiving any income from work, yes?

Honey, could you privately send me a picture of your contract? I need one sharp enough to see all its fine details. I know your sis in HR already took a look, but I want to see for myself if they consider money that you owe them 'civil debt' or not. If they don't, it might be in your best interests to officially quit (especially if your housing benefit increases), but we'll see what it says first.

And hon, we're here for you. Don't get stressed, we're taking care of you.

daisy

Post by daisy » Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:51 am

I am still getting SSP from my employer. I'm not sure why. I've emailed them to ask.

If I resign then I am no longer eligible for benefit and I won't get the insurance (worth £1000 /month) from June. I have to have been fired or let go on compassionate grounds / doctors orders to get both.

Treedweller

Post by Treedweller » Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:23 am

Okay. Well, when things become clearer, let me know how I can help.

daisy

Post by daisy » Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:18 pm

College rang up to confirm interview. I asked what sort of clothes I should wear and the person said "whatever you feel comfortable in." Reading between the lines I don't think she means my usual band hoody + jeans.

I don't have a pair of decent shoes, and rragggh money.

Kanzer

Post by Kanzer » Sat Apr 13, 2013 9:17 pm

Wear comfortable clothes, just take some time to polish your looks. Everything clean, well groomed, that kind of stuff. Jeans and jacket or a sweater are always a nice option for any occasion, I don't know what the weather's being like up there but down here in Spain I'm fine with just a shirt in the middle hours of day already.

daisy

Post by daisy » Mon Apr 15, 2013 7:16 pm

Day of judgement.

Bonesy
3DS Code: 0318 8318 0000

Post by Bonesy » Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:15 pm

luck be with ye

daisy

Post by daisy » Tue Apr 16, 2013 2:04 am

Aced that crumpets. 86% on the maths and 100% on the English. Immediate offer of a place. Course may be free as I am under 25 and it is my first real Level 3 qualification.

Social worker rang the council and they agreed to continue to pay the £56 /week for the next 3 months.

Treedweller

Post by Treedweller » Tue Apr 16, 2013 2:26 am

I'm so happy for you, and so very proud. But I knew you'd do well because you're a brilliant kid.

Also school might be free, and you're getting your benefit for another three months? Neat!

daisy

Post by daisy » Tue Apr 16, 2013 2:28 am

Cheers. Yes, although they weren't happy about it, and it will take 2-3 weeks for them to clear it. Rent is £350 + council tax which is £70. I'm a couple of hundred short without my pay.

Still, big weight gone.

Dragonite

Post by Dragonite » Tue Apr 16, 2013 4:46 am

That's good to hear Bog. My math skills are rather average, so I'm impressed.
Last edited by Dragonite on Tue Apr 16, 2013 6:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kanzer

Post by Kanzer » Tue Apr 16, 2013 6:20 am

Wow, this is awesome! You, sir, are cool as fudge. And those are great news to hear. Brought an insta-smile to my face!

McTool

Post by McTool » Tue Apr 16, 2013 2:30 pm

Make good choices

daisy

Post by daisy » Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:42 pm

Ok so work have been in contact. Apparently they got it wrong AGAIN and I actually owe them £2,028.27. However they are refusing to factor tax in this! I am forfeiting my 20 days holiday pay to bring the total down to £751.47 but I still feel like I'm being scammed out of a few hundred...

Kanzer

Post by Kanzer » Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:15 pm

What does UK law have to say about that?

thefalman
Star CO
Star CO

Post by thefalman » Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:39 pm

Bog: I may be misunderstanding the situation, but by "refusing to factor in tax", do you mean that they want you to return the gross amount of pay you received - i.e. the amount you would have received before income tax? Logically speaking, if you've been overpaid then you've also paid too much tax - correct me if I'm wrong, but it sounds as if your employers want to take the easy way out so they don't have to go to the trouble of reclaiming the tax themselves. I'm not sure about what rights they have to do this, but my gut feeling is that the onus is probably on the employee (i.e. you) to reclaim overpaid Pay-As-You-Earn tax themselves.

The silver lining is that if your employers aren't going to reclaim the overpaid tax from the government then you sure as hell should do it yourself. Get in touch with HRMC (either phone them or write a letter explaining the situation) and hopefully they can help you sort it out. Might also be worth going to your local Citizen's Advice Bureau and seeing if they can offer any help.
It took me a solid three minutes to fully comprehend your hair, Fallers. - Deoxy
Yes fal, you've got a good sense of style, you're clean shaven, and the cat on your head dares not move itself.
You look awesome. - Shift Breaker

I swear, you two are the worst couple ever. You've somehow managed to PDA on the internet through text. - Xenesis

daisy

Post by daisy » Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:28 am

Yeah they want the gross amount in tax. I'll await a payslip to see if I get a tax rebate, as they auto-repaid tax without me doing anything after I went off sick last September. If not then I'll contact HMRC directly. (Ugh)