WWN goes to the gym

WWN's Social Lounge. The place to come and chill out for a relaxed conversation about life and stuff, or some more serious debates.
Treedweller

WWN goes to the gym

Post by Treedweller » Sat Sep 01, 2012 5:13 am

As some of you may know, your favourite Hobbes-look-alike Treed has signed up for a gym! Next Tuesday, I'll walk into a gym for the fourth time in my life, and use it for the first time in my life. Since exercise is more fun when you have people to talk about it with and keep you accountable, I have some questions for you kids. First, has anyone on WWN been to a gym? Or, at the very least, established a regular exercise routine?

If so, what strategies did you use to stick with your habit? At what intensity did you exercise, and when did you begin to see results? If you have any tips (whether they're about exercise technique or simply strategies for not looking like a total ass), share them!

I doubt that anyone on WWN goes to a gym; it's not that WWN doesn't have pretty people--you're all strikingly handsome gents and gals--but I've never heard anyone talk about it. Still, it'd be fun if a few us did so we could be virtual gym buds. We could share our experience through periodic diary entries (Dear WWN diary, ...), help budding body builders, and generally be better than everyone who goes to a gym but doesn't sign onto WWN afterwards. It'll be like our old Couch to 5K topic or the Wii Fit topic where Fal and I compared results (I won).

I know a gym membership can be expensive, but if you don't have one, why not invest in your health and join your bestie Treed?

McTool

Re: WWN goes to the gym

Post by McTool » Sat Sep 01, 2012 6:04 am

I go to the on campus gym at least twice a week. I bring something to read, a new playlist for every event, and try to stay for at least an hour. I would be happy to do gym-stories with you.

Do you plan on lifting or just doing cardio to start?
Make good choices

Treedweller

Post by Treedweller » Sat Sep 01, 2012 7:45 am

McTool wrote:I go to the on campus gym at least twice a week. I bring something to read, a new playlist for every event, and try to stay for at least an hour.

How can you read while you're working out? Don't you lose your concentration quickly, along with your place in the page? I tried that long ago with a treadmill, and it didn't work, and I also tried reading while lifting weights long ago, and that didn't work either.

Also, the subject of playlists: know any great dance/pop music for the gym? I'm setting up my first playlist in prep for Tuesday and Wednesday.
I would be happy to do gym-stories with you.
Hooray, and thank you, Toolio dear! I honestly believed that no one would respond to this topic. I'm thinking reports once a week would work great. That way, we won't exhaust ourselves with entries every two days. (Though if you have more to report that week, please do.)
Do you plan on lifting or just doing cardio to start?
Both cardio and strength-training.

My first couple weeks are with a personal trainer (I got it for cheap thanks to a friend), and the trainer said that he'd get me started on a good strength training program. I'm 170 lbs now, and I'd like to be about 180-185 lbs in muscle. That'll take a while (I'm not expecting to be even close for at least a year and a half or two) since I need to drop about 15-20 lbs in fat (think beer belly without the beer) and build it back in muscle.

In any case though, I'll wait until the trainer hooks me up with a good plan come Wednesday.

McTool

Post by McTool » Sat Sep 01, 2012 8:26 am

I tend to roll heavy electronic music at the gym, it keeps the blood pumping more than pop music does (although Party Rock Anthem suits any occasion). I tend to go on Soundcloud and look for DJ mixes, but two standbys that I come back to every now and then are Le Castle Vania's mixtapes and tunes, he does mostly heavy electro house and I find that works wonders for me. Bulletproof Tiger 1 + 2 and Radio Control are excellent hour long push-throughs.
http://soundcloud.com/lecastlevania
Make good choices

Kanzer

Post by Kanzer » Sat Sep 01, 2012 8:53 am

I've always been slim as fudge for what I can remember, but I do want to start exercising to get myself some meat on my bones and specially kick in the ass the nasty asthma that has been growing on me for a year and a half. I need to get my mind about this, figure out a good exercise routine for me. I know who I can ask for advice so I'll be able to get into it soon enough. I'll be glad to report around here.
if you burn down all of spain in your quest for thrills, that doesn't mean you get to move to a new country. it means you have to clean up afterward - Deoxy
I won the Pointless Adventure of Nopor Puss - winning command: FALCOWN PAUNCH the Pac-Man.

Kanzer

Post by Kanzer » Sat Sep 01, 2012 9:12 am

Oh, I miss that. Never did that since I broke my hand this April.
if you burn down all of spain in your quest for thrills, that doesn't mean you get to move to a new country. it means you have to clean up afterward - Deoxy
I won the Pointless Adventure of Nopor Puss - winning command: FALCOWN PAUNCH the Pac-Man.

thefalman
Star CO
Star CO

Post by thefalman » Sat Sep 01, 2012 11:15 am

Dear WWN Diary, today I joined a gyhaha just kidding. It'd be a miracle if I even get back on my long-neglected Wii Fit board.

More power to those that do though, I just have absolutely no inclination for it - although when my metabolism finally crashes on me then it might be a different story...
It took me a solid three minutes to fully comprehend your hair, Fallers. - Deoxy
Yes fal, you've got a good sense of style, you're clean shaven, and the cat on your head dares not move itself.
You look awesome. - Shift Breaker

I swear, you two are the worst couple ever. You've somehow managed to PDA on the internet through text. - Xenesis

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO
3DS Code: 2535-4646-7163

Post by Xenesis » Sat Sep 01, 2012 11:42 am

I must admit, I hate gyms. I find them stuffy and uncomfortable.

Much rather just do my exercise outside and go for a run down the street or something.
IST wrote:Even the worst individual needs to discover the joys of a chicken statue that is also a pregnant blonde housewife.

Treedweller

Post by Treedweller » Sat Sep 01, 2012 11:46 am

McTool wrote:I tend to roll heavy electronic music at the gym, it keeps the blood pumping more than pop music does (although Party Rock Anthem suits any occasion). I tend to go on Soundcloud and look for DJ mixes, but two standbys that I come back to every now and then are Le Castle Vania's mixtapes and tunes, he does mostly heavy electro house and I find that works wonders for me. Bulletproof Tiger 1 + 2 and Radio Control are excellent hour long push-throughs.
http://soundcloud.com/lecastlevania
This sounds like neat gym music. I'll download some of it and include it in my playlist. Thank you, my dear.

On the subject of fun gym music, have you heard of Rustie? He makes deliciously cheesy music that sounds like it belongs in games (I think 'Death Mountain' has something to do with Zelda, but I can't recognize the Death Mountain tune in it), and he's even Pitchfork approved. I have no clue what genre to classify him under (I have one mental entry for electronic dance music), but Le Castle Vania reminded me of him.
I've always been slim as fudge for what I can remember, but I do want to start exercising to get myself some meat on my bones and specially kick in the ass the nasty asthma that has been growing on me for a year and a half. I need to get my mind about this, figure out a good exercise routine for me. I know who I can ask for advice so I'll be able to get into it soon enough. I'll be glad to report around here.
That's a super idea for controlling your asthma. My brother has asthma too, and exercise did wonders for reducing the frequency and severity of his attacks. Get into a routine soon, and let us know what it is regardless of whether you sign up with a gym or not.
i'm a big fan of punching bags
Me too. We wouldn't happen to be Scisters, would we?
Dear WWN Diary, today I joined a gyhaha just kidding. It'd be a miracle if I even get back on my long-neglected Wii Fit board.

More power to those that do though, I just have absolutely no inclination for it - although when my metabolism finally crashes on me then it might be a different story...
Bad news, Fally dear: your metabolism is already starting to crash. After 25 years old, most men's metabolism begins its slow descent to prepare for the pudgy balding 40-something stage. The sooner you begin exercising, the better.

Besides, wouldn't you want to be even more handsome than you already are? Fally the muscular music journalist with a British accent. Swoon.

Treedweller

Post by Treedweller » Sat Sep 01, 2012 11:51 am

Xenesis wrote:I must admit, I hate gyms. I find them stuffy and uncomfortable.

Much rather just do my exercise outside and go for a run down the street or something.
Actually, most modern chains build spacious gyms nowadays, Xen dear. The four that I toured when I was shopping around were big and well-ventilated.

But if you just want to run outside, that's great too. Why not report your progress here when you feel like it? Success stories make me warm and fuzzy inside.

thefalman
Star CO
Star CO

Post by thefalman » Sat Sep 01, 2012 1:00 pm

Treedweller wrote:Bad news, Fally dear: your metabolism is already starting to crash. After 25 years old, most men's metabolism begins its slow descent to prepare for the pudgy balding 40-something stage. The sooner you begin exercising, the better.

Besides, wouldn't you want to be even more handsome than you already are? Fally the muscular music journalist with a British accent. Swoon.
Well, that's disappointing to hear. Probably won't get me anywhere near a gym, but I may have to consider some sort of exercise outside of lifting beer crates and running around like an idiot at work.

And to be honest, I've never thought I'd look more handsome if I was more muscular (my waif-like figure is surely part of the charm), but I suppose that's entirely subjective. I guess it wouldn't harm if what little muscle there is became slightly more toned though.
It took me a solid three minutes to fully comprehend your hair, Fallers. - Deoxy
Yes fal, you've got a good sense of style, you're clean shaven, and the cat on your head dares not move itself.
You look awesome. - Shift Breaker

I swear, you two are the worst couple ever. You've somehow managed to PDA on the internet through text. - Xenesis

onewaystreet

Post by onewaystreet » Sat Sep 01, 2012 1:19 pm

My big problem with exercise is that I can't stand being in one place at the same time, so I really hate going to gyms. I might try and swim some this semester, as that's good exercise with the added bonus of not having to look at anything.
thefalman wrote:Honestly, just when I thought we could all have a nice topic about mocking ridiculously, overly hardcore fundamentalists, it has to turn into a religious debate.

You bastards.
thefalman wrote:
RadioShadow wrote:Including having SEX? :o
I know it's an alien concept to you RS, but there's no need to act so surprised.

Atticus

Post by Atticus » Sat Sep 01, 2012 1:37 pm

I actually seem to recall reading in multiple places that exercising outside is one of the best stress relievers out there. But then any exercise is better than none. I think the reason nobody talks about it is the connotation of "going to the gym", which tends to be associated more with people who are already in pretty good shape and trying to keep it up rather than people trying to get in shape.

I've actually been going to the gym most days for the last month or so, because I start band camp Sunday and I wanted to get a slight head start. Sousaphones suck up a lot of air and I've never done field marching before so I expect to hit the bed at the end of every day utterly exhausted, but I do think I'll be better prepared than I was before.

What I've been doing: well, I spent the first couple of weeks just hitting the treadmill at increasing speeds to work on endurance, but once I felt better about that I started mixing up my routine, and now I alternate days in the gym on the treadmill with doing bodyweight exercises at home, because I know many people who have gotten in great shape without equipment (although I think I should get myself a pull-up bar). When I'm in the gym, I'm alternating days of solid walking with interval runs- a quick run at near top speed, then slowing down to a slow walk to let the heart and legs rest. I've managed to shed the ten pounds I gained during the beginning of summer through a combination of this and some changes in diet, mostly cutting out fast food entirely, limiting myself to one non-water drink per day, and some general portion and snacking control. I'm hoping I can continue this pattern once I'm out of the South and away from delicious unhealthy soul food. If I can drop about twenty more pounds of fat, that would be great. I've also developed some pretty large calf muscles, so now I'm trying to even that out across my body. I don't think I'll ever be extremely muscular by any means, but I'd like to try.

What's motivated me to keep going: A few things. First, I started reading A Game of Thrones and promised myself I could only read while on the treadmill. Reading on a tablet instead of an actual book makes things easier if that's an option, because you don't have to hold the pages open and you can make the font nice and big. Since I quickly got very engaged in the story, it got me going back because I wanted to continue. I listen to a variety of music, but it irritates me when the music tempo doesn't sync with my walking pace (which I guess means I'm ready for marching band).

Also this topic fits in nicely with my other big motivator: one of my best friends has also been trying to get in shape, and though we were going to different gyms and are now in different states, it's a good motivator to be able to say "Hey, how was the workout?" and talking about progress, goals, etc.
"Attie, man. When did you become this totally kickass dude?"- Linky
"Personally, I'm perfectly fine with anything that makes this world not suck to live in"- SJCrew

ThunderWalker

Post by ThunderWalker » Sat Sep 01, 2012 10:42 pm

Deoxy wrote:i'm a big fan of punching bags
This.

And I can lift my 140lbs punching bag with ease (which is necessary if I want to use it, since it's in an awkward place to save room in the outhouse), so that's fine, and my condition isn't as bad as one might expect considering I'm too lazy for gyms.

And aside, why does every guy want to look muscular? I don't see the point of it (and my length is also a solid counterargument since the combination of being 6' 10" and muscular as well is slightly intimidating to most)
My sig is a void.

Narts

Post by Narts » Sun Sep 02, 2012 12:19 am

Free gym membership is one of my work benefits, but I've never made use of it. I have some doubts as to whether I would enjoy it much at all. I know "enjoying it" is not the point, but I'm awful at maintaining habits of doing things I don't like. Playing badminton is working out better for me than doing repetitive movements ever did - it engages the mind as well as the body and it's inherently social too.

I imagine this would be the perfect gym song.

daisy

Post by daisy » Sun Sep 02, 2012 8:15 am

Treedweller wrote:
McTool wrote:Also, the subject of playlists: know any great dance/pop music for the gym? I'm setting up my first playlist in prep for Tuesday and Wednesday.
Not sure if it's what you're looking for but...

Anything by The Prodigy is awesome.

Immersion by Pendulum. Hold Your Colour may also be good but it's got a few slowish tracks. Also check this out. (I love that tune purely because it samples Red Alert, like one of my fave RTS games.)

McTool

Post by McTool » Sun Sep 02, 2012 8:42 am

Yeah Pendulum is definitely good gym music, I do Immersion and Hold Your Colour a lot. Similarly, some of Infected Mushroom's later work (from Vicious Delicious onwards) is pretty excellent gym stuff, there are slow tracks but stuff like "Becoming Insane" and their version of the Foo Fighter's "The Pretender" go hard as all hell and when you're doing cardio stuff especially it really pushes you to move faster during sprints (assuming you do what I do which is slow for 30 seconds, sprint for 10, slow for 30, sprint for 10, repeat until warmed up).
Make good choices

Linkman
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Linkman » Sun Sep 02, 2012 10:36 am

Am considering joining one. Have been for a while.
"everytime I try to draw xen I end up drawing a kangaroo smoking a cigar while chainsawing a tree" - Deoxy
"I can't believe I'm the only person who voted Stallone. His appeal lies in watching is movies again and again just to hear what the hell he's talking about." - Kilteh

McTool

Post by McTool » Sun Sep 02, 2012 11:42 am

Treed, I missed the part in your post where you asked what helped you stick to your habit: rewards work tremendously, as do gym buddies (if you can find one). Rewards can be large at the start (if I go to the gym, I will buy an album to listen to the next time I go to the gym) but after a while you'll find going to the gym is its own reward and you'll stick with it regardless.
Make good choices

daisy

Post by daisy » Sun Sep 02, 2012 10:27 pm

McTool wrote:Yeah Pendulum is definitely good gym music, I do Immersion and Hold Your Colour a lot. Similarly, some of Infected Mushroom's later work (from Vicious Delicious onwards) is pretty excellent gym stuff, there are slow tracks but stuff like "Becoming Insane" and their version of the Foo Fighter's "The Pretender" go hard as all hell and when you're doing cardio stuff especially it really pushes you to move faster during sprints (assuming you do what I do which is slow for 30 seconds, sprint for 10, slow for 30, sprint for 10, repeat until warmed up).
If Pendulum ever tour again, go see them. One of the most insane gigs I have ever been to.

HPD
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by HPD » Mon Sep 03, 2012 12:14 am

daisy wrote:If Pendulum ever tour again, go see them. One of the most insane gigs I have ever been to.
Seconded.
"So when I say the fudge shaman flies he goddamn well flies and that's that." - Narts
"My motto is that there are far too many women in the world to waste time with men." - thefalman
"It's just that I'm not really aware of how a common conversation goes." - Imano Ob, talking on MSN about talking on MSN
"As for FE8, that was IS' variant of Man Spam - Dudes with Swords edition." - Xenesis

daisy

Post by daisy » Mon Sep 03, 2012 1:38 am

Narts

Post by Narts » Mon Sep 03, 2012 1:53 am

STOP THAT. Bleeding imbeciles. There already is a... "music" topic for all your posting diarrhea needs.

Treedweller

Post by Treedweller » Mon Sep 03, 2012 2:19 am

Yeah, I know I asked, but let's leave it to the music topic, kiddies. Thanks for the suggestions though, Boggly dear.
Last edited by Treedweller on Mon Sep 03, 2012 3:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Treedweller

Post by Treedweller » Mon Sep 03, 2012 3:32 am

onewaystreet wrote:My big problem with exercise is that I can't stand being in one place at the same time, so I really hate going to gyms. I might try and swim some this semester, as that's good exercise with the added bonus of not having to look at anything.
Swimming's good exercise too, but I don't like it. If you do get into a regular habit, let us know, oneway dear. Do you have some weight you'd like to lose, or would you do it just to get healthier?
Atticus wrote:I've managed to shed the ten pounds I gained during the beginning of summer through a combination of this and some changes in diet, mostly cutting out fast food entirely, limiting myself to one non-water drink per day, and some general portion and snacking control. I'm hoping I can continue this pattern once I'm out of the South and away from delicious unhealthy soul food. If I can drop about twenty more pounds of fat, that would be great. I've also developed some pretty large calf muscles, so now I'm trying to even that out across my body. I don't think I'll ever be extremely muscular by any means, but I'd like to try.
Good for you, Atty! Ten pounds is huge: you're no longer uselessly carrying that bulk around with you. I'm also trying to control my portions and out-of-hand snacking (which mostly amounts to sugary treats), so we'll see how that goes. Keep it up, hon.
ThunderWalker wrote:And aside, why does every guy want to look muscular? I don't see the point of it (and my length is also a solid counterargument since the combination of being 6' 10" and muscular as well is slightly intimidating to most)

Not every guy wants to look muscular. I just want to be leaned and toned, a look which works for everyone whether they're four or ten feet tall. For the record though, I think tall guys look better with a little bulk. Otherwise, they look like stretched twigs.
Narts wrote:Free gym membership is one of my work benefits, but I've never made use of it. I have some doubts as to whether I would enjoy it much at all. I know "enjoying it" is not the point, but I'm awful at maintaining habits of doing things I don't like. Playing badminton is working out better for me than doing repetitive movements ever did - it engages the mind as well as the body and it's inherently social too.
I also thought of playing a sport because it's easier for me to exercise if I'm not conscious that I'm exercising. If I'm playing soccer or badminton, I'm only thinking about the game, not how winded I am. I don't like the people in my immediate social circle that play sports, though, so that's scratched off my list.

How long've you been playing badminton, Narts dear? Is it with people from your work?
McTool wrote:Treed, I missed the part in your post where you asked what helped you stick to your habit: rewards work tremendously, as do gym buddies (if you can find one). Rewards can be large at the start (if I go to the gym, I will buy an album to listen to the next time I go to the gym) but after a while you'll find going to the gym is its own reward and you'll stick with it regardless.
I have one friend who goes to the gym a lot, and he has a membership with the same gym chain that I do. But, he's flaky as fudge and a frankly competitive guy; I think he'd be more interested in one-upping me than teaching me what I need to know. I'll go with him when I have a handle on what I'm doing (in about a month).

I really like the idea of rewarding myself after each session. I'll probably promise myself (cheap) games or new music after each gym session.

Treedweller

Post by Treedweller » Mon Sep 03, 2012 3:41 am

Linkman wrote:Am considering joining one. Have been for a while.
Oh, and please do, Linky hon! You could be part of me and Toolio's exclusive WWN gym buddy club.

Narts

Post by Narts » Mon Sep 03, 2012 4:52 am

also thought of playing a sport because it's easier for me to exercise if I'm not conscious that I'm exercising. If I'm playing soccer or badminton, I'm only thinking about the game, not how winded I am. I don't like the people in my immediate social circle that play sports, though, so that's scratched off my list.

How long've you been playing badminton, Narts dear? Is it with people from your work?
Since around the beginning of this year. Not related to any resolution of any sort, just co-incidence. I started playing with a long time friend, but a few months ago I learned there was also a small circle of people at work who play (and the company pays the expenses)

It shouldn't be that hard to find someone interested, you probably just haven't been trying. It doesn't have to be anyone who already plays, badminton equipment is cheap and it's an easy hobby to get into. You could just ask someone you like if they'd like to play with you.

onewaystreet

Post by onewaystreet » Mon Sep 03, 2012 5:35 am

Treedweller wrote:Swimming's good exercise too, but I don't like it. If you do get into a regular habit, let us know, oneway dear. Do you have some weight you'd like to lose, or would you do it just to get healthier?
Yes to both, really. My problem is while in my brain I want to exercise/be healthier, I can't really find an exercise regimen that I *really* enjoy and can do consistently.
thefalman wrote:Honestly, just when I thought we could all have a nice topic about mocking ridiculously, overly hardcore fundamentalists, it has to turn into a religious debate.

You bastards.
thefalman wrote:
RadioShadow wrote:Including having SEX? :o
I know it's an alien concept to you RS, but there's no need to act so surprised.

Alecat

Post by Alecat » Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:29 am

Badmin' can be quite a run-around, but it's a sport more centred on deftness than strength. You aren't going to be pummelling the shuttle like a tennis player would hit a tennis ball.

I should get out and badmin more. All the badminton groups are heaps crowded though and I am lazy.

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO
3DS Code: 2535-4646-7163

Post by Xenesis » Mon Sep 03, 2012 12:19 pm

Treedweller wrote:Actually, most modern chains build spacious gyms nowadays, Xen dear. The four that I toured when I was shopping around were big and well-ventilated.

But if you just want to run outside, that's great too. Why not report your progress here when you feel like it? Success stories make me warm and fuzzy inside.
It's not so much the buildings themselves but the atmosphere. Kinda like how I always find hospitals depressing.
IST wrote:Even the worst individual needs to discover the joys of a chicken statue that is also a pregnant blonde housewife.

Sven

Post by Sven » Mon Sep 03, 2012 1:38 pm

starting tuesday :)

Treedweller

Post by Treedweller » Mon Sep 03, 2012 1:43 pm

Me too :) We're gonna besties, Sven.

Sven

Post by Sven » Mon Sep 03, 2012 1:52 pm

i visited my local city gym during the summer but practically fainted keeping up with an athletic friend's workout, was just too much.

with work winding down i want a way to still be doing things next week. exercise will help lol.

i'll post my plan and stuff tomorrow.

Sven

Post by Sven » Wed Sep 05, 2012 6:40 am

did day one of couch to 5k's running program today, gonna go for a bike ride tonight.

Treedweller

Post by Treedweller » Wed Sep 05, 2012 1:04 pm

04/09/12

First day. I went to an hour-long weight-lifting/strength-training class with barbells, since I felt more comfortable being led in exercises than half-heartedly fiddling with the machines in the gym. We did difficult squats, difficult lifts, and difficult lunges, though I contented myself with the weight that the instructor recommended to new guys. I kept up pretty finely for the most part and the instructor was super nice. I still felt a bit like an ass, especially at the end when I got a little shakier lifting the barbell.

The class was about 30:70 male:female; I know this sounds silly, but I would've preferred there to be a couple more guys, though the gender balance was comfortable enough.

I'll definitely be going back every Tuesday evening to start building my strength. First day of personal training's tomorrow morning--I hope I won't be too sore from this class.

In terms of diet and exercise outside the gym: I'm cutting out most of the sugar in my diet and planning to walk home each day from the university (a 30 minute walk).
Last edited by Treedweller on Thu Sep 06, 2012 12:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Treedweller

Post by Treedweller » Wed Sep 05, 2012 1:05 pm

Sven wrote:did day one of couch to 5k's running program today, gonna go for a bike ride tonight.
And great work, my dear! Planning on focusing on your cardio for a while?

Sven

Post by Sven » Wed Sep 05, 2012 2:34 pm

I'm okay with putting off only one of either aerobic exercise or strength training until my school year starts next week. running around the neighbourhood ended up being a lot easier than putting up with the commute to and from the campus gym.

as a self note, until im wayyyyyyyyyy more comfortable with it bike riding is gonna have to be done between sunrise and 8 AMish instead of after sunset. every single time I saw a car on the road I was reminded of the fact I had little to no control over the bike compared to what I remember having; was definitely freaking me out. gonna get back on it tomorrow and just try to lengthen the ride a little bit.

my diet is a fudge mess that I really need to spend some time looking at. i get maybe one actual meal and a meal of fast food everyday now.

Sven

Post by Sven » Wed Sep 05, 2012 3:16 pm

meh, why feel bad about having suboptimal form on your first lifting day? you were trying, that's the main thing that matters here.

grats on the diet change too, i find them to be super tricky to keep up :/.

Treedweller

Post by Treedweller » Thu Sep 06, 2012 1:07 am

05/09/12

My first day with the personal trainer. He was super nice and an enjoyable guy to work with. To start, he weighed and measured me: thankfully, my body fat wasn't very high, so he said it wouldn't take me too long to reach my goals. Then, he had me do basic exercises--squats, pulls, presses as well as some time on the machines.

There was one unfortunate thing, though: he took my blood pressure on a machine, and it was so high that he almost had to turn me away and save my lesson until I had seen a doctor. It was very worrying because last I checked (which was admittedly a few years ago), my blood pressure was unusually low. We're going to check it again next time. I hope it was more due to nerves than any kind of condition, especially at my age.

In any case, after the lesson and class yesterday, I feel a little sore. One last note: I won't be going to that class on Tuesdays until I'm finished with the trainer. I already knew it when I went yesterday, but the trainer told me that I shouldn't be strength-training two days in a row.

So all in all, I'm happy that things went so well, but I really hope the blood pressure thing was just an anomaly.

Treedweller

Post by Treedweller » Thu Sep 06, 2012 1:10 am

Sven wrote:meh, why feel bad about having suboptimal form on your first lifting day? you were trying, that's the main thing that matters here.

grats on the diet change too, i find them to be super tricky to keep up :/.
Yeah, you should watch that fast food, my dear. It adds up to something awful before not long, even if it's somewhere with a reputation for being healthy.

And don't force yourself too long on your bike if you don't feel comfortable yet! Take your time and ease into relearning how to ride; I know biking is something a person apparently never forgets, but confidence on a bike definitely needs to be relearned when you're rusty. No need to get into a collision with a vehicle.