WWN goes to the gym

WWN's Social Lounge. The place to come and chill out for a relaxed conversation about life and stuff, or some more serious debates.
McTool

Re: WWN goes to the gym

Post by McTool » Sun Jul 20, 2014 6:24 am

I am super jealous, that's awesome! I can barely grunt out 20 pushups in two sets of 10. What are you doing for break times between sets, and any tips on form?
Make good choices

Treedweller

Post by Treedweller » Mon Jul 21, 2014 12:56 pm

I do a minute and thirty seconds between sets, but if I need a few extra seconds, I listen to my body. As for form, I mostly followed this guy's advice:

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/02 ... r-push-up/

That post has links to other super fancy variations like one-foot and plyometric, but I ain't crazy enough to put myself through that yet. Later, when I'm stronger and sexier? Probably.

Other than form, I just added one push-up each workout. So if you can do two sets of ten, next time, try two sets of 11 then 10. That way, you're barely besting yourself in each workout. But, you're also not pushing yourself so hard that you're extending your muscles' normal recovery time.

See if that works, hon.

McTool

Post by McTool » Sat Aug 16, 2014 12:53 am

Guess who started lifting weights again

Awww yeah this guy

Guess who still can't bench press for crumpets

Awww yeah also this guy

In seriousness I started doing a weight circuit at my local gym and I'm averaging 80-90 on most machines/muscle groups. I shoot for 3 sets of 10 reps a piece, increasing by five pounds each time and going until failure. If I get that full ten pound increase and complete all reps, I start the next time five pounds higher (I started at 70 on most machines, 60 on a few to play it safe).

Do I feel about a zillion times better after every time I go now since I feel like I'm working towards a goal (triple digits on all machines is the current one). YES
Make good choices

Twelve Boats

Post by Twelve Boats » Sat Aug 16, 2014 1:32 pm

keep it up
the dream

Hexagon

Post by Hexagon » Mon Aug 18, 2014 6:14 am

hell yeah weights join the club

although I seriously encourage free weights since they work your natural range of motion (Starting Strength and Stronglifts are great starting places if you need a guide)

that being said, my experience with machines is particularly skewed because I'm too short for the vast majority of them but yeah
Omnes adsint, quamvis dementi, quamvis nefasti

kiwi

Post by kiwi » Sun Aug 24, 2014 1:34 pm

my sleep schedule is out of whack and I need to whack it back
why'd I put this here? because it's sooooo out of it that I am EVEN MORE unhealthy because of it

I've read eating when you wake up at the desired time helps your body adjust faster, but so far I just go back to sleep

Sven

Post by Sven » Sun Aug 24, 2014 2:15 pm

my sleep is... pretty flexible at times. here's what works for me in order from easiest to "probably won't work":

1) eating/drinking stupid amounts of water+coffee in the morning. likewise, not eating when you want to be sleeping.

2) getting into "people can reasonably see me outdoors" clothes asap. bonus points if you leave the house.

3) morning exercise.

4) second alarm delayed 10 min after first.

Narts

Post by Narts » Sun Aug 24, 2014 3:49 pm

Well when I find that I'm sleeping at day and being up at night I just keep going to sleep later and later until it flips around and it's normal again

Of course the challenge is keeping it there if you have no work or school to force you from reverting back to vampire schedule

Twelve Boats

Post by Twelve Boats » Mon Aug 25, 2014 1:12 am

sleeping pills are nice too, if you're really having trouble going back
the dream

onewaystreet

Post by onewaystreet » Mon Aug 25, 2014 2:01 am

Sven wrote:4) second alarm delayed 10 min after first.
I do this, and it's pretty much necessary since I zombie my way through the first alarm. Pisses off my girlfriend at times but you gotta wake up!
thefalman wrote:Honestly, just when I thought we could all have a nice topic about mocking ridiculously, overly hardcore fundamentalists, it has to turn into a religious debate.

You bastards.
thefalman wrote:
RadioShadow wrote:Including having SEX? :o
I know it's an alien concept to you RS, but there's no need to act so surprised.

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO
3DS Code: 2535-4646-7163

Post by Xenesis » Mon Aug 25, 2014 7:28 am

Same. But I'm a phd student who probably doesn't sleep enough.
IST wrote:Even the worst individual needs to discover the joys of a chicken statue that is also a pregnant blonde housewife.

McTool

Post by McTool » Mon Aug 25, 2014 11:24 pm

Morning exercise is absolutely the best and you don't even need to do much. Make a quick 10 minute yoga routine you can do in your room, not even kidding, and you'll be way more ready to tackle the day. There are a bazillion on YouTube you can just steal. Also, put your alarm clock literally as far away from your bed/futon/place of rest as possible.

Additional tips:

1) Use your bed only for sleeping. If you spend time in your bed gaming, reading, whatever (sex aside, obviously, unless you are rich enough to have like, two beds), your body is going to associate what should be your place of rest as a place of activity, and it'll be more hesitant to pass out there. This is *especially* true for gaming, given all the stimuli associated it with it.

2) Give yourself at least 30 minutes of end-of-day cooldown before bed where you avoid screens. This is repeated over and over everywhere and hated by everyone who hears it but it's 100% true. This goes even outside of bed; your brain gets way too worked up to calm down, and it throws your neurotransmitters out of wack (your body releases too much serotonin in particular). You're also probably going to have some fudge up dreams as a result.

3) Bringing it back to exercise, have a quick relaxing routine at the end of the day. It doesn't need to be identical to your morning routine (in fact, I recommend it isn't for the same reason as #1), and I'd focus on different muscle groups. I tend to do more active spinal stuff (sun salutations, half-moons, etc.) in the morning and slow breathing stuff (tai chi oriented, push the ball etc.) in the evening.
Make good choices

Sven

Post by Sven » Tue Aug 26, 2014 4:30 am

mctool pretty has the advice i got from a sleep doc when i went to one a couple years back. morning + evening routine, don't use bed outside of sleep, no screens before bed.

Sven

Post by Sven » Sat Aug 30, 2014 11:48 am

Sven wrote:regarding diet, i've managed about a month now of oatmeal in the mornings and pasta for lunch. it's just something about having the exact same portions everyday at this point for me. comboed with quitting caffeine, i've suddenly got stable energy levels. considering just last year I was eating mcdonalds for breakfast, poutine for lunch, and a leftover portion equivalent to what both my parents had for dinner, this is a marked improvement.

it's very weird, i have the general energy levels i had when i weighed 35 pounds less than now, but my mind is always shocked that my body needs to put so much work in to move around. it feels like someone's taped 20 pounds to my stomach every time i bend over - which might not be too far from the truth. i was out of breath climbing up a hill the other day, it was a terrifying feeling to realize how far i'd let myself go.
so i made this post back in like april, and i weighed about 190 pounds then, the scale told me i weigh 180 pounds now, so that's pretty cool. i didn't really do any 'organized' exercise in the period, but i'd play sports with friends and take long walks and such. i also ate a bit cleaner. not a lot cleaner. just a bit.

i'd like to share my goal here - my nearest subway station is exactly 5 kilometers away from my house. i'd like to be able to run there in the morning and run home from there in the evening one day.

Twelve Boats

Post by Twelve Boats » Sat Aug 30, 2014 2:10 pm

make it happen buddy
the dream

Sven

Post by Sven » Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:58 am

bought like 4kg of frozen veggies and negotiated freezer space for them. normally freezer is half meat/half ice cream.

decided to tone down the amount of pasta i'm eating, at first it was a good substitute for complete garbage but there were weeks this summer where sausage + pasta was basically all i ate after breakfast.

McTool

Post by McTool » Thu Sep 04, 2014 3:43 am

Over 100 on every machine except bench press last night (failed on third set of 95 because I have baby arms)

Feeling good, and I've upped the protein and took a lot of fat out my diet so my arms actually have something to work with. I continue to walk around everywhere in a tank top as a constant reminder that I want to keep looking good and fill that sucker out. On that Dean Ambrose Tank Top And Jeans swagger
Make good choices

Sven

Post by Sven » Thu Sep 04, 2014 12:45 pm

nice mctool. i'm sort of doing the same thing, except with me it's plaid buttoned shirts. <3, i missed them (had to switch to tshirts, was popping off too many buttons).

started a 100 pushup challenge yesterday, i don't think i really went to exhaustion but it was more trying to keep form together. we'll see how that goes, i'm a lot worse about doing stuff every other day than i am about daily things.

also please keep posting so that i don't end up quintuple posting :P.

Twelve Boats

Post by Twelve Boats » Thu Sep 04, 2014 2:18 pm

jogged two miles with the girl i was babysitting. little punk got all tuckered out by mile one, so i had to piggyback her the rest of the way
the dream

McTool

Post by McTool » Fri Sep 05, 2014 1:21 am

crumpets did you piggyback for a full mile? That's awesome, I can't comprehend carrying that weight for even a quarter of a mile without collapsing
Make good choices

Twelve Boats

Post by Twelve Boats » Fri Sep 05, 2014 1:36 am

yep, sure did. altho i think you don't quite understand: seven year old girls weigh, like, nothing. at all
the dream

Sven

Post by Sven » Fri Sep 05, 2014 2:36 am

still impressive

storytime:

so my first year of highschool i got to go to a school a 5 min walk away from my house. the building was old though, and the hs changed locations to a new building my second year. they're starting condo development with the land there, but the track is still barely visible, has parts where it dips into a drainage ditch, one corner is fenced off, another corner is extended slightly, etc, it's a worn down track okay?

i have a bunch of crumpets memories surrounding that track, running laps around it for phys ed first thing in the morning, always being one of the last people to finish up laps, posting the worst distances on 12 minute runs, worst times on 100M dash, etc. i had some weird asthma like condition but not actually asthma that left me wheezing and coughing after a lap. i think i went a month where i spent every morning doing two laps at the same pace never improving. went to a doc at the time, doc insisted it was nothing. so basically, i thought 1) my stamina was garbage. 2) there was nothing i was ever going to be able to do about it. needless to say i did not continue gym class and i basically avoided all forms of cardio for a few years afterwards, even though the mystery lung problems cleared up.

anyway, i did my run this morning around that track. i'm even slower than i was then :roll:. but i covered the same number of laps i had on my old 12 minute run in like... 14 minutes. so that's pretty cool. i also know i spent more of the time with my heart rate up even if i was way slower. i jogged 9 minutes of that 14 when i know that i only ran 4 of the 12 minutes way back, i got tons of crumpets for it then haha.

i guess i'm just grateful that i can actually have cardio improvements now, even if where i'm at is really fudge slow.

Sven

Post by Sven » Fri Sep 05, 2014 8:15 pm

ran today. daily habits are pretty easy for me to both form and break so i'm running erry day and posting here to keep me honest.

McTool

Post by McTool » Sat Sep 06, 2014 12:55 am

Awesome. I should probably keep a gym log on here as well for similar purposes; maybe upload my sheet after each session if we want full honesty
Make good choices

MysteriousLad

Post by MysteriousLad » Sat Sep 06, 2014 3:18 am

I've been chosen by a scout to play for The Hagues official youth waterpolo team. They are trying to crank up the level of play by training and working alot with new youth players. I'm wrecked after every training, I've only been playing for 2 years and the others in my team have been in it for up to 8 years! I train 3 times a week; Monday 1 hour swimming + 1 hour workout, Tuesday 1.5 hours swimming and Thursday 1 hour swimming. It's just been the holidays so I've lost my fitness (and my 6 pack :( ) and swimming 4+Km is really tiering without pauses.
Tommorow we have a tournament which starts at 8:00 and I need to leave at 6:45... Woop.
"i put on my robe and wizard hat" ~Pkdragon
"rocks fall everyone dies" ~HPD
Welcome to the optimistic world of WWN :D

And logic doesn't work on MysteriousLad... ~Kireato
Wait, wait, wait.

Organized crime is selling bagels on television? Since when? ~Dragon Fogel

Dragonite

Post by Dragonite » Sat Sep 06, 2014 6:44 am

MysteriousLad wrote:I've been chosen by a scout to play for The Hagues official youth waterpolo team. They are trying to crank up the level of play by training and working alot with new youth players. I'm wrecked after every training, I've only been playing for 2 years and the others in my team have been in it for up to 8 years! I train 3 times a week; Monday 1 hour swimming + 1 hour workout, Tuesday 1.5 hours swimming and Thursday 1 hour swimming. It's just been the holidays so I've lost my fitness (and my 6 pack :( ) and swimming 4+Km is really tiering without pauses.
Tommorow we have a tournament which starts at 8:00 and I need to leave at 6:45... Woop.
Interesting. I'm somewhat curious what you look like, but then you would have to change your nickname haha.

Sven

Post by Sven » Sat Sep 06, 2014 7:27 pm

coolio mctool, even posting a quick "went in today" is totally awesome.

big teams are hype, congrats mlad. good luck with training!

ran this morning. turned my mood from crumpets to content. weiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiird.

Twelve Boats

Post by Twelve Boats » Sun Sep 07, 2014 12:28 am

almost as if they're... connected? somehow?
the dream

MysteriousLad

Post by MysteriousLad » Sun Sep 07, 2014 2:06 am

Meh lost 4 times won 1, ah well, it's the first time the team's played together and trainings starting tommorow.
"i put on my robe and wizard hat" ~Pkdragon
"rocks fall everyone dies" ~HPD
Welcome to the optimistic world of WWN :D

And logic doesn't work on MysteriousLad... ~Kireato
Wait, wait, wait.

Organized crime is selling bagels on television? Since when? ~Dragon Fogel

Sven

Post by Sven » Sun Sep 07, 2014 8:00 pm

Twelve Boats wrote:almost as if they're... connected? somehow?
no way i don't believe you!!!!111

today was tenth day running to a plan. i think this might be the furthest i've ever gone on the couch to 5k plan. tomorrow's when school starts though, we'll see how it keeps up then.

gonna start looking at riding a bike again, should be different when it's only my legs bitching instead of my lungs going bananas.

Sven

Post by Sven » Mon Sep 08, 2014 7:39 pm

ran again. current route is getting slaughtered. gonna get to run through a park soon HYPE.

Sven

Post by Sven » Tue Sep 09, 2014 7:50 pm

day 12 of a plan. smashed my current route, my pace really picked up the past couple days.

gonna run through that park tomorrow!

also picked up a tiny meditation routine, just like 5 min a day for now i think. dunno how i feel about it. i do it in the mornings after the run so my mind's already in a pretty good space. maybe during the day.

Linkman
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Linkman » Wed Sep 10, 2014 11:15 am

I admire you people. I haven't done any real exercise in months.
"everytime I try to draw xen I end up drawing a kangaroo smoking a cigar while chainsawing a tree" - Deoxy
"I can't believe I'm the only person who voted Stallone. His appeal lies in watching is movies again and again just to hear what the hell he's talking about." - Kilteh

Hexagon

Post by Hexagon » Wed Sep 10, 2014 12:51 pm

I think the easiest way to get into exercise is to find something you like and try to get really good at it. I lift weights because I like the idea of picking up heavy crumpets and feel like a boss when I succeed, not because of any ostensible health/fitness benefits. Those are great, too, but really all I want to do is deadlift 300 pounds.

Linkman
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Linkman » Wed Sep 10, 2014 12:55 pm

136 kg? Holy fudge.
"everytime I try to draw xen I end up drawing a kangaroo smoking a cigar while chainsawing a tree" - Deoxy
"I can't believe I'm the only person who voted Stallone. His appeal lies in watching is movies again and again just to hear what the hell he's talking about." - Kilteh

Twelve Boats

Post by Twelve Boats » Wed Sep 10, 2014 2:11 pm

i for one thoroughly enjoy nature, so obviously my number one exercise is hiking

i also make it a mission to do at least one pull up every time i walk through a doorway
the dream

Sven

Post by Sven » Wed Sep 10, 2014 8:21 pm

>mfw tiny girl on the internet is stronger than me

UNACCEPTABLE(and awesome!!!)

also ran again. THIS FRIDAY I WILL RUN 21 MINUTES IN A ROW AND THE WORLD AND MY HEART WILL TREMBLE. BUT MOSTLY MY HEART.

also you can do it linkman you are boss.

kiwi

Post by kiwi » Wed Sep 10, 2014 10:53 pm

it turns out I was doing the opposite of all the sleep advice
and last night I didn't sleep, instead I read Kate Beaton comics

I am doing a bad job

McTool

Post by McTool » Thu Sep 11, 2014 12:57 am

Haven't had time to gym much lately, so I've doing kettlebell exercises and More Yoga than usual at home

Did you know kettlebells are a huge part of the Russian military workout program? Now you know
Make good choices

Hexagon

Post by Hexagon » Thu Sep 11, 2014 8:09 am

hiking is bomb as hell I'm just a pansy and don't like bugs and humidity (to be fair, the mosquitoes have been vicious this year)

also I'm not at 300 lb deadlift yet, that's gonna take like at least a year (at 205 now)