WWN goes to the gym

WWN's Social Lounge. The place to come and chill out for a relaxed conversation about life and stuff, or some more serious debates.
Linkman
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Re: WWN goes to the gym

Post by Linkman » Mon Sep 29, 2014 8:52 am

Are you stretching? Stretching is big.
"everytime I try to draw xen I end up drawing a kangaroo smoking a cigar while chainsawing a tree" - Deoxy
"I can't believe I'm the only person who voted Stallone. His appeal lies in watching is movies again and again just to hear what the hell he's talking about." - Kilteh

Sven

Post by Sven » Mon Sep 29, 2014 9:07 am

no stretching. athletic friends of mine don't stretch either/couch to 5k just told me to walk before i started running. pretty sure i'll be ok.

it was just the awful shoes i was running in before. they were fine when i was going at a slower pace but they didn't distribute my weight properly for the pace i'm at now. the problems cleared up immediately with the new shoes.

Linkman
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Linkman » Mon Sep 29, 2014 9:26 am

I had calf pains too, but I had running shoes from day one. What made it better was stretching.

Obviously it's up to you, but these simple three worked for me: calf, hamstring, quadriceps. Look 'em up here: http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-livin ... s-20076840

It's literally two minutes. You can afford the time. And if your athletic buddies disagree, here's the deal: they're wrong. I know plenty of fit people who sneer at stretching but any professional athlete or physician will tell you it's essential.
"everytime I try to draw xen I end up drawing a kangaroo smoking a cigar while chainsawing a tree" - Deoxy
"I can't believe I'm the only person who voted Stallone. His appeal lies in watching is movies again and again just to hear what the hell he's talking about." - Kilteh

McTool

Post by McTool » Tue Sep 30, 2014 2:00 am

I did the most cardio I've done in a long time yesterday just doing elliptical and now I understand why Netflix and things are on mobile devices
Make good choices

Sven

Post by Sven » Tue Sep 30, 2014 12:05 pm

did ~45 min this morning.

tomorrow i'm in the gym. dunno yet if i'm gonna do intervals or just jog around the track over and over. maybe i'll print out the starting strength stuff or w/e.

nah who am i kidding pumping iron too scary ima run from my problems yo

Bonesy
3DS Code: 0318 8318 0000

Post by Bonesy » Tue Sep 30, 2014 12:59 pm

the real benchmark of your strength is can you use a weenie dog to curl with and can you bench a great dane

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO
3DS Code: 2535-4646-7163

Post by Xenesis » Tue Sep 30, 2014 9:52 pm

Apparently I can now benchpress 60kg.

I'm pretty happy with that!
IST wrote:Even the worst individual needs to discover the joys of a chicken statue that is also a pregnant blonde housewife.

McTool

Post by McTool » Wed Oct 01, 2014 1:31 am

sven, I'd advise doing what I do, which is start on the weight machines before moving to free weights; the machines are a little more forgiving and less intimidating than a room full of swole dudes
Make good choices

Sven

Post by Sven » Wed Oct 01, 2014 6:22 am

ran 20 min at my comfortable pace. was starting to slow down slightly. gave myself choice of going to weights or going another half hour.

my legs seemingly moved themselves to the weight room on their own.

read 'em and weep boys (in pounds)

da bench:

75 3x5. my spotter guy had to save me on the last one.

dem squats:

i tried 95ish but went all wobbly immediately trying to get it off the rack.

then after someone was like "hey fudge you can lower the starting position" so that was sweet.

i think i did 65 once i actually got started. did 3x5.

dat deadlift:

80. movement felt very foreign, some dude saw me and was like "lol you gonna wreck your back don't do that". i did 1x5 but i def didn't do them right.
---
i guess i failed my run. :(. poop.

McTool

Post by McTool » Wed Oct 01, 2014 7:53 am

That's still sweet progress doe sick lats brah

3x5 = three sets of five reps? I've always seen reps first, sets second
Make good choices

Sven

Post by Sven » Wed Oct 01, 2014 12:37 pm

ya i mixed them up. it's what you thought.

i need more calories lol wut.

ThunderWalker

Post by ThunderWalker » Thu Oct 02, 2014 6:31 am

I'm waking up with push-ups and sit-ups every morning. I started my little exercise now more than a year ago mostly to just remain awake in the morning, but I'm finally noticing significant improvement. I couldn't do push ups for jack when I just started but now I can do a few dozen (3×8) if I want to.
With sit ups, most I've done is ninety (3×30), but again, I only do that if I want to.

Kinda lazy, I know. Usually I only do one set, because the sole purpose of it is to have a clear mind during the first few hours of the day when it normally would not be clear.
I don't need to lose weight (actually, I could gain a few pounds in fat), and gaining too much muscle would turn me into a hulk, both are things I don't really want so I have to be somewhat careful, at any rate.
My sig is a void.

Sven

Post by Sven » Thu Oct 02, 2014 11:18 am

no run today. weights tomorrow tho yay.

McTool

Post by McTool » Thu Oct 02, 2014 11:29 pm

I've extended my morning yoga routine

It is making my hour-long commute *much* more bearable
Make good choices

Sven

Post by Sven » Fri Oct 03, 2014 1:20 am

it's crazy how much that kind of stuff can alter your moods and how you can handle "being stuck". is good stuff.

Sven

Post by Sven » Fri Oct 03, 2014 8:32 am

ran 5k, a little under 32 min this time. gonna do strength on mwf.

Sven

Post by Sven » Sat Oct 04, 2014 11:10 am

skipped workout to do schoolwork. i foresee this becoming a bad trend :/

Twelve Boats

Post by Twelve Boats » Sun Oct 05, 2014 1:46 am

yet another reason to get a treadmill: you can do both
the dream

Sven

Post by Sven » Sun Oct 05, 2014 11:38 am

did 10k @ 1:13.

i guess i can do my original goal of hitting up the subway in the morning and running home.

woah.

Sven

Post by Sven » Mon Oct 06, 2014 9:29 am

29:53 on my 5k route yay. considering myself "done" couch to 5k now.

i think if you held a gun to my head I could probably do sub 29 or maybe even 28. i did the first half in close to 16 minutes. only really picked up with ~6 min left realizing that if i went fast i could probably barely squeak under 30.

not gonna consider myself able to do 10k until that's under an hour.
---
i guess the goal this week is to be doing strength training MWF and hit 50 km/week distance-wise.

McTool

Post by McTool » Tue Oct 07, 2014 1:37 am

Finally broke consistent 100lb+ 3x10s (3x5 bench) on my machine route.

Went home, took shower, realized my gut actually lines up with the top half of my body finally (still a little bit of a bump before pelvis+legs)

Felt good
Make good choices

Treedweller

Post by Treedweller » Tue Oct 07, 2014 10:26 am

I might've found a gym buddy! I wasn't going to go into that weight room all alone, so this is fantastic news.

I'll report back when I'm super swole.

Sven

Post by Sven » Tue Oct 07, 2014 12:57 pm

my scheds really starting to pickup, probably going to switch to weekly posts.

i think the only way im going to consistently get exercise in is by doing it first thing in the morning. i'm fudge terrible at getting it done if i haven't done it by 7pm or so.

Twelve Boats

Post by Twelve Boats » Wed Oct 08, 2014 4:02 am

Treedweller wrote:I might've found a gym buddy! I wasn't going to go into that weight room all alone, so this is fantastic news.

I'll report back when I'm super swole.
awww, how cute
the dream

McTool

Post by McTool » Thu Oct 09, 2014 1:05 am

Did some morning gym today

I think my leg adductors and abductors are furious at me for overworking them because I am sore as crumpets and walking sucks
Make good choices

Sven

Post by Sven » Tue Oct 14, 2014 7:46 am

this week was more miss than hit workoutwise.

did runs fri/sat/sun/today running for this week. but nothing on tues/wed/thurs. in particular, didn't hit up the gym because i spent all my schooltime doing schoolwork. :/.

o well

Sven

Post by Sven » Sun Oct 19, 2014 7:01 am

another week of skipping tues/wed. not sure if i want to accept that as just a schedule thing or not.

ran 12k in one run this week, that was cool.

no weights because im a silly person who can't manage to get himself to the gym on campus.

edit: sub 29 5k today wooo

Sven

Post by Sven » Fri Oct 24, 2014 8:59 pm

run run run. speedwork is harder on my knees. :(.

we're almost at two months in. my belt has run out of holes.

Sven

Post by Sven » Mon Nov 03, 2014 3:38 pm

two months in. 15 pounds down from my starting weight. i'm running between 4-5 times a week. most of them are 5k, but there's always at least one 10k+ run each week. i'm not really sure where i want to be going with the running. my longest run has been about 18k. i think at this point i'm so close to half marathon distance i may as well map out a 21k route and try it at least once.

i didn't hit the gym at all for the last half of october, i don't really enjoy it on top of it just being hard for me to remember to do when i'm so school focused.

so yeah. next step from here is probably doing some trackwork 2-3x a week, maybe spend some time doing hills. it sounds like work :(:(:(. i'll try a bunch of stuff this week to see if i can tolerate it, then post up a plan next week.

Twelve Boats

Post by Twelve Boats » Mon Nov 03, 2014 4:10 pm

i like the idea of trying out a marathon. seems like a nice little goal to motivate yourself!
the dream

Yuganon

Post by Yuganon » Thu Nov 13, 2014 3:43 am

just got back to the gym, did mostly arm stuff. still easing myself back into it

might start running again as well, but it's almost winter and i hate running inside :(
teabag a piranha tank, heart barely beatin'

Sven

Post by Sven » Fri Nov 21, 2014 8:58 am

Snow is here.

Gonna take an old pair of runners and put screws into them so that i can run on ice. oh god what is wrong with me.

Dragonite

Post by Dragonite » Fri Nov 21, 2014 9:26 am

The American continent is defenseless to the coming glorious invasion. I mean, what else could have cause that strange weather?

onewaystreet

Post by onewaystreet » Fri Nov 21, 2014 10:05 am

Lake effect, mostly

Poor Buffalo.
thefalman wrote:Honestly, just when I thought we could all have a nice topic about mocking ridiculously, overly hardcore fundamentalists, it has to turn into a religious debate.

You bastards.
thefalman wrote:
RadioShadow wrote:Including having SEX? :o
I know it's an alien concept to you RS, but there's no need to act so surprised.

Linkman
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Linkman » Sat Nov 29, 2014 11:32 am

Signed up for a gym. Oh noes!

Gonna try it out tomorrow!

Linkman
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Linkman » Sat Nov 29, 2014 11:35 am

P.s. the fact that I bought this on a Black Friday deal suggests we might become the 51st state some time in 2015.

Spanish pilgrims sharing a feast with mapuche natives (?)

hawkesnightmare

Post by hawkesnightmare » Sat Nov 29, 2014 3:56 pm

Black Friday has started being a thing all over the world. I think our next state (if there ever will be one) will end up being the Dominican Republic.
daisy: If the UK is worse than the present #5 in the world in terms of GDP come July 1st 2018 I will dye my hair pink.

Linkman
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Linkman » Sun Nov 30, 2014 5:44 am

Surely you mean Puerto Rico?

Anyways--worked out today! Began very light, but was very satisfying. I also made a fitocracy account which for the life of me I don't know how to link to.

hawkesnightmare

Post by hawkesnightmare » Sun Nov 30, 2014 11:16 am

Nah, Puerto Rico has opted to not be the 51st state so many times and by such a large margin, I don't know why we keep asking them.
daisy: If the UK is worse than the present #5 in the world in terms of GDP come July 1st 2018 I will dye my hair pink.

MysteriousLad

Post by MysteriousLad » Tue Dec 02, 2014 2:04 am

So are waterpolo team has been promoted to the highest youth division in South-Holland and we're 6th in South Holland. Woop.
"i put on my robe and wizard hat" ~Pkdragon
"rocks fall everyone dies" ~HPD
Welcome to the optimistic world of WWN :D

And logic doesn't work on MysteriousLad... ~Kireato
Wait, wait, wait.

Organized crime is selling bagels on television? Since when? ~Dragon Fogel