WWN goes to the gym

WWN's Social Lounge. The place to come and chill out for a relaxed conversation about life and stuff, or some more serious debates.
Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO
3DS Code: 2535-4646-7163

Re: WWN goes to the gym

Post by Xenesis » Tue Dec 02, 2014 4:32 pm

Last week I finished with my friend who's been personal training me.

I can squat 120 kg and bench like 80 kg now.

:D
IST wrote:Even the worst individual needs to discover the joys of a chicken statue that is also a pregnant blonde housewife.

kiwi

Post by kiwi » Sat Dec 06, 2014 2:42 pm

I am super sore from holiday HEAVY LIFTING and it's NOT OVER YET!

are there general stretches one may partake in to improve the body's range of motions? is yoga a good thing to do?? is there such a thing as COMBAT YOGA???

DieselPheonix

Post by DieselPheonix » Sun Dec 07, 2014 1:59 pm

Get a robot body. It will last longer.

Treedweller

Post by Treedweller » Sat Feb 07, 2015 12:49 pm

So I've continued to go to the gym. I started at ~150 lbs (at 5" 10.5'), and now I'm up to a consistent 160 lbs. My chest shows form, my arms are more defined, my back is like way hotter, and my abs are sure to turn up for the party as I build muscle and cut fat.

I've been benchpressing, squatting, and deadlifting in five sets of five. On off days, I do tabata sprints and jump rope. I'm also trying to get better at skating (on ice) and badminton because why the fudge not?

I came to an important realization: I'm a physical, athletic person. I don't mean that as a fluffy self-affirmation - "thinking I'm an athlete will make me one!" I mean that I crave physical challenges that ask me to move and manipulate my body, even if that only means lifting heavy chunks of metal and plastic in prescribed ways in front of other guys, gals, and non-gendered persons brave enough to reject useless binaries in a grody gym.

This does go beyond simply feeling good about or craving exercise, which I talked about earlier in this topic. It's about watching the world work on you, watching the objects you lift and pull morph your body in ways you don't control. You have no way of directly telling your body what to do - only eating and moving - and your body gets better on its own schedule. That's a cool and humbling idea.

So yeah, this gym thing has been nice. What about the rest of you kids? Any updates?

Pkdragon

Post by Pkdragon » Sat Feb 07, 2015 5:00 pm

treed that was the most erotic post you've ever written

well except for the bit about badminton

pics now
HPD wrote:You know the only thing on the agenda of the Squirtle Squad is pure, unadulterated chaos.

That, and watching Euros squirm.

Treedweller

Post by Treedweller » Sat Feb 07, 2015 5:16 pm

Pkdragon wrote:most erotic post you've ever written
I never knew you were sensitive to these kinds of subtleties, PK. Maybe you'd find more than my writing erotic???

Linkman
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Linkman » Sun Feb 08, 2015 1:44 am

Do go on
"everytime I try to draw xen I end up drawing a kangaroo smoking a cigar while chainsawing a tree" - Deoxy
"I can't believe I'm the only person who voted Stallone. His appeal lies in watching is movies again and again just to hear what the hell he's talking about." - Kilteh

Pkdragon

Post by Pkdragon » Sun Feb 08, 2015 5:12 am

i am way too sober for this right now

let me fix that then we'll talk
HPD wrote:You know the only thing on the agenda of the Squirtle Squad is pure, unadulterated chaos.

That, and watching Euros squirm.

Twelve Boats

Post by Twelve Boats » Tue Feb 10, 2015 3:57 pm

i hike so much i think i'm starting to understand Bird

"chirruurpprhiipp bipbip" - "i think that human has treats"
"breeeepweoobip" - "oh my goodness i was correct"
the dream

Treedweller

Post by Treedweller » Tue Feb 10, 2015 5:00 pm

Scis, you're just the best.

Twelve Boats

Post by Twelve Boats » Wed Feb 11, 2015 5:48 pm

i am one with the creatures
the dream

Sven

Post by Sven » Mon Feb 16, 2015 10:34 pm

protip: a thin pair of gloves is NOT enough to go running at -25c.

Twelve Boats

Post by Twelve Boats » Tue Feb 17, 2015 4:11 am

given that there's 73 inches of snow where i am, walking to the grocery store is a fudge workout
the dream

monkymeet
3DS Code: 3480-3067-3928

Post by monkymeet » Tue Feb 17, 2015 1:51 pm

Treedweller wrote:So I've continued to go to the gym. I started at ~150 lbs (at 5" 10.5'), and now I'm up to a consistent 160 lbs. My chest shows form, my arms are more defined, my back is like way hotter, and my abs are sure to turn up for the party as I build muscle and cut fat.

I've been benchpressing, squatting, and deadlifting in five sets of five. On off days, I do tabata sprints and jump rope. I'm also trying to get better at skating (on ice) and badminton because why the fudge not?

I came to an important realization: I'm a physical, athletic person. I don't mean that as a fluffy self-affirmation - "thinking I'm an athlete will make me one!" I mean that I crave physical challenges that ask me to move and manipulate my body, even if that only means lifting heavy chunks of metal and plastic in prescribed ways in front of other guys, gals, and non-gendered persons brave enough to reject useless binaries in a grody gym.

This does go beyond simply feeling good about or craving exercise, which I talked about earlier in this topic. It's about watching the world work on you, watching the objects you lift and pull morph your body in ways you don't control. You have no way of directly telling your body what to do - only eating and moving - and your body gets better on its own schedule. That's a cool and humbling idea.

So yeah, this gym thing has been nice. What about the rest of you kids? Any updates?
sploosh
imageshack swallowed up my sig. This is a placeholder.

Sven

Post by Sven » Thu Feb 19, 2015 1:10 pm

Treedweller wrote:What about the rest of you kids? Any updates?
Pretty much every winter I end up gaining 15+ pounds from a mix of no activity + eating like crumpets. This winter was pretty much the same thing except not quite as bad - running like once a week, eating awful food (just less of it compared to previous years), only five pounds gained.

However, this winter is fudge weird in that I can "feel" those five pounds way more than I ever felt the yo-yo I constantly had before. Less exercise pretty much immediately fudge up my sleep, and less sleep fudge up my judgement with regards to food/mood. I went from having maybe 14 fully functioning hours in a day where I could concentrate to a max of 8. Suddenly things like taking 10 minutes to prep lunch became these herculean tasks that soured my mood for the rest of the day. Almost anything going wrong could ruin my day, from missing my bus to getting a mark lower than I'd expected.

I'll probably never enjoy weights. I'm pretty neutral on the idea of running all things considered. But I'll gladly keep those habits for life if it'll keep my mood leveled.

tldr exercise is the most dangerous drug don't quit it.

Twelve Boats

Post by Twelve Boats » Thu Feb 19, 2015 4:39 pm

well said sven
the dream

MysteriousLad

Post by MysteriousLad » Thu Feb 19, 2015 4:39 pm

So I've been training personally at home (The waterpolo helps) and I'm now able to do 4 sets of 20 Push-Ups and 5 Sets of 20 situps/crunches. I'm tempted to by some creatine to see if it works on me however I don't have the money at the moment.
"i put on my robe and wizard hat" ~Pkdragon
"rocks fall everyone dies" ~HPD
Welcome to the optimistic world of WWN :D

And logic doesn't work on MysteriousLad... ~Kireato
Wait, wait, wait.

Organized crime is selling bagels on television? Since when? ~Dragon Fogel

Dragonite

Post by Dragonite » Thu Feb 19, 2015 9:58 pm

I should probably look into running this spring. I don't care about my weight(already low), but I used to bike 30 minutes to school and 30 back, and missing that may have had ill effects on me a couple years later. Right now my condition has to be poor from lack of movement. I don't really have fancy goals, aside from (mental)health benefits.

Sniffit II

Post by Sniffit II » Sun Mar 01, 2015 10:46 pm

Uh, so my mother asked me to run with her on her hundredth marathon, so I've been training for that since September, although I already had a fairly regular running schedule at that point. I still haven't been told which one it will be (potentially I might end up doing both the 30 mile Uphill To Wells, and also the official Bristol To Bath marathon), but yeah, I do that now. It certainly has alleviated the winter drudgery.
i don't know what a bishop ninja is but if it can still move diagonal without being seen it's got my vote - Pkdragon

FEAR ME, FEAR THE FIRE THAT BURNS IN MY BALLS, VERIDIAN FOREST! - Dragonite

Vote Sniffit for Space Dictator.

onewaystreet

Post by onewaystreet » Thu Mar 05, 2015 11:43 am

I signed up for a gym too!

Nothing too extensive but I'm finally doing weight-type things.
thefalman wrote:Honestly, just when I thought we could all have a nice topic about mocking ridiculously, overly hardcore fundamentalists, it has to turn into a religious debate.

You bastards.
thefalman wrote:
RadioShadow wrote:Including having SEX? :o
I know it's an alien concept to you RS, but there's no need to act so surprised.

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Xenesis » Thu Mar 05, 2015 11:26 pm

Went back out swing dancing tonight.

Was great, I'm super rusty and going to be sore tomorrow...but man, why did I ever stop going?
IST wrote:Even the worst individual needs to discover the joys of a chicken statue that is also a pregnant blonde housewife.

Twelve Boats

Post by Twelve Boats » Fri Mar 06, 2015 12:52 am

you briefly decided to be less awesome
the dream

Treedweller

Post by Treedweller » Mon Mar 23, 2015 3:25 pm

I thought I'd write a quick update.

First, my old gym buddy is MIA for a couple months. Being the ever-charming guy that I strive to be, I roped in another friend. This guy has years of experience at the gym, so he's not only fun to talk with between sets (I'm lucky with finding interesting friends, darlings), but he's also a super teacher and keeps my form honest.

Second, I continue to pile on more weight in benchpresses, deadlifts, and squats. I'm doing 135 lbs benchpresses in 3 sets of 5, 185 lbs deadlifts in 3 sets of 5, and 115 lbs front squats in 3 sets of five, too. I'm nowhere near where I want to be yet, but I've doubled what I started with a few months back. I'm very proud of how far I've come. Onward, I've arbitrarily set goals to hit 200 lbs in benchpresses, 300 lbs in deadlifts, and 200 lbs in front squats, but I'll probably need to adjust the amount of reps and sets I'm doing as I get there. Whatevs, I'll listen to my body and see how far I get.

I also added a fourth staple to my repertoire: shoulder presses. I'm still working on my form.

Since my last report, I haven't gained much weight. I said I was at a consistent 160 then, but really I must've been closer to 161 or 162 lbs. I've been eating a ton of calories and protein, and now I hover at or just below 165 lbs. That's respectable weight gain for seven or eight weeks.

The results that I've seen feel more impressive than the numbers, though. My chest continues to metamorphose, my arms have grown, and my abs are about to poke through. Did I mention that the side benefits of working out are pretty neat? I used to break out all the fudge time, and now my face is nearly clear.

Plus, I've been hearing from a lot of people I know that I look different. A bodybuilder friend that I admire but who never offers unearned compliments told me with this super-serious-real-talk look on his face that I've filled out but was lucky enough to keep a lean build. A work friend told me that I can 'really fill out a sweater' now. I laughed at her, but it totally made my day.

No one's ever told me that I fill sweaters, guys! Well except that one time as a preteen when I ate ice cream everyday while I reread my favourite Sonic The Hedgehog and Archie comics and ballooned up like 50 lbs, man I could really fill out a sweater then too yeah, but that doesn't count.

Treedweller

Post by Treedweller » Mon Mar 23, 2015 3:28 pm

Also Archie should've totally dumped Betty and Veronica and just married Reggie. How could he say no to this?

onewaystreet

Post by onewaystreet » Sun Mar 29, 2015 11:22 am

I have no idea how to use free weights...I feel like my form is awful and inconsistent. At least I feel like I'm gaining some upper body strength?
thefalman wrote:Honestly, just when I thought we could all have a nice topic about mocking ridiculously, overly hardcore fundamentalists, it has to turn into a religious debate.

You bastards.
thefalman wrote:
RadioShadow wrote:Including having SEX? :o
I know it's an alien concept to you RS, but there's no need to act so surprised.

Sniffit II

Post by Sniffit II » Sun Apr 12, 2015 4:55 pm

So, uh... With one week notice (that's just how my family seems to work when it comes to anything), I did a marathon roughly six months earlier than the one I was going to do as my first (my stepfather was injured and so he couldn't do it).
i don't know what a bishop ninja is but if it can still move diagonal without being seen it's got my vote - Pkdragon

FEAR ME, FEAR THE FIRE THAT BURNS IN MY BALLS, VERIDIAN FOREST! - Dragonite

Vote Sniffit for Space Dictator.

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Xenesis » Sun Apr 12, 2015 8:52 pm

I'm on the travel exercise plan.

By which I mean walk 10,000-20,000 steps a day being a tourist.

MysteriousLad

Post by MysteriousLad » Wed Apr 22, 2015 12:45 am

I've finally reached my goal of doing 88 push ups, in sets going 10-12-14-16-14-12-10 with 30 second pauses in between. Waterpolo's making me really fit, finally able to see my muscles without flexing.

Wait, wait, wait.

Linkman
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Linkman » Wed Apr 22, 2015 2:23 am

Aw man you're so cool :(
"everytime I try to draw xen I end up drawing a kangaroo smoking a cigar while chainsawing a tree" - Deoxy
"I can't believe I'm the only person who voted Stallone. His appeal lies in watching is movies again and again just to hear what the hell he's talking about." - Kilteh

Satel

Post by Satel » Wed Apr 22, 2015 2:44 am

I was doing a good hundred pushups every evening when I was 19-20.

I really need to get back in shape.
Joey wrote:i think i was mad at certain players and wanted to wave st3rn's success in their face at the most opportune moment, or something

st3rn fudge st3rn

Sven

Post by Sven » Mon Jun 22, 2015 9:27 am

on and off and on and off and on and off

posting random running thoughts here because it's what got me the most pumped up when i first started.

i've eaten like crumpets for the past month. well, not really like crumpets so much as i keep eating the fudge portions i ate when i ran 10k+ a day. i don't think i can train my mind to eat less, so it's way easier just to run everyday.

sven logic best logic.

anyway i'm too fudge crumpets at running right now, ran today and it was hell. we'll see how long it takes to get back to 10k, i'm expecting a couple weeks.

Linkman
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Linkman » Mon Jun 22, 2015 12:18 pm

I need to get in shape again :( c'mon sven let's do this crumpets

Treedweller

Post by Treedweller » Mon Jun 22, 2015 2:05 pm

People still post in this topic! I guess I'll do a small update, then return so Sven, Linky and me can all, like, motivate each other.

I weigh almost 174 lbs now (last report: 165 lbs), which is pretty great. Some of those gains are definitely fat, but by the looks of my bod and judging from the improvements I've made in lifting, it's mostly muscle. I might have to go into a cutting phase soon, especially since I really don't want to buy new clothes (some of mine fit a little... tight now). I'm aiming to be a lean 180 lbs, and I think I'm at least a year away from that. In any case, I'm liking where I'm at now, and pushing myself to lift heavier more whenever I'm able. Maybe I'll post some of my other stats in a couple days.

And speaking of cutting, I've started playing outdoor soccer once a week now, which I totes suck at but I'm working hard to learn. And either way, it's an incredible 2 hour sprint interval workout. I'm thinking this might help me lose some excess fat, or at least prevent too much more from accumulating as I build more muscle.

My only problem is, once I'm done with soccer, my legs are basically shot for almost the entire week. And sometimes I feel soreness kick in while I'm playing the next week. Sven, you're a runner - have any neat tricks for recovering your legs after a particularly gruelling run?
Last edited by Treedweller on Tue Jun 23, 2015 3:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

hawkesnightmare

Post by hawkesnightmare » Tue Jun 23, 2015 2:58 am

Hot shower/bath. People tell you to take cold ones, but that actually hinders muscle growth.

Source: My gf runs marathons.
daisy: If the UK is worse than the present #5 in the world in terms of GDP come July 1st 2018 I will dye my hair pink.

Sven

Post by Sven » Tue Jun 23, 2015 4:02 am

i was in pretty bad shape even when i was running. my cardiovascular system was always what gave out during stuff like soccer, not my legs.

once or twice i did wake up with my legs sore. i ran anyway at lower intensity. i'd be fine the day afterwards.

beyond that would be me recommending stuff i haven't personally done sorry :(.

Linkman
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Linkman » Tue Jun 23, 2015 4:16 am

I still advocate proper stretching after helps!

Sven

Post by Sven » Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:28 am

Ran about 2k before calling it quits. Going to have to go back to a walk/run plan despite how much the idea irks me.

According to this topic I took a little over a month to go from nothing to my first 10k run. Let's try and make it happen again.

Linkman
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Linkman » Tue Jun 23, 2015 1:04 pm

I really, really need to do it as well! C'mon WWN, I will definitely do 1.1 this week!

MysteriousLad

Post by MysteriousLad » Tue Jun 23, 2015 2:20 pm

What hawke said.
Cold water should really be avoided.

I'm now playing waterpolo against teams all over the country (well, next season) at the highest level for my age which is, uh, cool. Especially seeing how I only started this sport (barely able to swim a good 200m sprint) two and a half years ago.

Wait, wait, wait.

Sven

Post by Sven » Wed Jun 24, 2015 8:15 am

i ran/walked a little over 5k. probably 50/50 on running/walking.

Tuesday 6:00 PM
Mostly Sunny
21°C | 70°F
Precipitation: 0%
Humidity: 60%
Wind: 34 km/h

this is going to sound really silly to all of you.

but i have never exercised in weather as warm as that. it feels quite hot. or maybe it's because i'm fatter. who knows.