In this topic, TED Talks that are useful, interesting or FUN

WWN's Social Lounge. The place to come and chill out for a relaxed conversation about life and stuff, or some more serious debates.
Linkman
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

In this topic, TED Talks that are useful, interesting or FUN

Post by Linkman » Sat Oct 19, 2013 3:52 am

I watched this one today:

http://www.ted.com/talks/lang/en/shawn_ ... _work.html

And I remembered why I liked watching TED talks. Any you'd like to share?
"everytime I try to draw xen I end up drawing a kangaroo smoking a cigar while chainsawing a tree" - Deoxy
"I can't believe I'm the only person who voted Stallone. His appeal lies in watching is movies again and again just to hear what the hell he's talking about." - Kilteh

Treedweller

Re: In this topic, TED Talks that are useful, interesting or

Post by Treedweller » Sat Oct 19, 2013 12:16 pm

I think most TED talks are formulaic, fluffy distillations of preliminary scientific research. But I'll check this one out later and see if I changed my mind.

onewaystreet

Post by onewaystreet » Sat Oct 19, 2013 1:11 pm

I've always enjoyed Ben Zander's TED Talk. It feels earnest and sincere, and it's pretty funny too. I watch it a few times a year.
thefalman wrote:Honestly, just when I thought we could all have a nice topic about mocking ridiculously, overly hardcore fundamentalists, it has to turn into a religious debate.

You bastards.
thefalman wrote:
RadioShadow wrote:Including having SEX? :o
I know it's an alien concept to you RS, but there's no need to act so surprised.

Linkman
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Linkman » Sun Oct 20, 2013 4:12 am

Treedweller wrote:I think most TED talks are formulaic, fluffy distillations of preliminary scientific research. But I'll check this one out later and see if I changed my mind.
How uncharacteristically negative of you!
"everytime I try to draw xen I end up drawing a kangaroo smoking a cigar while chainsawing a tree" - Deoxy
"I can't believe I'm the only person who voted Stallone. His appeal lies in watching is movies again and again just to hear what the hell he's talking about." - Kilteh

Narts

Post by Narts » Sun Oct 20, 2013 4:32 am

David Braben talks about procedural generation and art: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GEVutbSqBI0

More game devs should use procedural generation.

Kiltman2

Post by Kiltman2 » Tue Nov 05, 2013 7:26 am

If you guys are not familiar yet with Reggie Watts, you are missing out on a phenomenal performer.

[youtube]BdHK_r9RXTc[/youtube]

It's a long video, but stick with it. He is stupidly entertaining, and arguably deconstructs the entire TED format. For this reason Treedy, you may be interested.