Samsung has figured out a way to mass-produce Graphene.

WWN's Social Lounge. The place to come and chill out for a relaxed conversation about life and stuff, or some more serious debates.
Linkman
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Samsung has figured out a way to mass-produce Graphene.

Post by Linkman » Mon Apr 07, 2014 5:26 am

[Civ 5 announcer voice] Korea has entered the information age!

For those of you who are unaware, graphene is the best room-temperature electrical conductor ever.

What does this mean for you? Well:

1. We might be in the face of an electronics revolution.
2. If your country relies on copper or aluminum mining, you might be facing huge economic depression.

"everytime I try to draw xen I end up drawing a kangaroo smoking a cigar while chainsawing a tree" - Deoxy
"I can't believe I'm the only person who voted Stallone. His appeal lies in watching is movies again and again just to hear what the hell he's talking about." - Kilteh

onewaystreet

Re: Samsung has figured out a way to mass-produce Graphene.

Post by onewaystreet » Mon Apr 07, 2014 6:36 am

Well Korea is one of the top tech civs so...

That's ridiculously cool though. I've always been very interested in the super small carbon things (graphene and nanotubes and such) so it's pretty cool to see this be sold made in droves soon.
thefalman wrote:Honestly, just when I thought we could all have a nice topic about mocking ridiculously, overly hardcore fundamentalists, it has to turn into a religious debate.

You bastards.
thefalman wrote:
RadioShadow wrote:Including having SEX? :o
I know it's an alien concept to you RS, but there's no need to act so surprised.

Treedweller

Post by Treedweller » Mon Apr 07, 2014 9:49 am

I want to get excited, but I don't really get it. So it conducts better than other metals and it's more flexible. Does this mean electronics will get cheaper and more durable? Will graphene be useful for all electronics?

Linkman
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Linkman » Mon Apr 07, 2014 10:14 am

Perhaps Xen can clear things up for us a little more, but from what I understand the gist of it is:

- Yes, more durable electronics.
- The full advent of flexible electronics. Bendable, twistable, you name it. See this article.
- Vastly increased internet and display speeds. See here.
- The prospect of graphene as a large-scale structural material--think of the super-thin buildings.
"everytime I try to draw xen I end up drawing a kangaroo smoking a cigar while chainsawing a tree" - Deoxy
"I can't believe I'm the only person who voted Stallone. His appeal lies in watching is movies again and again just to hear what the hell he's talking about." - Kilteh

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO
3DS Code: 2535-4646-7163

Post by Xenesis » Mon Apr 07, 2014 10:30 am

I think Linky's covered the most of it.

Carbon-based conductors is proving to be the 'next big thing' in materials science because of how damn versatile it is. Producing it reliably and on a large scale (like, larger than laboratory scale) was one of the big problems facing it, so yeah. This is huge.
IST wrote:Even the worst individual needs to discover the joys of a chicken statue that is also a pregnant blonde housewife.

Treedweller

Post by Treedweller » Tue Apr 08, 2014 12:50 pm

Okay, that's neat. Like, very.

Now I'm excited for my first graphene phone and tablet and maybe even laptop.

Kiltman2

Post by Kiltman2 » Wed Apr 09, 2014 1:41 am

My materials' prof just about had an orgasm when he talked about graphene in class. I'll be sure to send this to him and finish him off. Cheers Linky!