Russia stuff.

WWN's Social Lounge. The place to come and chill out for a relaxed conversation about life and stuff, or some more serious debates.
Dragonite

Re: Russia stuff.

Post by Dragonite » Fri Apr 25, 2014 6:15 am

MysteriousLad wrote:
Dragonite wrote:Btw, mysteriouslad(if you hang around longer we have to create a nickname for you) , you said you're dutch? And how old are you? Your English is still somewhat odd at times,but nowhere near as bad as mine when I got here. I'm also Dutch and 22 now, was 15 when I registered. Man, it's been ages.
Im 15, yeah sorry about my English.
You'll pick it up eventually if you stay active on the internet. Look at my old posts I dare you. And school helps a lot too. By the way, if you're ever really in a language pinch you can always break out the Dutch. One of the admins(HPD) is Dutch as well, so that helps.

hawkesnightmare

Post by hawkesnightmare » Fri Apr 25, 2014 8:14 am

I can confirm that Draggy's English was horrendous. Looking back, mine was typical of a fifteen-year old American who just got a phone and was learning the appropriate shortcuts.

Was it you or someone else who hit enter instead of space at the end of sentences?
daisy: If the UK is worse than the present #5 in the world in terms of GDP come July 1st 2018 I will dye my hair pink.

Dragonite

Post by Dragonite » Fri Apr 25, 2014 8:24 am

Could've been me. It was even worse before you got here.... I used... a lot of eclipses... when I was thinking... for a some reason.. I don't mind my lack of maturity back then that much, but oh my writing it HURTS MY EYES. Nowadays I make odd errors, but it's more that I just get absent minded while typing and don't proofread.

daisy

Post by daisy » Sat Apr 26, 2014 12:24 am

hawkesnightmare wrote:Was it you or someone else who hit enter instead of space at the end of sentences?
Yes it was. And I was always calling him out on it. It made his posts impossible to read. Bless him.

MysteriousLad

Post by MysteriousLad » Sat Apr 26, 2014 4:21 am

Dus HPD is ook een Nederlander dat wist ik niet. :P
"i put on my robe and wizard hat" ~Pkdragon
"rocks fall everyone dies" ~HPD
Welcome to the optimistic world of WWN :D

And logic doesn't work on MysteriousLad... ~Kireato
Wait, wait, wait.

Organized crime is selling bagels on television? Since when? ~Dragon Fogel

Dragonite

Post by Dragonite » Sat Apr 26, 2014 6:33 am

daisy wrote:
hawkesnightmare wrote:Was it you or someone else who hit enter instead of space at the end of sentences?
Yes it was. And I was always calling him out on it. It made his posts impossible to read. Bless him.
I usually took notice, but eh.. ABSENT MINDED PEOPLE. Actually, my English grades at schools were rather decent at the time. Part of it was also me being a airhead, and I shall be known as Draggy forever due to that. When I was still fairly new Daisy even made a topic if it was okay to go all grammar nazi on me if I didn't mind advice. I improved over time though, and my general mastery of English spiked around 2009-2010 or so. Don't worry ML, you are a long shot to being as bad as I was, and you got plenty of time to improve. Just keep focusing your attention on it.

daisy

Post by daisy » Sat Apr 26, 2014 9:02 pm

You're called Draggy because your forum name is Dragonite.

Dragonite

Post by Dragonite » Sat Apr 26, 2014 9:59 pm

daisy wrote:You're called Draggy because your forum name is Dragonite.
It's happened to Linky as well, I concede. But I lost count of the times I've been called adorable.

MysteriousLad

Post by MysteriousLad » Sat Apr 26, 2014 10:22 pm

Tenminste ben je niet schatig genoemd, trouwensheb jij koningsdag geviert?

Wait, wait, wait.

daisy

Post by daisy » Sat Apr 26, 2014 11:08 pm

Absolutely.

MysteriousLad

Post by MysteriousLad » Sun Apr 27, 2014 1:10 am

daisy wrote:Absolutely.
You understand dutch?

Wait, wait, wait.

daisy

Post by daisy » Sun Apr 27, 2014 1:51 am

Nope. I was just having a bit of fun. Only two regulars here would understand you.

Narts

Post by Narts » Thu Aug 28, 2014 10:58 pm

MysteriousLad

Post by MysteriousLad » Thu Aug 28, 2014 10:59 pm

Narts wrote:Image
Confirmed 100% Authentic,
But seriously what's Putin playing at? Starving his people from Ducth cheese, anyway this is going to cause food prices to rise sharply in the Russian winter wheras ours will fall. Rather counter-productive.

Wait, wait, wait.

Dragonite

Post by Dragonite » Fri Aug 29, 2014 5:04 am

Was about to post here about Russia again... Stuff just got real today. For all we know we're standing on the brink of total war. Hopefully pragmatism all around prevents that from happening, but this doesn't look good. At the very least Ukraine might be screwed.

So, who's getting psyched for the football world cup of 2018? :roll:

ThunderWalker

Post by ThunderWalker » Fri Aug 29, 2014 9:44 pm

Putin has nothing to gain from a war. Even without help from the USA Europe is capable of defeating Russia. And the USA will help Europe anyway, so Russia is outnumbered 3:1. Ofcourse, Russia can resort to conscription unlike Europe, but that's asking for a MOAB or Shock and Awe tactics.
Putin knows he cannot defeat the NATO, but also that NATO won't wage a war about Ukraïne, and as such, this was a move from Putin that had to be expected.
My sig is a void.

Narts

Post by Narts » Fri Aug 29, 2014 10:35 pm

Russia can resort to conscription unlike Europe
ha ha good one

Narts

Post by Narts » Mon Sep 01, 2014 6:01 pm

Putin doesn't need to defeat (Western) Europe or NATO because he knows neither will do anything as he just stomps around Russia's neighbourhood and takes whatever he likes.

Crimea already de-facto belongs to Russia and look what the West did about it.

Absolutely nothing.

I expect the same will happen to the rest of Ukraine.

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.nytimes.com/2014/09/01/opini ... ender.html

Not that anyone will listen to the guy. Other than maybe for the "give up and throw Ukraine under the bus" part.

ThunderWalker

Post by ThunderWalker » Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:40 pm

Narts wrote:
Russia can resort to conscription unlike Europe
ha ha good one
I don't see Europe resorting to conscription.
Modern equipment requires specialized training anyway, which means that if things go out of control too fast the conscripts cannot be trained in time for them to be effective. Things like Shock and Awe, and I am sure the Russians have a similar strategy somewhere one a shelf, would just cut through them like a hot knife through butter.
Whereas the Russian army can just give everybody an AK-47 and call it a day, rendering the training point mostly moot. However, maybe even the Russian people will not accept the meat grinder this would become to the American anti-numbers strategies, leaving both armies to fight without conscripts.

But yes, Ukraine won't be saved. NATO won't fight a war for the Ukrainians, letting them die by the thousands if it comes to it.
Last edited by ThunderWalker on Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My sig is a void.

Narts

Post by Narts » Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:44 pm

There are countries in Europe that use conscription right now.

ThunderWalker

Post by ThunderWalker » Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:25 pm

Narts wrote:There are countries in Europe that use conscription right now.
True. *looks up a map*
Oh wait, and so has Russia itself still conscripts.

But countries that already have conscription can keep it, as their conscripts would be at least somewhat prepared for the upcoming war, or be kept in the homeland (anti-aircraft divisions, guarding against paratroopers, stuff like that).

I at least think European countries would use them like that. The Russians... idk.
My sig is a void.

Dragonite

Post by Dragonite » Tue Sep 02, 2014 10:05 pm

Modern war is probably too tech-heavy for untrained soldiers who where enrolled in a hurry to make a heavy impact, especially if we get a all-out world war, which as of now is unheard of. And of course, nukes. I'm not sure how the blocking tech is nowadays, but a single one would be able to wipe a host of footsoldiers.

Linkman
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Linkman » Wed Sep 03, 2014 1:22 pm

Narts wrote:Putin doesn't need to defeat (Western) Europe or NATO because he knows neither will do anything as he just stomps around Russia's neighbourhood and takes whatever he likes.

Crimea already de-facto belongs to Russia and look what the West did about it.

Absolutely nothing.

I expect the same will happen to the rest of Ukraine.

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.nytimes.com/2014/09/01/opini ... ender.html

Not that anyone will listen to the guy. Other than maybe for the "give up and throw Ukraine under the bus" part.
Great article. That is the extent everyone feared during the Crimean conflict a couple of months back. There's no way out now--it's either all in or fold for the west.
"everytime I try to draw xen I end up drawing a kangaroo smoking a cigar while chainsawing a tree" - Deoxy
"I can't believe I'm the only person who voted Stallone. His appeal lies in watching is movies again and again just to hear what the hell he's talking about." - Kilteh

ThunderWalker

Post by ThunderWalker » Fri Sep 05, 2014 7:18 am

Dragonite wrote:Modern war is probably too tech-heavy for untrained soldiers who where enrolled in a hurry to make a heavy impact, especially if we get a all-out world war, which as of now is unheard of. And of course, nukes. I'm not sure how the blocking tech is nowadays, but a single one would be able to wipe a host of footsoldiers.
Most tanks and armoured vehicles are immune to radiation... conventional bombings would probably deal much more damage to tanks than a single nuke.

Most of Europe, the USA and Russia is blocked from nukes I think... That, and I doubt Putin is THAT stupid.

Besides, I think the West is going to buy some time. They aren't going to decide right now, and whatever the NATO will fold or go all-in is a decision they will make as late as they can. They do not want to make this decision.
My sig is a void.

Narts

Post by Narts » Fri Sep 05, 2014 8:46 am

Blocked from nukes? I wasn't aware they had invented force fields yet. Any counter-ballistic technologies are still pretty nascent and not anywhere near 100% effectiveness or coverage.

Whether he's crazy enough to use them, who knows. At this point I wouldn't put anything definitely below him. I've read speculation that he could be planning to use limited nuclear strikes against lower profile targets on the understanding that the U.S. would be unlikely to risk global annihilation over some dwarf state in Eastern Europe. And you know, that makes sense, enough at least that I could see someone like Putin gambling on it if he gets desperate enough. M.A.D. is probably a sound principle for averting total war between nuclear armed superpowers, but it doesn't really say anything about what happens if a superpower decides to use nukes in a limited fashion against smaller, less significant countries.

If they do that, it's likely that they wouldn't use them directly against military forces on the ground but instead to annihilate a European capital or two in order to teach a lesson so to speak, to break the enemy's will to fight and force a surrender Hiroshima/Nagasaki style. Yes, completely insane, but again, who knows about Putin anymore. He hasn't walked away even after all these sanctions, which a non-crazy leader would have done.

ThunderWalker

Post by ThunderWalker » Sat Sep 06, 2014 8:23 pm

I doubt Putin is that insane.
He's power hungry, but he also wants Russia (read: Soviet Union) intact.

Also, military ground commanders despise nukes (as well as city bombings) for various reasons. Some consider it dishonorable, and bombing a city means it's very, very troublesome to get past it, because it is easier to defend from a ruined city than from an undamaged city, not to mention all the rubble on the roads that even tanks can't drive over.
A nuke is just as bad - while most (but not all) tanks and other AFV's can move through radiation without hassle, it still is unconvenient - resupplying becomes harder and footsoldiers have to stay within their vehicles. If a vehicle breaks down in a radioactive area, it is still a death sentence for its unlucky passengers.
Modern AFV's are built to withstand the radiation (and protect their passengers) from a tactical nuke thrown in their midst, but not to stay within radiation for extended periods of time, and should avoid driving through radioactive areas if they can help it. This also includes the Ukrainian AFV's as far as I know, so while a tactical nuke would make some casualties amongs the Ukrainian soldiers, it wouldn't be overly devastating unless it is very sudden.

Furthermore, it is worth knowing that the global winds are going from West to East on the northern hemisphere. Unrelated? Until you realize that the radioactive dust from a nuke thrown on Ukraine will likely blow over parts of Russia - maybe even reach Moscow.

Even if Putin considers it, his military staff would stop him here.
My sig is a void.

Dragonite

Post by Dragonite » Sat Sep 06, 2014 9:32 pm

I admit I know next to nothing about how a nuclear blast actual works in a real war situation, since all that really happened are the japanese bombings, and most I read of it are how it devestates a city, and how large the number are compared to every other weapon.

Doesn't the initial blast have the power to destroy ATV's? By this I mean if they are extremely close to it. I've heard that tale of a nuclear test destroying a small island. I saw in a documentary the destructive power is largely heat-based though. I guess I'll google it myself then.

ThunderWalker

Post by ThunderWalker » Mon Sep 08, 2014 3:59 am

Only if they are really close, but at that point you might just as well use conventional bombs/missiles. You'd like a lot of shrapnel that can pierce the armor of AFV's (only side and rear armor of tanks, front armor is nearly immune to shrapnel) if you want to deal real damage.
My sig is a void.

Dragonite

Post by Dragonite » Mon Sep 08, 2014 4:39 am

Berlusconi is defending Putin now. Of course, the only ex-PM who's buddies with Putin is the one who has been tried for corruption and questionable affairs with women.

ThunderWalker

Post by ThunderWalker » Tue Sep 09, 2014 4:09 am

Nicholas Sarkozy and Gerhard Schröder want a word with you.
My sig is a void.

Narts

Post by Narts » Mon Oct 20, 2014 4:40 am

hawkesnightmare

Post by hawkesnightmare » Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:55 am

Complete with Freddie Mercury moustaches.
daisy: If the UK is worse than the present #5 in the world in terms of GDP come July 1st 2018 I will dye my hair pink.

Treedweller

Post by Treedweller » Mon Oct 20, 2014 12:10 pm

Even if Mother Russia refuses to, I love you just the way you are, Finland. Never change.

daisy

Post by daisy » Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:09 pm

Dragonite wrote:questionable affairs with women.
That has almost fudge all to do with his quality as a world leader. Look at Clinton.

Dragonite

Post by Dragonite » Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:59 pm

daisy wrote:
Dragonite wrote:questionable affairs with women.
That has almost fudge all to do with his quality as a world leader. Look at Clinton.
True. But he has a affair with a intern, and managed to repair the damage using his various skills (I'm not American, so I don't know all the details). Berlusconi had mass orgy parties, and very likely had sex with a underaged prostitute, and the only reason he isn't in jail right now because he has money and power, and uses both in underhanded ways. The man has skill alright, but in the end, those skills don't serve his country(or the world for that matter) all that much. And I'm aware politicans don't always have the best moral standards, but he seems to have even less.

Narts

Post by Narts » Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:52 pm

Serving a country is for chumps anyway

Narts

Post by Narts » Tue Oct 21, 2014 9:47 pm

daisy

Post by daisy » Wed Oct 22, 2014 2:53 am

Dragonite wrote:True. But he has a affair with a intern, and managed to repair the damage using his various skills (I'm not American, so I don't know all the details). Berlusconi had mass orgy parties, and very likely had sex with a underaged prostitute, and the only reason he isn't in jail right now because he has money and power, and uses both in underhanded ways. The man has skill alright, but in the end, those skills don't serve his country(or the world for that matter) all that much. And I'm aware politicans don't always have the best moral standards, but he seems to have even less.
The only reason anyone cares is because WOO SEX. I give much more of a crumpets about American parties taking corporate sponsorship. Freud would have had a field day.

Narts

Post by Narts » Fri Nov 07, 2014 6:32 am

http://time.com/3547935/putin-pugachev-oligarchs/

Makes surprisingly much sense. Putin is simply... stupid?

Then again, it could be a ploy to make us think that there is no grand plan behind it all

NOPE. THIS DOES NOT EASE MY PARANOIA

daisy

Post by daisy » Fri Nov 07, 2014 11:19 am

It sorta makes sense, but also bear in mind who's telling the story - someone who clearly didn't like Putin very much.