Hong Kong's Occupy Central

WWN's Social Lounge. The place to come and chill out for a relaxed conversation about life and stuff, or some more serious debates.
monkymeet
3DS Code: 3480-3067-3928

Hong Kong's Occupy Central

Post by monkymeet » Sun Sep 28, 2014 11:48 pm

So yeah. For those that don't know I live in HK. I haven't directly participated in the demonstration, but I strongly support it. My gf's got a couple of friends there, some of whom got gassed earlier today. It's finally good to see international news channels finally covering the protest, as we need as much support as we can get. After all, we're just a small city against a monstrous giant who does not have a history of dealing with demonstrations well.

crumpets going crazy. I really hope this doesn't end in bloody violence.
imageshack swallowed up my sig. This is a placeholder.

Linkman
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Re: Hong Kong's Occupy Central

Post by Linkman » Mon Sep 29, 2014 9:35 am

Er, could you give us some background and such monky? Perhaps a few choice articles? I avoid TV news like the plague.
"everytime I try to draw xen I end up drawing a kangaroo smoking a cigar while chainsawing a tree" - Deoxy
"I can't believe I'm the only person who voted Stallone. His appeal lies in watching is movies again and again just to hear what the hell he's talking about." - Kilteh

Twelve Boats

Post by Twelve Boats » Mon Sep 29, 2014 2:19 pm

i understand not wanting to go yourself but you totally should imo! any opprotunity to be Rad As Heck should be done
the dream

MysteriousLad

Post by MysteriousLad » Mon Sep 29, 2014 2:45 pm

Monky, what are the protests about?
I know it's something to do with occupation after being a British Colony and China's goverement not fuffilling promises. Anything else?
"i put on my robe and wizard hat" ~Pkdragon
"rocks fall everyone dies" ~HPD
Welcome to the optimistic world of WWN :D

And logic doesn't work on MysteriousLad... ~Kireato
Wait, wait, wait.

Organized crime is selling bagels on television? Since when? ~Dragon Fogel

monkymeet

Post by monkymeet » Mon Sep 29, 2014 3:41 pm

Linkman wrote:Er, could you give us some background and such monky? Perhaps a few choice articles? I avoid TV news like the plague.
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-29405195
http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/09/ ... 3Q20140929

live feed: http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-29405576

Basically, China's been insistent on controlling HK, and people obviously don't want it. A few weeks back they said that the selection of Chief Executive candidates would only be done via their special committee, which could only mean they want to install a puppet government. It isn't helping that our current CE, C. Y. Leung has proven to either be wholly incompetent or a puppet of Beijing. Tensions are already high as HKers have grown increasingly "annoyed," to put it lightly, at mainlanders coming and treating HK like a playground.

Over the weekend, lots of tear gas and pepper spray was used, but the police have backed off today. However, due to the relatively harsh police tactics (such tactics haven't been used in a long time, and HK is known for having LOTS of protests), it has only caused the occupying to spread. Initially is was Central, the main district for finance in HK, but it has spread to neighbouring areas Wan Chai and Causeway Bay, as well as across the harbour in Mong Kok, the central district of Kowloon side. China is obviously not reporting it and trying to suppress any information about the protest in their country (even citing it as an MI6/CIA plot, which is completely bonkers), but HK has managed to garner a good amount of international attention so they hopefully won't do anything insane. But this is China we're talking about, so I'm still very worried.

Linkman
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Linkman » Mon Sep 29, 2014 4:23 pm

Thank you for that.

First off, are you worried about your safety? It must be weird for you as a foreigner, even if you're not involved in the situation. There's no telling how much this will escalate.

I don't see any reason not to support HKers (and hopefully mainland China at some point) to pursue their liberties and rights--that is, if you discount the very likely possibility the wackos that rule China might decide to deal with it in their, eh, particular way.
"everytime I try to draw xen I end up drawing a kangaroo smoking a cigar while chainsawing a tree" - Deoxy
"I can't believe I'm the only person who voted Stallone. His appeal lies in watching is movies again and again just to hear what the hell he's talking about." - Kilteh

monkymeet

Post by monkymeet » Mon Sep 29, 2014 5:49 pm

I don't think I should be really worried. I'm far enough that even if something crazy were to happen, I wouldn't be too much in danger.

McTool

Post by McTool » Tue Sep 30, 2014 2:01 am

I'm wishing you guys all the best. Stay safe, and I hope Hong Kong gets their independence; they've got the infrastructure built in to rock and roll off the bat.
Make good choices

Joey

Post by Joey » Sun Oct 26, 2014 2:22 pm

Wishing you the best.

I have friends who, uh, peacefully demonstrate in America for this, but it's my impression that the more Beijing thinks America is involved, the more skittish of anything it'll be. Definitely a situation where donation will far and away exceed any other sort of action.
"Unakau has nicked off. And there was much rejoicing."