WWN, I need help with the Job Hunt

WWN's Social Lounge. The place to come and chill out for a relaxed conversation about life and stuff, or some more serious debates.
Pkdragon

WWN, I need help with the Job Hunt

Post by Pkdragon » Wed Oct 08, 2014 4:38 am

Ok, WWN. I'm getting close to the end of where I can draw out my education. I've been back at school to pick up programming, and at the end of this semester I'll have a decent idea of the basics of java programming. Not nearly enough, really, I've only taken 3 java courses and one was super introductory, but I simply don't have the funds to continue learning. I have to get a job, and start building up money again (while paying off my loans from my first round of college because I still have 9 years left of payments, that history degree sure was worth it </bitter>. So I need to get to job hunting, and I need to take it serious this time... Problem is, I honestly don't know the first thing about job hunting. I've had three jobs, one was a gimme work study job at college, one was literally at my mom's work, and the last one was at my local supermarket. Basically, all of these were easy jobs to get. When I do real job hunting, I get completely overwhelmed and don't know what to do. So I would like some advice from you guys, especially you guys who have gone through this before.

Specifically, I have some serious confusion over the following:

Finding Jobs: What are some good sources you've found for finding jobs? Really, all I know is Monster and a few other sites and Monster is filled with stuff that looks really scammy, stuff way beyond my skill level (marked "entry level" but requiring several years of experience) and I just don't know which jobs to even trust and which are scams. So yeah tips of figuring out which jobs to even bother with would be helpful. And of course, good job hunting sites/ other sources to try would be helpful.

Resume: How long should it be? How much focus should I put on my education? (Unfortunately, my education is really all I have besides a few months at a supermarket and a super part time job at my mom's work that I'd rather not emphasize because lol mom's work)? Should I have a section on my skills (again, not my strong point)? Should I mention that I've taken some basic programming classes, or does no one care if all I've taken are the basics? I've tried looking this stuff up and get conflicting answers every time.

The Job Interview: I'm not going to lie, with my anxiety for even applying to jobs, and my total confusion about what my resume should be like, I've only gotten to the job interview step... twice. The first part is, how well dressed should I be? I showed up to both of my previous interviews with a suit (I think) and totally felt a little overdressed, especially because a suit and formal shirts really emphasize how fat I am (and how nervous I am, once I start sweating!). But both of those were interviews to supermarkets, so maybe I was overdressed (or maybe I was exactly as dressed as I should be, I really don't know!). Obviously t-shirts are out but there's semi-formal clothes that aren't quite suit level that I feel fairly comfortable with, I'm just worried that's too casual. Then the job interview itself is a whole 'nother bag of worms but I don't have any specific questions I CAN ask about it.

Sorry for the long whiny post but job hunting honestly scares the crap out of me and I finally have to admit to myself that I need advice.
HPD wrote:You know the only thing on the agenda of the Squirtle Squad is pure, unadulterated chaos.

That, and watching Euros squirm.

DieselPheonix

Re: WWN, I need help with the Job Hunt

Post by DieselPheonix » Wed Oct 08, 2014 5:02 am

Where do you want to work?

Pkdragon

Post by Pkdragon » Wed Oct 08, 2014 5:05 am

Ideally I'd like to land an entry level programming job, but quite frankly I probably still don't have the experience. especially because entry level doesn't actually seem to mean entry level.

Otherwise... I don't know. I need something. I don't want to work in the food industry, I do know that. I'm not clean enough. And I'd like something that pays a little higher than my supermarket job did, because 8.00 an hour, while better than nothing, isn't going to help me much with my goal of both paying off my debt and getting more money to continue going to school.

So yeah that's part of the problem I really don't know what I'm going to do. The endgame goal is to get a programming job but in the meantime, idk.
HPD wrote:You know the only thing on the agenda of the Squirtle Squad is pure, unadulterated chaos.

Treedweller

Post by Treedweller » Wed Oct 08, 2014 5:14 am

Before I offer advice, I'm assuming you're looking for an office job that pays a middle class wage. But in what field, PK dear?

You have some programming skills, but without a computer science degree or project to show off, you can't get a job in that field for the moment. Good on you for starting that, though! I think it'll lead to excellent things in time.

Like you say, playing up your history background is likely a good idea. But there are too many fields (working in museums, maintaining government archives and records, journalism, etc.) where you could argue that your background's useful. We need to narrow that down for now.

I'm no expert, of course, but I have a similar degree to yours, and I have a good job that pays well. Once I know what you're looking for, I can tell you what worked for me. That might help.
Last edited by Treedweller on Wed Oct 08, 2014 5:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Treedweller

Post by Treedweller » Wed Oct 08, 2014 5:15 am

Oh, I see you've already kind of answered my question. But if you're looking for something beyond minimum wage while you build your programming skills after work, it'd still help to narrow this down more.

Pkdragon

Post by Pkdragon » Wed Oct 08, 2014 5:45 am

Yes, an office job with a middle class wage would be perfect for right now. What field? I don't really know. I don't really know what fields are out there. It's kind of all the same to me, and that's part of the problem. I go onto a site like Monster and am overwhelmed by a bunch of very specific jobs that I barely know what they are. Well, that and I just want... something. Something I can do. >_>

I mean, if I have to, I'll try and get another supermarket-type job (this time NOT in the food industry, that was a mistake). After a certain point, beggers can't be choosers. I'd like something higher than that.

As far as those history fields go, I've looked into working in museums but it's very hard to find an entry level museum job. I've applied to a good few government type jobs, and not only are government jobs the most overwhelming thing to apply to and even decipher, I haven't gotten a response back from any of the jobs I applied to. I'm not ruling it out but I haven't had much luck on that front yet. Journalism? I hadn't even considered that, but I've never taken a journalism class. (And for the record I don't have a teaching certificate so education is out, besides I don't have the self confidence to stand before a bunch of kids, who probably have little interest in the subject, and teach them. I say this because whenever I mention my history degree people assume I'm planning on being a teacher, thank you for not assuming that Treed >_>)

HPD
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by HPD » Wed Oct 08, 2014 6:54 am

All I know is that it's pretty damn hard getting anything with a history degree over here, unless your grades are like super awesome.

I don't know how things stand over there, but my first guess would be that you are going to have a hell of a time getting anything just by job-hunting on the internet. But you already know that, I guess. Still, don't let it get you down. As always, if you put your mind to it and don't give up no matter what, you'll find you'll get there in the end.

What I've personally found is that if you want to get a job, the best thing is to look into everything that might help your chances. Definitely set up a LinkedIn profile, for starters. Then just start fishing. Internet, newspapers, agencies, etc. Hell, just call companies that might interest you. I know that's going to sound extremely daunting for you, but hopefully you can put yourself to it (and maybe even gain a self-confidence boost once you do).

In the end, though, by far the best you can do is networking. I know it's a super lame word and I personally hate the term, but you're going to have to talk to people (technically you're already doing this by posting here!). Get oriented and put out some lines by visiting career events. Find out what companies are looking for and try to market yourself to them. A good personal brand is a must. Practice an 'elevator pitch' in which you try and sell yourself in like a minute or so. Tweak your CV so that it looks absolutely slick and have other people review it.

You know, there's tons of job-hunting advice on the internet and everywhere, and not all of it is crap, even. Here on WWN, we can only help you just a tiny bit, I'm afraid, and I realise fully well that my advice is quite mundane and probably not super helpful, maybe even demotivating to a degree. But please, please, please, whatever the odds are of finding a job, the key word is perseverance. Keep going at it, try all you can and eventually you'll end up on top.

Also, don't stress yourself out. If you ever have the need to talk, feel free to post here or hook me (or probably anyone else here on WWN) up on the IRC/FB/Steam/whatever I'm on these days for a listening ear and a kind word. I'll try to help you in whatever way I can and try and motivate you.
"So when I say the fudge shaman flies he goddamn well flies and that's that." - Narts
"My motto is that there are far too many women in the world to waste time with men." - thefalman
"It's just that I'm not really aware of how a common conversation goes." - Imano Ob, talking on MSN about talking on MSN
"As for FE8, that was IS' variant of Man Spam - Dudes with Swords edition." - Xenesis

Linkman
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Linkman » Wed Oct 08, 2014 6:59 am

Yeah, HPD nails the basics.

I already did a piece on it a while back, and I'm sure you read it back then PK.
"everytime I try to draw xen I end up drawing a kangaroo smoking a cigar while chainsawing a tree" - Deoxy
"I can't believe I'm the only person who voted Stallone. His appeal lies in watching is movies again and again just to hear what the hell he's talking about." - Kilteh

Pkdragon

Post by Pkdragon » Wed Oct 08, 2014 7:58 am

Ah yeah I forgot that topic existed. I have read it, but it's been two years and my memory is shorter than I'd like.

Thanks for the advice HPD, i know wwn can only help me a bit but the difference between you guys and random internet blokes is that i actually know you guys and I know your advice is valid.

(btw what's a CV? Is that another term for resume?)

The good thing is that my timeframe for getting a job is a year. 2 more months before classes end, and then 10 months before I'm truly broke. Not a super long time, but I know I can get some kind of job by then. I just don't want to end up in another supermarket if I can avoid it.

Dragonite

Post by Dragonite » Wed Oct 08, 2014 9:30 am

It's a fancy latin term for a resume, curriculum vitae to be exact.

DieselPheonix

Post by DieselPheonix » Wed Oct 08, 2014 12:06 pm

In general: Internet job searching is a crapshoot at best, even when the job is conducted purely over the internet. Visit the site of employment in person after making prior arrangements, if possible. Tailor your paperwork to the job in question. The interview process is seen by many as one-sided; as a job searcher, it can be beneficial to engage the interviewer(s) if it is appropriate to do so, showing an interest in learning about the work without coming off as ignorant.

See if your school has a career advisement center or is affiliated with any service that assists students in finding employment.

Linkman
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Linkman » Wed Oct 08, 2014 12:31 pm

Pkdragon wrote: (btw what's a CV? Is that another term for resume?)
Never quite understood the term résumé--but yeah, I mean that!

Those three semesters of programming will definitely help PK. Here's a couple of tips I didn't give last time:

- Be cheeky! I think this is specially important for you PK. Don't be afraid to dig deep during interviews. Make sure to ask what the job's all about, who you'll be working with, who will be your boss, what will be expected of you, etc. This all helps give a very clean image of you being interested in the job.

I tend to think of interviews, but this applies to before the interview process too: pick up the phone and call people. Call people in your field. Call HR departments. If you can't reach them, check LinkedIn, find people in similar positions to the one you're after, and e-mail them. Don't be afraid--you've got nothing to lose. You can just politely introduce yourself, say you're looking for a new job opportunity (pro tip: don't mention you're jobless to someone you don't have to), and enquire about opportunities. I've received such e-mails. I usually answer with something like "yeah, sorry, I don't know if they're looking, but you can contact Miss So and So at HR", and I give them the e-mail. If out of ten dudes, one of them is like me, then you get at least a couple of e-mail addresses of people that can help you.

- Dress code: I don't like overdressing, but make sure you're sharp. I usually do buttoned-shirt + pants and nice shoes. Shine them before you go! I don't bother with ties unless I know for a fact it's going to be fancy. If it's summer, I just go with the shirt; if it's too cold, I throw in a nice one-color sweater (no argyles or whatever).

Make sure you look neat; that means a nice haircut, clean shave or neatly trimmed facial hair, and definitely no hair where you're not supposed to have hair. What that means: do your eyebrows too. I find that taking a couple of hours to take properly groom myself does wonders for my self-image which helps me be more confident during the interview.

Bottomline, it's up to you. I've been to interviews with jeans and a t-shirt, and I've done full-blown suit+tie. I've found a style that helps me be comfortable yet is still unmistakably formal. You may need to shop for clothes; if you have a good female friend, this is the time to call in that favor she owes you.

P.s. if you're sweaty, make sure to dress appropriately so it's not an issue!

- Definitely get started on that LinkedIn profile. Have it tidy.

- Finally, if you don't meet all the job requirements, go back to point 1. Be cheeky. Come up with a good story on why you don't have the whole thing yet (explain why you needed to pursue your history degree and why you're now pursuing this other opportunity), and then go on to state "I know I lack some of the requirements you are looking for, but I am a very fast learner and will definitely prove to you hiring me is the right decision."

Confidence is absolutely key! If you feel you don't know much, don't fret. Nobody knows anything in their first job. Even those who get amazingly difficult internships, are ivy-league grads, whatever. What they teach you in university is 99% useless in the job market. Your learning ability and personable skills are much, much more important.

Rock that crumpets PK.
"everytime I try to draw xen I end up drawing a kangaroo smoking a cigar while chainsawing a tree" - Deoxy
"I can't believe I'm the only person who voted Stallone. His appeal lies in watching is movies again and again just to hear what the hell he's talking about." - Kilteh

Linkman
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Linkman » Wed Oct 08, 2014 12:50 pm

This is what I'd do!

+ Sweater if cold:

Notice this guy is wearing jeans but still pulls off the formal look.

Twelve Boats

Post by Twelve Boats » Wed Oct 08, 2014 1:54 pm

also: be really, really, really good at lying
the dream

Pkdragon

Post by Pkdragon » Wed Oct 08, 2014 2:17 pm

Yeah, the style in those pics I am totally ok with, I just wasn't sure if that wasn't formal enough. now if only i was as sexy as those guys, then this whole process would be a pinch lol.

And LinkedIn then is a good site for job hunting? or is more for just building connections? I don't think I've ever used it. I'll check it out.

@ Deoxy
I... don't like lying. For one thing, I'm transparent as hell IRL and I know it, which makes it even worse. And I can't help but worry that if I lie, it'll come back to bite me if I get hired. After all, if I get hired because I lied and wouldn't get hired otherwise, maybe I shouldn't have the job in the first place.

ofc, that doesn't mean I'm against omitting details. But I can't outright lie with a straight face.

Again, thanks for all the advice, guys. I'll think more about your question, Treed, and try and narrow down what I actually want to do.

Bonesy
3DS Code: 0318 8318 0000

Post by Bonesy » Wed Oct 08, 2014 2:55 pm

become the two armed man at a discount circus

Treedweller

Post by Treedweller » Wed Oct 08, 2014 4:51 pm

Linky and HPD covered the basics with aplomb. Here are a few things that helped me, though.

Mindset

If you're not an angry person, feel free to move to the next section! If you're an angry person or willing to become one (and it has its perks) then good, good. Let the hate flow through you.

I've always hated job-hunting and the idea of selling myself, as though I'm a human resource to be bought and sold by rich people (which I totally am). I also hate all the human resource gatekeepers that stand in the way of finding well-paying jobs with dental benefits. They exploit my inertia by forcing me to set up convoluted accounts, quote arcane competition numbers, and fill out poorly programmed forms just so they don't have to sort through piles of differently formatted resumes - all to apply for a single job that I set in my 'maybe' pile. (I feel you on those government job apps, PK.)

I used that hatred to sustain me in my job search. They want me to sell myself, even though I'm a bashful kinda guy who as a child abhorred even the idea of selling lemonade for quarters in the neighbourhood cul-de-sac? fudge me, then, I'mma sell myself better than the assholes sold themselves to get into the jobs they're in now! Human Resources wants to keep another resume and cover letter off their pile because they're lazy as fudge? Nope! I'mma totally get my resume in their system at all costs, then find out the number of their HR department to pester them into notifying me if I got an interview or not, because not notifying people who take the time to apply for your job is hella rude.

Feel seething anger at the million uncontrollable variables and arbitrary process of job-hunting flow through you. Leverage that into action. Inconvenience others with your mere human presence, and be so outwardly competent and polite and kind that they couldn't possibly be mad at you for your bravado. At least not without looking like a weiner.

Resumes

For a long time, I followed what seemed to be standard American advice with my resume: keep it to one page. Then I went to a seminar specifically geared to Canadian job seekers and was told that two page resumes are standard, and the length of my resume (along with the important details left on the cutting room floor to make it fit) probably held me back. I changed it to two pages and I've never felt freer. I feel like my resume can now represent some of the complexities of my working life and education. I know you're American and likely don't have a ton of experience, so feel free to ignore this if you know it doesn't apply to you. If you feel it could work, set a scope of two pages and start remaking your resume.

Then, replace the stupid career objective traditionally wasting space at the top of resumes with a skill highlights/qualifications section. I put 3 skills that are relevant to the job I'm applying for, with a couple bullets under each that prove I'm super good at everything I say I am.

Also, quantify as much of your resume as you can. People love and understand numbers, especially when $ signs lead that number. Did you save your store $xxxx.xx by doing [stupendous thing]? Did you take 3 Java courses which amounted to 150 hours of classtime and coursework? Or did you serve more than 50 customers in each shift and directed them to [arbitrarily high-priced luxury item with a super high profit margin], which saw a rise in sales when you were on shift? If you did that last one, then you're an asshole. But you're precisely the kind of asshole that other assholes want to work with, so that's excellent!

Tailor your resume and cover letter for every single job you apply for. Use the verbs and nouns that they use in the job posting to make sure your resume gets through initial scans. Because, yes, human resources departments have gotten so terrible that they set machines to bleep and bloop through your resume, looking for special keywords that only HR staff know. I know it's irritating, but if you're not even trying to get past initial screening, you may as well be dropping your application packages in bottles in the ocean and hope that one of them ends up on some rich person island resort where they'll discover it and viciously scrap over the chance to exploit you. And that's the version of that story with the best possible ending.

How to Dress Well

First step to dressing well: don't dress like How to Dress Well.

First, yeah, wearing a suit is overdressed for nearly any job at the entry level - especially for a supermarket. Try business casual from now on. The examples that Linky showed you are inoffensive representatives of the genre (though I'm not a fan of that stripy polyester shirt on the first guy), and those outfits will make you look presentable to 99% of the populace. If you'd like to go deeper, then check out r/malefashionadvice's sidebar on Reddit to learn about great American basics like chinos, OCBDs (Oxford cloth button downs), and Sperry Top-Siders. I lurk this place a lot and picked up a lot. I'm by no means a great dresser, but the advice I've found in that community has allowed me to dress in a way that's garnered surprising appreciation and attention, especially because I make a point of dressing simply.

If you're looking for a place to pick up all these basics, you're American, and Uniqlo is thus super for cheap basics. I get most my stuff from J.Crew, which is more expensive, but of excellent quality and fit. Their chinos and OCBDs are especially great. But J.Crew is something to look at only when you've had time to experiment with your personal style and want to build a wardrobe that lasts. In the meantime, Uniqlo or the Gap or whatever will serve you well.

Second, PK, you're pretty just the way you are, and if you're overweight, dress for your body. Fit is the most important thing about clothes, so try on everything before you buy (except underwear and socks). And here's another guide from r/malefashionadvice geared towards larger men. See if it'll help you dress with more confidence.

And that's it for now! I have more specific advice on volunteering and internships and how I leveraged unpaid labour to get excellent references even with limited experience, as well as advice on exploiting your history major. Because, though he may have anecdotal evidence showing humanities majors struggling, I respectfully disagree with HPD that finding good work for people like us needs to be harder than it is for most.

But I'll save all that for part deux, which I'll try to write in a couple days.

Narts

Post by Narts » Wed Oct 08, 2014 8:05 pm

Regarding dress: Mostly what treed and link said, but if you're thinking about a programming career, it's particularly important to just disregard any notion of dressing formally. The tech industry, particularly software startups, pride themselves on eschewing traditional business dress code and practices and being young and hip and cool and turning up to interviews in shorts and band t-shirts. Wearing a tie and suit could be seen as a sign that you don't know much about the industry.

In any case, the dress code depends largely where you are applying to, so try to get a feeling beforehand what the particular personality of the company and the workplace is, and how much formality is likely to be expected of you.

Regarding lying: Please don't. I know it's possible to use lying and cheating and generally narcissistic behaviour to advance in the corporate world and that some people do precisely that - but the thing is, those people are particularly good at it because it comes naturally to them, and they tend to end up together with other similar people. Other than them, the corporate world is just like the rest of the world, populated by normal people like you and me, many of whom actually see honesty as a desirable personal trait, and whose perception of you is not going to be affected very positively if they catch you lying. Don't think you need to become a sociopath in order to be successful.

Here's also the point where I could remind you that a job interview isn't only about the company screening you, but also an opportunity for you to learn as much as possible about the company that is about to hire you and the people who work there and evaluate if it's really the right place for you. I know it can be a hard idea to internalise when you're just trying to get your shoe between the door by any means possible but you don't have to accept just any job, if you get the feeling the whole place is filled with snake people.

daisy

Post by daisy » Wed Oct 08, 2014 9:23 pm

In my experience of job hunting, half the time it's who you know, not what you know. Same goes for promotions.

onewaystreet

Post by onewaystreet » Thu Oct 09, 2014 12:23 am

In my experience with dressing for interviews, you should dress up one level than what should be expected of you to wear on the job.

For example, if you have a uniform, then go to the interview business casual. If the dress code is business casual, wear a suit. There is no such thing as being too overdressed for an interview. It shows that you care to put the effort into yourself. I've always interviewed for lab/industrial plant type jobs though, so I dunno if a programming job would be different.

As far as resumes, I held myself to one page as well for a while, and I had to cut a lot of useful things. So don't do that, as long as your second page is at least a third to a half of a page. Otherwise it just looks silly.

I used indeed to search for job listings.

Talking to recruiters can be useful too...they're all over the place on LinkedIn and such. From what I've seen, most of what they have is temporary contract positions (6 months to a year or so), but any experience is worthwhile. They're generally useless, but sometimes you can strike gold. Find one, set up a meeting at a Starbucks or something, and maybe you'll luck out too.

Ultimately though, a lot of it does have to do with who you know. LinkedIn can be good for that. If you haven't already, you can essentially cold call someone who is high-ish up in HR at a company (or a similar role) and ask if they have any openings. The worst that'll happen is that they won't respond, but as Linky said, if one in ten does respond, then that's excellent!
thefalman wrote:Honestly, just when I thought we could all have a nice topic about mocking ridiculously, overly hardcore fundamentalists, it has to turn into a religious debate.

You bastards.
thefalman wrote:
RadioShadow wrote:Including having SEX? :o
I know it's an alien concept to you RS, but there's no need to act so surprised.

DieselPheonix

Post by DieselPheonix » Thu Oct 09, 2014 3:51 pm

Sociopathy is welcome and a requirement to becoming a supervillain. Sometimes I feel inadequate in this regard.

This may not apply just now, but in the future when you have too many things to boast about, consider trimming the ones that lasted no longer than six months unless they are particularly relevant or impressive to the next position you are aiming for. Do make note of anything that seems noteworthy in order to bring them up in conversation. The less it sounds like you are merely reciting your papers, the better.

Alecat

Post by Alecat » Fri Oct 10, 2014 11:15 am

If you're not sure about dress code and you need to turn up for an interview, I don't see any problem with asking. Just a quick, "hey do you have a company dress code?" if you set up an interview likely won't go astray.

In my experience, job finding is all about who you know. Every job I've ever had (not including the random art/design commission here and there) has been a consequence of knowing someone. Or someone knowing of me. I consider myself very lucky to be able to have skipped a lot of the pain of the job hunt because a lot of this has happened around me, but when I break it down I think there are ways to manipulate things beyond just luck.

Who do you know who could make use of your skillset? Make your friends and family aware you're looking for a job, what you can do and ask them to keep their ears out for you. When their friends talk about potential positions open at their offices they'll then be able to immediately talk about you, putting a good impression of you forward. You'll probably also get a lot of dumb/bothersome job ads and offers forwarded to you but hey that's the price you pay for free promotion.

kiwi

Post by kiwi » Sun Oct 26, 2014 3:01 pm

PK UPDATE? are you the president of your own company yet?? does your company deal in EXPLOSIONS???

if not, gem in some volunteer work!

that's right, people will see that and be like "wow, this person is badass considerate and doesn't spend free time complaining about things on the internet! we should hire him so he can use the time he could be doing helping old people cross streets doing boring work at our company!"

oh yeah but do some months before flaunting it, you don't want to look like you're doing it for your own personal gain because that's MANIPULATIVE

hawkesnightmare

Post by hawkesnightmare » Mon Oct 27, 2014 2:45 am

kiwi wrote:PK UPDATE? are you the president of your own company yet?? does your company deal in EXPLOSIONS???

I have nothing else to say in relation to the original topic, as everyone has said everything that I know.
daisy: If the UK is worse than the present #5 in the world in terms of GDP come July 1st 2018 I will dye my hair pink.

Pkdragon

Post by Pkdragon » Fri Oct 31, 2014 7:02 am

I haven't gotten much done on the job hunt but that's because I've been making money at the part time job I DO have due to a lot of complicated stuff happening resulting in me getting a lot more work than i usually get.

and also i've been in an accelerated course to learn how to program for android phones. i've been learning a ton but there's been next to no structured instruction (which is a bit disappointing) so i'm basically teaching myself much of it.

i've also hit an interesting point in general programming studying. i've figured out how to break away from "do what the teacher says to do, repeat the code that's in the book etc" and am figuring out how to look up what i need on my own and how to apply the stuff i'm learning to my own projects. it's a good feeling because it's all starting to come together and that's what i NEED to happen.

but yeah if this month was the month of learning to program, next month is going to be the month of the job hunt. tomorrow i think i'm going to head to the career center and ask for advice.