Alors! Dann!! WWN learns a new language!

WWN's Social Lounge. The place to come and chill out for a relaxed conversation about life and stuff, or some more serious debates.
Linkman
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Alors! Dann!! WWN learns a new language!

Post by Linkman » Tue Oct 14, 2014 11:45 am

“Anyone who stops learning is old, whether at twenty or eighty. Anyone who keeps learning stays young.”
― Henry Ford

I know we've had this topic like four times already, but this time it's for good WWN. We're doing this crumpets.

I took the TOEFL test last weekend (test of english as a foreign language), and to me it sort of crossed an imaginary line. I barely studied before the test, found it boring as hell, as left an hour early. I think this means I am done with my English education. I can already speak it well enough, or at least as good as I'm gonna get not being a native.

So what's next? "When are you learning German, Linky?"

Merde. I'm not even done with French. By this point I was supposed to be a Francophone bastard. Alors!!

(my french teacher yelled "Alors!!" when we were falling asleep. I now use it to scare people who are dozing off. So I randomly yell "Alors!!" at people.)

tl;dr Linky chronicles learning French and possibly in the near future German, in an effort to make himself accountable. Sort of like Sven and his work-outs.
"everytime I try to draw xen I end up drawing a kangaroo smoking a cigar while chainsawing a tree" - Deoxy
"I can't believe I'm the only person who voted Stallone. His appeal lies in watching is movies again and again just to hear what the hell he's talking about." - Kilteh

onewaystreet

Re: Alors!! Donc!! WWN learns a new language!

Post by onewaystreet » Tue Oct 14, 2014 12:00 pm

Can anybody help me learn basic Dutch by, um, November 1st? >_>
thefalman wrote:Honestly, just when I thought we could all have a nice topic about mocking ridiculously, overly hardcore fundamentalists, it has to turn into a religious debate.

You bastards.
thefalman wrote:
RadioShadow wrote:Including having SEX? :o
I know it's an alien concept to you RS, but there's no need to act so surprised.

Linkman
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Linkman » Tue Oct 14, 2014 12:09 pm

What I am doing to learn French?

Short answer: absolutely nothing. Which is why I am writing this in the first place.

Long answer: last year I took three trimesters of French. Due to unforeseen circumstances I dropped out during the third trimester. So, I finished A1.1, A1.2, and A2.1.

Much like I told Treed last topic, half the point of taking the class is forcing myself to do French twice a week. Without the class, I simply don't put in the hours, since it's a hobby and not a necessity. So I haven't done any French since april of this year.

What I did do, in an effort to keep studying, was print three different books with exercises for the intermediate French learner. One focuses on grammar, one on vocabulary, and one on verbal tenses, which is the one thing I miss from going to l'institut. I hoped to do at least one or two chapters of each every week.

I have slacked big time on these. So here's where we keep track: I gotta do at least one chapter a week of these three books. I will post results and findings here.

Where do I need to focus?

The good part is that due to my native portuguese I have killer French pronunciation, so I'm definitely good there. Grammatical structure is also similar to Spanish and Portuguese, so that usually works out as well.

Vocabulary is a bit of a pickle. A lot of the time, I can fumble through with similar-sounding words to another language, but some crumpets is simply not similar to anything I'm familiar with. The vocabulary book I printed out is okay, but it's not very fun to sit down and learn 20+ names for fruits. It simply doesn't stick--I don't think I printed a very good vocabulary book. I say this because when I do the grammar book and exercises they do stick with me, but the vocabs simply bore me. I'll try and find some new material for this.

Listening is a bit weak. I can make out the words when I got subtitles, but a lot of the time the thing just sounds like gibberish. Which leads me to my next point...

Media consumption

This is a problem! See, I don't really care for Francophone media all that much. I should try watching movies or whatever in French, but it just happens that I'm never in the mood.

At some point I tried reading Le Monde every day during my bus ride, but then I switched jobs and now I don't have a long bus ride and I dropped the habit rather quickly.

I found a nice outlet though: I started playing European version of DS games. The very best case is Phoenix Wright! It's an amazing game if you're learning French and I heartily recommend it. The plot and characters were already familiar to me, and the language was not too complicated--plus, since it's a text game, you have to read it, and you can't just blaze through the words. I've already finished the game, and it pleases me that I had no trouble understanding any of it.

While it's a great learning tool, sadly it doesn't help me with the listening. I wish it had voice acting! I'll be looking for more fun DS games, hopefully with voice acting now. I doubt those games that do have voice acting were localized, but hey, a man can dream. If you have any suggestions here, please speak up.

Something else which is very useful, is this youtube channel: Golden Moustache. They're mostly comedy sketches, but surely enough, they have subtitles and they use colloquial language which is great. I find it easier to watch these in small bites than watching a full movie. Plus, they're funny. So yeah, that's good.

How will you know your progress?

Taking the TOEFL last weekend made me realize: I thrive at academic settings. Which means I will most likely do well if I prepare myself with a standardized test in mind.

And that is my current goal: I will take the A2 Delf and pass it with flying colours before the end of the year. I'm not sure if I'll just print out one of those internet copies and time myself, or if I'll go take the real thing and fork out the ~100 it costs. The point is, before 2015, I need to be DELF A2 ready.

What about you guys?
"everytime I try to draw xen I end up drawing a kangaroo smoking a cigar while chainsawing a tree" - Deoxy
"I can't believe I'm the only person who voted Stallone. His appeal lies in watching is movies again and again just to hear what the hell he's talking about." - Kilteh

Sven

Post by Sven » Tue Oct 14, 2014 12:52 pm

as i say pretty much every time these topics come up:

i've spent a lot of time doing language learning electives - i have the "learning how to understand what's going on without being able to speak a word" thing down pretty well. I've taken a university level history course taught in french with assignments in english. i've done a year each of ancient egyptian and latin. i'm currently in an american sign language course.

understanding is never the problem. you drill vocabulary and grammar with a flashcard application daily and you're functional within a couple months. yes, there are days when it fudge sucks. you also lose it relatively quickly if you stop jamming the flashcards.

speaking or writing are completely different, i actually have no real solutions here. i've never tried to use a language other than english to communicate since I was forced to with french in highschool. it's the whole reason i'm taking the sign language course - i'm very interested in figuring out the "speaking" side of things.

Dragonite

Post by Dragonite » Tue Oct 14, 2014 4:21 pm

onewaystreet wrote:Can anybody help me learn basic Dutch by, um, November 1st? >_>
Why dutch? Eh, it's probably best to google first. Since we're a small country, it isn't as easy to pick a course up as the big guys like french, german, or spanish. Perhaps somebody in your city gives courses?

And of course we're here, but I can't do much more then test you I'm afraid.

onewaystreet

Post by onewaystreet » Tue Oct 14, 2014 9:20 pm

My company has a manufacturing plant in Belgium, and I'm going there for a week!

so it's not like I need to be fluent or anything
thefalman wrote:Honestly, just when I thought we could all have a nice topic about mocking ridiculously, overly hardcore fundamentalists, it has to turn into a religious debate.

You bastards.
thefalman wrote:
I know it's an alien concept to you RS, but there's no need to act so surprised.

Dragonite

Post by Dragonite » Tue Oct 14, 2014 11:06 pm

Chances are they are rather fluent in English, although learning basic dutch would be nice. Dutch people are infamous for having passable English most of the time, I think Belgium is mostly the same, at least in the north.

hawkesnightmare

Post by hawkesnightmare » Wed Oct 15, 2014 2:35 am

I've never had use for learning a new language, due to my living in 'Murica, and the center of the country at that. Most people who live elsewhere choose a language that would benefit them somehow(ex. Onewaystreet and Dutch). But when you live in the same town as the headquarters of a fairly large insurance company that rhymes with Slate Marm, the most useful second language one could learn would be Indian, but there aren't any Indian language tutors for five hundred miles.
daisy: If the UK is worse than the present #5 in the world in terms of GDP come July 1st 2018 I will dye my hair pink.

MysteriousLad

Post by MysteriousLad » Wed Oct 15, 2014 4:08 am

Honestly I hate learning languages, I'm alot better at subjects like math or the various sciences.
Though I'm having to learn German, Dutch, English and French. I could also have done Chinese, Latin and Greek as an extra however I already hate learning 4 so 7 is too much.
"i put on my robe and wizard hat" ~Pkdragon
"rocks fall everyone dies" ~HPD
Welcome to the optimistic world of WWN :D

And logic doesn't work on MysteriousLad... ~Kireato
Wait, wait, wait.

Organized crime is selling bagels on television? Since when? ~Dragon Fogel

onewaystreet

Post by onewaystreet » Wed Oct 15, 2014 7:42 am

Dragonite wrote:Chances are they are rather fluent in English, although learning basic dutch would be nice.
Evidently the location of the plant, Geel, is in the "Dutch part of Belgium" (or so I'm told). The people I've been in contact with at the plant are fluent English speakers for sure (our division of the company is HQ'd in the Boston area, although we were bought by Sanofi, which is French but that's neither here nor there), so I'm not too worried about that. But transit to and from the plant might be difficult.

You bastards.
thefalman wrote:

Dragonite

Post by Dragonite » Wed Oct 15, 2014 9:53 am

onewaystreet wrote:
Dragonite wrote:Chances are they are rather fluent in English, although learning basic dutch would be nice.
Evidently the location of the plant, Geel, is in the "Dutch part of Belgium" (or so I'm told). The people I've been in contact with at the plant are fluent English speakers for sure (our division of the company is HQ'd in the Boston area, although we were bought by Sanofi, which is French but that's neither here nor there), so I'm not too worried about that. But transit to and from the plant might be difficult.

That town name literally means yellow. *sigh*. It's near the border it seems. Guess learning some key words for transit might not hurt. Or by all means go serious about it and lament how annoying the language is >_>

onewaystreet

Post by onewaystreet » Thu Oct 16, 2014 11:01 am

Hey dragonite does Belgium have the usual EU outlets? (Read: do I need an outlet converter thing?)

You bastards.
thefalman wrote:

HPD
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by HPD » Thu Oct 16, 2014 2:25 pm

they have eu type sockets
"So when I say the fudge shaman flies he goddamn well flies and that's that." - Narts
"My motto is that there are far too many women in the world to waste time with men." - thefalman
"It's just that I'm not really aware of how a common conversation goes." - Imano Ob, talking on MSN about talking on MSN
"As for FE8, that was IS' variant of Man Spam - Dudes with Swords edition." - Xenesis

Sven

Post by Sven » Thu Oct 16, 2014 4:14 pm

probably gonna make a big post on sign language sometime soon, and how i'm personally going to try and get past the "cool i have a bunch of vocab now what" thing that goes on when you start a new language.

Linkman
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Linkman » Fri Oct 17, 2014 1:27 am

Also planning a big post on the week's advances!

I started Hotel Dusk for DS, in French.

Sven

Post by Sven » Fri Oct 17, 2014 7:40 pm

so american sign language (ASL) is really fudge weird to me as a language learner a number of reasons:

1) the language is a gestural language. my main method of language learning is ignoring speaking it entirely and just jamming as many flashcards of the written language as i can. there is no written language for ASL - they read and write english.

the roman alphabet does not convey signs. so how am i supposed to flashcard a series of signs? use an awful diagram that probably won't help me recognize the sign in person? take a video of myself signing every time I want a new flashcard? sometimes you need a word used multiple times to really understand the concept it's trying to convey in a new language.

2) related to the above: how do i even check that i`m signing something properly when i go through the flashcards? do I just use my webcam to record and playback a video every single time? maybe a mirror will be good enough? so much easier when i'm just writing down sentences.

3) this is probably the most minor point - but i'm learning it outside a university environment. the pacing is glacial. like six weeks in and i can`t do much more than introduce my name glacial. that's me just being a little bitch though, i haven't put in more than an hour a week outside class -_-.

fortunately though there are some familiar things to me:

there's an easily trainable skill that i've been neglecting - learning how to use and recognize fingerspelling. it's exactly what it sounds like - it's a method of representing the roman alphabet with your hands. with apps like http://asl.ms/%28%29/().htm it's easy to train recognition, which will bring me back into my own comfort zone as a learner.

and it's not as though if using flashcards is impossible - they'll just have to be used differently, to test my responses instead of my recognition. one of the main goals is to be able to describe people physically - i guess i can just drill that.

so here's the plan:

-i spend ten hours a week in public transit - i have no shame, i'll some amount of it practicing fingerspelling.

-there is technically a DVD and textbook I've been given to work through. i go through it very briefly each week, mostly using it because it has vocabulary summaries & examples of the signs. i don't feel the exercises really do anything. mostly will look through it to make sure i have all the vocab down.

-figure out something i can do with flashcards. there's gotta be a way i can train recognition like i did with other languages.

hawkesnightmare

Post by hawkesnightmare » Sat Oct 18, 2014 8:48 am

Sven wrote:-i spend ten hours a week in public transit - i have no shame, i'll some amount of it practicing fingerspelling.
inb4 the person across the aisle from you thinks that you're making obscene gestures at them.
daisy: If the UK is worse than the present #5 in the world in terms of GDP come July 1st 2018 I will dye my hair pink.

Linkman
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Linkman » Mon Oct 20, 2014 2:21 pm

So I wrote a few pieces in French. I think they're okay, but I'll have a native speaker look at 'em when possible.

Hotel dusk is proving a text-intensive game.

Treedweller

Post by Treedweller » Mon Oct 20, 2014 4:23 pm

Linky, if you're looking for voice acted games, PC is the place to be. Skyrim, The Witcher, XCOM: Enemy Unknown, Borderlands, Dragon Age: Origins, Mass Effect, Portal - all have decent French localizations (with voice acting) that helped me connect my reading and listening skills.

I'd suggest DS games, but I've been down that road. Besides a few snippets in the excellent translations of Professeur Layton, you ain't gonna find much voice acting. Otherwise, yeah, you'll be sticking with text-heavy games. The upside is that many DS games, especially those by Nintendo or Square Enix, have quality text translations if you're just interested in reading.

Bonne chance, frérot.

Linkman
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Linkman » Wed Oct 22, 2014 4:27 am

Code: Select all

Test	Test Date	Reading	Listening	Speaking	Writing	Total
TOEFL iBT	Sat Oct 11 09:22:51 EDT 2014	30	30	28	24	112
112/120, which is okay for most institutions (they ask for 90-100 whatever). Some institutions are picky and ask for 25+ in each category, which blows because I only got a 24 in writing. I hope this isn't an issue.

Lambda

Post by Lambda » Wed Oct 22, 2014 4:39 am

So I wrote a few pieces in French. I think they're okay, but I'll have a native speaker look at 'em when possible.

Hotel dusk is proving a text-intensive game.
Would you mind posting your notes here ?

I can help if needed.

Linkman
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Linkman » Thu Oct 23, 2014 6:45 am

Thank you Lambda! Here's my first two pieces. They've already been checked, so they should be mostly fine.
Un café? wrote:- Eh bien...

Elle lève un sourcil. Son visage d'impatience est évidente.

- Peut-être... un mochaccino ?

- Nous n'avons pas de mochaccino.

- Ah... Mais c'est un café, non ? Comment est-ce possible que vous n'avez pas de mochaccino ?

Silence. Elle soupire, et même ainsi elle est très jolie. Mon Dieu, je l'aime.

- Monsieur --commence t-elle--, vous savez que nous n'avons pas de mocha. Vous êtes ici tous les jours. Vous connaissez le menu parfaitement. Je pense que vous avez essayé chaque boisson de notre café.

- Eh...

- Alors... pourquoi me posez-vous des questions crétines ? Vous n'êtes pas stupide.

- Peut-être, je me sens un peu stupide quand je vous regarde.

Le sourcil s'est encore levé.
Quel est mon album favori ? wrote:Quel est mon album favori ? Pour moi, c'est une question très difficile. Je n'ai pas d'album favori, parce que je pense que ça n'existe pas. J'ai beaucoup d'artistes préférés, et plusieurs d'entre eux sont en fonction de humeurs différentes.

Par exemple, je suis un énorme fan des Beatles, mais je ne sens pas que ils soient pour toutes les occasions--et je me rends bien compte que peut-être je suis le seule en cette avis! Mais pour moi, c'est claire, parfois j'ain besoin d'un peu plus de rock. Quelque chose comment Metallica, ou AC/DC, un métal pur et simple.

Je suis fan du jazz aussi, et franchement, peut-on comparer Miles Davis avec Metallica ? Ce sont deux types différents de musique, et je ne peux pas décider entre eux. C'est pour cela, que je n'ai pas de album favori; j'ai beaucoup de albums favoris!

Lambda

Post by Lambda » Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:26 am

- Un café ? Eh bien...

Elle lève un sourcil. Son impatience est évidente.

- Peut-être... un mochaccino ?

- Nous n'avons pas de mochaccino.

- Ah... Mais c'est un café, non ? Comment est-ce possible que vous n'ayez pas de mochaccino ?

Silence. Elle soupire, et même ainsi elle est très jolie. Mon Dieu, je l'aime.

- Monsieur, commence-t-elle, vous savez que nous n'avons pas de mocha. Vous êtes ici tous les jours et vous connaissez le menu parfaitement. Je pense que vous avez essayé chaque boisson de notre café.

- Eh...

- Alors... pourquoi me posez-vous des questions crétines ? Vous n'êtes pas stupide.

- Peut-être, je me sens un peu stupide quand je vous regarde."

Son sourcil s'est encore levé.

Quel est mon album favori ?

Quel est mon album favori ? Pour moi, c'est une question très difficile. Je n'ai pas d'album favori, parce que je pense que ça n'existe pas. J'ai beaucoup d'artistes préférés, et j'écoute plusieurs d'entre eux en fonction de mes différentes humeurs.

Par exemple, je suis un énorme fan des Beatles, mais je ne pense pas que ils soient pour toutes les occasions et je me rends bien compte que je suis peut-être le seul de cet avis! Mais pour moi, c'est clair, parfois j'ai besoin d'un peu plus de rock. Quelque chose comment Metallica, ou AC/DC, du métal pur et simple.

Je suis fan du jazz aussi, et franchement, peut-on comparer Miles Davis avec Metallica ? Ce sont deux types de musique différents, et je ne peux pas décider entre eux. C'est pour cela que je n'ai pas d'album favori; j'ai beaucoup d'albums favoris!
It's really nice overall, well done ! I just corrected some mistakes and changed some words here and there.

Linkman
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Linkman » Thu Oct 23, 2014 11:45 am

Thank you Lambda!

This week's target: write something with a little more verbal tense complexity.

Linkman
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Linkman » Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:24 pm

Verbs -- Okay so I'm working with this book: http://www.amazon.com/French-Drills-Fou ... 0071744746

And I like it. It's quick, concise and has many exercises. It's good for people who already know the basics and simply want to drill until they're second nature; I guess it's not recommended for those who want to learn from scratch, cause it's not gonna give you a lot of context.

Grammar -- I am doing this one: http://www.amazon.co.uk/French-Grammar- ... 0071475133

Which I like for the same reasons as above.

Now, I got both of these at work and what I do is that whenever I can spare a minute and my dickwad co-workers aren't pestering me, I pick them up and start doing exercises. Really good practice I must say.

Kireato

Post by Kireato » Sat Oct 25, 2014 2:43 am

We don't really use "Eh" in French. The first use should be "Et bien..." and for the second it should probably be "Euh..."
"Hey, it's the Kir. Wee." - Linkman 145
"I can't help myself sometimes... :cry:" -Help Topic Guest

Linkman
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Linkman » Sat Oct 25, 2014 3:04 am

I think I picked up "Eh" from Phoenix Wright--but I'll be doing "Euh" from now on! :D

Lambda

Post by Lambda » Sat Oct 25, 2014 4:00 am

didn't notice this one but he's completely right

Il a raison !

Linkman
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Linkman » Thu Oct 30, 2014 12:35 pm

Have done a fair share of exercises in both books mentioned above. Feeling like making real progress!

By sunday: I'm aiming have two more texts, this time using le passé composé and le participe présent.

Sven

Post by Sven » Thu Oct 30, 2014 1:35 pm

DR AND MRS VANDERTRAMP

Linkman
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Linkman » Mon Nov 03, 2014 5:23 am

Sven wrote:DR AND MRS VANDERTRAMP
You're up, fudge!
- Savez-vous pourquoi vous êtes ici ?

La pièce était sombre, hormis pour une grosse lampe dirigée sur un homme assis au centre. L'autre personne, une femme, était assise de l'autre coté de la table. Elle le regardait avec une expression très sévère.

- Donc ? C'est dans votre intérêt de répondre, monsieur.

L'homme transpirait. Il avait l'apparence de quelqu'un qui se trouve au mauvais endroit, et au mauvais moment.

- Non, madame, je ne comprends pas pourquoi j'ai eté appelé. Je n'ai rien fait, c'est la vérité !

- Bien sûr que vous avez fait quelque chose, monsieur Vanderkramp. Si vous n'avez rien fait, comment expliquez-vous la présence de vos empreintes digitales dans le lieu du crime ? Comprenez-vous la gravité de la situation?

Vanderkramp semblait nerveux. Ses mains tremblaient.

- Ça... Ça ne signifie rien. Je travaille dans le même bureau que madame Zidane. C'est parfaitement possible que j'aie laissé mes empreintes là à un autre moment!

- Vous devez avouer, monsieur Vanderkramp. Je sais parfaitement que c'est vous qui l'avait tuée.

Après un moment de silence, l'homme s'est levé.

- Je demande à voir mon avocat.

Sven

Post by Sven » Wed Feb 18, 2015 8:29 am

yo how'd this end up going linkman?

i ended up finishing the first course in ASL. i didn't actually use my textbook/DVD at all, mostly just went over stuff mentally for a few minutes everyday. didn't continue it this semester to take the rest of my studies more seriously.

not sure if i want to continue it during the summer, probably not going to.

Linkman
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Linkman » Wed Feb 18, 2015 9:40 am

It's up to the point I can watch Le Monde and understand most of it, but I still kinda suffer with weird verbs/vocab. I feel sort of stuck though, like I'm not going to improve more unless I actively consume media which I found myself not willing to.

I'm probably taking german come March!

MysteriousLad

Post by MysteriousLad » Sun Mar 29, 2015 6:23 pm

Learning Japanese, it's actually quite simple once you get your head round how it actually works. It's so different from English (or Dutch) that's no point attempting to just translate due to the completely different grammar.
Oh, it's also just Chinese with added bits. They've adopted the Chinese symbols (Kanji) for nouns ect. and then have the other alphabets (there's 2) in Kana. Kana's basically just writing a symbol for each sound you make, you always write words as you pronounce them.
This is quite easy however learning the 50 symbols is a bit of a pain.

Wait, wait, wait.

Sniffit II

Post by Sniffit II » Sun Mar 29, 2015 9:04 pm

I'm currently learning C for a project with a friend. the syntax is quite familliar to me, but I will see what happens when I start trying to use it, especially as I've not used bitflags before.
i don't know what a bishop ninja is but if it can still move diagonal without being seen it's got my vote - Pkdragon

FEAR ME, FEAR THE FIRE THAT BURNS IN MY BALLS, VERIDIAN FOREST! - Dragonite

Vote Sniffit for Space Dictator.

Dragonite

Post by Dragonite » Sun Mar 29, 2015 11:08 pm

MysteriousLad wrote:Learning Japanese, it's actually quite simple once you get your head round how it actually works. It's so different from English (or Dutch) that's no point attempting to just translate due to the completely different grammar.
Oh, it's also just Chinese with added bits. They've adopted the Chinese symbols (Kanji) for nouns ect. and then have the other alphabets (there's 2) in Kana. Kana's basically just writing a symbol for each sound you make, you always write words as you pronounce them.
I'm impressed. You're doing this on your own, or with a special school program?

MysteriousLad

Post by MysteriousLad » Sun Mar 29, 2015 11:58 pm

Dragonite wrote:
MysteriousLad wrote:Learning Japanese, it's actually quite simple once you get your head round how it actually works. It's so different from English (or Dutch) that's no point attempting to just translate due to the completely different grammar.
I'm impressed. You're doing this on your own, or with a special school program?
My own, french and german bore me.
Just finished learning the first of three alphabets; Hiragana.

Wait, wait, wait.

Linkman
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Linkman » Mon Mar 30, 2015 1:31 am

I tried learning a bit of japanese when I was 14 or so. I stopped when I realized it would take me lots more hours than learning a language with more common roots to mine.

It's still a fun exercise! The first bits of a language are the most fun to learn.

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO
3DS Code: 2535-4646-7163

Post by Xenesis » Mon Mar 30, 2015 2:47 am

Being in the place itself, I'm pleased to discover that I've re-learned most of the Japanese I've neglected for a good decade.

Now if only all that vocabulary would come back. And I had a better ear for it. Ah well, immersion.
IST wrote:Even the worst individual needs to discover the joys of a chicken statue that is also a pregnant blonde housewife.

Linkman
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Linkman » Tue Mar 31, 2015 11:28 am

So, I took German. Wie bitte? This crumpets be tough.

I love it. I mean not German per se, but I love learning languages. It hits a sweet spot in my brain that none of my other professional or academic activities hit. I literally feel like it's working out brain muscles I didn't even know I have.

My French keeps popping out, which is funny. It's like my brain has muscle memory and tends to read new words in French pronunciation rather than German. But after a few moments every class it rewires itself for the long "aahs", and "oohs", and the harsh gutural "chs".

Unlike French, I find many more parallels with English--I'm doing good and I've nailed most of the pronunciation difficulties already. The advantages of being raised bilingual. Please do not believe any of the silly, silly people who claim children should not learn more than one language at an early age.