ITT: Bog argues with his 18 year old self

WWN's Social Lounge. The place to come and chill out for a relaxed conversation about life and stuff, or some more serious debates.
daisy

ITT: Bog argues with his 18 year old self

Post by daisy » Tue Oct 21, 2014 2:29 am

I need to do this. Also, sorry Kanz.

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=11858
Bog wrote:Before I start, I'm going to ask a series of questions which I'd like someone, preferably an Atheist who is knowledgeble about what they actually believe, to answer. (Not someone who "doesn't care.") Detail doesn't matter. You can write a million paragraphs, one sentence or anything in between. By answering I assume you're wanting a debate. (Something which I've been craving for a looooong time.)
Someone who "doesn't care" is probably an atheist, or at least an agnostic. Also, you want details because you're asking for them, so they do matter for you. And stop thinking you're smart, cos you're not. You're really not. You've read a few biased books and think you know everything. Humility is a big part of Christianity, don't you know?
Bog wrote:1. What existed before the Big Bang? (Which I believe happened.) If you don't believe in the Big Bang, why not? What's your theory? (If any)
2. How did the Big Bang occur? What caused it?
3. Do you believe in intelligent extraterrastrial life?
4. Is the universe infinite in size? If yes jump to question 6.
5. What exists outside the universe?
6. Is the universe infinite in time? (IE, no end and/or no beginning.)
7. What's your thoughts on evolution? (Which again I mostly agree with.)
8. Do you have any previous experience with "religion," if so, what? What turned you off it?
1. I don't know. You don't know.
2. I don't know. You don't know.
3. Yes. Why? Oh, cos Richard Dawkins does? Yeah, he's not representative of most intelligent atheists.
4. I don't know. You don't know. Your knowledge of physics stops at secondary school level. Stop that crumpets.
5. See #4.
6. See #4.
7. This is probably one of the few areas where we would be in agreement still. But it doesn't matter.
8. You are currently going to an extremely politically conservative church every Sunday out of obligation, and getting increasingly annoyed at wasting your Sunday evenings. You are turned off it, you just don't want to admit it, you filthy hypocrite.
Bog wrote:Any long-time regular here will remember me as a stubborn, obnoxious and angry creationist kid with a brick wall for a brain. Well that's gone out the window. At the end of 2008 you could say I saw the error of my ways, without getting too theological on you. Since then I've actually read the Bible and I actually know what I believe in.
You still have a brick wall for a brain, just the cement is wearing out a bit. You have read the Bible but by god do you not understand a freaking word of it beyond the gospels you fudge imbecile.
Bog wrote:I believe the Genesis story to be poetic. "Let there be light" is a poetic way of describing the Big Bang, for example. Humans were created after animals, suggesting evolution. One of the very common misconceptions about Genesis 1-3 is the word "day." It's not a literal day. In fact, in the original Hebrew it actually means "period of time." So there could be any amount of time between each of the 7 "days" of creation that the Bible describes. Hebrew is just a very difficult language to accurately translate.
Here's something I've learned in the 4 years since you wrote this: no one outside of religion gives a fudge what you believe. You are filling in gaps. God of the Gaps is a crumpets argument even if you dress it up. Also, the "day/period of the time" thing is disputed, and you know that, you just don't want to say it cos you want to look smart. Stop that crumpets.
Bog wrote:Also, one needs to understand the culture in which the Bible was written. When it says, for example, "Fred, son of Fred 2" in reality it means "Fred, descendant of Fred 2." This is because of culture, mainly. While today we have CVs to make ourselves look good and sell ourselves to other people, back in Biblical times you named people with a good reputation that you were related to. So for example, if you wanted to apply for a job with that culture here today, you'd say you were related to someone like Mother Teresa or Bill Gates. The Earth is not 3000 years old.
You are correct, but literally NO ONE in this topic appart from Dragonite gives a damn about this crumpets, so I dunno why you're telling people this.
Bog wrote:Jesus I believe has infinite love for each and every one of us, died on the cross and rose again, etc. In doing so he took the punishment for any sins you or I commit, thereby granting us a place in Heaven if we accept him. (I am not doing a "turn or burn" thing. That sucks and never works. It shouldn't morally work anyway... Jesus wouldn't have done it.) That's it in a nutshell really.
Stop thinking with emotions and engage your fudge brain.
Bog wrote:So yeah, go go go.
fudge you. You don't have a clue.

Dragonite

Re: ITT: Bog argues with his 18 year old self

Post by Dragonite » Tue Oct 21, 2014 3:59 am

Ah, I remember this topic. I share your sentiment in wanting to wanting to tell your past self so much..

hawkesnightmare

Post by hawkesnightmare » Tue Oct 21, 2014 4:27 am

While reading these types of topics is amusing, I don't necessarily condone the self-insulting, even if the past you can never read them. It just makes you feel worse about yourself when you think about where you came from and how stupid you thought you were. As you've said, you were 18 when you wrote that. Trying to sound smart and look like you have all your beliefs in check is something that 100% of teenagers do. I still do it sometimes, and I like to think that I've grown a ton since I last put any question to my beliefs (19 btw). Instead, just think back to how you used to be, think "wow, that was...wow," and move on. Your past makes up who you are. If you hadn't come from that place of thinking with your emotions more than your brain, you wouldn't appreciate as much how your thought process works now. As you are well aware, (cue memories of horrible argument in religion topic) I was a Christian until very recently. Now, I simply identify as a Deist, which is basically believing a deity exists only because the evidence so far permits it. As soon as something absolutely definitive comes out disproving the existence of a god(rather, proving the false hypothesis), I will change my beliefs again. In forty years, I'll probably look back on this time in my life and think I was so stupid and naive, but that's not healthy thinking.
daisy: If the UK is worse than the present #5 in the world in terms of GDP come July 1st 2018 I will dye my hair pink.

Dragonite

Post by Dragonite » Tue Oct 21, 2014 4:51 am

If I recall correctly you were a Christian during all that arguing in April/May. That's indeed very recent, hope you're alright in all mental havoc then.

With reading stuff from the past, it's not so much insulting for me, but more that I really would like to share my later experiences and growth so past me would have a easier time coming out on top with all the crap I've had to deal with. Recently I admitted to myself that in many ways I'm still very much defined by what happened in the past six years or so. It even feels strangely comfortable. Not really sure when or how I'll move on, but that's the way things are right now.

hawkesnightmare

Post by hawkesnightmare » Tue Oct 21, 2014 4:58 am

Considering I can't remember what I had for lunch yesterday, "very recently" reads as "last week."
daisy: If the UK is worse than the present #5 in the world in terms of GDP come July 1st 2018 I will dye my hair pink.

Daisy2

Post by Daisy2 » Tue Oct 21, 2014 9:52 am

[quote="Dragonite"]If I recall correctly you were a Christian during all that arguing in April/May. That's indeed very recent, hope you're alright in all mental havoc then.

With reading stuff from the past, it's not so much insulting for me, but more that I really would like to share my later experiences and growth so past me would have a easier time coming out on top with all the crap I've had to deal with. Recently I admitted to myself that in many ways I'm still very much defined by what happened in the past six years or so. It even feels strangely comfortable. Not really sure when or how I'll move on, but that's the way things are right now.[/quote]
I wasn't a Christian then, and I don't think I even stated it.

I thing is, I recognise a psychological requirement for some form of dogma. Sometimes crumpets over your past self is exactly what is need.

Dragonite

Post by Dragonite » Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:08 am

I meant Hawke in that post Bog.