SCIENTIFIC INQUIRY

WWN's Social Lounge. The place to come and chill out for a relaxed conversation about life and stuff, or some more serious debates.
kiwi

SCIENTIFIC INQUIRY

Post by kiwi » Sun Sep 20, 2015 9:53 am

you guys are pretty smart! does anyone how a block of ice would fall outta the sky?

Linkman
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Re: SCIENTIFIC INQUIRY

Post by Linkman » Sun Sep 20, 2015 11:52 am

Please elaborate.
"everytime I try to draw xen I end up drawing a kangaroo smoking a cigar while chainsawing a tree" - Deoxy
"I can't believe I'm the only person who voted Stallone. His appeal lies in watching is movies again and again just to hear what the hell he's talking about." - Kilteh

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO
3DS Code: 2535-4646-7163

Post by Xenesis » Sun Sep 20, 2015 12:00 pm

Someone threw it from really high?
IST wrote:Even the worst individual needs to discover the joys of a chicken statue that is also a pregnant blonde housewife.

hawkesnightmare

Post by hawkesnightmare » Sun Sep 20, 2015 3:15 pm

Do you mean like a superlarge hailstone, or an actual block of ice, with corners and crumpets? Because I'm sure the former isn't completely unheard of. The latter had to have been human caused.

EDIT: I did a bit of research. The largest known hailstone measure 15 cm and required winds of over 160km to keep it in the air that long. My guess is that it was dropped from somewhere.
daisy: If the UK is worse than the present #5 in the world in terms of GDP come July 1st 2018 I will dye my hair pink.

Narts

Post by Narts » Sun Sep 20, 2015 4:33 pm

Depends on how far up you define sky to be in. Ice and snow falling from the roofs of tall buildings and killing people isn't that uncommon particularly in colder climates.

Technically a meteor falling from space could be composed of ice and if it's big enough it could reach the ground - though I'm not sure if that's ever been confirmed to happen. Apparently there are these things that sound like a super CO power though: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Megacryometeor - but scientists seem to think they're atmospheric in origin.

HPD
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by HPD » Sun Sep 20, 2015 8:00 pm

Might've been a chunk of ice that fell off an airplane. That tends to happen every once in a while.
"So when I say the fudge shaman flies he goddamn well flies and that's that." - Narts
"My motto is that there are far too many women in the world to waste time with men." - thefalman
"It's just that I'm not really aware of how a common conversation goes." - Imano Ob, talking on MSN about talking on MSN
"As for FE8, that was IS' variant of Man Spam - Dudes with Swords edition." - Xenesis

scraggypunk

Post by scraggypunk » Mon Sep 21, 2015 3:01 am

i casted blizzard
wisdom
"the law, in its majestic equality, forbids the rich as well as the poor to sleep under bridges, to beg in the streets, and to steal bread" - anatole france

monkymeet
3DS Code: 3480-3067-3928

Post by monkymeet » Mon Sep 21, 2015 3:32 am

let it go
imageshack swallowed up my sig. This is a placeholder.

Dragonite

Post by Dragonite » Mon Sep 21, 2015 4:33 am

Or was it abomasnow?

HPD
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by HPD » Mon Sep 21, 2015 7:35 am

heheheh, the explanations seem so characteristic of the people proposing them

xen: someone threw it
hawkes: super large hailstone
narts: meteor from space
hpd: fell from an airplane
deoxy: casted blizzard
dragonite: it was abomasnow
"So when I say the fudge shaman flies he goddamn well flies and that's that." - Narts
"My motto is that there are far too many women in the world to waste time with men." - thefalman
"It's just that I'm not really aware of how a common conversation goes." - Imano Ob, talking on MSN about talking on MSN
"As for FE8, that was IS' variant of Man Spam - Dudes with Swords edition." - Xenesis

scraggypunk

Post by scraggypunk » Mon Sep 21, 2015 2:10 pm

am i known for blizzard casting?
wisdom
"the law, in its majestic equality, forbids the rich as well as the poor to sleep under bridges, to beg in the streets, and to steal bread" - anatole france

Narts

Post by Narts » Mon Sep 21, 2015 3:04 pm

So it's typical of me to suggest things are from outer space just because I happen to be from outer space.

That's a racist thing to say HPD.

Terragent

Post by Terragent » Mon Sep 21, 2015 3:25 pm

Darn spacies.

kiwi

Post by kiwi » Tue Sep 22, 2015 8:22 am

CONTEXT: I was jogging and a hunk o' ice fell next to me on some grass! it must've been high up because there was a loud THUD and it made a dent in the ground! I should've taken a picture but I booked it outta there instead in case more were coming! it was shaped like a rectangular block and had been frosting over on something!

QUANDARY: I live in a desert! there aren't any buildings high enough but there are lots of planes so I guess that could be it???

XEN: do you have a morphing avatar!? how does it work?

hawkesnightmare

Post by hawkesnightmare » Tue Sep 22, 2015 9:45 am

Yeah my best bet would be that a plane flew overhead and ice that was either there previously or had formed mid-flight broke off and by sheer chance landed near you.
daisy: If the UK is worse than the present #5 in the world in terms of GDP come July 1st 2018 I will dye my hair pink.

Bonesy
3DS Code: 0318 8318 0000

Post by Bonesy » Tue Sep 22, 2015 11:27 am

it was dogs

kiwi

Post by kiwi » Wed Sep 23, 2015 11:59 am

I was also chased by dogs a few days before!

anyway I am UNILATERALLY declaring this topic to be a place of general SCIENTIFIC INQUIRY!

does anyone know any homemade fly traps? I tried sugar water but they didn't fall for it!

scraggypunk

Post by scraggypunk » Wed Sep 23, 2015 1:38 pm

no need to be barbaric, kiwi.

take a resealable plastic baggie. put ~3 coins in it. fill it with water. hang it from a window you want to keep open

BAM
no bugs go near your window during the day
wisdom

kiwi

Post by kiwi » Thu Sep 24, 2015 7:24 am

the flies are in the building already though! they consume all that they touch!

scraggypunk

Post by scraggypunk » Thu Sep 24, 2015 1:53 pm

then wait a day. they will all perish
wisdom

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO
3DS Code: 2535-4646-7163

Post by Xenesis » Thu Sep 24, 2015 10:37 pm

kiwi wrote:XEN: do you have a morphing avatar!? how does it work?
I do not, I've just been changing my avatar regularly.

That being said, I did at one point - it was a CGI script that basically just randomly picked an image from a folder whenever it was accessed.
IST wrote:Even the worst individual needs to discover the joys of a chicken statue that is also a pregnant blonde housewife.

Alecat

Post by Alecat » Fri Sep 25, 2015 10:15 am

kiwi wrote:I was also chased by dogs a few days before!

anyway I am UNILATERALLY declaring this topic to be a place of general SCIENTIFIC INQUIRY!

does anyone know any homemade fly traps? I tried sugar water but they didn't fall for it!
I put vinegar + water in a 2L coke bottle. Cut off the top of the bottle and flip it over, so there's a funnel shape for the flies to get into. The idiots will fly in, then get confused when they can't walk back up the sides.

(The adage, "you catch more flies with honey than vinegar" is actually false. Use the vinegar.)

kiwi

Post by kiwi » Sun Oct 18, 2015 11:30 am

I finally got around to doing this! it was like a SCIENCE project! also it worked pretty well! my not racist neighbor saw me release the flies outside and suggested using apple vinegar!

MysteriousLad

Post by MysteriousLad » Mon Oct 19, 2015 3:12 am

Results?
"i put on my robe and wizard hat" ~Pkdragon
"rocks fall everyone dies" ~HPD
Welcome to the optimistic world of WWN :D

And logic doesn't work on MysteriousLad... ~Kireato
Wait, wait, wait.

Organized crime is selling bagels on television? Since when? ~Dragon Fogel

Linkman
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Linkman » Mon Oct 19, 2015 10:05 am

Who is the other racist neighbour? A sociological experiment is next!

(also pics! please!)
"everytime I try to draw xen I end up drawing a kangaroo smoking a cigar while chainsawing a tree" - Deoxy
"I can't believe I'm the only person who voted Stallone. His appeal lies in watching is movies again and again just to hear what the hell he's talking about." - Kilteh

Alecat

Post by Alecat » Mon Oct 19, 2015 10:10 am

kiwi wrote:I finally got around to doing this! it was like a SCIENCE project! also it worked pretty well! my not racist neighbor saw me release the flies outside and suggested using apple vinegar!
SUCCESS! Glad you worked it out without picture aids. Apple vinegar does sound like it'd do the trick nicely. Hopefully you've ejected enough of them that they won't return any time soon.

kiwi

Post by kiwi » Mon Oct 19, 2015 2:42 pm

yeah! but to be honest I procrastinated super hard so there weren't that many flies by the time I did it!

I don't have pics because REASONS but here is one close to it!

about my racist neighbor! we just avoid him and he avoids the rest of us! it's only when he's drunk that he hurls insults!

kiwi

Post by kiwi » Fri Oct 23, 2015 3:24 pm

UGH now I need an ANT TRAP!

Alecat

Post by Alecat » Fri Oct 23, 2015 4:09 pm

Tell me if you find a good one!

But I think you can buy them from the supermarket or hardware stores or something.

kiwi

Post by kiwi » Sat Oct 24, 2015 11:09 am

nooooo think of the animals!

not the ants because screw those guys, I mean my buns!

kiwi

Post by kiwi » Sat Oct 24, 2015 11:11 am

ALSO what do you guys do when your computer crashes and gets slow and you think it's a virus?

HPD
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by HPD » Sat Oct 24, 2015 11:31 am

it's fudge

scraggypunk

Post by scraggypunk » Sat Oct 24, 2015 12:52 pm

i use my computers until they literally do not work anymore

like, i am currently using the on screen keyboard to type cause the keyboard stopped working. so my answer is: frown a bit
wisdom

Narts

Post by Narts » Sat Oct 24, 2015 11:20 pm

Reinstall Windows, but that's only because I'm hardcore into PC gaming. For those who are not insane, installing Linux would be the correct recourse. Even for me the decision is getting more difficult every year. Have you seen the selection on Steam Linux? If it weren't for a few big releases from the giant publishing houses that don't have the resources that indies do for porting their games to different platforms I would have said my permanent goodbyes to Microsoft already.

DieselPheonix

Post by DieselPheonix » Sun Oct 25, 2015 3:46 am

kiwi might need a dummy's guide to Linux.

Narts

Post by Narts » Sun Oct 25, 2015 5:30 am

Linux isn't much harder to install and use than Windows these days. Esp. if you use some beginner-friendly distro like Ubuntu or Mint.

Hell why are you even relying on us for computer advice anyway. Any question or problem you have you can just google the answer for these days.

kiwi

Post by kiwi » Sun Oct 25, 2015 8:40 am

you cannot comprehend the true form of my technological INCOMPETENCE!

so my compy crashed and is basically half as fast as it was before! system event notifications is down whatever that is! and noscript stopped working! I fixed that last thing but I have no idea about the others! I tried different system restore points but that wouldn't work either because they always failed to complete!

I guess now would be a good time as any to upgrade to windows 10!

scraggypunk

Post by scraggypunk » Sun Oct 25, 2015 11:18 am

i dunno "frown a bit" has a lot of advantages imo
wisdom

Narts

Post by Narts » Sun Oct 25, 2015 11:20 pm

Of course there are always Apple products for those who are truly incompetent

kiwi

Post by kiwi » Mon Oct 26, 2015 11:24 am

I scanned using PIRATES!, MSG, and Mawile Bites and they found no virus! still slow and missing that thing though!

I can't get a mac because I'm too uncool and not trendy and also broke!