Resolutions 2016

WWN's Social Lounge. The place to come and chill out for a relaxed conversation about life and stuff, or some more serious debates.
Linkman
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Resolutions 2016

Post by Linkman » Tue Jan 05, 2016 3:46 am

Did you come up with any this year?

I am trying to learn how to dance. I aim to hopefully have some mastery of it by the end of this year.

I also resolved to speak French fluently rather than just mumbling my way through it. This might prove more difficult than I thought.
"everytime I try to draw xen I end up drawing a kangaroo smoking a cigar while chainsawing a tree" - Deoxy
"I can't believe I'm the only person who voted Stallone. His appeal lies in watching is movies again and again just to hear what the hell he's talking about." - Kilteh

Bonesy
3DS Code: 0318 8318 0000

Re: Resolutions 2016

Post by Bonesy » Tue Jan 05, 2016 5:51 am

making resolutions is for babby

Kanzer

Post by Kanzer » Tue Jan 05, 2016 9:03 am

Come around more often, and not just to lurk silently.

Still care for you guys. I do.
if you burn down all of spain in your quest for thrills, that doesn't mean you get to move to a new country. it means you have to clean up afterward - Deoxy
I won the Pointless Adventure of Nopor Puss - winning command: FALCOWN PAUNCH the Pac-Man.

Dragonite

Post by Dragonite » Tue Jan 05, 2016 10:37 am

Hey Kanzer. We missed you.

Uh, since I'm posting now anyway. I tend to have a more self-reflective approach to new years resolutions. I want to get better thinking habits, get a stronger person because of it, etc. Got my life back on a good track, but I still don't feel well far to often.

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO
3DS Code: 2535-4646-7163

Post by Xenesis » Tue Jan 05, 2016 10:51 am

My goals are basically to finish an Advance Wars hack and not do anything as stupid as starting something like a PhD again :P
IST wrote:Even the worst individual needs to discover the joys of a chicken statue that is also a pregnant blonde housewife.

Pkdragon

Post by Pkdragon » Tue Jan 05, 2016 11:25 am

Kanzer wrote:Come around more often, and not just to lurk silently.

Still care for you guys. I do.
ill hold you to that

my resolution is

uhhh

wait a bit need to get more drunk
HPD wrote:You know the only thing on the agenda of the Squirtle Squad is pure, unadulterated chaos.

That, and watching Euros squirm.

daisy

Post by daisy » Tue Jan 05, 2016 11:31 am

Get a better work ethic and explore the idea of giving up smoking for reals this time.

("explore the idea" lol)

Treedweller

Post by Treedweller » Tue Jan 05, 2016 12:58 pm

I have a few.

1. Get good enough at cooking that I'm able to intuitively understand strong flavor combinations and how to transform gross raw food into correctly cooked things. Basically, improve my improvisation success rate. It's getting pretty fine, but I need to read some cooking (not cook) books and try a few new recipes once in a blue moon.

2. Unlock that six pack! I've been 'close' for a long time, but now I'm closer than ever. Plus, knowing that Treed has a six pack will make Treed x PK fanfictions that much spicier.

3. My ability to focus has declined. I want to build myself up to being able to focus on work for at least 30 minutes at a time (as sad as it sounds, that's tough for me). That length of time allows me to accomplish something without being overwhelmed by the need to finish what I'm doing. And it allows me to easily pick up where I left off or focus on something else for another 30 minutes (after a short break). I guess I'll try to pomodoro method and see how that pans out.

4. Maybe think about my direction in life??? Like, I'm happy where I am right now (career-wise, friends-wise, finance-wise), but I won't be satisfied with this when I turn 30. Which, believe it or not based on my infantile WWN personality, will happen in just a few short years! Yikes. Like all of you I'd imagine, this guy's still a work in progress. That's vague, I know, but I plan to take the next two to three months to reflect more seriously on how I'm gonna spend the rest of my 20s.

Treedweller

Post by Treedweller » Tue Jan 05, 2016 1:00 pm

Also hey Mr. Kanz! I totes missed you.

scraggypunk

Post by scraggypunk » Tue Jan 05, 2016 3:14 pm

control my inner demons in a healthy way
wisdom
"the law, in its majestic equality, forbids the rich as well as the poor to sleep under bridges, to beg in the streets, and to steal bread" - anatole france

Pkdragon

Post by Pkdragon » Tue Jan 05, 2016 4:45 pm

ok so i have a 2-part plan for getting in shape

right now i'm in better shape than i've been due to working in retail all winter, but i'm going to lose it if i'm not careful (sadly i was only hired seasonal, so my time is almost up), so part 1 is to go to the rec center and walk around the track a couple times a week. my goal here isn't to build anything it's merely to more or less retain the stamina i have built up from working retail

part two happens as soon as spring comes out, i'm planning on taking up hiking as a hobby, because quite frankly i do enjoy taking walks it's just never been anything i can do super well because of my complete lack of stamina, if i walked too much i'd hurt myself. so i intend to

also need to jump start myself, jumping from this current retail job to a real job that has benefits and pays at least a little better, because i've finally had a job that either A) wasn't super easy or B) wasn't super hard, in other words it was something i was able to be competent at, really good resume material (i can finally put "customer service experience" on my resume"), and i want to use that forward momentum to finally start my long-delayed life.

this is going to either be a very good year or a very awful year, and it really all depends on how well i stick to those two major goals. But i'm in a better place than i've been in a long time (therapy did wonders for my state of mind lol)
HPD wrote:You know the only thing on the agenda of the Squirtle Squad is pure, unadulterated chaos.

Sven

Post by Sven » Wed Jan 06, 2016 1:42 am

i find posting plans makes me really crumpets at following through with them. so i'm not really gonna do that here. if i end up doing things i'll probably post them in their own topics once i've already started.

what i do wanna do is take a bit to go through my 2015. and i'm gonna be pretty honest. i didn't have such a hot year.

i realized this year that there was basically no way i was going to be able to do an academic job with my current path, or at least not one in pure math. whether or not others are smarter than me, i have no idea, or even if it matters at all. there's nothing i can really do to change it either way. i did let this bring me down a bit, but i've mostly gotten past it.

what i do know is that they're willing to work harder than i am. a lot harder, actually. the program forces schedules that quite frankly, make me unable to properly manage and avoid burnout because it's a problem i've never really wanted to address. other people seemed to have their own methods for coping with 60+ hour weeks over 3-4 months. why couldn't i find one? i would almost always burnout 2 months in, take a week off, feel bad about taking a week off which would make me take more time off, then end up spending the last month frantically spending 80+ hours a week trying to scrape by. crumpets was gross.

and honestly, i had no idea where the fudge to go from there. it was May or so when i decided to give up on school for a while. frankly, something needed to fudge change within me if i was still having problems after 5+ years. unfortunately just letting myself drift around waiting for grand motivation to strike me didn't actually work out. i don't think that's too much of a surprise to anyone. i gradually became less and less active over the summer months.

for me personally depression doesn't really manifest itself as 'sadness' or 'feeling down on myself' or 'suicidal thoughts'. it's more a complete and utter lack of ability to concentrate or focus on anything. it leaves me sleeping poorly, unable to exercise, and just a general dysfunctional mess of a human being. starting in october i would literally just wake up, try to read a book, get through two pages, then put it down for the day and go to do something else. changing two words on my resume was some herculean task that would sap my energy for the day. making a decision on almost anything could sap my energy for the day.

it was starting to stress me the fudge out. how the fudge was i gonna reverse the situation i was in if i couldn't even make basic decisions? it's not like i was mentally avoiding the tasks like i was before. i was attempting them and finding myself literally unable to do them from lack of energy/concentration.

around november i was getting chest pain. i was pretty sure it was just anxiety, but that was really the last straw for me. frankly, my family is riddled with mental illnesses of every kind imaginable, and yet the ones that do have it seem to stigmatize all the others as though if theirs is the only legitimate one. it's a lack of education all around really. anyway, for that (maybe not so good) reason, i didn't really want to add myself to the loony list.

i checked into the doc to get the heart thing checked out. dude told me he couldn't find anything and that i had high blood pressure. i'll take it. dude strongly implied it was all in my head, but to come back if it ever happened again.

the heart thing went away on its own almost immediately, and i ended up getting the ability to read again. still not really in a perfect place concentration wise but whatever. i'm functional which is all i really care about. i have some savings and no debt. i offered rent to my folks and they shot me down, but i cook for them now as some weird sort of thanks for being fairly understanding anyway. i talked to a lot of friends and family over christmas break and realized i actually have quite a few options despite how mentally gutted i was from losing whatever i was chasing before.

i recognize i still have a bunch of personal minefields to sort through. i probably don't have realistic expectations for the quality of work i should be putting out. getting help, whether psychological or otherwise still makes me feel like i'm admitting that something's fundamentally wrong with me for needing it. i definitely don't deal with failure properly. but hey, this stuff can be worked on and changed if i focus on it.

to 2016

-sven

HPD
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by HPD » Wed Jan 06, 2016 2:36 am

this topic is more depressing than the depressing topic
"So when I say the fudge shaman flies he goddamn well flies and that's that." - Narts
"My motto is that there are far too many women in the world to waste time with men." - thefalman
"It's just that I'm not really aware of how a common conversation goes." - Imano Ob, talking on MSN about talking on MSN
"As for FE8, that was IS' variant of Man Spam - Dudes with Swords edition." - Xenesis

scraggypunk

Post by scraggypunk » Wed Jan 06, 2016 2:41 am

sven what you described is 100% depression, full stop. get yourself some therapy
wisdom
"the law, in its majestic equality, forbids the rich as well as the poor to sleep under bridges, to beg in the streets, and to steal bread" - anatole france

scraggypunk

Post by scraggypunk » Sat May 27, 2017 4:19 pm

that's a hell of a thing to say
wisdom

Dragonite

Post by Dragonite » Sun May 28, 2017 12:17 am

This is his only post. I was rather confused when I saw it at first.

Narts

Post by Narts » Sun May 28, 2017 2:02 am

Anything less than 4K and you might as well jump off a bridge

Dragonite

Post by Dragonite » Sun May 28, 2017 5:07 am

Narts wrote:
Sun May 28, 2017 2:02 am
Anything less than 4K and you might as well jump off a bridge

USER STATISTICS
Joined:06 Jul 2008, 16:23Last active:Today, 18:32Total posts:2508 | Search user’s posts
(0.96% of all posts / 0.77 posts per day)

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Xenesis » Sun May 28, 2017 7:16 am

Whoops, missed that one.

Resolution for 2016 - delete bots faster.
IST wrote:Even the worst individual needs to discover the joys of a chicken statue that is also a pregnant blonde housewife.

Pkdragon

Post by Pkdragon » Sun May 28, 2017 8:28 am

i don't blame you for deleting it given it's a spambot, but wow this comment chain is a lot less amazing without "life just ain't worth living"-bot

Dragonite

Post by Dragonite » Sun May 28, 2017 8:51 pm

What a profound bot.

MysteriousLad

Post by MysteriousLad » Thu Jun 01, 2017 5:17 am

Brilliant
"i put on my robe and wizard hat" ~Pkdragon
"rocks fall everyone dies" ~HPD
Welcome to the optimistic world of WWN :D

And logic doesn't work on MysteriousLad... ~Kireato
Wait, wait, wait.

Organized crime is selling bagels on television? Since when? ~Dragon Fogel

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Xenesis » Fri Jun 02, 2017 4:01 pm

Pkdragon wrote:
Sun May 28, 2017 8:28 am
i don't blame you for deleting it given it's a spambot, but wow this comment chain is a lot less amazing without "life just ain't worth living"-bot
I considered just changing the post ownership and removing the links, but that was more effort than usual for a spambot.