How about them gravitational waves

WWN's Social Lounge. The place to come and chill out for a relaxed conversation about life and stuff, or some more serious debates.
Linkman
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

How about them gravitational waves

Post by Linkman » Fri Feb 12, 2016 12:15 pm

"everytime I try to draw xen I end up drawing a kangaroo smoking a cigar while chainsawing a tree" - Deoxy
"I can't believe I'm the only person who voted Stallone. His appeal lies in watching is movies again and again just to hear what the hell he's talking about." - Kilteh

HPD
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Re: How about them gravitational waves

Post by HPD » Fri Feb 12, 2016 4:41 pm

This is awesome

Nobel prize material
"So when I say the fudge shaman flies he goddamn well flies and that's that." - Narts
"My motto is that there are far too many women in the world to waste time with men." - thefalman
"It's just that I'm not really aware of how a common conversation goes." - Imano Ob, talking on MSN about talking on MSN
"As for FE8, that was IS' variant of Man Spam - Dudes with Swords edition." - Xenesis

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO
3DS Code: 2535-4646-7163

Post by Xenesis » Sat Feb 13, 2016 9:32 am

Man, the fact that it takes a century to prove some of these things (and that it actually is proven!) is incredible.
IST wrote:Even the worst individual needs to discover the joys of a chicken statue that is also a pregnant blonde housewife.

scraggypunk

Post by scraggypunk » Sat Feb 13, 2016 3:24 pm

sorry guys my bad i sneezed on the mirrors. it was me
wisdom
"the law, in its majestic equality, forbids the rich as well as the poor to sleep under bridges, to beg in the streets, and to steal bread" - anatole france

Kanzer

Post by Kanzer » Sat Feb 13, 2016 11:59 pm

Too late, already won three Nobels out of it.
if you burn down all of spain in your quest for thrills, that doesn't mean you get to move to a new country. it means you have to clean up afterward - Deoxy
I won the Pointless Adventure of Nopor Puss - winning command: FALCOWN PAUNCH the Pac-Man.

Sniffit II

Post by Sniffit II » Sat Apr 16, 2016 8:42 pm

I know i'm late to the party, but it was bloody cool.
i don't know what a bishop ninja is but if it can still move diagonal without being seen it's got my vote - Pkdragon

FEAR ME, FEAR THE FIRE THAT BURNS IN MY BALLS, VERIDIAN FOREST! - Dragonite

Vote Sniffit for Space Dictator.

daisy

Post by daisy » Sat Apr 16, 2016 11:24 pm

Thank you for your bump and valuable contribution to the discussion, Sniffit.

Dragonite

Post by Dragonite » Sat Apr 16, 2016 11:25 pm

He's got a uni degree on physics though, so he probably couldn't resists having another yay moment about it.

Sniffit II

Post by Sniffit II » Sun Apr 17, 2016 2:49 am

Well, there were three really cool things about it in particular:
1) Gravitational waves
2) Intermediate sized black holes - pretty much the first actual evidence of them, and so far there had been zero sign of them, despite loads of solar-mass magnitude holes, and loads of supermassive black holes - and no-one really knew why.
3) Chances are, they were the remnants of Population III stars - ie. the first stars in the universe. We've not seen them before.

As I said - it was bloody cool.

Also yay physics.

Edit: oh yeah, and before I forget, I seem to remember the detector used lasers, which rely on quantum mechanics to actually work, for which Einstein recieved his Nobel prize, the thing being discovered requires General Relativity to work, for which Einstein is most famous for. The two things require mutually exclusive assumptions to be made in order to mathematically work. Both of them have been shown to work, and are required for various modern gadgets to work (think GPS for relativity, and quantum for CD players, because lasers).

That, I must assert, is really cool.
i don't know what a bishop ninja is but if it can still move diagonal without being seen it's got my vote - Pkdragon

FEAR ME, FEAR THE FIRE THAT BURNS IN MY BALLS, VERIDIAN FOREST! - Dragonite

Vote Sniffit for Space Dictator.