Je suis Bruxelles

WWN's Social Lounge. The place to come and chill out for a relaxed conversation about life and stuff, or some more serious debates.
Linkman
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Je suis Bruxelles

Post by Linkman » Wed Mar 23, 2016 12:54 am

"everytime I try to draw xen I end up drawing a kangaroo smoking a cigar while chainsawing a tree" - Deoxy
"I can't believe I'm the only person who voted Stallone. His appeal lies in watching is movies again and again just to hear what the hell he's talking about." - Kilteh

MysteriousLad

Re: Je suis Bruxelles

Post by MysteriousLad » Wed Mar 23, 2016 1:35 am

Literally a fudge hours drive from my home.
"i put on my robe and wizard hat" ~Pkdragon
"rocks fall everyone dies" ~HPD
Welcome to the optimistic world of WWN :D

And logic doesn't work on MysteriousLad... ~Kireato
Wait, wait, wait.

Organized crime is selling bagels on television? Since when? ~Dragon Fogel

Kireato

Post by Kireato » Wed Mar 23, 2016 6:01 am

The content of that link irks me. Social media has been used during these attacks to relay information and that is useful, but this solidarity shown for Brussels via pictures and tweets is just waste. I guess at least it's not toxic waste like some politician's reactions?

There are very little dead and injured thankfully but this affects a lot of people because of the higher level of alert (everything is getting locked down) and the fact that the airport and public transport were targeted. I don't know how long it'll take to clean the wreck in Maelbeek metro station for instance. I hope they can just tow it away in a couple of days or something.
"Hey, it's the Kir. Wee." - Linkman 145
"I can't help myself sometimes... :cry:" -Help Topic Guest

Linkman
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Linkman » Wed Mar 23, 2016 6:09 am

I just picked the first English language link, tbh (I've been trying to follow actual Belgian news).

Glad to hear you are alright at least Kireato.
"everytime I try to draw xen I end up drawing a kangaroo smoking a cigar while chainsawing a tree" - Deoxy
"I can't believe I'm the only person who voted Stallone. His appeal lies in watching is movies again and again just to hear what the hell he's talking about." - Kilteh

HPD
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by HPD » Wed Mar 23, 2016 6:14 am

Yeah, glad to see you, at least, are safe.
"So when I say the fudge shaman flies he goddamn well flies and that's that." - Narts
"My motto is that there are far too many women in the world to waste time with men." - thefalman
"It's just that I'm not really aware of how a common conversation goes." - Imano Ob, talking on MSN about talking on MSN
"As for FE8, that was IS' variant of Man Spam - Dudes with Swords edition." - Xenesis

Kireato

Post by Kireato » Wed Mar 23, 2016 7:23 am

I take the metro every workday and and stop at Arts-Loi, which is one stop away from Maelbeek and in the same street. But honestly, aside from the fact that the mobile network was saturated and that there were many sirens to be heard, the only thing that reached me concerning the incident was news of it. I was already at work by then. My family is safe too. One of them was in the metro while the attack occurred, but she was in another station when the order to evacuate was given. I don't know anyone affected either.

Now we're just dealing with the aftermath: coworkers who have to take care of their kids because schools/preschools are closed, issues getting to work because of public transport restrictions, bag checks, etc. I'll have to check the STIB website tomorrow morning to see what's running. Since Maelbeek isn't a stop served by the metro line I take, I might even be able to go to work normally quite soon. Or I'll just walk. I'm okay with the one hour walk.

So yeah, thankfully, the terrorists aren't exactly detonating nuclear devices in our streets. If you're a few streets away from the attacks, aside from the news and sirens, you could very well not notice that anything is wrong.
"Hey, it's the Kir. Wee." - Linkman 145
"I can't help myself sometimes... :cry:" -Help Topic Guest

Dragonite

Post by Dragonite » Wed Mar 23, 2016 7:44 am

Having another terrorist attack in europe so soon irks me. This probably will not be the end of it.. several countries in Europe are still marked for attacks with IS attempting propaganda to mask their difficult position. Brussels is close, very close. It's a little pragmatic, but I'm glad I don't live in the capital or visit other capital cities often, as they tend to go for the big targets.

It's also really scary that a subway bomb was able to go off a hour after the airport bombings. Once a attack gets the green light, it's difficult to keep the second phase from happening, even on a high alert. It's a bold time delay. Maybe they are trying to get their target cities on lockdown as soon as a first attack hits.

I also had no idea you were from Belgium Kir.
Last edited by Dragonite on Wed Mar 23, 2016 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

scraggypunk

Post by scraggypunk » Wed Mar 23, 2016 8:50 am

hmm
wisdom
"the law, in its majestic equality, forbids the rich as well as the poor to sleep under bridges, to beg in the streets, and to steal bread" - anatole france

daisy

Post by daisy » Fri Mar 25, 2016 9:29 am

Just for future reference, it's a very bad idea to link to a red-top tabloid when it comes to real news.

Linkman
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Linkman » Wed Jun 29, 2016 1:26 pm

Turkey now =/

Dragonite

Post by Dragonite » Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:15 pm

Yeah, news said it fits the IS pattern. They had a lot of kuridish(?)bombings in the months prior though.

Linkman
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Linkman » Thu Jul 21, 2016 7:19 am

So--now Nice, and crumpets hit the fan in Turkey. :/

If Trump gets elected then we're in the crumpets.

daisy

Post by daisy » Fri Jul 22, 2016 3:47 am

Tbf in Turkey Erdogan has been freaking terrible and represents the opposite of the direction it should be going as a country. If it wants EU membership he needs to go. Did you see the palace he built for himself?

Narts

Post by Narts » Fri Jul 22, 2016 4:45 am

You don't get to say who gets to be in EU and who doesn't anymore bog

daisy

Post by daisy » Fri Jul 22, 2016 5:15 am

Okay so countries that aren't in the EU (or are leaving the EU but haven't even started the process yet) aren't allowed an opinion?

You can all stfu then bar the Dutchies. It's not like anyone has a genuine say in how the EU is run anyway.

Dragonite

Post by Dragonite » Fri Jul 22, 2016 6:46 am

What gives us Dutchies more merit? >_>

The thing with Erdogan he's really damn popular with the Turkish people, and it made the coup attempt fail as easy as it did. Although I'm not sure if I should put stock in the theory it's a false flag operation. Even when he's hollowing out democracy, and the more secular side of the country opposes him, he won't go unless he managed to fall out of favor. And this even extends to a majority of the Dutch people who also have Turkish nationality. I wonder how the next generation will deal with this. The army is historically supposed to safeguard the country from exactly this, and it's the reason why they like their coups so much. But technology has progressed to much for a brute coup to easily overturn goverment, if a Islamic leader has popular support, people can use the internet to be rallied by him like Erdogan did, or perhaps do it themselves. A secular army keeping a state in line is a paradox that can't last forever. Either Turkey will become more secular and democratic or it's own in the next few year, or Ataturks vision on Turkey will fade away.

Pkdragon

Post by Pkdragon » Fri Jul 22, 2016 7:15 am

daisy wrote:Okay so countries that aren't in the EU (or are leaving the EU but haven't even started the process yet) aren't allowed an opinion?

You can all stfu then bar the Dutchies. It's not like anyone has a genuine say in how the EU is run anyway.
dont take d.va seriously the nachos have hollowed out her soul
HPD wrote:You know the only thing on the agenda of the Squirtle Squad is pure, unadulterated chaos.

That, and watching Euros squirm.

daisy

Post by daisy » Fri Jul 22, 2016 8:18 am

Dragonite wrote:What gives us Dutchies more merit? >_>
The Netherlands is in the EU and probably will stay in the EU for the foreseeable future. Therefore, according to the ridiculous standards of Narts, you are able to talk about EU politics freely.
The thing with Erdogan he's really damn popular with the Turkish people
False. Slightly out of date but it's the most recent I can find. A rating of 39% isn't anything to write home about.

The coup may have given him a boost, but he almost certainly wasn't anywhere near the 50% mark beforehand.

Dragonite

Post by Dragonite » Fri Jul 22, 2016 8:35 am

That surprises me. Didn't he do well in a election recently?

Narts

Post by Narts » Fri Jul 22, 2016 8:42 am

I have no idea how it is even possible for such a simple joke to fly over someone's head. This is astounding.

Look, first you voted to leave the EU. And then --- blaarrrgghhh I'm wasting my time

Idiot.

Terragent

Post by Terragent » Fri Jul 22, 2016 10:20 am

It's been a while since I've seen your mask slip.

Anyway the coup was almost certainly genuine and would probably have made things worse if it had succeeded, but Erdogan is going to milk it for all its worth and he's been doing his damndest to turn the country into his private fief for the last decade. So, uh, it's really not a good time to be in Turkey, I'd say. :(

daisy

Post by daisy » Fri Jul 22, 2016 7:36 pm

Narts wrote:Look, first you voted to leave the EU. And then --- blaarrrgghhh I'm wasting my time
Sorry you're not a member of the EU and therefore cannot comment on it. Your own rules. Quiet now, grown ups talking.
Dragonite wrote:That surprises me. Didn't he do well in a election recently?
Yes. He then proceeded with the most regressive policies ever.
Terragent wrote:It's been a while since I've seen your mask slip.
Who? Me? I get that crumpets enough irl without Mr Hilarious over there. His trolling / cries for help is old. If someone could direct him towards the angst topic that'd be great.

Dragonite

Post by Dragonite » Fri Jul 22, 2016 7:47 pm

daisy wrote:
Dragonite wrote:That surprises me. Didn't he do well in a election recently?
Yes. He then proceeded with the most regressive policies ever.
That article date from late october, while the second election in November turned out better from him the June one went, because he fanned the flames with the Kurds.
Or did his overall share of votes without the election threshold drop between elections?

daisy

Post by daisy » Fri Jul 22, 2016 7:51 pm

Dragonite wrote:That article date from late october, while the second election in November turned out better from him the June one went, because he fanned the flames with the Kurds.
Or did his overall share of votes without the election threshold drop between elections?
Elections results don't always reflect popularity. I don't know enough about Turkish politics to comment properly, but I'm sure you've voted for a candidate as the least awful option before, with gritted teeth.

Narts

Post by Narts » Sat Jul 23, 2016 1:14 am

I only post in the angst topic to ruin it with happy posts.

HPD
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by HPD » Sat Jul 23, 2016 3:12 am

daisy wrote: Sorry you're not a member of the EU and therefore cannot comment on it. Your own rules. Quiet now, grown ups talking.
Narts is from Finland and last time I checked it was more a part of the EU than the UK is. Stop being an asshole.
"So when I say the fudge shaman flies he goddamn well flies and that's that." - Narts
"My motto is that there are far too many women in the world to waste time with men." - thefalman
"It's just that I'm not really aware of how a common conversation goes." - Imano Ob, talking on MSN about talking on MSN
"As for FE8, that was IS' variant of Man Spam - Dudes with Swords edition." - Xenesis

Narts

Post by Narts » Sat Jul 23, 2016 3:42 am

Yeah!

Habloo hoo!

My feelings are hurt!

Dragonite

Post by Dragonite » Sat Jul 23, 2016 5:05 am

*sigh*
I've been noticing Bog sharing things that indicate the pound's position isn't as bad as was feared by a long shot, but dutch news is reporting economy activity has been taking a hit. A lot of confusion all around it seems. I assume you have a opinion about biased sources?

Also, Munich. It never ends lately..

scraggypunk

Post by scraggypunk » Sat Jul 23, 2016 11:38 am

(psst. all of finance is fake nonsense)
wisdom
"the law, in its majestic equality, forbids the rich as well as the poor to sleep under bridges, to beg in the streets, and to steal bread" - anatole france

daisy

Post by daisy » Sun Jul 24, 2016 2:21 am

HPD wrote:
daisy wrote: Sorry you're not a member of the EU and therefore cannot comment on it. Your own rules. Quiet now, grown ups talking.
Narts is from Finland and last time I checked it was more a part of the EU than the UK is. Stop being an asshole.
Yeah let's all get the big bad Brexiter and listen to everything we hear on the news without question. fudge tool.

I thought he was Canadian. Stop defending the biggest and proudest troll has. And if the admins are allowed to flame then I'll take that: go die you hypocritical prick.

Do your worst. Let's see if you same standards you apply to Mr Mommy Problems also apply to me. Dickhead.

HPD
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by HPD » Sun Jul 24, 2016 2:54 am

Clearly this is the point where this topic ends.

Linkman
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Linkman » Mon Jul 25, 2016 5:29 am

Been a while.