How to deal with unpleasant people: an honest question

WWN's Social Lounge. The place to come and chill out for a relaxed conversation about life and stuff, or some more serious debates.
Linkman
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

How to deal with unpleasant people: an honest question

Post by Linkman » Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:36 am

Hello WWN!

Have you ran into unpleasant people? Of course you have. Everybody has.You know who I mean. The asshole classmate. The crumpets teacher. That despicable cousin who always broke your crumpets when he was over.

As I got older and adulter and started doing adulty things I realized I didn't have to interact with these people anymore. College was actually really fun when I think about it, because when I ran into assholes I could simply not hang around them.

Flash forward to 2017: things are no longer awesome because I have crumpets coworkers and a crumpets boss, and I can't not hang around them for 9 hours a day.

I don't want to go into detail mostly because it's not about the details. Every place I've worked in had its share of assholes with different assholish traits. No, the real question is: how do you cope? How do you manage these people? How do you keep the assholes out of your way so you can work in peace?

Share your experience/tips WWN before I dive into self-help books
"everytime I try to draw xen I end up drawing a kangaroo smoking a cigar while chainsawing a tree" - Deoxy
"I can't believe I'm the only person who voted Stallone. His appeal lies in watching is movies again and again just to hear what the hell he's talking about." - Kilteh

Narts

Re: How to deal with unpleasant people: an honest question

Post by Narts » Tue Apr 11, 2017 4:17 pm

The last time I didn't have a real choice in who I spent my time with was when I had to share a living space 24/7 for six months with a whole bunch of unpleasant people back in the army. And I think the most valuable thing I got from that "experience" was that it taught me a lot about how to cope with assholes. Unfortunately, there really isn't any magic trick to it other than growing a thick skin. Just don't let every little thing get into you. You will not change any of these people. Just maintain a professional attitude and do your job. Quit at the earliest opportunity. I don't know how realistic that is to you right now but really at this point you should consider just quitting and finding a better job.

Pkdragon

Post by Pkdragon » Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:31 pm

i mostly just avoid people
HPD wrote:You know the only thing on the agenda of the Squirtle Squad is pure, unadulterated chaos.

That, and watching Euros squirm.

scraggypunk

Post by scraggypunk » Wed Apr 12, 2017 12:28 pm

my inability to do this is probably like 40% of the reason i'm crazy

so
keepin a good eye on this here topic
wisdom
"the law, in its majestic equality, forbids the rich as well as the poor to sleep under bridges, to beg in the streets, and to steal bread" - anatole france

Sven

Post by Sven » Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:04 pm

isn't the answer just that there's nothing you can really do other than adopting a professional mask for coworkers and just praying your boss doesn't make things too crumpets for you.

narts really captures it.

ThunderWalker

Post by ThunderWalker » Thu Apr 27, 2017 2:38 pm

Pkdragon wrote:i mostly just avoid people
Sounds familiar.
My sig is a void.