Post thy desktop. (EFFIN' OBVIOUS 56k WARNING!)

WWN's Social Lounge. The place to come and chill out for a relaxed conversation about life and stuff, or some more serious debates.
Laureola

Post by Laureola » Sat May 19, 2007 3:04 pm

Laureola wrote: You play from B.C 300 to A.D ~100 and you can play as almost any country you could think of in teh Eurasia/North Africa/Asia Minor area.
fudge you dumbass.

Now that I have some free time, my wallpaper is going to change quite often.

Do you have the 32 or 64 bit version Chewy?
Nembras: I was thinking in German. Of course it means something in English. Still, very wrong.
thefalman: Well, I suppose it could be a Nazi deer?
Nembras & thefalman on a "ReichStag"

ChewyLSB

Post by ChewyLSB » Sun May 20, 2007 2:42 am

32 bit - I got it for free from college. I'm building a new PC, though, and I"m probably gonna git the 64 bit version for that.
Image Image
Image Image
XBL/PSN: ChewyLSB
Wii: 5509-1512-4224-3993

Bog
Meteor Striked
Meteor Striked

Post by Bog » Sun May 20, 2007 3:31 am

Oh, by the way, I have a question about the 32/64 bit versions of Vista. I have a version of Vista Ultimate, but it's 32-bit only. Will it work properly on 64-bit machines or will it have major slowdown?

32-bit XP works fine on my friend's 64-bit computer, but I dunno if it's the same with Vista.

Laureola

Post by Laureola » Sun May 20, 2007 6:56 am

More then 4 gigs of RAM will be worthless on a 32 bit system and you don't get to use the CPU fully with the 32-bit versions.
Nembras: I was thinking in German. Of course it means something in English. Still, very wrong.

Bog
Meteor Striked
Meteor Striked

Post by Bog » Sun May 20, 2007 7:35 am

Ya, but if, for example, my setup was the following:

AMD X2 6000+
2gb RAM
GeForce 7600GT
160gb hd + 80gb hd

Would 32-bit Vista run as sweet as a nut?

Laureola

Post by Laureola » Sun May 20, 2007 8:30 am

That'd be fine. AMD X2 5200-5400 would be a lot more cost effective, and then you could get a 8800GTX with a little saving.

Bog
Meteor Striked
Meteor Striked

Post by Bog » Sun May 20, 2007 6:10 pm

Hmm, yeah. The thing is, my computer is really needing an upgrade, and I don't have the money to upgrade it every year. Thus, I want it to be pretty high up spec-wise so that it doesn't become obsolete so quickly. My current computer would probably sell on eBay for £80 w/o monitor + speakers + keyboard/mouse, so that'll buy me a motherboard.

Basically, I have about £400 to upgrade. Some parts I already have:

DVD-RW
Case
Monitor
Speakers (Inc sub)
Sound Card (It's an ancient Soundblaster Live! but I think it still sounds excellent. I really can't spot the difference in sound with a modern sound card. There's no way I'm using onboard.)
Keyboard + mouse

Laureola

Post by Laureola » Mon May 21, 2007 1:41 am

CORSAIR XMS2 1GB 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 x2 = ~66 GPD

EVGA 768-P2-N831-AR GeForce 8800GTX 768MB x1 = ~275 GDP

AMD Athlon 64 X2 5600+ Windsor 2.8GHz Socket AM2 x1 = ~90 GDP

Thermaltake W0106RU 700W = ~90 GDP

Then get your motherboard and what not. But there's the compter I'd want. You should wait until you can get the 8800GTX, even if you only get one stick of ram.

donnytondesterkste

Post by donnytondesterkste » Mon May 21, 2007 7:47 am

On most modern motherboards isn't it actually better to further split those 1GB sticks into 512MB sticks as you get double dual channel AND if one stick is dead you're not cutting your RAM in half? And it's also cheaper to get 2x 512 than 1x 1024.

And the Radeon HD >> GTX, ignoring all benchmarks, GTX doesn't have HD video support, and the Geforce 8600 does. The early adopters were seriously screwed there.

Unless you're playing Alan Wake (a new game which will run smoothly at high settings ONLY on a quad core machine) you hardly need the dual 2.8Ghz. A 5000+ is already more than enough for most games in the coming year, so you get even more savings there, which combined with RAM savings could go towards upgrading the video card.

Oh, and you WANT a high quality motherboard. Because if you buy a low quality motherboard and it doesn't work, you'll have to recheck all the compatibilities for RAM, CPU, and GPU. But if you get a high-end motherboard from the beginning you can rule out a lot of BIOS problems and you have a more direct upgrade path. Personally I recommend
http://www.newegg.com/product/product.a ... 6813130080
or
http://www.newegg.com/product/product.a ... 6813130082
"I'd sig that, but no room. >_>" -Blame Game

Laureola

Post by Laureola » Mon May 21, 2007 10:23 am

There's no point in getting a 5000, when a 5600 would be just a few pounds more. If anything, he should be getting a Core 2 Duo e6600.

As for getting 512 Ram sticks, what happens when he uses all four slots? He has two GBs of ram. Get 1/2GBs sticks and have 4/8 GBs before he has to start throwing RAM away. 512 sticks are a waste of money nowdays.

As for the AMD 2900HD vs teh NVD 8800GTX, 8800GTX wins. Bog doesn't have an HDMI 1.3 complient T.V, so that would be a large selling pint.

donnytondesterkste

Post by donnytondesterkste » Mon May 21, 2007 11:42 am

That single review seems rather fishy, as the Radeon 2900XTX is WAY below the GTX, when most sources have agreed that 1. on current gen games although the 8800GTX wins by barely a few frames, the 2900XTX has better image quality due to the new AA and stuff. and 2. there's barely been any really good testing for DX10 and next gen games, so 3. it's too early to spit the 2900 out already, before it's even hit the tongue.

But this is a desktop posting topic, and I intend to post my desktop later (which is an Alan Wake screenie)

konspakatak

Post by konspakatak » Mon May 21, 2007 11:48 am

I had nothing to do today, so I thought I'd lurk. but it turns out something i know about is here. So here we go.

Intel Core 2 Duo would be the way. Get yourself a decent mobo. And almost any Core 2 Duo will O/C to the performance of an e6600 off stock cooling.

ATI's chips are always preferable over NVidia. Although NVidia score higher in benchmarking, the ATI HD cards will have a much smoother colour quality than you will get out of any NVidia card. And unless NVidia does something drastic that will never change.

Get yourself some Dual Channel Ram. Avoid standard RAM sticks as a general rule, Dual Channel has a much faster read/write speed, and although not affecting the speed of your machine as much as say, the GPU or CPU, is an integral part of your system.

Even running a high end card at the moment you really shouldn't need anything above a 600w power supply. If you can afford it go 800w, but if you need to cut costs, a 600w is the way to go. If you wanted to go Dual Video Cards you'd have to have a quad-sli PSU, as the newest cards require two plugs PER CARD. Although, if you do go for ATI, the worth in eventually going to Crossfire is absolutely nothing. ATI's crossfire system doesn't work nearly as well as SLI.

So in my opinion, go Intel/ATI. You'll get the best bang for buck deal, and any decent mobo will get your e6300 up and above the e6600 performance on stock cooling.

Enjoy!

Laureola

Post by Laureola » Mon May 21, 2007 12:02 pm

Eh, everything at the moment is too new to be sure. The R600, if the tessellation and Shader-based AA aspects take off, the R600 is going to be awesome. I'm an AMD/ATI guy at heart, efficiency for the win.

800 watts for the next big in GFX card and Quad/Octet-Core. As long as the duel-channel isn't with 512 sticks. :(

But for my wallpaper.

Yes, I've been on a RTS marathon. Damned Allies just won't roll over and die themselfs.
Last edited by Laureola on Mon May 21, 2007 12:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.

donnytondesterkste

Post by donnytondesterkste » Mon May 21, 2007 12:06 pm

Actually, your overclocking statement is VERY untrue, as firstly, you'll need a pretty good mobo AND power supply and second, the Core 2 Duo stock coolers SUCK, and third, anything below the E6700? or the 6600 has a locked multiplier, which means you can only overclock it so much (as opposed to, say, Pentium 4s, where the only limiting factor was heat).

And yeah, ATI's cards may have slightly less performance, but the difference between 120FPS and 100FPS is STILL unnoticeable unless you've got a MEGALOW response monitor. But ATI's edge has always been that their image quality, tesselating, antialiasing, filtering, has been better than Nvidias. It's a very subtle part that most sites don't do (they just run FRAPS once and be done) but if you looked at the more detailed reviews like http://enthusiast.hardocp.com/article.h ... VzaWFzdA== ATI's frames are individually higher quality.

Oh, and if you want to upgrade your CPU, wait for the Barcelona/Penryn wars to begin (Intel/AMD's next gen processors) which will lead to seriously big price drops in the current processors, at which time you can compare prices better and choose then (which the choice will probably be a 64bit AMD).

Lastly, kon's got it right. My current computer is an Intel + ATI with a 600w power supply. I'm thinking of getting Crossfire rather than completely upgrading soon...

Laureola

Post by Laureola » Mon May 21, 2007 12:14 pm

konspakatak

Post by konspakatak » Mon May 21, 2007 1:10 pm

http://www.overclock.net/intel-cpus/191 ... e4300.html

According to a guy on page 3 of that topic, you should be able to get to 2.6 pretty easily, which is the stock speed of an e6600 (not accounting for the cache of course)

http://www.overclock.net/intel-cpus/187 ... ltage.html
http://www.overclock.net/intel-cpus/625 ... ck-24.html

If you wanna know your limits, go here, and you'll get the straight BIOS settings for most people's OC's. You'll find a range of CPU types.

As said, you'll need a good motherboard, but generally that's a given if you want it to last more than two weeks.

And bog, don't worry about OCing. You'll keep your compy stable most of the time, and it won't boot, or will autoshutdown when something's gets fudge. And always remember to stress test after OC'ing. Orthos, Memtest, TaT are always good programs for that sort of thing. It takes a bit more work than just buying a straight e6600 but it requires a lot less work.

konspakatak

Post by konspakatak » Mon May 21, 2007 1:11 pm

Sorry, meant money

x_x

donnytondesterkste

Post by donnytondesterkste » Tue May 22, 2007 8:43 am

Actually, if you want to do ANY decent overclocking over .1Ghz you'll need a very nice motherboard with a good chipset from a name brand vendor, which'll probably cost more than $150. Sure you can claim "hey look at this guy with dirt cheap hardware got 4Ghz but I intend for the explosion risk to be less than 1% when I'm overclocking, thank you.

Bog
Meteor Striked
Meteor Striked

Post by Bog » Wed May 23, 2007 1:31 am

Thanks Loureola. I might see if I can get another 1gb stick of RAM.

Cheers.

The Saffron Emperor

Post by The Saffron Emperor » Wed May 23, 2007 4:08 am

And I'll tell you where you can RAM it up. Heh heh, been waiting to use that.
--
Haha! They call me "Saffron."

Schpaksie

Post by Schpaksie » Sun Jun 17, 2007 6:12 pm

Donnyton, just because it has a locked multi, doesn't mean that you can't change the FSB, it just means that you can't up the multi to get your CPU running at several thousand degrees instead of 60. And it's very hard to kill a CPU unless you're doing an all out first time clock to go 4GHz straight off the block. I'm a hardcore clocker, and although I've melted a bit of stuff, that's mostly cause it's old and I felt like it, or because I was new and wanted that little speed boost too quickly and rushed my clock up to ridiculous proportions.

ATi has much better video cards, if you're still looking at upgrading, I'd recommend waiting a while, ATi's new 1GB HD2900XT has just been released, and you should see some comparisons, and if you're lucky, even a price drop in the next few weeks.

Intel/ATi for me. Intel's current line of processors outstrips anything AMD has by a long way. And because Conroe isn't really THAT old, the Conroe won't be going out of style any time soon.

But, for the moment, I'd wait. Simply so we can see the companies' second load of DX10 cards, that will most likely be less power consuming, and probably a bit cooler as well as running DX10 much better. By then maybe Intel/ATi's new lines of processors will be out?

Yeah, it's FFXII. So sue me.

Downsized from 1600x1200 so it doesn't murder peoples monitors.

Last edited by Schpaksie on Sun Jun 17, 2007 7:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Don't make me give you a STFUPPERCUT! - Shifty
"Little bit in the flask, a lil' bit in the cup, Spill a lil' on the counter when I'm fillin' it up"

Hans Stockmann

Post by Hans Stockmann » Sun Jun 17, 2007 6:20 pm

You bought ACoS, I gather. Needs more Balthier and Ultra-manly Cid.

Nyu

Post by Nyu » Sun Oct 21, 2007 7:12 am

I'm gonna go ahead and bump this
Because I said so

Nyu

Post by Nyu » Sun Oct 21, 2007 7:15 am

McTool

Post by McTool » Wed Nov 14, 2007 1:28 pm

Current background:

http://www.ace-attorney.com/assets/down ... 0_1024.jpg

Eagerly awaiting my copy in the mail...
Make good choices

Sven

Post by Sven » Wed Nov 14, 2007 2:03 pm

Schpaksie

Post by Schpaksie » Wed Nov 14, 2007 2:31 pm

Nyu wrote:also http://i20.tinypic.com/212ee4x.png
I win the topic
fudge yes
"Little bit in the flask, a lil' bit in the cup, Spill a lil' on the counter when I'm fillin' it up"

Spazer

Post by Spazer » Wed Nov 14, 2007 9:14 pm

whoahoauha postin' in a desktop thread

remain silent is awesome

Bog
Meteor Striked
Meteor Striked

Post by Bog » Thu Nov 15, 2007 7:24 am

RadioShadow

Post by RadioShadow » Thu Nov 15, 2007 10:23 am

GreenEarth

Post by GreenEarth » Thu Nov 15, 2007 1:37 pm

This are my desktop

Hans Stockmann

Re: Post thy desktop.

Post by Hans Stockmann » Wed May 21, 2008 7:55 pm

TRANSCENDENT SUPER SPIRAL DREADNOUGHT GANMEN TENJOU TENGEN CHOUGINGA GURREN LAGANN

Dragonite

Re:

Post by Dragonite » Thu May 22, 2008 1:41 am

RadioShadow wrote:Image
That is elite beat agents?(makes link with weird game in game magazine years ago about a very japanese game)
O ..dear..

Hans Stockmann

Post by Hans Stockmann » Thu May 22, 2008 7:52 pm

No, that would be the leader of the cheer squad from Ossu! Tatakae! Ouendan!, the game that is the spiritual predecessor to Elite Beat Agents.

Basically, Ouendan was the original japanese cheerleaders saving the world game. Western importers lapped it up.

Elite Beat Agents was the US adaption. Japanese importers lapped it up.

Then Ouendan 2 was made and everyone, be they Britannian or from Area 11 loved it.

Imano Ob
3DS Code: 0516-7426-0296

Post by Imano Ob » Fri May 23, 2008 8:31 am

Laptop desktop. Main computer desktop later.
This signature is boring. I don't know why you're reading it.

McTool

Post by McTool » Sun May 25, 2008 12:21 pm

It feels good to post in this thread without a SCANTILY CLAD ANIME GIRL ALERT.

I'll thumbnail it anyways, for old times sake.

Make good choices

Hans Stockmann

Post by Hans Stockmann » Sun May 25, 2008 1:27 pm

I am intrigued as to where you found a copy of Daybreak, and humbly request a link via PM.

While I'm here:

Schpaksie

Post by Schpaksie » Sun May 25, 2008 8:01 pm

Using XP today. If someone eventually actually reminds me to screenshot my Vista one, I'll post it.

Gaming tonight >_>

Computer crashed, and I'm yet to reinstall Aston.

Downscaled from 1600x1200 to 1024x768.

Imano Ob
3DS Code: 0516-7426-0296

Post by Imano Ob » Sun May 25, 2008 9:42 pm

A tiny bit messy, I suppose.
This signature is boring. I don't know why you're reading it.

Schpaksie

Re: Post thy desktop. (EFFIN' OBVIOUS 56k WARNING!)

Post by Schpaksie » Tue May 27, 2008 9:40 am

And yes, I still leave UAC on, and it almost never bothers me.