Post thy desktop. (EFFIN' OBVIOUS 56k WARNING!)

WWN's Social Lounge. The place to come and chill out for a relaxed conversation about life and stuff, or some more serious debates.
Gentleman of Dread

Re: Post thy desktop. (EFFIN' OBVIOUS 56k WARNING!)

Post by Gentleman of Dread » Thu Feb 17, 2011 7:25 am

bump but I got a new wallpaper and I love it.

Frankdeslimste

Post by Frankdeslimste » Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:06 pm

I downloaded wallpaper juggler 2 days ago, which means my wallpaper changes a lot now.
Yeah, I guess I love random. :P
I bet the bastard is throwing a party with a huge poster of a 2HP B-copter ~ Linkman 145
I like Frankie, so nyeh. ~ Linkman 145
Dammit now I have a bunch of emails in my inbox saying 'Dirty Penguin Sex Notification' ~ Thefalman

HPD
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by HPD » Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:07 pm

Mine's just been cycling through the same 8 ones every 10 minutes ever since I got this computer.
"So when I say the fudge shaman flies he goddamn well flies and that's that." - Narts
"My motto is that there are far too many women in the world to waste time with men." - thefalman
"It's just that I'm not really aware of how a common conversation goes." - Imano Ob, talking on MSN about talking on MSN
"As for FE8, that was IS' variant of Man Spam - Dudes with Swords edition." - Xenesis

Frankdeslimste

Post by Frankdeslimste » Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:10 pm

I searched for a lot of Nintendo wallpapers and added them to the cycle.I'm still adding wallpapers, but I think I have something like 70 wallpapers right now.
Also mine cycle every 30 minutes.
I bet the bastard is throwing a party with a huge poster of a 2HP B-copter ~ Linkman 145
I like Frankie, so nyeh. ~ Linkman 145
Dammit now I have a bunch of emails in my inbox saying 'Dirty Penguin Sex Notification' ~ Thefalman

Atticus

Post by Atticus » Thu Feb 17, 2011 4:13 pm

I would prefer a bass but this was a lot more elegant than most of the bass wallpapers I found.
"Attie, man. When did you become this totally kickass dude?"- Linky
"Personally, I'm perfectly fine with anything that makes this world not suck to live in"- SJCrew

McTool

Post by McTool » Sat Feb 19, 2011 6:17 am

Gilmour's hands are hella veiny
Make good choices

Bonesy
3DS Code: 0318 8318 0000

Post by Bonesy » Sat Feb 19, 2011 6:48 am

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO
3DS Code: 2535-4646-7163

Post by Xenesis » Sat Feb 19, 2011 9:43 am

Here's my current one. Woo for King's Bounty.

IST wrote:Even the worst individual needs to discover the joys of a chicken statue that is also a pregnant blonde housewife.

Bonesy
3DS Code: 0318 8318 0000

Post by Bonesy » Mon Feb 21, 2011 12:55 pm

my friend has a mac, it still confuses the crumpets out of me and it doesn't help he makes his iPhone do stuff to it freaking me out even more

Shift Breaker

I want to see your desktops/backgrounds. (Lots of pics. Duh)

Post by Shift Breaker » Mon May 16, 2011 12:10 am

Yes, another generic topic we've all seen before. But now we're busy, so I want to see it again. Let's start with mine.

I won't turn this topic into a "Guess the icons" topic this time, though, I swear.
"The part where you all shut up happens now." ~ thefalman
"I actually like to think of myself as a younger, hipper, more alive Nostradamus." ~ Treed
"Shifty, if I wasn't as manly a man as I am, I'd totally ask you out. And hope you'd wear that topless dude to impress me. In another lifetime, perhaps." ~ Nemmy
"Majora's Mask may by the only game I've played where someone was mooning me the entire time and I didn't care." ~ ThrawnFett

Shift Breaker

Post by Shift Breaker » Mon May 16, 2011 1:02 am

MY NAME IS SHIFT BREAKER AND I DO NOT PAY ATTENTION
"I actually like to think of myself as a younger, hipper, more alive Nostradamus." ~ Treed
"Shifty, if I wasn't as manly a man as I am, I'd totally ask you out. And hope you'd wear that topless dude to impress me. In another lifetime, perhaps." ~ Nemmy
"Majora's Mask may by the only game I've played where someone was mooning me the entire time and I didn't care." ~ ThrawnFett

Terragent

Post by Terragent » Mon May 16, 2011 1:10 am

...are those the yipyip aliens?

daisy

Post by daisy » Mon May 16, 2011 1:37 am

Two of 'em cos I've got two screens.

Shift Breaker

Post by Shift Breaker » Mon May 16, 2011 3:00 am

Terragent wrote:...are those the yipyip aliens?
Precisely so. Final Fantasy VII styled Yip Yip aliens from Sesame Street. Found it on this blog and loved it.

Gentleman of Dread

Post by Gentleman of Dread » Sun May 22, 2011 6:55 pm

THAT JACK NOIR

ThrawnFett

Post by ThrawnFett » Tue May 24, 2011 1:57 am

My work computer (with blurred icons):

Wow. We went from a cynical look at history repeating itself and Pichu swearing to Veggie Tales. Thrawn is definitely online. ~Pichu
You know, I have this feeling that one day your sig will be nothing but an archive of witticisms I've made over the years. ~Pichu
"Frankly, I wish that everybody was a little more like you. We'd certainly see less asinine behaviour all over the world." -Terragent

Shift Breaker

Post by Shift Breaker » Tue May 24, 2011 2:00 am

GoD, you have a really...empty desktop.

daisy

Post by daisy » Tue May 24, 2011 3:50 am

It's the "in" thing right now, just like full desktops were cool years ago.

Gentleman of Dread

Post by Gentleman of Dread » Tue May 24, 2011 3:52 am

I don't like my desktop being stuffy. It's always been my personal style.

Shift Breaker

Post by Shift Breaker » Tue May 24, 2011 4:04 am

Well, I suppose with Vista onwards having a search bar making it quicker than minimising all your windows, I understand why it's the in thing, but still. I like a mix of empty, useful and graceful. And Yip Yip aliens.

Sniffit II

Post by Sniffit II » Tue May 24, 2011 5:15 am

I think it is a shame to clutter up such an awesome wallpaper. I've kept mine empty(ish) for years for the same reason. That and it's easier to line all the icons up.
i don't know what a bishop ninja is but if it can still move diagonal without being seen it's got my vote - Pkdragon

FEAR ME, FEAR THE FIRE THAT BURNS IN MY BALLS, VERIDIAN FOREST! - Dragonite

Vote Sniffit for Space Dictator.

daisy

Post by daisy » Tue May 24, 2011 5:45 am

Shift Breaker wrote:Well, I suppose with Vista onwards having a search bar making it quicker than minimising all your windows, I understand why it's the in thing, but still. I like a mix of empty, useful and graceful. And Yip Yip aliens.
It was added to XP in an update, although on the taskbar rather than in Start.

HPD
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by HPD » Tue May 24, 2011 6:15 am

Shift Breaker wrote:GoD, you have a really...empty desktop.
I have absolutely nothing on my desktop. Only the taskbar.
"So when I say the fudge shaman flies he goddamn well flies and that's that." - Narts
"My motto is that there are far too many women in the world to waste time with men." - thefalman
"It's just that I'm not really aware of how a common conversation goes." - Imano Ob, talking on MSN about talking on MSN
"As for FE8, that was IS' variant of Man Spam - Dudes with Swords edition." - Xenesis

Mark_009_vn

Post by Mark_009_vn » Thu May 26, 2011 8:15 pm

This is what happens if I was given too much free time with the Blitzkrieg map editor.

Remember not to feed the animals

Gentleman of Dread

Post by Gentleman of Dread » Fri May 27, 2011 6:16 am

Dragonite

Post by Dragonite » Fri May 27, 2011 6:36 am

That is the most interesting wallpaper I have seen in a while. Love it.

Mark_009_vn

Post by Mark_009_vn » Fri May 27, 2011 11:25 am

Gentleman of Dread wrote:Roasted and toasted
Chocolate coated cat on a toast? Tasty. :D
Remember not to feed the animals

Gentleman of Dread

Post by Gentleman of Dread » Sun Jun 10, 2012 9:28 am

this.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

daisy

Post by daisy » Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:19 am

Shift Breaker

Post by Shift Breaker » Wed May 29, 2013 9:06 am

8 months without desktops. Based on all the other topics on the forum it looks like actual meaningful discussion has occurred. That or we all suddenly live in a fascist desktopless society, which is something I just can't bare to handle. Either way, here's a topic bump.

Image comes from this website, if you're interested for others like it.

daisy

Post by daisy » Thu May 30, 2013 10:22 am

Love it. What OS is that?

McTool

Post by McTool » Fri May 31, 2013 2:10 am

Looks like a really interesting Android skin. Are you running that on your DT or is this just a tablet skin?
Make good choices

Shift Breaker

Post by Shift Breaker » Fri May 31, 2013 2:41 am

It's actually Chrome OS, running on my Samsung Series 3 Chromebook. Neat little OS, although little is exactly what it is. But you can't go wrong with it going from turned off to browsing the web in about 10 seconds, including log in time.
Last edited by Shift Breaker on Fri May 31, 2013 2:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

McTool

Post by McTool » Fri May 31, 2013 2:52 am

CLOSE ENOUGH
Make good choices

Shift Breaker

Post by Shift Breaker » Fri May 31, 2013 3:17 am

YOU DON'T GET PRIZES FOR CLOSE ENOUGH

daisy

Post by daisy » Fri May 31, 2013 7:39 am

A Chromebook has always been something I'm interested in. While I like my iPad, it is nothing more than a toy and I miss the form-factor of a laptop for portability. Do you use it as your main rig?

Shift Breaker

Post by Shift Breaker » Fri May 31, 2013 6:47 pm

I do use it as my main device, yeah, but it's pretty much a necessity to have another device along with it, something I think no one here has no issue with. I still use the PC/my mum's laptop for certain things, ripping/playing CDs, uploading music to Google Play Music, much better file manager, and other things, but as of writing this post I've remembered that there is a remote desktop function built into the OS so it's hardly a hassle. And of course you're limited to the Chrome browser, so any issues you've had with that, sites not working correctly or whatever, you're stuck with. But Chrome is Chrome and has its usual positives, extensions etc. and the neat little feature to carry on where you left off if you have the browser on your phone. It's not entirely online, though. You can create documents, spreadsheets and so on (and play angry birds!) offline and stuff will be updated to the cloud either manually or automatically when you next get an internet connection, I'm not sure, I've never really used it offline. I don't think Skype via browser (as it's now part of hotmail) has been supported yet and Java definitely isn't a thing as well.

The device itself is quick, lightweight (oh man, is it lightweight) and feels pretty good, not really very cheap. The webcam's a good quality for chatting to people with Google's hangouts thing, or taking selfies and the touchpad is fine. It just takes getting used to the smaller keyboard. Oh, and there's no Caps Lock button, it's been replaced by a dedicated search button, although you can edit it to be caps lock if you want. In fact, there are a lot of dedicated buttons. Switch window, refresh, back/forward and smallen/embiggen window, along with the usual audio and brightness buttons. The only flaws with the device itself you'll see in pretty much every review, and that's that the speakers aren't really amazing. A little flat, you can hear it crackling when at a reasonably high volune and you're better off getting some sort of USB speaker or just using your headphones. As for USB, apparently it supports a lot of stuff which is good, as you can't exactly go and download the drivers. I can't say how good it is though, I've not even bought a little mouse for it yet. Oh, and there's a 8GB hard drive, you can't replace the battery I think it lasts about 7 hours without charge which is much better than my old laptop was when it died, which was around 6 minutes.

Basically, if you're going to go into it expecting just to be able to browse the web then you'll be sorted, especially with how much you can do nowadays. Just expect the limitations from a (mostly) web-only experience. Mine was £230, although you can probably get it for cheaper somewhere.

daisy

Post by daisy » Fri May 31, 2013 9:29 pm

Wow, love the effort put into that post.

Sounds awesome, but ahead of its time. My "150mbps" internet connection isn't consistent, especially with having to share it with 7 other guys. What's the 8GB storage used for if everything is online?

Guesty

Post by Guesty » Sat Jun 01, 2013 12:37 am

I took the image on my background myself.
Sig by Sasquatch.
Hit: Cute Things
Miss: Phones

McTool

Post by McTool » Sat Jun 01, 2013 2:05 am

Work machine. (slightly clipped since dual monitors)
Make good choices