Custom Wars Progress Report

WWN's Social Lounge. The place to come and chill out for a relaxed conversation about life and stuff, or some more serious debates.
Retsej

Custom Wars Progress Report

Post by Retsej » Sun Jul 30, 2006 11:48 am

Hey, Retsej here! This is for both the people who don't pay attention, and/or the people who don't know what's going on. Anyway, Custom Wars is alive and well. Actually, it's better than it's ever been, thanks to the efforts of MoogleGunner and Urusan, who have risen to the challenge of programming your game. So here's the status:

Programming
Due to their efforts, Custom Wars has been able to implement some of the custom units (and soon CO's) for playtesting. We also have a primitive, I repeat primitive version of online play going thru play by post implemented at the moment. We plan to have a fully finished Alpha version coming soon (specs at the end), but no set date (I'm still in school, dammit, and have finals this week!). Also, the majority of the code is open source, so check it out if you program!

CCO's
We've been busy working on lots and lots of CCO's, but do not worry, only the balanced will get in (or close to, anyway). Still, there's room for more, so drop by and submit yours!

Spriting
Not fully implemented yet and we still need sprites done, mainly in the CO department, so come by if you want to help.

Terrain and Units
Still open for interesting units, inventions, and buildings. Once again, come by if you have some ideas.

That about covers it. Come by if you have ideas. Anyway, here's what we plan

Alpha It's what we're doin' right now. The finished Alpha will have at least
- A working interface
- All 8 armies implemented
- One CO from each army implemented (remember, at least)
- Most/all units
- No battle Animations
- No or Crude AI

Beta This will have basically everything but the campaigns.

Finished Version Self explanatory, with consistant updates.

There will be constant releases of new material between each stage.

So there you have it. Questions, comments, concerns? Philosophical ramblings?

You can see the evolution of the program here!

Gameshark

Post by Gameshark » Sun Jul 30, 2006 11:49 am

Yes...and I had my modship removed for a day... for uhm...events

thefalman
Star CO
Star CO

Post by thefalman » Sun Jul 30, 2006 11:52 am

WHARS BET*shot*

Looking promising though, keep it up!
It took me a solid three minutes to fully comprehend your hair, Fallers. - Deoxy
Yes fal, you've got a good sense of style, you're clean shaven, and the cat on your head dares not move itself.
You look awesome. - Shift Breaker

I swear, you two are the worst couple ever. You've somehow managed to PDA on the internet through text. - Xenesis

Retsej

Post by Retsej » Sun Jul 30, 2006 12:02 pm

Hans Stockmann

Post by Hans Stockmann » Sun Jul 30, 2006 1:03 pm

I demand, nay, politely request for Xen's CCO of himself to be implemented for Great Justice.

I think I stand for us all when I say "ooooooooooooooh".

Retsej

Post by Retsej » Sun Jul 30, 2006 2:10 pm

Big update already!
urusan wrote:Alpha 21. Sorry for the double release...but I think this feature warrants it.
Sources:http://customwars.warsworldnews.com/fil ... lpha21.zip
JAR:http://customwars.warsworldnews.com/fil ... lpha21.zip
Screenshot:
Changes:
Saving/Loading

Please note: unlike .map files, .save files are not set in stone. Thus, saves may be invalidated by new releases. Especially if the new release changes Battle, or anything in Battle.

This feature also makes the current multiplayer easier, allows for Save Game Swap style multiplayer, and will help with bugs in the engine code.

IF YOU ENCOUNTER A WEIRD BUG, SAVE THE GAME!

Treedweller

Post by Treedweller » Sun Jul 30, 2006 2:35 pm

It's nice to know that CW is more than just a mere possibility, but an approaching reality. I wish all involved with the project the best of luck. :wink:

Banzo803

Post by Banzo803 » Sun Jul 30, 2006 4:23 pm

Thanks <_<
Chill on the Mexican stereotypes before I get my macho burrito and whip your butt like a candy-filled pinata, you filthy gringo. - Marceux <3

Winners of the Breakdancing Monk Stamp of Approval Award: 4
-Gameshark
-DTaeKim
-Dark Conscience
-Shift Breaker

Nobody

Post by Nobody » Sun Jul 30, 2006 5:20 pm

We're all going to kill each other, but thanks for your support. >_>

Treedweller

Post by Treedweller » Mon Jul 31, 2006 3:33 am

Oh, and just for Nem's reference I'm naying Koshi in the voting booth. I believe his creative section is severly lacking, and the D2D is too complicated for it's own good. Not only that, but he just doesn't give off an 'AW vibe' making him completely out of place without a lot of simplification and grammar.

And I'm posting this here because my CW doesn't work at all. Nems can nay him for me.

EDIT: I'd also like to formally request that my CCO Alex goes in the voting booth. I believe he has enough postive rates to warrant such action.

Tassadar

Post by Tassadar » Mon Jul 31, 2006 3:50 am

Treed, is it the fact that the account's not working? Or is just that the forums don't work on your comp? For the former, just PM Xen (here on WWN) and he could activate your account...

Treedweller

Post by Treedweller » Mon Jul 31, 2006 3:55 am

Yes, I have contacted him about my account not working, and he will likely get on it soon. It's just Nems needed me to cast my vote for Alexis immediately, and I thought that I may as well get my CCO in the voting booth at the same time.

Sorry for the confusion...

Frankdeslimste

Post by Frankdeslimste » Mon Jul 31, 2006 7:11 am

I will need to get used to some of the buidlings. The airport and bases look completly different... Any reason for that?
I bet the bastard is throwing a party with a huge poster of a 2HP B-copter ~ Linkman 145
I like Frankie, so nyeh. ~ Linkman 145
Dammit now I have a bunch of emails in my inbox saying 'Dirty Penguin Sex Notification' ~ Thefalman

Nobody

Post by Nobody » Mon Jul 31, 2006 7:18 am

The old buildings look better. I think most people believe that. The change was I think due to the desire to customize everything. >_>

Tassadar

Post by Tassadar » Mon Jul 31, 2006 7:19 am

We decided to make our own "style," as each AW game before us had too. We also decided to make it more realistic. Unfortunately, the airports need more defined outlines, but there are supposed to be runway, control tower, etc. The port is now more than an anchor...

Frankdeslimste

Post by Frankdeslimste » Mon Jul 31, 2006 7:32 am

I also think the old buildings look better...
I bet the bastard is throwing a party with a huge poster of a 2HP B-copter ~ Linkman 145
I like Frankie, so nyeh. ~ Linkman 145
Dammit now I have a bunch of emails in my inbox saying 'Dirty Penguin Sex Notification' ~ Thefalman

Banzo803

Post by Banzo803 » Mon Jul 31, 2006 8:16 am

Bah, you'll get used to it >_>
Chill on the Mexican stereotypes before I get my macho burrito and whip your butt like a candy-filled pinata, you filthy gringo. - Marceux <3

Winners of the Breakdancing Monk Stamp of Approval Award: 4
-Gameshark
-DTaeKim
-Dark Conscience
-Shift Breaker

Crystal Guard 292

Post by Crystal Guard 292 » Mon Jul 31, 2006 1:34 pm

I actually like the new buildings...
"It's game storage...THAT'LL TOTALLY PUNCH YOUR BALLS OFF! EXTREEEEEME!" -Airrider
"Well, he lives in Aussie land, where up is down and hamburgers eat people." -Familyguyman
"I'll get to it tomorrow." -Heropsychodreamer01

Yuganon

Post by Yuganon » Tue Aug 01, 2006 2:52 am

The bases look like cities. :D
teabag a piranha tank, heart barely beatin'

IBVG

Post by IBVG » Tue Aug 01, 2006 6:00 am

Regarding CCO's, just how much room is there left for additional ones? A link to the information or something would be nice.

Nobody

Post by Nobody » Tue Aug 01, 2006 6:06 am

I don't believe there's a limit unless you want a CCO in campaign mode.

IBVG

Post by IBVG » Tue Aug 01, 2006 6:14 am

Alright. If that's true, then cool.

Retsej

Post by Retsej » Tue Aug 01, 2006 11:22 am

This is the list of currently accepted campaign CO's

http://customwars.warsworldnews.com/viewtopic.php?t=721

Blame Game

Post by Blame Game » Tue Aug 01, 2006 11:26 am

Are there any additional requirements in order to get a CO into the campaign? I'm assuming that the Bio has to be good, or something....

Retsej

Post by Retsej » Tue Aug 01, 2006 11:34 am

Not really. You just have to create a balanced/original CO. You don't need a sprite or theme.

Blame Game

Post by Blame Game » Tue Aug 01, 2006 12:01 pm

OK. Thanks for the information. *works on CCO*

Tsuruya

Post by Tsuruya » Sun Mar 25, 2007 3:46 am

Beta 10
Download: http://www.customwars.com/viewtopic.php?p=115222#115222
Screenshot:
Changes:
Bugfixes
Zandra and Carmen (thanks CoconutTank)
Low fuel and low ammo indicators
Text antialiasing
Allowed for more COs than can fit in the menu (temporary)

Other Changes since last Stable Release:
Nana's D2D is now doubled under her COP.
Firing Code Optimization
Ember updated (No more "equal HP" thing going on, some firepower tweaks - I think I got them all.)
Mina updated (50 bad luck on COP)
BUG FIXES
Falcone, Jake, Koal, Melanthe, and Edward now work properly with save games!
I did a lot more than I expected, so it looks like Beta 10 is indeed worthy of the name. This is mainly a bugfix release...there were a huge number of minor issues that were dealt with.

I made the CO menu able to expand beyond its normal bounds. You may have to increase the size of the window to see the extra COs. This is just a temporary hack until the new screens get programmed.

Also, I just barely made my 1 release per month promise this month. Phew.
Last edited by Tsuruya on Sun Mar 25, 2007 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bog
Meteor Striked
Meteor Striked

Post by Bog » Sun Mar 25, 2007 4:31 am

Links are dead.

HPD
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by HPD » Sun Mar 25, 2007 8:19 am

Quite nice of you guys to pay us a little visit. Perhaps we should do the same in the (near) future and tighten our relations..
"So when I say the fudge shaman flies he goddamn well flies and that's that." - Narts
"My motto is that there are far too many women in the world to waste time with men." - thefalman
"It's just that I'm not really aware of how a common conversation goes." - Imano Ob, talking on MSN about talking on MSN
"As for FE8, that was IS' variant of Man Spam - Dudes with Swords edition." - Xenesis

Treedweller

Post by Treedweller » Sun Mar 25, 2007 8:40 am

We already have WWN spies present spreading dissatisfaction, rebellion and dissension, so I'd say we're A-O-K at the moment in the foreign relations department.

Bog
Meteor Striked
Meteor Striked

Post by Bog » Sun Mar 25, 2007 8:53 am

AWN, anyone?

>_>

<_<

Joey Chicago
Meteor Striked
Meteor Striked

Post by Joey Chicago » Sun Mar 25, 2007 9:07 am

Because Pichu can't touch me here, I find this picture relevant to how CW is doing.

"Live every week like it's Shark Week." - Tracy Jordan

"And there's a tax on people who smoke tobacco with a bong in public solely to be provocative." - Chris Onstad

i am a heron. i ahev a long neck and i pick fish out of the water w/ my beak. if you dont repost this comment on 10 other pages i will fly into your kitchen tonight and make a mess of your pots and pans

Hans Stockmann

Post by Hans Stockmann » Sun Mar 25, 2007 9:14 am

Thankyou.

Joey Chicago
Meteor Striked
Meteor Striked

Post by Joey Chicago » Sun Mar 25, 2007 9:15 am

I guess it's better off over here where it's actually relevant.

"And there's a tax on people who smoke tobacco with a bong in public solely to be provocative." - Chris Onstad

i am a heron. i ahev a long neck and i pick fish out of the water w/ my beak. if you dont repost this comment on 10 other pages i will fly into your kitchen tonight and make a mess of your pots and pans

Hans Stockmann

Post by Hans Stockmann » Sun Mar 25, 2007 12:17 pm

Precisely.

Tsuruya

Post by Tsuruya » Sun Mar 25, 2007 1:08 pm

Links fixed. Sorta.

Yuganon

Post by Yuganon » Sun Mar 25, 2007 5:27 pm

Wow, cool. It's just that I'm used to just the original COs when I'm playing. I'll just stick to anything with an awesome D2D >_>
teabag a piranha tank, heart barely beatin'

Bog
Meteor Striked
Meteor Striked

Post by Bog » Mon Mar 26, 2007 2:42 am

I need to download again. Haven't tried since the terrible alpha, and I was put off.

Joey Chicago
Meteor Striked
Meteor Striked

Post by Joey Chicago » Mon Mar 26, 2007 2:45 am

I can't believe they're actually voting on the Battle Car.

YOU LIKED THE UNIT, BUT YOU DON'T LIKE THE NAME. SHUT UP.

Sven

Post by Sven » Mon Mar 26, 2007 5:17 am

i don't like the unit