Custom Wars Progress Report

WWN's Social Lounge. The place to come and chill out for a relaxed conversation about life and stuff, or some more serious debates.
CO_Frosty

Post by CO_Frosty » Mon Mar 26, 2007 5:33 am

eternal enlightenment wrote:i don't like the unit

Why you didn't nay it on the first boothing? If you did, it wouldn't get in <_< >_>;.

Joey Chicago
Meteor Striked
Meteor Striked

Post by Joey Chicago » Mon Mar 26, 2007 5:59 am

Many people like the unit, but are being total and utter idiots about the name.

Just to spite you all, the admins should name it the "Weeaboo" in the game.
"Live every week like it's Shark Week." - Tracy Jordan

"And there's a tax on people who smoke tobacco with a bong in public solely to be provocative." - Chris Onstad

i am a heron. i ahev a long neck and i pick fish out of the water w/ my beak. if you dont repost this comment on 10 other pages i will fly into your kitchen tonight and make a mess of your pots and pans

Tsuruya

Post by Tsuruya » Mon Mar 26, 2007 8:47 am

I hate the unit since ever, and the name just added an extra kick.

donnytondesterkste

Post by donnytondesterkste » Mon Mar 26, 2007 10:02 am

Impressive AI.
"I'd sig that, but no room. >_>" -Blame Game

SJCrew

Post by SJCrew » Mon Mar 26, 2007 3:35 pm

I was iffy about the unit, but never really liked the name. It'd be nice if Kireato had given in and just changed the name, but since that ain't happenin', I guess keeping the unit out of the game works just as well.

(No, I'm not serious about naying it for the name, but it really does kill two birds with one boulder)
Hi, I play DoR PM me for a match.

PSN: the_sjcrew

Playing: Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3. Friend me if you want to join my lobbies and/or compete!

Tsuruya

Post by Tsuruya » Sun Apr 01, 2007 3:05 pm

Beta 11
Download: http://www.customwars.com/viewtopic.php?p=117715#117715
Screenshot:
Changes:
Amy, Sophie, Carrie
Battle Car

It's midnight here, so I'm off to bed.

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO
3DS Code: 2535-4646-7163

Post by Xenesis » Sun Apr 01, 2007 3:28 pm

Haha.

Oh my, I can't wait until tomorrow.
IST wrote:Even the worst individual needs to discover the joys of a chicken statue that is also a pregnant blonde housewife.

Treedweller

Post by Treedweller » Mon Apr 02, 2007 4:33 am

Yes, that's right, isn't it PAUL.

Kiltman2

Post by Kiltman2 » Mon Apr 02, 2007 5:46 am

I don't know why you guys at CW bother with any other CCOs, Alexander is enough awesome to beat all of them.

But in other words, well done and keep up the good work!

Treedweller

Post by Treedweller » Mon Apr 02, 2007 6:17 am

Admin sporks, eh?

Kiltman2

Post by Kiltman2 » Mon Apr 02, 2007 6:25 am

Seems like that, haha

Shame you can't spork him more often...

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Xenesis » Mon Apr 02, 2007 10:43 am

Kiltman2 wrote:Yes, that's right, isn't it PAUL.
That's my name. Don't wear it out.
IST wrote:Even the worst individual needs to discover the joys of a chicken statue that is also a pregnant blonde housewife.

thefalman
Star CO
Star CO

Post by thefalman » Mon Apr 02, 2007 10:44 am

Tee hee.

Also lol battle cars?
It took me a solid three minutes to fully comprehend your hair, Fallers. - Deoxy
Yes fal, you've got a good sense of style, you're clean shaven, and the cat on your head dares not move itself.
You look awesome. - Shift Breaker

I swear, you two are the worst couple ever. You've somehow managed to PDA on the internet through text. - Xenesis

Tsuruya

Post by Tsuruya » Wed Apr 04, 2007 9:33 am

Battle Cars was an april fools joke >_>

monkymeet
3DS Code: 3480-3067-3928

Post by monkymeet » Wed Apr 04, 2007 4:29 pm

you can't beat the awesome secret CCOs

Tsuruya

Post by Tsuruya » Fri Apr 06, 2007 12:07 pm

Beta 11r (r as in real! this is the real non-April Fools release!)
Download Game: http://www.customwars.com/viewtopic.php?p=119436#119436
Screenshot:
Changes:
Amy, Sophie, Carrie
Bugfixes
-Carrie SCOP proper level
-Amy SCOP works properly, and damage displays properly
-Conrad bug fixed
-Julia's SCOP now works properly! The cursor doesn't snap to the units, but I think that's a bit better. After moving one of your own units, all non-moved enemy units that could've been moved are paralyzed where they stand (is that all right?) In addition, trying to do a non-fire move causes the unit to snap back to where it started.

Blah blah, I hope that major problems have been fixed. >_>

Tsuruya

Post by Tsuruya » Mon Apr 09, 2007 3:48 pm

Beta 12
Download:http://www.customwars.com/viewtopic.php?p=120126#120126
Screenshot:
Changes:
Some minor cleanup of Beta 11r
Bugfixes (of course)
Starting Funds Option
Mary
Thanatos

You can thank CoconutTank for those last 3

Treedweller

Post by Treedweller » Tue Apr 10, 2007 3:17 am

The sprites are still very inconsistent.

DTaeKim
Star CO
Star CO

Post by DTaeKim » Tue Apr 10, 2007 4:52 am

Good god, there's more content than I can reliably balance in a short amount of time.
What can change the nature of a man?

Tsuruya

Post by Tsuruya » Tue Apr 10, 2007 4:59 am

10 slots per army was a mistake IMO.

We ran out of CO ideas D;

Terragent

Post by Terragent » Tue Apr 10, 2007 5:05 am

You ran out of CO ideas when you made one CCO. Seriously.

Xen

Post by Xen » Tue Apr 10, 2007 3:12 pm

DTaeKim wrote:Good god, there's more content than I can reliably balance in a short amount of time.
There's more content than I can balance. <_<;

Tsuruya

Post by Tsuruya » Sat May 05, 2007 11:16 am

Beta 13
Download:http://www.customwars.com/viewtopic.php?p=125983#125983
Screenshot:
Changes:
-Better file handling in the map editor
-Army now swaps enemyCOstores when switching
-noResupply and noRepair added to unit and context menu, as well as BattleScreen and APC
-New screen size
-Fixed screen resize code
-Bugfixes (see testing for details)
-remaining save/load menus converted to FileChoosers

I didn't put in the new menus yet though...it's quite a lot of work, so expect one or two new menus per release for the next few releases.

Also, I'm active again, so expect to see a lot of work the next few days...provided I don't collapse now that school's over.
Last edited by Tsuruya on Sat May 05, 2007 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

donnytondesterkste

Post by donnytondesterkste » Sat May 05, 2007 11:26 am

I think that just cramming more and more and more custom units and CCOs will only make CW a user-balanced upgrade to AWDS. If CW really wants to be revolutionary, here's what will set it apart:

1. Better AI

2. Make turns faster and easier. So we don't have to go to every unit, select it, look around, go to the enemy unit, look at its range, go back to our unit, move it, repeat for every other unit.

3. Smarter damage formulas.

4. Completely expandability. Tools to make your own CO, unit, map, campaign, etc.

Treedweller

Post by Treedweller » Sat May 05, 2007 11:43 am

1 is what they're working on, 2 doesn't even make sense, 3 is being done, and as for 4, I'm not sure if that's happening, but it's surely been tossed around.

Tsuruya

Post by Tsuruya » Sat May 05, 2007 12:00 pm

ACTUALLY, We're already considering all of your points and have been working towards them.

1. Underway... (early stages)
2. Neat features like the "Check Range" from FE9 to make things easier. Also bigger screen = less/no scrolling needed
3. Underway... (Balance Mode)
4. Underway... (we've jsut discussed it, but we havent exactly started much on it yet, but a Design Maps has already been programmed, and we might do Custom COs, units, "campaign" maps, etc.)

Note the part where it's called BETA

RadioShadow

Post by RadioShadow » Sun May 06, 2007 3:18 am

Hmmm, needs more decent maps.

donnytondesterkste

Post by donnytondesterkste » Sun May 06, 2007 3:39 am

There's a VAST library of great maps on Advance Wars Net that just need a few balance tweaks, then you can use my File Converter program (I made it using the CW source) to convert them all to .map files. The biggest problem right now is getting permission from the authors of those maps to put them in CW.

Tsuruya

Post by Tsuruya » Sun May 06, 2007 3:46 am

Check the Mapping Dept. Sctickies rofl

RadioShadow

Post by RadioShadow » Sun May 06, 2007 6:07 am

I mean maps that have been played and tested and are balanced.

Not ones that have been randomly made and shoved in there.

Its not hard people.
Last edited by RadioShadow on Sun May 06, 2007 7:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Altrenishot

Post by Altrenishot » Sun May 06, 2007 6:18 am

donnyton wrote:There's a VAST library of great maps on Advance Wars Net that just need a few balance tweaks, then you can use my File Converter program (I made it using the CW source) to convert them all to .map files. The biggest problem right now is getting permission from the authors of those maps to put them in CW.
Infantry only work well on symmetrical maps with strategically equal bases. Very very few of the maps at AWN have those qualities.

Tsuruya

Post by Tsuruya » Sun May 06, 2007 6:27 am

What's that?

We need permission?

ahahahahaha

RadioShadow

Post by RadioShadow » Sun May 06, 2007 7:05 am

donnyton wrote:There's a VAST library of great maps on Advance Wars Net that just need a few balance tweaks, then you can use my File Converter program (I made it using the CW source) to convert them all to .map files. The biggest problem right now is getting permission from the authors of those maps to put them in CW.
I don't think we need to ask permission from the authors. As long as we give them credit then they can't complain.

That's what I'm doing with my Ember Hack, If I see a sweet fun balanced map, I play test it and add it. Sometimes making one or two changes. But But I'm going to give them credit since they made the map.

Someone really needs to sort the maps out though.

Tsuruya

Post by Tsuruya » Mon May 07, 2007 12:48 am

Beta 14
Download: http://www.customwars.com/viewforum.php?f=24
Troubleshooting: http://www.customwars.com/viewforum.php?f=24
Screenshot:
Changes:
Balance Mode on by default
Snail Mode

Ok, before I set you guys loose on my poor innocent server...there are a few things you need to know.

First of all, Snail mode isn't done yet. Most importantly, player elimination doesn't work correctly yet. Also, there are a lot of planned features and improvements...so don't get upset if it seems...spartan.

More importantly, the only server we have right now is over at paheal. This is only a test server. THAT MEANS YOUR GAMES MIGHT GET DELETED OR OTHERWISE MANGLED IN THE DEVELOPMENT PROCESS. I'll try not to mess with people's games...but if it comes down to a choice between carefully preserving everyone's games and making a new improvement quickly and easily, the games won't stand a chance. This policy is reasonable since this is a beta and you are beta testers. Hopefully by the time we have a server running on customwars.com, we won't need to worry about games there being deleted except in extreme cases.

Lastly, I would highly recommend running the console whenever possible when playing server games for now. I put all the error messages in there.

Ok, well, enjoy the new feature.

>> HOLY CRUMPETS IT'S SNAIL MODE --this means online games over a server ala AWBW. As in, YOU DONT HAVE TO BE BOHT ONLINE AT THE SAME TIME ANYMORE!!!!!!!!

Serenity

Post by Serenity » Mon May 07, 2007 1:08 am

fudge two updates in three days? crumpets. Anyways, I think I might download this one seeing as the last version that I played was Alpha 30 or something.

HPD
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by HPD » Mon May 07, 2007 3:31 am

Woah. Now we're getting somewhere..
"So when I say the fudge shaman flies he goddamn well flies and that's that." - Narts
"My motto is that there are far too many women in the world to waste time with men." - thefalman
"It's just that I'm not really aware of how a common conversation goes." - Imano Ob, talking on MSN about talking on MSN
"As for FE8, that was IS' variant of Man Spam - Dudes with Swords edition." - Xenesis

Tsuruya

Post by Tsuruya » Mon May 07, 2007 6:19 am

Urusan's summer has started rofl

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Xenesis » Mon May 07, 2007 8:09 am

Oh yeah, that reminds me. THM, you can hotlink stuff from CW to WWN you know...as I like own both of them.

Tsuruya

Post by Tsuruya » Mon May 07, 2007 10:18 am

i know asdfghjkl

it just makes organizing so much easier --I just cut and paste for every site (plus I answer less questions on HOW DOES THIS WORK this way >_>)

donnytondesterkste

Post by donnytondesterkste » Mon May 07, 2007 10:31 am

RadioShadow wrote:
I don't think we need to ask permission from the authors. As long as we give them credit then they can't complain.

That's what I'm doing with my Ember Hack, If I see a sweet fun balanced map, I play test it and add it. Sometimes making one or two changes. But But I'm going to give them credit since they made the map.

Someone really needs to sort the maps out though.
That's the thing: we can't even give them credit without defeating the purpose of it. The reason I made a converter was to convert large amounts of maps at the same time (as in, thousands every second) so we wouldn't have to copy paste into the Map Editor of CW every time.

The problem is, even if we give credit they can still come back and say "hey! i didn't allow this to be released! delete it from your source and from everybody else's game!" because supposedly AWN policy states its their intellectual property.

Personally, I think that's complete BS, as 1. IT'S A MAP SHARING SITE. This isn't TV shows or pirated music. It's a collection of tiles, gosh. 2. AWN is a map sharing site. I mean, almost every map can be downloaded just by clicking a button. In effect, the map's already distributed to the public there. Why can't we use it? 3. Nobody takes their maps that seriously, and even if they did, they've got serious problems.

In addition, most of the best maps have inactive uncontactable authors, so a lot of good maps from a long time ago can't be used ideally.

And lastly, there's a big problem: AWN members are lazy. They don't fill out the Author and Name and Description in their maps (they fill it out as they submit it, but it's not inherent to the file). So once I convert it to a .map it's completely generic and anonymous, so I would have to go back and edit the info to give the user credit. Which would defeat the purpose of converting them so fast, and we're back to snail convertage.

So the only REAL way out of this would to just assume AWN maps as public property and steal them all. But then CW would look like real jerks, wouldn't they? [/sarcasm]