I got the shock of my life this past weekend (OMG COLLEGE!)

WWN's Social Lounge. The place to come and chill out for a relaxed conversation about life and stuff, or some more serious debates.
Powdered Toast Man

I got the shock of my life this past weekend (OMG COLLEGE!)

Post by Powdered Toast Man » Wed Aug 15, 2007 4:03 pm

Okay, so this past weekend I went to my Freshman orientation at UC Davis. It started on Sunday when I went in the afternoon to sign up for the orientation. Later the Freshman class (this particular orientation seemed to be only for Engineers, apparantly) followed the staff leaders to the Life Sciences Hall where we were greeted with a rousing welcome cheer and a brief breakdown of Freshman do's-and-dont's. After that we followed our assigned leaders back to our specified meeting places and were all handed a Class Registration catalog; which I, being the mentally disabled person I am, had no idea how to use it. All-in-all, everything seemed fine save for the mild uncertainty about course registration.

The following day, trouble started to brew.

In the morning, we went back to the Life Sci. Hall to take our Math and Chemistry placement exams. Seems like no big deal, right? After all, it's just a scantron sheet. We were timed for 90 min. on the Math exam and 45 min. on the Chem exam. I thought I was doing fairly decent for a while. Unfortunately, I suck at tests and exams of any sort, not excluding scantron tests - especially scantron tests (which, btw, the are the worst form of exam ever) - , so when I got my results back they were broken down like so:

Math Exam:
-Total Score: 18/60 (30% exactly - not good!)

Chem Exam:
-Total Score: 15/44 (31% - not even slightly better)

*Note: The parantesized statements are my comments. They didn't actually appear on my exam scores.

So, with my scores back I'm thinking, "Sholy hit! ...Well, I do suck at exams. How bad could this be?" That's where things began conflicting.

First, a notice was attached to my scores saying that since I scored poorly I wasn't able to take the courses required for degree (I'm in Optical Science & Engineering, fyi) and said that I was eligible for some course that I had never even heard of. So, being the type of person who instantly freaks out over what seems to be just a slight flaw and turns it into a universally huge deal, I was freaking out and wondering what these strange course registration numbers meant. Of course, I didn't even know how to get started on selecting my classes so I just sat paralyzed, acting like I knew what I was doing, trying to figure out what to do next. It never occured to me that I should ask someone help over the most basic of steps: How to sign up for a course. Since my groups' orientation leader seemed to be a woman whose vibe was "You know how to do the very basic of things without any help", I was spazzing out, mumbling to myself and acting like a total freak job. The rest of my group who seemed to be getting everything down without a trace of confusion, and the fact that I hate to keep people waiting - my mother was waiting for my appointment with my leader to finish - and had no way of contacting her, I literally had a million questions rushing through my mind none of which I could seem to answer.

I cracked.

Without thinking about the consequences, I literally got up and walked away from my scheduled appointment without consulting my orientation leader about my classes - hell, I didn't even choose my classes - and went home. My mind was a total blank filled with anxiety and uncertainty. My mom consoled me saying that she saw other kids who were clueless about what to do, except they went to ask for help. That shook me up not just quite a bit but a whole freaking lot! Later that night, though I finally came to my senses and snapped back to reality a little bit.

The next morning [Tuesday] I went to meet my major adviser with my orientation leader. Can you guess what my leader said to me when I walked in?

"Do you have your schedule?"

Of course I didn't since I just up and walked away the previous night without giving her a moment's notice. So she's feeling pissed at me and frustrated. I'm feeling guilty and just want to crawl into a hole and die. Then we, the group, my leader, my adviser, and I all head back to the meeting place from the previous night; the place where I was supposed to have the appointment with my leader.

Fortune was with me, though, somehow, because my adviser seemed kind enough and didn't give off that know-all aura my orientation leader seemed to be filled with. She, my adviser, kindly looked at my exam scores and gently directed me step-by-step to which courses I had to take; turns out I had to take my basic Workload prep courses before enrolling in my required major courses.

In a nutshell, the beef of this story is that I had a spaz attack because I was so overwhelmed by so many things at my orientation (my leader, my courses, so much information to process) that I blew a fuse and got worked up all over something that could have been solved easily if I had just had my nerves about me when I was supposed to have met with my orientation leader in an appointment to discuss which class I had to take.

I know there doesn't seem to be much point in hearing me jaw about my first-hand experience at orientation but I know there a few college students here at WWN who may have had prior experience like I did. What was it like for you guys when you first went to college orientation?

The moral of this story: Never crack under pressure. What may seem like a colossal deal at first may only be solved with a simple question. Just keep your nerves about you and never be shy to ask questions (but damn! My orientation leader seemed to give off such an elitist vibe. >_< )

Just needed to get that out of my system. ^_^

EDIT: To be quite honest, I've never been so stressed out in my life. *insert "OMG COLLEGE!" remark here*

Linkman
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Linkman » Thu Aug 16, 2007 2:32 am

Heh. Don't worry bud, we've all been there, and people are a bit too happy to just blow you off as stupid if you don't have a clue of what to do. I'm actually considering postulating as adviser next year and helping some first-years out. Sounds like fun and they give you a nice T-shirt.

As for those orientations, they're seriously crumpets. I'd recommend you speak with people that actually work on those fields and find out what they do if you're not too sure of what you're going for.
"everytime I try to draw xen I end up drawing a kangaroo smoking a cigar while chainsawing a tree" - Deoxy
"I can't believe I'm the only person who voted Stallone. His appeal lies in watching is movies again and again just to hear what the hell he's talking about." - Kilteh

Powdered Toast Man

Post by Powdered Toast Man » Thu Aug 16, 2007 6:20 am

Heh. I'm still recovering from the shock of few days ago. I'm still nervous and angsty as hell about living on campus in a few months but I suppose it's only a natural reaction.

BTW, what college are you attending Linkman?

Linkman
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Linkman » Thu Aug 16, 2007 7:25 am

The Faculty of Physical and Mathematical Sciences of the University of Chile.

Not quite what you expected? =P
"everytime I try to draw xen I end up drawing a kangaroo smoking a cigar while chainsawing a tree" - Deoxy
"I can't believe I'm the only person who voted Stallone. His appeal lies in watching is movies again and again just to hear what the hell he's talking about." - Kilteh

Pkdragon

Post by Pkdragon » Thu Aug 16, 2007 8:06 am

Don't worry.

I don't go to college (yet), but I do that kind of stuff all the time. >__> You're not alone. And it's quite understandable that you got freaked out under those circumstances. >_>
HPD wrote:You know the only thing on the agenda of the Squirtle Squad is pure, unadulterated chaos.

That, and watching Euros squirm.

Powdered Toast Man

Post by Powdered Toast Man » Thu Aug 16, 2007 9:38 am

Linkman wrote:The Faculty of Physical and Mathematical Sciences of the University of Chile.

Not quite what you expected? =P
Not at all! =O

Crystal Guard 292

Post by Crystal Guard 292 » Fri Aug 31, 2007 4:43 pm

I just got moved into college about 2 weeks ago. It's certainly a rush, isn't it?

It's nice to be able to meet so many people...
"It's game storage...THAT'LL TOTALLY PUNCH YOUR BALLS OFF! EXTREEEEEME!" -Airrider
"Well, he lives in Aussie land, where up is down and hamburgers eat people." -Familyguyman
"I'll get to it tomorrow." -Heropsychodreamer01