And here I was thinking that I couldn't find...

WWN's Social Lounge. The place to come and chill out for a relaxed conversation about life and stuff, or some more serious debates.
Shift Breaker

Post by Shift Breaker » Thu Sep 27, 2007 2:34 am

thefalman wrote:Pretty much - any caring involved is certainly nowhere near as much as the members of said site.
Exactly. Apathy about Religion = ????? = Apatheist

The bit in the middle is the "Missing Link". Of course, those guys on the site wouldn't believe it.

Actually, they don't believe about apes, so imagine how confused they would be when they find out that we all started as starfish.
"The part where you all shut up happens now." ~ thefalman
"I actually like to think of myself as a younger, hipper, more alive Nostradamus." ~ Treed
"Shifty, if I wasn't as manly a man as I am, I'd totally ask you out. And hope you'd wear that topless dude to impress me. In another lifetime, perhaps." ~ Nemmy
"Majora's Mask may by the only game I've played where someone was mooning me the entire time and I didn't care." ~ ThrawnFett

thefalman
Star CO
Star CO

Post by thefalman » Thu Sep 27, 2007 2:52 am

Now you see that's not true in my case - Apatheist still implies not believing in God. Whereas I do in some shape or form.
It took me a solid three minutes to fully comprehend your hair, Fallers. - Deoxy
Yes fal, you've got a good sense of style, you're clean shaven, and the cat on your head dares not move itself.
You look awesome. - Shift Breaker

I swear, you two are the worst couple ever. You've somehow managed to PDA on the internet through text. - Xenesis

Shift Breaker

Post by Shift Breaker » Thu Sep 27, 2007 3:53 am

Apathy-ist.
"I actually like to think of myself as a younger, hipper, more alive Nostradamus." ~ Treed
"Shifty, if I wasn't as manly a man as I am, I'd totally ask you out. And hope you'd wear that topless dude to impress me. In another lifetime, perhaps." ~ Nemmy
"Majora's Mask may by the only game I've played where someone was mooning me the entire time and I didn't care." ~ ThrawnFett

thefalman
Star CO
Star CO

Post by thefalman » Thu Sep 27, 2007 5:03 am

Sounds more like it.
It took me a solid three minutes to fully comprehend your hair, Fallers. - Deoxy
Yes fal, you've got a good sense of style, you're clean shaven, and the cat on your head dares not move itself.

I swear, you two are the worst couple ever. You've somehow managed to PDA on the internet through text. - Xenesis

Shift Breaker

Post by Shift Breaker » Thu Sep 27, 2007 5:09 am

Same Difference.

donnytondesterkste

Post by donnytondesterkste » Thu Sep 27, 2007 6:20 am

Fal, are you a deist?

Loosely defined as someone with notions of a god that are incomprehensible and don't really matter in every day life? Or more strictly speaking, one who believes that God was the first cause of everything, but once he created and set the universe in motion, he left to do his own business?
"I'd sig that, but no room. >_>" -Blame Game

Joey Chicago
Meteor Striked
Meteor Striked

Post by Joey Chicago » Thu Sep 27, 2007 6:26 am

Deism: The idea that God is the greatest programmer ever.
"Live every week like it's Shark Week." - Tracy Jordan

"And there's a tax on people who smoke tobacco with a bong in public solely to be provocative." - Chris Onstad

i am a heron. i ahev a long neck and i pick fish out of the water w/ my beak. if you dont repost this comment on 10 other pages i will fly into your kitchen tonight and make a mess of your pots and pans

donnytondesterkste

Post by donnytondesterkste » Thu Sep 27, 2007 6:29 am

Not really. There are plenty of deists who believe God is a blundering fool who mashed together some rocks for fun and went away, and we just happen to be here.

Joey Chicago
Meteor Striked
Meteor Striked

Post by Joey Chicago » Thu Sep 27, 2007 6:39 am

Heh. If I were a deist, I'd like the first one better.

"And there's a tax on people who smoke tobacco with a bong in public solely to be provocative." - Chris Onstad

i am a heron. i ahev a long neck and i pick fish out of the water w/ my beak. if you dont repost this comment on 10 other pages i will fly into your kitchen tonight and make a mess of your pots and pans

TheInspiration

Post by TheInspiration » Thu Sep 27, 2007 6:56 am

thefalman wrote:Now you see that's not true in my case - Apatheist still implies not believing in God. Whereas I do in some shape or form.
If there's a strong hint there's the word "apathy" in there, then apatheist implies theism: apa-theist.

Just my view. Don;t think it really matters mind.

Hooded_Miracle

Post by Hooded_Miracle » Thu Sep 27, 2007 7:03 am

I think we're all forgetting about Pastafarians.

The Flying Spaghetti Monster kicks Jesus' ass.

Powdered Toast Man

Post by Powdered Toast Man » Thu Sep 27, 2007 7:23 am

I don't know. I don't think I would ever want to believe in a giant flying clump of noodles with such a recent founding. Maybe let it flesh out some...?

thefalman
Star CO
Star CO

Post by thefalman » Thu Sep 27, 2007 7:43 am

Donnyton: Because of my Catholic upbringing I'm probably more of a Theist - and obviously biased towards the idea of the 'Catholic/Christian' God.

TheInspiration: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apatheism

By that definition, the word is a combination of apathy and atheism.

donnytondesterkste

Post by donnytondesterkste » Fri Sep 28, 2007 9:02 am

And besides, if you don't care if there's a God or not, then his existence doesn't really concern you, so you're a natural atheist, not a decided atheist.

And also, how does your Catholic upbringing affect you? My very religious upbringing seems to have pushed me in the opposite direction, so unless you've decided to set your Catholicism aside for the time being, otherwise it's sort of a rejection of it.

Hooded_Miracle

Post by Hooded_Miracle » Fri Sep 28, 2007 9:50 am

Hey, I see progress!

Or, backwards progress, or something. >_>

Anyone else think the Flying Spaghetti Monster has the best Heaven? It has beer and women. :D

donnytondesterkste

Post by donnytondesterkste » Fri Sep 28, 2007 11:55 am

Actually, somewhere down the line, the idea of heaven and any kind of afterlife started to induce revulsion...

But beer and women are always good. It depends on what kind of music they play up there though.

Pkdragon

Post by Pkdragon » Fri Sep 28, 2007 12:14 pm

I prefer Valhalla, myself.
HPD wrote:You know the only thing on the agenda of the Squirtle Squad is pure, unadulterated chaos.

That, and watching Euros squirm.

thefalman
Star CO
Star CO

Post by thefalman » Fri Sep 28, 2007 1:11 pm

Again, people are misinterpreting what I'm saying.

What I believe, in simple terms:

- I believe there to be a God.
- My Catholic upbringing means any thoughts (by me) of the existence of God will be biased towards the Christian/Catholic idea of God. It also means I am loathe to turn my back on the idea of God's existence.
- I do not care for religious debate, it only ever leads to arguments, with no positive outcome on either side.
- At the present time I am too lazy/do not care enough about religion to practice it with any regularity.
- I find religious fanatics/fundamentalists (of any religion) frightening, and I find militant atheists who seem to think it's their duty to mankind to disprove all religion extremely fudge irritating.
- I believe the most important message of religion is to essentially summed up in the phrase "Love one another." - that is, we should attempt to be decent human beings wherever possible. Those who use religion as an excuse to blow the crumpets out of people, or cast condemnation on others, or for whatever negative purpose, are totally missing the point in my eyes.

So yeah, there you go, feel free to pigeon-hole me with some irrelevant nametag, but don't try and tell me that I'm something I'm not.

Powdered Toast Man

Post by Powdered Toast Man » Fri Sep 28, 2007 2:00 pm

thefalman wrote: - I find religious fanatics/fundamentalists (of any religion) frightening, and I find militant atheists who seem to think it's their duty to mankind to disprove all religion extremely fudge irritating.
lol if it were me writing that I would switch the two around: That militant atheists extremely frightening and religious fundamentalists/fanatics extremely irritating. Maybe it's because I better understand the intentions of fundies. Not that I'm claiming to be an expert on the subject of religion, mind you.

Alecat

Post by Alecat » Sat Sep 29, 2007 1:11 am

thefalman wrote:- I believe the most important message of religion is to essentially summed up in the phrase "Love one another." - that is, we should attempt to be decent human beings wherever possible. Those who use religion as an excuse to blow the crumpets out of people, or cast condemnation on others, or for whatever negative purpose, are totally missing the point in my eyes.
This is how I feel, too, and going on from that I think if I have a true faith in anything then I have a faith in my fellow humans. It is, really, the most foolish thing to believe in, because people are flawed, and we've seen more than enough proof of that. But when I see "flawed" beings doing good, wonderful things, my faith is renewed. So I know it's idiotic, but I can't help but believe in people. From my friends and family to people I've never met before.

As for gods... I would call myself an agnostic. I've got quite a nice seat on this fence.

Shift Breaker

Post by Shift Breaker » Sat Sep 29, 2007 2:33 am

thefalman wrote:So yeah, there you go, feel free to pigeon-hole me with some irrelevant nametag, but don't try and tell me that I'm something I'm not.
You are a liar.

Now, is that true or not?

I'll leave you to think about that.

Hooded_Miracle

Post by Hooded_Miracle » Sat Sep 29, 2007 3:10 am

I think Heaven might have a stereo system, or at least a PS3.

If any Heaven had a PS3 and maybe a copy of LittleBigPlanet, I think I'd convert. Maybe.

thefalman
Star CO
Star CO

Post by thefalman » Sat Sep 29, 2007 3:20 am

Shift Breaker wrote:You are a liar.
NEWSFLASH: Everybody is a liar.

However, what I wrote in my previous post is not a lie.

Shift Breaker

Post by Shift Breaker » Sat Sep 29, 2007 3:47 am

That's not really Newsflash Worthy. >_>

Hooded_Miracle

Post by Hooded_Miracle » Sat Sep 29, 2007 7:10 am

Are we still talking about Heaven?

Think it's an arcade?

Powdered Toast Man

Post by Powdered Toast Man » Sat Sep 29, 2007 8:20 am

My interest in Heaven would be magnified by a hundred-fold if it had an arcade with every non-terrible video game in existence. What you say may not be entirely stupid.

Hooded_Miracle

Post by Hooded_Miracle » Sat Sep 29, 2007 8:44 am

If it had the Japanese arcade games like Ikaruga, Virtua Fighter 5, and maybe Initial D, I think it'd be worth it.

Seriously. I'll confess all my sins if I new Heaven had a Pacman machine.

onewaystreet

Post by onewaystreet » Sat Sep 29, 2007 12:10 pm

Hooded_Miracle wrote:If it had the Japanese arcade games like Ikaruga
I stopped reading there to quote this post and agree 100% with you.
thefalman wrote:Honestly, just when I thought we could all have a nice topic about mocking ridiculously, overly hardcore fundamentalists, it has to turn into a religious debate.

You bastards.
thefalman wrote:
RadioShadow wrote:Including having SEX? :o
I know it's an alien concept to you RS, but there's no need to act so surprised.

Quismod

Post by Quismod » Sat Sep 29, 2007 12:12 pm

It's heaven.

I'm pretty sure god can get SSBB before it's released.

Joey Chicago
Meteor Striked
Meteor Striked

Post by Joey Chicago » Sat Sep 29, 2007 1:42 pm

Powdered Toast Man wrote:My interest in Heaven would be magnified by a hundred-fold if it had an arcade with every non-terrible video game in existence. What you say may not be entirely stupid.
Sometimes it's fun to play the terrible games. Seriously.

Powdered Toast Man

Post by Powdered Toast Man » Sat Sep 29, 2007 2:53 pm

Unakau wrote:
Powdered Toast Man wrote:My interest in Heaven would be magnified by a hundred-fold if it had an arcade with every non-terrible video game in existence. What you say may not be entirely stupid.
Sometimes it's fun to play the terrible games. Seriously.
"Big Rigs: Over The Road Racing", much? Also, games with little to no inspiration put into them?

Hooded_Miracle

Post by Hooded_Miracle » Sat Sep 29, 2007 9:51 pm

WRONG.

I REALLY don't want to play any stupid movie-games. EVER.

Except maybe Chronicles of Riddick. MAYBE.

FormicHiveQueen

Post by FormicHiveQueen » Sat Sep 29, 2007 11:02 pm

What are we talking about now? I lost track.

Powdered Toast Man

Post by Powdered Toast Man » Sun Sep 30, 2007 5:05 am

Heaven's Arcade

Hooded_Miracle

Post by Hooded_Miracle » Sun Sep 30, 2007 8:06 am

We think it may have a DDR machine.

Powdered Toast Man

Post by Powdered Toast Man » Sun Sep 30, 2007 10:48 am

I just want some Time Crisis.

Quismod

Post by Quismod » Sun Sep 30, 2007 12:23 pm

Powdered Toast Man

Post by Powdered Toast Man » Sun Sep 30, 2007 1:00 pm

Why does every web comic on about God set out to make him look like a jackass?

Quismod

Post by Quismod » Sun Sep 30, 2007 4:07 pm

Because a God not being a jackass isn't very funny.

Shift Breaker

Post by Shift Breaker » Sun Sep 30, 2007 8:36 pm