I just moved into my dorm (aka, my college experience)

WWN's Social Lounge. The place to come and chill out for a relaxed conversation about life and stuff, or some more serious debates.
Powdered Toast Man

I just moved into my dorm (aka, my college experience)

Post by Powdered Toast Man » Mon Sep 24, 2007 10:20 am

It's quite cozy, actually. Nothing at all what I was expecting it to be. My roommates are also quite friends (so far).

Now I just need to make it through the week without cracking, 'cause my classes are going to be hell.
Last edited by Powdered Toast Man on Wed Sep 26, 2007 7:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Linkman
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Linkman » Mon Sep 24, 2007 10:36 am

Don't sweat it so much, man. It's not so hellish as they make it up to be.
"everytime I try to draw xen I end up drawing a kangaroo smoking a cigar while chainsawing a tree" - Deoxy
"I can't believe I'm the only person who voted Stallone. His appeal lies in watching is movies again and again just to hear what the hell he's talking about." - Kilteh

Powdered Toast Man

Post by Powdered Toast Man » Mon Sep 24, 2007 3:09 pm

How red was your first paper, Linkguy?

RadioShadow

Post by RadioShadow » Tue Sep 25, 2007 2:58 am

Yell 'Objection!' at them. XD

DTaeKim
Star CO
Star CO

Post by DTaeKim » Tue Sep 25, 2007 3:39 am

How about not?
What can change the nature of a man?

Powdered Toast Man

Post by Powdered Toast Man » Tue Sep 25, 2007 3:49 am

Well, last night was fun, granted that I only really sat around, chatted with my mates, and surfed the web but at least I made it through. I still have a bunch of things to take care of first, though (bike registration, =d).

Also, why do laptop screens suddenly brighten up when charging? It's wierd...

thefalman
Star CO
Star CO

Post by thefalman » Tue Sep 25, 2007 4:07 am

Because they automatically switch themselves to a 'Full Power' setting, which is usually brighter than when running off the battery. At least that's what my laptop does anyway.
It took me a solid three minutes to fully comprehend your hair, Fallers. - Deoxy
Yes fal, you've got a good sense of style, you're clean shaven, and the cat on your head dares not move itself.
You look awesome. - Shift Breaker

I swear, you two are the worst couple ever. You've somehow managed to PDA on the internet through text. - Xenesis

ChewyLSB

Post by ChewyLSB » Tue Sep 25, 2007 8:49 am

It's the power settings. By default, it'll be on an "optimized power source" where it uses a minimum amount of CPU power and darkens the screen when running off of the battery and maxes out the screen and CPU when you have it plugged in. You should be able to change it under windows settings or any other third party laptop controller.

Where are you going, anyways?
Image Image
Image Image
XBL/PSN: ChewyLSB
Wii: 5509-1512-4224-3993

Powdered Toast Man

Post by Powdered Toast Man » Tue Sep 25, 2007 9:28 am

University of California Davis or UC Davis.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uc_davis

Powdered Toast Man

Post by Powdered Toast Man » Tue Sep 25, 2007 2:55 pm

I agree. It's a hassle and you really have to plan ahead.

On a side note, I ate cafeteria food for dinner. It wasn't half-bad actually. I wouldn't mind eating it again but I'll have to take a break from it sometime.

Xen

Post by Xen » Tue Sep 25, 2007 4:27 pm

Living at home and attending university at the same time kicks arse.

Linkman
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Linkman » Wed Sep 26, 2007 12:09 am

Powdered Toast Man wrote:How red was your first paper, Linkguy?
Well, I actually did pretty good on my first test, mainly because it was Algebra and rather easy. But my first calc test was rather awful >_>.
"everytime I try to draw xen I end up drawing a kangaroo smoking a cigar while chainsawing a tree" - Deoxy
"I can't believe I'm the only person who voted Stallone. His appeal lies in watching is movies again and again just to hear what the hell he's talking about." - Kilteh

thefalman
Star CO
Star CO

Post by thefalman » Wed Sep 26, 2007 12:34 am

Xen wrote:Living at home and attending university at the same time kicks arse.
I would probably either have killed myself or died of boredom if I'd have stayed in my home town.
It took me a solid three minutes to fully comprehend your hair, Fallers. - Deoxy
Yes fal, you've got a good sense of style, you're clean shaven, and the cat on your head dares not move itself.

I swear, you two are the worst couple ever. You've somehow managed to PDA on the internet through text. - Xenesis

ChewyLSB

Post by ChewyLSB » Wed Sep 26, 2007 1:04 am

Yeah, even if I wasn't two and a half hours away from home right now, I would not want to live from home. I LOVE dorm life, it's probalby my favorite thing about college, and I just love the feeling of it. Plus, I wouldn't be able to meet as many new people if Ididn't live on campus.
Image Image
Image Image

Linkman
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Linkman » Wed Sep 26, 2007 1:23 am

What's the problem with home, you don't like your parents?

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO
3DS Code: 2535-4646-7163

Post by Xenesis » Wed Sep 26, 2007 1:35 am

See, I live like 10-20 minutes from Uni. And Australia doesn't have 'dorms' at uni like you guys do.
IST wrote:Even the worst individual needs to discover the joys of a chicken statue that is also a pregnant blonde housewife.

Terragent

Post by Terragent » Wed Sep 26, 2007 2:00 am

Because let's face it, nobody wants to share sleeping space with a bunch of bogans.

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Xenesis » Wed Sep 26, 2007 2:07 am

My heart is laughing with glee at that thought.
IST wrote:Even the worst individual needs to discover the joys of a chicken statue that is also a pregnant blonde housewife.

Alecat

Post by Alecat » Wed Sep 26, 2007 2:23 am

Terragent wrote:Because let's face it, nobody wants to share sleeping space with a bunch of bogans.
Well, hey, I'd share sleeping space with you :P

Terragent

Post by Terragent » Wed Sep 26, 2007 2:55 am

Bogans don't come into that equation. ;)

Alecat

Post by Alecat » Wed Sep 26, 2007 3:00 am

I was implying... oh, never mind.

Hans Stockmann

Post by Hans Stockmann » Wed Sep 26, 2007 3:01 am

Since I'll probably be going to either City West or Adelaide, looks like the O-bahn'll be the way to go next year.

ChewyLSB

Post by ChewyLSB » Wed Sep 26, 2007 3:47 am

It's mostly just living on my own that I want to get used to - not that I don't like or respect my parents or whatever, I just want to meet new people at college and get used to it.
Image Image
Image Image

Terragent

Post by Terragent » Wed Sep 26, 2007 3:59 am

...you don't need to live with people to meet them.

thefalman
Star CO
Star CO

Post by thefalman » Wed Sep 26, 2007 4:44 am

Linkman wrote:What's the problem with home, you don't like your parents?
Not at all, my parents are ace: But York gets fudge boring after 18 years lol. Hell, I got fed up of it again just living there over the summer.

Joey Chicago
Meteor Striked
Meteor Striked

Post by Joey Chicago » Wed Sep 26, 2007 5:24 am

Terragent wrote:...you don't need to live with people to meet them.
I think that what he means is that he'll be at the campus more often and can therefore have meet people in a larger frame of time.
"Live every week like it's Shark Week." - Tracy Jordan

"And there's a tax on people who smoke tobacco with a bong in public solely to be provocative." - Chris Onstad

i am a heron. i ahev a long neck and i pick fish out of the water w/ my beak. if you dont repost this comment on 10 other pages i will fly into your kitchen tonight and make a mess of your pots and pans

Powdered Toast Man

Post by Powdered Toast Man » Wed Sep 26, 2007 7:09 am

Today I had an amazing experience just exploring the campus on my own and buying groceries on my own. I don't even mind that I haven't been online much today. Asking for help from passersby, doing my own shopping, getting out more often...I'm glad I decided to live on campus.

I think I could live with this style of life.

Bad news is...I woke up late so I got out late and there's a meeting I have to attend at 3pm. I got back at 2:30 so barely enough time for lunch. =( Now I see why our advisors are so obsessed with time management.

Linkman
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Linkman » Wed Sep 26, 2007 10:42 am

See, mothers are great in that sense. They'll kick your ass if you're not up for class.

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Xenesis » Wed Sep 26, 2007 12:01 pm

Actually, my mum has never done that, ever.

But I'm usually good enough at getting up and out for things that it doesn't matter.

Powdered Toast Man

Post by Powdered Toast Man » Wed Sep 26, 2007 1:00 pm

Actually, the earliest class I have is scheduled at 12:10 pm, lol The latest I have is 6:40-8:00.

Also, some dudes from a Christian club on campus are gonna visit my dorm soon so we can chat it up and stuff. My only fear is that most Christian clubs are the nasty kind of fundamentalists or just plain freaky. I pray verily that they are none of the sort. Wish me luck!

Gameshark

Post by Gameshark » Wed Sep 26, 2007 9:04 pm

I've got about 7 different Christian groups at my school.
Christians for Christ
Bible Study
etc etc

Shift Breaker

Post by Shift Breaker » Thu Sep 27, 2007 1:26 am

Powdered Toast Man wrote:Actually, the earliest class I have is scheduled at 12:10 pm, lol The latest I have is 6:40-8:00.

Also, some dudes from a Christian club on campus are gonna visit my dorm soon so we can chat it up and stuff. My only fear is that most Christian clubs are the nasty kind of fundamentalists or just plain freaky. I pray verily that they are none of the sort. Wish me luck!
Teens-4-Christ

>_>
"The part where you all shut up happens now." ~ thefalman
"I actually like to think of myself as a younger, hipper, more alive Nostradamus." ~ Treed
"Shifty, if I wasn't as manly a man as I am, I'd totally ask you out. And hope you'd wear that topless dude to impress me. In another lifetime, perhaps." ~ Nemmy
"Majora's Mask may by the only game I've played where someone was mooning me the entire time and I didn't care." ~ ThrawnFett

Powdered Toast Man

Post by Powdered Toast Man » Thu Sep 27, 2007 4:26 am

Looks like I was wrong...about the whole "meeting" thing. Turns out it was just a small welcoming party handing out cookies and fliers. But, they gave me COOKIES!

Eh...I may as well see what this whole group's about. If I don't like it I can just simply walk away.

Anyway, this new way of life calls for some serious 'Canned Heat'.

thefalman
Star CO
Star CO

Post by thefalman » Thu Sep 27, 2007 5:09 am

Well, as long as they're not as bad as the Christian group I once encountered - returning to my friends' halls of residence after a night out, me and a couple of friends, attracted by the free tea and biscuits being put on by the uni's Christian group, were subsequently told by some guy that if we didn't belive in Christ we were going to burn in hell. Which was nice.

Powdered Toast Man

Post by Powdered Toast Man » Thu Sep 27, 2007 6:56 am

Well, it's not hard to see how they would be overzealous in trying to please their God. In a way they're no different from Muslim extremist groups (or any, for that matter). We'll see how things turn out.

In other news, I just returned from a CAPS (Counseling and Psychological Services) meeting which turned out to be a rather insightful workshop. We had to brainstorm various barriers involving exercise, body image, and eating habits then brainstorm solutions. It felt a tad awkward since I was the only male in attendance (it was a small group and both supervisors were female) but I think I learned a thing or two from it. The supervisors were also quite friendly and helpful.