my life is like mr brightside

WWN's Social Lounge. The place to come and chill out for a relaxed conversation about life and stuff, or some more serious debates.
Shift Breaker

Post by Shift Breaker » Sun Dec 02, 2007 11:12 am

Unakau wrote:
Treedweller wrote:Uh, he has some really good songs if you took the time to listen to him.
While I can certainly see while people like him, I'm just not that into him.

And Bog, if music is completely dependent on talent, then why do The Ramones work as a band?
Song Writing = Talent...to an extent.
Repeatedly Playing a Three-Chord Pattern = Talent...to an extent.
Pretty much starting off the Punk Rock Movement = Talent fo sho.
"The part where you all shut up happens now." ~ thefalman
"I actually like to think of myself as a younger, hipper, more alive Nostradamus." ~ Treed
"Shifty, if I wasn't as manly a man as I am, I'd totally ask you out. And hope you'd wear that topless dude to impress me. In another lifetime, perhaps." ~ Nemmy
"Majora's Mask may by the only game I've played where someone was mooning me the entire time and I didn't care." ~ ThrawnFett

Joey Chicago
Meteor Striked
Meteor Striked

Post by Joey Chicago » Sun Dec 02, 2007 11:12 am

You say that Green Day isn't good because it's easy to play?

Uh, okay, listen to Blitzkrieg Bop. It's even easier to play than effin' Holiday.

Again, I post the following.

5 5 5 5 5 5 5 5 - -
7 7 7 7 7 7 7 7 5 7
- - - - - - - - 7 9
- - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - -

How fudge easy is that? You argue that Green Day is bad partially because their stuff is easy to play, but you then say that The Ramones are good? Uh, okay? HEY BOG, IT'S ABOUT THE SOUND.

Saying that Joey Ramone has a good voice and then saying Billie's sucks is complete crumpets.

Saying that Johnny Ramone is a talented guitarist and saying Billie sucks is complete crumpets.

Even comparing Dee Dee Ramone to Mike Dirnt is complete crumpets.

Marky Ramone is probably not as good as Tre.

Pay attention to how completely and utterly simplye each song is next time you hear The Ramones. They barely have a bone of talent in any of their collective bodies, but they can still make amazing songs.
"Live every week like it's Shark Week." - Tracy Jordan

"And there's a tax on people who smoke tobacco with a bong in public solely to be provocative." - Chris Onstad

i am a heron. i ahev a long neck and i pick fish out of the water w/ my beak. if you dont repost this comment on 10 other pages i will fly into your kitchen tonight and make a mess of your pots and pans

thefalman
Star CO
Star CO

Post by thefalman » Sun Dec 02, 2007 3:00 pm

While I see the point you're trying to make Unakau, to say that The Ramones make 'amazing songs' while simultaneously calling them talentless is somewhat oxymoronic. The Ramones did have talent - that is, a collective talent for writing infectious, upbeat songs.

Basically, I'm nitpicking - when you talk about 'talent', you're really meaning 'technical skill'. Having used that phrase, I'll now go back to mumbling incoherently about Battles.
It took me a solid three minutes to fully comprehend your hair, Fallers. - Deoxy
Yes fal, you've got a good sense of style, you're clean shaven, and the cat on your head dares not move itself.
You look awesome. - Shift Breaker

I swear, you two are the worst couple ever. You've somehow managed to PDA on the internet through text. - Xenesis

Joey Chicago
Meteor Striked
Meteor Striked

Post by Joey Chicago » Sun Dec 02, 2007 3:28 pm

EXACTLY

Bog started right off by saying Green Day was easy to play. I believe that even though songs like Holiday can be played a weak into guitar practice, it remains a great song.

Technical skill means very little! Why do you think I don't like Dragonforce? Because they can't write a great song?

It's not about the technical skill, it's about writing a good song, and I personally believe that Green Day produces great songs, even in their most recent albums.

When I listen to songs like Eruption, I don't say "Oh, that sounds difficult." I say "That sounds amazing."

Just because someone can play the bass does not mean that anyone can pick it up and make a great riff like the one in Longview.

Just because someone can play the drums well does not mean that they can pick up their sticks and make great beats like the ones in Letterbomb.

Just because someone can play the guitar does not mean that they can make great riffs like the ones in Geek Stink Breath.

Green Day is a damn good band, and it is definitely not a laughable idea that someone could like them better than The Ramones.

"And there's a tax on people who smoke tobacco with a bong in public solely to be provocative." - Chris Onstad

i am a heron. i ahev a long neck and i pick fish out of the water w/ my beak. if you dont repost this comment on 10 other pages i will fly into your kitchen tonight and make a mess of your pots and pans

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO
3DS Code: 2535-4646-7163

Post by Xenesis » Sun Dec 02, 2007 3:49 pm

Hey, some of the best sounding songs are simple to play.

Smoke on the Water anyone?
IST wrote:Even the worst individual needs to discover the joys of a chicken statue that is also a pregnant blonde housewife.

Joey Chicago
Meteor Striked
Meteor Striked

Post by Joey Chicago » Sun Dec 02, 2007 3:51 pm

Exactly. Iron Man, Paranoid, Blitzkrieg Bop and Smoke on the Water are all great examples.

Bog
Meteor Striked
Meteor Striked

Post by Bog » Sun Dec 02, 2007 9:53 pm

Easy to play = Normally repetitive. At least, that's true with Green Day.

Seriously, they have the imagination of a peanut.

Shift Breaker

Post by Shift Breaker » Sun Dec 02, 2007 11:07 pm

Xenesis wrote:Hey, some of the best sounding songs are simple to play.

Smoke on the Water anyone?
Highway Star > Smoke On The Water.
"I actually like to think of myself as a younger, hipper, more alive Nostradamus." ~ Treed
"Shifty, if I wasn't as manly a man as I am, I'd totally ask you out. And hope you'd wear that topless dude to impress me. In another lifetime, perhaps." ~ Nemmy
"Majora's Mask may by the only game I've played where someone was mooning me the entire time and I didn't care." ~ ThrawnFett

Joey Chicago
Meteor Striked
Meteor Striked

Post by Joey Chicago » Mon Dec 03, 2007 2:29 am

bog-bog wrote:Easy to play = Normally repetitive. At least, that's true with Green Day.

Apparently, so do Black Sabbath, The Ramones, and Deep Purple.

Bog
Meteor Striked
Meteor Striked

Post by Bog » Mon Dec 03, 2007 8:40 am

IYO

Joey Chicago
Meteor Striked
Meteor Striked

Post by Joey Chicago » Mon Dec 03, 2007 9:32 am

You say repetition leaves no room for creativity.

I say that Paranoid is even more repetetive than Holiday. That doesn't make it a worse song.

Repetition can be used damn well, Bog.

Bog
Meteor Striked
Meteor Striked

Post by Bog » Mon Dec 03, 2007 9:50 am

No, I never said that. Otherwise every song with a chorus I would dislike. >_>

Joey Chicago
Meteor Striked
Meteor Striked

Post by Joey Chicago » Mon Dec 03, 2007 11:03 am

Perhaps you could rephrase this statement.

Powdered Toast Man

Post by Powdered Toast Man » Mon Dec 03, 2007 6:01 pm

nerd-boy wrote:And yet you like Linkin Park.
Linkin Park has talent.

Terragent

Post by Terragent » Mon Dec 03, 2007 6:33 pm

I think that Green Day are a bad band because their songs sound whiny and annoying. Does that count?

Bog
Meteor Striked
Meteor Striked

Post by Bog » Mon Dec 03, 2007 6:41 pm

Unakau wrote:

Perhaps you could rephrase this statement.
Well if a song is repetitive, of course it's going to be easy to play because it's got more of the same notes over and over. >_>

Seriously, use your noggin.

And I agree with Terr somewhat. I like a lot of their earlier stuff. (Slappy Hours is a great album.)

Joey Chicago
Meteor Striked
Meteor Striked

Post by Joey Chicago » Mon Dec 03, 2007 9:59 pm

Terragent wrote:I think that Green Day are a bad band because their songs sound whiny and annoying. Does that count?
The first valid argument against Green Day shows up!

Sven

Post by Sven » Wed Dec 05, 2007 1:15 pm

i thought that was implied the moment one mentions the words green day

Hooded_Miracle

Post by Hooded_Miracle » Wed Dec 05, 2007 1:25 pm

Uh...

Is Green Day whining and Slipknot screaming along the same lines?

I've been wandering that ever since Guitar Hero III. >_>

Joey Chicago
Meteor Striked
Meteor Striked

Post by Joey Chicago » Wed Dec 05, 2007 3:14 pm

Not exactly.

Besides, Slipknot is, in my honest opinion, absolutely terrible. They do have a kickass drummer, though.

Treedweller

Post by Treedweller » Wed Dec 05, 2007 4:11 pm

Slipknot is about as good as Cannibal Corpse.

McTool

Post by McTool » Wed Dec 05, 2007 11:36 pm

Slipknot is about as good as Job for a Cowboy.
Make good choices

Joey Chicago
Meteor Striked
Meteor Striked

Post by Joey Chicago » Fri Dec 07, 2007 6:59 am

It definitely depends on what you mean when you say metal.

McTool

Post by McTool » Fri Dec 07, 2007 7:59 am

Shut up, Symphony X and Powerglove will tag team to rock your face to death.
Make good choices

Powdered Toast Man

Post by Powdered Toast Man » Fri Dec 07, 2007 9:36 am

Deoxy wrote:All metal bands are bad because music isn't supposed to be painful to your ears.
Yeah when anything is played at full volume it definitely hurts your ears. Metal is meant to listened to at a high volume because of it's aggressive, intense, and ridiculously fast-paced instrumentation. It's perfect for just rocking out to let go of all your pent up rage and frustration or when you're in a "heavy" mood.
Last edited by Powdered Toast Man on Sun Dec 09, 2007 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bog
Meteor Striked
Meteor Striked

Post by Bog » Sat Dec 08, 2007 5:55 am

Slipknot? "Screamo"?

They only "scream" in about a third of their songs. I like "screamo". I think it's like opera - you need to have an ear for it.

And, while I dislike the lyrics to a lot of their music, I like the sound.

Bog
Meteor Striked
Meteor Striked

Post by Bog » Sat Dec 08, 2007 9:53 am

Metal is a generalisation.

McTool

Post by McTool » Sat Dec 08, 2007 10:08 am

Exactly. I hate metal like Slipknot. Metalcore, nu metal, doom metal and other stuff of that ilk just doesn't do it for me.

I love just about every other kind of metal to death, especially prog. Dream Theater and Symphony X are quite possibly two of my favorite bands ever. Hell, Symphony X is my favorite band ever.
Make good choices

SJCrew

Post by SJCrew » Sat Dec 08, 2007 6:36 pm

bog-bog wrote:Metal is a generalisation.
fudge what

make more sense, sir
Hi, I play DoR PM me for a match.

PSN: the_sjcrew

Playing: Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3. Friend me if you want to join my lobbies and/or compete!

The Saffron Emperor

Post by The Saffron Emperor » Sat Dec 08, 2007 7:40 pm

Anybody want a peanut?
Deoxy wrote:All metal bands are bad because music isn't supposed to be painful to your ears.
Tell that to Opera.

What was this thread originally about?
--
Haha! They call me "Saffron."

Hans Stockmann

Post by Hans Stockmann » Sat Dec 08, 2007 7:42 pm

Sven making his life like the lyrics of a song. You know, like how we should all totally be making our lives like Rap is the Language of a Man's Soul! ...wait, is my Rap Acceptable or What?.

The Saffron Emperor

Post by The Saffron Emperor » Sat Dec 08, 2007 7:47 pm

thank you for saving me the trouble of clicking a link.

Sven should just stick with Istanbul and he'd be kosher.
--
Haha! They call me "Saffron."

Bog
Meteor Striked
Meteor Striked

Post by Bog » Sun Dec 09, 2007 1:09 am

SJCrew wrote:
bog-bog wrote:Metal is a generalisation.
fudge what

make more sense, sir
Well, it is. Like every other genre. There's different types of rap, rock, metal, RnB, etc.

Calling a song "metal" could mean anything. (Well, not anything, but you know what I mean.)

Joey Chicago
Meteor Striked
Meteor Striked

Post by Joey Chicago » Sun Dec 09, 2007 10:59 am

Deoxy wrote:anyone who rushes to the defense of metal music is quite messed up in the head

probably because of all that metal
Black Sabbath, Ozzy Osboune, Quiet Riot, and Iron Maiden would definitely like a word with you.
Last edited by Joey Chicago on Sun Dec 09, 2007 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Shift Breaker

Post by Shift Breaker » Sun Dec 09, 2007 11:09 am

Ironed Maidens are a good band, but I prefer Blackened Sabbaths

Joey Chicago
Meteor Striked
Meteor Striked

Post by Joey Chicago » Sun Dec 09, 2007 11:49 am

I need to start taking the time to look over my posts. >_<

Shift Breaker

Post by Shift Breaker » Sun Dec 09, 2007 11:53 am

The delete button would be a better idea.

Y'know, just a hint. Just kidding. Not. [size=0]Not >_>[/size]
Last edited by Shift Breaker on Sun Dec 09, 2007 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

onewaystreet

Post by onewaystreet » Sun Dec 09, 2007 11:59 am

Shifty wrote:Y'know, just a hint. [size=0]Just kidding.[size]
Someone fails.
thefalman wrote:Honestly, just when I thought we could all have a nice topic about mocking ridiculously, overly hardcore fundamentalists, it has to turn into a religious debate.

You bastards.
thefalman wrote:
RadioShadow wrote:Including having SEX? :o
I know it's an alien concept to you RS, but there's no need to act so surprised.

Shift Breaker

Post by Shift Breaker » Sun Dec 09, 2007 12:02 pm

SPECTACULARLY.

Bog
Meteor Striked
Meteor Striked

Post by Bog » Sun Dec 09, 2007 9:53 pm

You forgot Metallica.