Porque no te callas??

WWN's Social Lounge. The place to come and chill out for a relaxed conversation about life and stuff, or some more serious debates.
Shift Breaker

Post by Shift Breaker » Tue Nov 20, 2007 3:40 am

lolchav
"The part where you all shut up happens now." ~ thefalman
"I actually like to think of myself as a younger, hipper, more alive Nostradamus." ~ Treed
"Shifty, if I wasn't as manly a man as I am, I'd totally ask you out. And hope you'd wear that topless dude to impress me. In another lifetime, perhaps." ~ Nemmy
"Majora's Mask may by the only game I've played where someone was mooning me the entire time and I didn't care." ~ ThrawnFett

Linkman
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Linkman » Tue Nov 20, 2007 12:08 pm

Yo Nem, long time no see bud!
"everytime I try to draw xen I end up drawing a kangaroo smoking a cigar while chainsawing a tree" - Deoxy
"I can't believe I'm the only person who voted Stallone. His appeal lies in watching is movies again and again just to hear what the hell he's talking about." - Kilteh

FormicHiveQueen

Re: I study this, so I'm right.

Post by FormicHiveQueen » Sun Nov 25, 2007 3:10 pm

Nembras the wisearse wrote:Sorry to pick this up again, but since everyone keeps talking about languages instead of Chavez, I guess I'm not bothering anyone with this.
FormicHiveQueen wrote:In the Mexican dialect, which is the one I know, it's not a tilde, it's an accent, or "acento". ~ is a tilde. ` is an acento.
Let's consult the ultimate authority in spanish, shall we? (If you're too lazy to read the whoile thing, or don't understand spanish, just skip the quotes.)
RAE's definition of tilde wrote:1. amb. Virgulilla o rasgo que se pone sobre algunas abreviaturas, el que lleva la ñ, y cualquier otro signo que sirva para distinguir una letra de otra o denotar su acentuación. U. m. en f.
RAE's definition of acento wrote:1. m. Relieve que en la pronunciación se da a una sílaba de la palabra, distinguiéndola de las demás por una mayor intensidad o por un tono más alto.

2. m. Tilde, rayita oblicua que en la ortografía española vigente baja de derecha a izquierda de quien escribe o lee. Se usa para indicar en determinados casos la mayor fuerza espiratoria de la sílaba cuya vocal la lleva, p. ej., cámara, símbolo, útil, allá, salió; y también para distinguir una palabra o forma de otra escrita con iguales letras, p. ej., sólo, adverbio, frente a solo, adjetivo; o con ambos fines a la vez, p. ej., tomó frente a tomo; él, pronombre personal, frente a el, artículo.
To make it simple, both are right. A tilde can be both ~ and ´. And "acento" refers to the placing of the voice upon a specific syllable of a word as well as to the orthographical sign to mark that vocal weight in certain cases.
For the love of God give it a rest already.

Terragent

Post by Terragent » Sun Nov 25, 2007 6:28 pm

...a rather odd response.

Hans Stockmann

Post by Hans Stockmann » Mon Nov 26, 2007 5:27 pm

FHQ doesn't realise that sarcasm doesn't exist in text.