Shut the fudge up about religion!

WWN's Social Lounge. The place to come and chill out for a relaxed conversation about life and stuff, or some more serious debates.
Sapphire_Flame

Shut the fudge up about religion!

Post by Sapphire_Flame » Sun Dec 02, 2007 9:08 am

This essay is mainly directed at the pointless and silly Bog/GS feud going on in pretty much EVERY SINGLE DAMN TOPIC!

Seriously, people. What on Earth compels people to debate pointlessly over religion? It's a matter of FAITH. That means that no matter what you do, you can't ever actually disprove or prove religion. What atheists may not understand is that religion ISN'T science. This doesn't mean it's wrong, but it can't ever be proven right. I've heard people say some really, really vile things, mostly coming from- ironically- the atheist side, but guess what? It just makes you look like an asshole. Religion is a personal choice. Now, this doesn't mean religion is stupid. It just means that it mainly relies on individual experience. Until a scientist comes up with a god-sensing device, guess what? YOU CAN'T PROVE ANYTHING!

Allow me to bring up the subject of the Bible. Ah, yes, the tool so often misused. It's fairly obvious we can't take the Bible as the literal word of God, or else we'd run into some fairly obvious problems. If we assume the Bible is open to interpretation, then that means that everyone can come away with a different interpretation. This means that if we assume the Bible is true, then you still might be wrong. Guess what? ARGUING ISN'T GOING TO PROVE ANYTHING!

Another point I'd like to make is whether religion can coexist with science. The answer is: are you insane? Of course they can! Creation is very, very easily disproven anyways, and plenty of Christians believe otherwise. That's not really something I'm gonna touch on. But what about stem cells, you may ask? Stem cells aren't a religious issue, it's a moral issue of whether it's worth killing unborn babies. Sure, some Christians are very staunchly opposed to it, but so are many Atheists. Since stem cells aren't a religious issue anyway, why discuss it?

Arguing about religion is pointless, so why discuss it? Religion is so varied that any accusation you make against it isn't exactly going to fly. It's just like any generalization, it won't work under close scrutiny. If you can't argue about the merits of the religion or the merits of the followers, what can you argue about? The existence of God? It's impossible to prove or disprove the existence of God. You can only argue from personal experience. If you have a relationship with Christ, you can't prove what you experienced is real, but you sure are going to believe he's real.

Feel free to make criticisms. I'd love to answer individual questions.

Shift Breaker

Post by Shift Breaker » Sun Dec 02, 2007 9:10 am

I love you and want your babies.

But first, to prove your love for me, you must convert to googlism for me.
"The part where you all shut up happens now." ~ thefalman
"I actually like to think of myself as a younger, hipper, more alive Nostradamus." ~ Treed
"Shifty, if I wasn't as manly a man as I am, I'd totally ask you out. And hope you'd wear that topless dude to impress me. In another lifetime, perhaps." ~ Nemmy
"Majora's Mask may by the only game I've played where someone was mooning me the entire time and I didn't care." ~ ThrawnFett

Shift Breaker

Re: Shut the fudge up about religion!

Post by Shift Breaker » Sun Dec 02, 2007 9:11 am

Sapphire_Flame wrote:Another point I'd like to make is whether religion can coexist with science.
Also, may I be the first to say ANTI-MATTER IN THE VATICAN
"I actually like to think of myself as a younger, hipper, more alive Nostradamus." ~ Treed
"Shifty, if I wasn't as manly a man as I am, I'd totally ask you out. And hope you'd wear that topless dude to impress me. In another lifetime, perhaps." ~ Nemmy
"Majora's Mask may by the only game I've played where someone was mooning me the entire time and I didn't care." ~ ThrawnFett

thefalman
Star CO
Star CO

Post by thefalman » Sun Dec 02, 2007 9:14 am

Sounds like a parody of a Sex Pistols song.
It took me a solid three minutes to fully comprehend your hair, Fallers. - Deoxy
Yes fal, you've got a good sense of style, you're clean shaven, and the cat on your head dares not move itself.
You look awesome. - Shift Breaker

I swear, you two are the worst couple ever. You've somehow managed to PDA on the internet through text. - Xenesis

Shift Breaker

Post by Shift Breaker » Sun Dec 02, 2007 9:22 am

IIIII AM AAA SCIENTIIIIST
IIIII'M NOT A SOCIALIIIST
BIIIIUT IIII STIIIILL PRAISE GOD
AND WAAAANT UUUUUUS TO WORK TOGETHER
AND OH YEAH MAN, I LOOK GOOD IN LEATHER

Hooded_Miracle

Post by Hooded_Miracle » Sun Dec 02, 2007 9:48 am

I bet ya within 20 posts this'll be a religious debate.

Just you wait.

Shift Breaker

Post by Shift Breaker » Sun Dec 02, 2007 9:55 am

no u

Treedweller

Post by Treedweller » Sun Dec 02, 2007 10:05 am

You guys keep adding fuel to the fire. Good job.

Kireato

Post by Kireato » Sun Dec 02, 2007 10:19 am

Nah, it's more like water on burning oil.
"Hey, it's the Kir. Wee." - Linkman 145
"I can't help myself sometimes... :cry:" -Help Topic Guest

Joey Chicago
Meteor Striked
Meteor Striked

Post by Joey Chicago » Sun Dec 02, 2007 10:47 am

Treedweller wrote:You guys keep adding fuel to the fire. Good job.
That's exactly what I was thinking.
"Live every week like it's Shark Week." - Tracy Jordan

"And there's a tax on people who smoke tobacco with a bong in public solely to be provocative." - Chris Onstad

i am a heron. i ahev a long neck and i pick fish out of the water w/ my beak. if you dont repost this comment on 10 other pages i will fly into your kitchen tonight and make a mess of your pots and pans

Bog
Meteor Striked
Meteor Striked

Re: Shut the fudge up about religion!

Post by Bog » Sun Dec 02, 2007 10:59 am

Firstly, GS stfu'd earlier after me pummeling him into submission with mere text. Get with the times, man.
Sapphire_Flame wrote:This essay is mainly directed at the pointless and silly Bog/GS feud going on in pretty much EVERY SINGLE DAMN TOPIC!
Blame GS.
Seriously, people. What on Earth compels people to debate pointlessly over religion?
Because, well, y'know, pretty much all politics today has it's roots in religion.
It's a matter of FAITH. That means that no matter what you do, you can't ever actually disprove or prove religion.
Actually, you can, in a way. Depends what you call "proving". Seriously, if you'd seen half the stuff I've seen....
What atheists may not understand is that religion ISN'T science. This doesn't mean it's wrong, but it can't ever be proven right.
Religion and science can and do coexist.
I've heard people say some really, really vile things, mostly coming from- ironically- the atheist side, but guess what? It just makes you look like an asshole.
GS, listen.
Until a scientist comes up with a god-sensing device, guess what? YOU CAN'T PROVE ANYTHING!
Yes, you can.
Allow me to bring up the subject of the Bible. Ah, yes, the tool so often misused. It's fairly obvious we can't take the Bible as the literal word of God, or else we'd run into some fairly obvious problems.
Fundamentalists would disagree with you.
If we assume the Bible is open to interpretation, then that means that everyone can come away with a different interpretation. This means that if we assume the Bible is true, then you still might be wrong. Guess what? ARGUING ISN'T GOING TO PROVE ANYTHING!
Well, GS refuses to even use the Bible in his "debates", so I don't know why you even brought it up. Even so, you can still debate it's meaning.
Another point I'd like to make is whether religion can coexist with science. The answer is: are you insane? Of course they can! Creation is very, very easily disproven anyways, and plenty of Christians believe otherwise.
Yes and no. I personally believe that God caused the Big Bang to happen, and made the world in 7 "Heaven days".
That's not really something I'm gonna touch on.
Good.
Arguing about religion is pointless, so why discuss it?
See above. Religion is the root of pretty much every problem in the world today.
It's impossible to prove or disprove the existence of God.
Wrong, kinda. You have to define "God" first.
You can only argue from personal experience.
That, and millions of testimonies.
If you have a relationship with Christ, you can't prove what you experienced is real, but you sure are going to believe he's real.
There's actually hard concrete evidence for the existence and ressurection of Jesus. Moreso than the existence of Julius Caesar, in fact.

Hooded_Miracle

Post by Hooded_Miracle » Sun Dec 02, 2007 11:03 am

SEE, SEE!? Religious debate!

It was only in half my prediction, though. Still, I was right!

Treedweller

Post by Treedweller » Sun Dec 02, 2007 11:13 am

Guess I'll have to tune in on Tuesday.

Shift Breaker

Post by Shift Breaker » Sun Dec 02, 2007 11:14 am

I'm setting it on record.

Joey Chicago
Meteor Striked
Meteor Striked

Post by Joey Chicago » Sun Dec 02, 2007 11:16 am

I'd definitely watch it now that House is on break.

"And there's a tax on people who smoke tobacco with a bong in public solely to be provocative." - Chris Onstad

i am a heron. i ahev a long neck and i pick fish out of the water w/ my beak. if you dont repost this comment on 10 other pages i will fly into your kitchen tonight and make a mess of your pots and pans

Linkman
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Linkman » Sun Dec 02, 2007 11:17 am

bog wrote:Yes and no. I personally believe that God caused the Big Bang to happen, and made the world in 7 "Heaven days".
10 bucks says bog doesn't know what the heck is the Big Bang.

20 bucks says GS doesn't either, but will still come here and debate about it.
"everytime I try to draw xen I end up drawing a kangaroo smoking a cigar while chainsawing a tree" - Deoxy
"I can't believe I'm the only person who voted Stallone. His appeal lies in watching is movies again and again just to hear what the hell he's talking about." - Kilteh

Shift Breaker

Post by Shift Breaker » Sun Dec 02, 2007 11:43 am

30 of your american dollars that GS makes a sex joke about the "Big Bang"

Treedweller

Post by Treedweller » Sun Dec 02, 2007 11:45 am

3000 says that watching Futurama is far more enjoyable than watching the two go back and forth.

Hooded_Miracle

Post by Hooded_Miracle » Sun Dec 02, 2007 11:48 am

9001 says that Barney is more educational than their ranting.

Treedweller

Post by Treedweller » Sun Dec 02, 2007 11:49 am

Deoxy wrote:that's not a fair bet, treed
But I need 3000 :(

Joey Chicago
Meteor Striked
Meteor Striked

Post by Joey Chicago » Sun Dec 02, 2007 11:50 am

10,000 says that Bog will take GS's trolling seriously sometime in the future and idiocy will ensue from both parties.

Shift Breaker

Post by Shift Breaker » Sun Dec 02, 2007 11:51 am

Treedweller wrote:3000 says that watching Futurama is far more enjoyable than watching the two go back and forth.
4000 that Blackadder: Back and Forth was an enjoyable Millennium special of a classic British comedy show.

Powdered Toast Man

Post by Powdered Toast Man » Sun Dec 02, 2007 11:56 am

My toughts on the topic from reading the title and skipping the first post:

It's GS trolling and Bog feeding him. 'Nuff said.

Linkman
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Linkman » Sun Dec 02, 2007 12:00 pm

Treedweller wrote:3000 says that watching Futurama is far more enjoyable than watching the two go back and forth.
If stupid Fox would stop airing the same damn season over and over.
"everytime I try to draw xen I end up drawing a kangaroo smoking a cigar while chainsawing a tree" - Deoxy
"I can't believe I'm the only person who voted Stallone. His appeal lies in watching is movies again and again just to hear what the hell he's talking about." - Kilteh

Joey Chicago
Meteor Striked
Meteor Striked

Post by Joey Chicago » Sun Dec 02, 2007 12:01 pm

Comedy Central is picking the show up.

Also, they just released a Futurama movie on DVD.

Treedweller

Post by Treedweller » Sun Dec 02, 2007 12:01 pm

My channels are airing them in sequential order right from the beginning, so I don't have to watch the same season over and over ^_^

Linkman
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Linkman » Sun Dec 02, 2007 12:03 pm

Unakau wrote:Comedy Central is picking the show up.

Also, they just released a Futurama movie on DVD.
There's no Comedy Central here, and our Fox is actually a cable version made for Latin American audiences. But seriously, I must've seen the Hypnotoad episode about 6 times now.

Shift Breaker

Post by Shift Breaker » Sun Dec 02, 2007 12:24 pm

Linkman wrote:But seriously, I must've seen the Hypnotoad episode about 6 times now.
Yeah. that series show's been in decline since series 3.

FormicHiveQueen

Post by FormicHiveQueen » Sun Dec 02, 2007 1:37 pm

Five bucks says bog will continue to blame other people for the sh*t he starts.

...okay you can stop giving me that look now.

Hooded_Miracle

Post by Hooded_Miracle » Sun Dec 02, 2007 1:40 pm

Wait, are we betting actual MONEY now?

A dollar says other people will be betting money, too.

I'ma GENIOUS!

Joey Chicago
Meteor Striked
Meteor Striked

Post by Joey Chicago » Sun Dec 02, 2007 1:57 pm

I'ma GENIOUS!
Heh.

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO
3DS Code: 2535-4646-7163

Post by Xenesis » Sun Dec 02, 2007 3:18 pm

Treedweller wrote:My channels are airing them in sequential order right from the beginning, so I don't have to watch the same season over and over ^_^
I just have the entire collection on DVD. Problem solved. :P
IST wrote:Even the worst individual needs to discover the joys of a chicken statue that is also a pregnant blonde housewife.

Joey Chicago
Meteor Striked
Meteor Striked

Post by Joey Chicago » Sun Dec 02, 2007 3:28 pm

So do I. I couldn't resist. >_<

Now I just need to pick up the new movie.

Bog
Meteor Striked
Meteor Striked

Post by Bog » Sun Dec 02, 2007 9:48 pm

Linkman wrote:
bog wrote:Yes and no. I personally believe that God caused the Big Bang to happen, and made the world in 7 "Heaven days".
10 bucks says bog doesn't know what the heck is the Big Bang.
This is a very basic and crude description, but here we go. In the beginning, there was nothing but a tiny dot called the Space Time Singularity. The dot exploded (Big bang) and sent matter flying out with it. The universe is still expanding from the explosion today.

Cough up.

onewaystreet

Post by onewaystreet » Mon Dec 03, 2007 12:41 am

Why don't you shut up, bog?
thefalman wrote:Honestly, just when I thought we could all have a nice topic about mocking ridiculously, overly hardcore fundamentalists, it has to turn into a religious debate.

You bastards.
thefalman wrote:
RadioShadow wrote:Including having SEX? :o
I know it's an alien concept to you RS, but there's no need to act so surprised.

Treedweller

Post by Treedweller » Mon Dec 03, 2007 1:12 am

Xenesis wrote:
Treedweller wrote:My channels are airing them in sequential order right from the beginning, so I don't have to watch the same season over and over ^_^
I just have the entire collection on DVD. Problem solved. :P
I hate you, I only have season 4 ;_;

Hooded_Miracle

Post by Hooded_Miracle » Mon Dec 03, 2007 5:10 am

I misspelled Genius.

Fudging grand.

Well, whatever. I made Unakau laugh for once. That probably ain't worth much, though. :/

Bog
Meteor Striked
Meteor Striked

Post by Bog » Mon Dec 03, 2007 8:40 am

nerd-boy wrote:Why don't you shut up, bog?
You're just angry that I'm right. :P

Linkman
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Linkman » Mon Dec 03, 2007 9:50 am

bog-bog wrote:
Linkman wrote: 10 bucks says bog doesn't know what the heck is the Big Bang.
This is a very basic and crude description, but here we go. In the beginning, there was nothing but a tiny dot called the Space Time Singularity. The dot exploded (Big bang) and sent matter flying out with it. The universe is still expanding from the explosion today.

Cough up.
A little basic, but I'll take it. I owe you 10 bucks.

Bog
Meteor Striked
Meteor Striked

Post by Bog » Mon Dec 03, 2007 9:57 am

^_^