Ready. Steady. COOK!

WWN's Social Lounge. The place to come and chill out for a relaxed conversation about life and stuff, or some more serious debates.
Bog
Meteor Striked
Meteor Striked

Ready. Steady. COOK!

Post by Bog » Tue Dec 11, 2007 9:09 pm

When I get home from college in the afternoon, I'll sometimes due at work 2 hours later. I need to eat. I'm sick of pratically living on Pot Noodles. Thus, I need something relativly tasty and nutrutious that I can whip up in 30 minutes or less. It's also got to be quick and easy to eat.

There are a few limitations. No mince meat. I hate the stuff. Also, no fried stuff because it's hard to clean the pan when I'm in a hurry.

Nembras

Post by Nembras » Tue Dec 11, 2007 10:25 pm

Rice with tuna. Add mayo, lemon, carrots and/or other stuff you come up with on the way.
"Screw the girlfriend! Well, not literally... well, maybe literally, but more importantly, metaphorically!" - PK, Master of Metaphors
I sig'd Kilty's comeback! (<- click here)

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO
3DS Code: 2535-4646-7163

Post by Xenesis » Tue Dec 11, 2007 10:30 pm

Xen's list of quick snacks of doom:

1) Cheese Toasties - Pretty straightforward, get two slices of bread, put cheese and any other optional stuff (Ham, tomato, pineapple, corn, baked beans, etc.) in there. Toast. Works best if you have a sandwich toaster, but I've found from past experience that using either a frying pan or a toaster works really well too...and if you use the pan it doesn't really need to be cleaned unless your sandwich explodes.

2) Pita Breads - Get yourself some pita breads and cut a small sliver out. Fill with some meat (like cold cuts) of some description and stuff some lettuce, tomato, whatever salady things you like in there.

3) Doorstops - See 1, except grilled in the oven. And with one slice of bread instead of two.

4) Homemade Pizza - You can either make the bases yourself if you have a bit of free time, or you can use large pita bread or premade pizza bases. Just get some tomato paste or pasta sauce and spread it over the pizza. Cover it with some good pizza cheese (Either Mozzarella or Tasty works), and put some nice toppings on. As healthy as you make it.

5) Rice - Just boil some up and put something like butter, tomato sauce or soy sauce through it. If that's a little plain you can mix veggies like corn, broccoli and peas into it, or you can include some meat like ham or chicken in it (But you'll probably have to quickly fry it...which I know you're not fond of). Goes well with other things too.

6) Fruit Salad - Yes, seriously. Gather all the juicy fruit you have, chop it up into bite-sized pieces, chuck it into a bowl and sprinkle a little sugar on top. It's better if you let it sit overnight but it's still delicious straight away. Watermelon is highly recommended in this.

7) Soup - Cooking yourself a small pot of soup doesn't really take that long. You can put some noodles in it as well to add some filling to it.

That's enough ideas for now. :P
IST wrote:Even the worst individual needs to discover the joys of a chicken statue that is also a pregnant blonde housewife.

Terragent

Post by Terragent » Tue Dec 11, 2007 10:31 pm

Pizza. Seriously. It takes a while if you make your own dough, but at least here in Australia you can get halfway decent premade bases (without toppings or anything like that) for very little.

Get a base, put tomato paste on it (with a little oregano if you swing that way), throw on extras to taste. I personally go for something fairly plain, usually just diced onion with a bit of ham and salami. But you're in charge of that, so the sky's the limit. Put cheese on top (mozarella or a blended 'pizza cheese' is best, but even cheddar will do in a pinch) and you're good to go. Preparation is 20 minutes at most, cooking time is five to ten minutes in an oven preheated to 230°C.

EDIT: Now that I think about it, macaroni cheese. Takes about an hour and a half to do, but it lasts several meals and reheats really well in a microwave. Make a white sauce, add cooked macaroni and a bucketload of cheese and mix up. Put it in a flat oven dish and cover with a bit more cheese, give it about half an hour at 180-200°C. Bloody fantastic when done properly.

Bog
Meteor Striked
Meteor Striked

Post by Bog » Wed Dec 12, 2007 3:45 am

Cheers. You've given me loads of ideas now. I'm going to invest in a sandwhich toaster. <3

Quick question for Terr. What's 230C in gas mark?

thefalman
Star CO
Star CO

Post by thefalman » Wed Dec 12, 2007 3:54 am

Gas Mark 8.

Handy conversion guide here.
It took me a solid three minutes to fully comprehend your hair, Fallers. - Deoxy
Yes fal, you've got a good sense of style, you're clean shaven, and the cat on your head dares not move itself.
You look awesome. - Shift Breaker

I swear, you two are the worst couple ever. You've somehow managed to PDA on the internet through text. - Xenesis

Treedweller

Post by Treedweller » Wed Dec 12, 2007 4:54 am

Chicken breast is incredibly easy to cook in under 30 minutes (not to mention a much healthier meat than pork or beef) so long as you have one in the fridge or defrosted from the freezer. In five easy Treedized steps!

1. While your oven is preheating at 400°F (200°C), take a baking pan and a large piece of a foil placed on top the baking pan, and place a small amount of olive oil inside the foil.

2. Place your chicken inside the foil, and make a small incision in the middle of the breast with a sharp knife, where you can stuff a little bit of garlic or chives (whichever makes you happier, I suppose), and then chop up a small amount of vegetables (Shitake mushrooms, peppers, and/or chopped carrots work well), and then spice the chicken as you please (I recommend black pepper, rosemary, or a touch of seasoning salt).

3. 'Lift' the foil up so no fluids leak onto the baking pan, and put a very small amount of water in with the chicken; this helps keep it moist and helps it cook more evenly.

4. Wrap the foil around the chicken and vegetables, careful to ensure none of it's exposed. Place it in the preheated oven on the baking pan for around 20 minutes (a touch longer won't ruin it either).

5. Enjoy! I like to make a nice salad on the side while it's in the oven, or sometimes rice/pasta if I'm in the mood, but whatever works for you is obviously going to be best. I guess this more a dinner than a snack, but it's easy to clean up (throw away the foil after you're done, and that's it) and very filling.

Shift Breaker

Post by Shift Breaker » Wed Dec 12, 2007 5:10 am

Toast a la Butter
"The part where you all shut up happens now." ~ thefalman
"I actually like to think of myself as a younger, hipper, more alive Nostradamus." ~ Treed
"Shifty, if I wasn't as manly a man as I am, I'd totally ask you out. And hope you'd wear that topless dude to impress me. In another lifetime, perhaps." ~ Nemmy
"Majora's Mask may by the only game I've played where someone was mooning me the entire time and I didn't care." ~ ThrawnFett

Linkman
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Linkman » Wed Dec 12, 2007 5:43 am

White sauce spaghetti/maccaroni doesn't do it for me. I prefer bolognese sauce.

Or, failing that, cook the pasta as usual and after you drain it, fry up some garlic, then throw your drained pasta on the pan and give it a lightning-quick fry (the garlic's already done, after all.) Delicious, and very quick.

My favourite comes back to the good ol' rice and beans. Or maybe if you're cooking beef/pork in the oven, get some of the meat juice and use it to season mashed potatoes. Yum, my mouth's getting watery.
"everytime I try to draw xen I end up drawing a kangaroo smoking a cigar while chainsawing a tree" - Deoxy
"I can't believe I'm the only person who voted Stallone. His appeal lies in watching is movies again and again just to hear what the hell he's talking about." - Kilteh

Sven

Post by Sven » Wed Dec 12, 2007 7:16 am

eggs a la sven

take coffee cup
take egg
crack egg into coffee cup
mix egg around
put into microwave on high for 1:30
take egg out of cup and onto plate
enjoy

Treedweller

Post by Treedweller » Wed Dec 12, 2007 7:54 am

That sounds very disgusting and college-like.

Hans Stockmann

Post by Hans Stockmann » Wed Dec 12, 2007 8:02 am

As the son of the man who has mastered every damn egg method conceivable, I can safely say that Sven fails at egg-fu.

If you wish to fry up some eggs, first make sure to keep the frying pan at about three quarters. Crack the egg open and let it cook for a bit. When it's mostly cooked, take the pan off the heat and cover with a lid for about a minute. Bingo, nicely done egg.
For extra win, fry up some tomato and zucchini if you so desire. Add spices as desired.

Sven

Post by Sven » Wed Dec 12, 2007 8:49 am

my egg is best

Terragent

Post by Terragent » Wed Dec 12, 2007 11:14 am

Linkman wrote:White sauce spaghetti/maccaroni doesn't do it for me. I prefer bolognese sauce.
Yeah, but a good bolognese takes at least an hour and a half to cook.

Hmm, if you don't mind getting messy then there's fish cakes, too.

Take a can of tuna, three or four potatoes, two eggs, a little milk, some flour and some breadcrumbs. Boil & mash the potatoes, drain the brine or oil from the tuna, then mix the tuna and potatoes. Add one egg and mix again. Put the flour on a plate and the breadcrumbs on another one. Put the last egg in a bowl and beat it until the yolk's all mixed in, then add a little milk (it's like you're making scrambled eggs but without cooking them).

Now comes the messy part (it helps to wash your hands directly before this, as stuff won't stick to them as much): Get a roughly tennis-ball-sized bit of the tuna/potato mixture and shape it into a fat cylinder (or whatever works, really). Roll it around in the flour to make sure it's coated, dip it in the egg/milk mix, then roll it in the breadcrumbs. Repeat until there's no more of the mixture.

Keep them refrigerated until you need to cook them, then fry them (you need a lot of oil, as the breadcrumbs and flour will absorb a lot of it). They're not bad by themselves as a quick snack, and the best part is that they're also fine as part of a main meal - just cook some veggies and you've got yourself a decent dinner!

Linkman
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Linkman » Wed Dec 12, 2007 11:22 am

Really? I manage to do it in half an hour, though I do use those season packs to save myself the trouble.
"everytime I try to draw xen I end up drawing a kangaroo smoking a cigar while chainsawing a tree" - Deoxy
"I can't believe I'm the only person who voted Stallone. His appeal lies in watching is movies again and again just to hear what the hell he's talking about." - Kilteh

Xen

Post by Xen » Wed Dec 12, 2007 11:27 am

I'd trust John on this one.

He's the bolognese master.

Terragent

Post by Terragent » Wed Dec 12, 2007 11:40 am

I dunno how you go about doing it, but wouldn't it need some time to simmer? Unless you're one of those crazy "Tomato-paste-what-is-this?" people. <_<

Linkman
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Linkman » Wed Dec 12, 2007 11:51 am

Well yeah, but an hour and a half? Are you cooking frozen meat?

Terragent

Post by Terragent » Wed Dec 12, 2007 12:08 pm

No, I'm letting the flavour cook through.

Linkman
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Linkman » Wed Dec 12, 2007 2:04 pm

:roll: Well, turns out great over here.

Alecat

Post by Alecat » Wed Dec 12, 2007 4:11 pm

He cannot be a bolognese master if he's scared of mushrooms.

Also, it's occurred to me that you're all a bunch of women. But I won't complain, food is good.

Xen

Post by Xen » Wed Dec 12, 2007 4:19 pm

Alecat wrote:He cannot be a bolognese master if he's scared of mushrooms.
While not necessary for bolognese, I will admit mushrooms are awesome.
Also, it's occurred to me that you're all a bunch of women. But I won't complain, food is good.
No, we're just not useless at fending for ourselves.

thefalman
Star CO
Star CO

Post by thefalman » Wed Dec 12, 2007 4:21 pm

I don't think I've ever seen a woman complain about having a man that can cook.

Unfortunately, my skills are rather rudimentary, and my 'quick dish' of choice is a bacon sandwich (which obviously involves frying). So I guess I'm not much use here. :P
It took me a solid three minutes to fully comprehend your hair, Fallers. - Deoxy
Yes fal, you've got a good sense of style, you're clean shaven, and the cat on your head dares not move itself.
You look awesome. - Shift Breaker

I swear, you two are the worst couple ever. You've somehow managed to PDA on the internet through text. - Xenesis

Alecat

Post by Alecat » Wed Dec 12, 2007 4:27 pm

Oh, no, no. I'm not complaining. Except maybe about the fact that you insensitive jerks have made me feel completely incompetent.

THANKS GUYS.

Xen

Post by Xen » Wed Dec 12, 2007 5:50 pm

Alecat wrote:Oh, no, no. I'm not complaining. Except maybe about the fact that you insensitive jerks have made me feel completely incompetent.

THANKS GUYS.
Just get John to teach you. <_<

Hans Stockmann

Post by Hans Stockmann » Thu Dec 13, 2007 8:20 am

Well, we were out of pizza base last night so I had to pull out an old scone-base recpite. It works quite well, but you get too thick a base for the pizza. Perhaps I should consider cutting it in half and putting goodies inside before the final cook.

As for any tomato-based pasta sauce, I usually prefer around 2 hours cooking time. Bolognanese still has nothing on a good chicken or meatball sauce, though. If I want mince-heavy cooking, I'll just stick to burritos or that one mexican mince recipe we have.

Treedweller

Post by Treedweller » Thu Dec 13, 2007 8:51 am

2 hours cooking time for a tomato-based sauce? Boy, I'm with Linky; I usually let it go for a half an hour at most at low heat, though I only started cooking for myself several months ago.

Bog
Meteor Striked
Meteor Striked

Post by Bog » Thu Dec 13, 2007 9:09 am

These are all great suggestions, but remember they have to be nutritous.

The last pizza I cooked was so bad the dog wouldn't even eat it. I plan to try again this friday.

Treedweller

Post by Treedweller » Thu Dec 13, 2007 9:31 am

Every single suggestion with the exceptions of the ones that recommend pork/bacon/whatever are highly nutritious. Nutrition is more than what they show you on the back of the packages.

Bog
Meteor Striked
Meteor Striked

Post by Bog » Thu Dec 13, 2007 9:59 am

Shifty suggested toast and Sven suggested microwaved egg. >_>

Linkman
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Linkman » Thu Dec 13, 2007 10:31 am

I have no experience making Pizza dough. I might give it a try these holidays.

Xen

Post by Xen » Thu Dec 13, 2007 10:34 am

Linkman wrote:I have no experience making Pizza dough. I might give it a try these holidays.
If you wait until I get home, I'll give you a recipe that I use for it. A ladyfriend of mine showed me the recipe and we tried it out together ages ago and it worked fantastically so I use it almost religiously now when I make homemade pizza. :P

Linkman
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Linkman » Thu Dec 13, 2007 10:36 am

Hmm, if it's simple enough I might try it. I don't want to start with something overly complicated.

Xen

Post by Xen » Thu Dec 13, 2007 10:37 am

It's pizza dough. <_<;

Linkman
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Linkman » Thu Dec 13, 2007 10:42 am

...Okay fine. <_<

onewaystreet

Post by onewaystreet » Thu Dec 13, 2007 10:43 am

Just post it here.

That way everyone can enjoy.

I guess >_>
thefalman wrote:Honestly, just when I thought we could all have a nice topic about mocking ridiculously, overly hardcore fundamentalists, it has to turn into a religious debate.

You bastards.
thefalman wrote:
RadioShadow wrote:Including having SEX? :o
I know it's an alien concept to you RS, but there's no need to act so surprised.

Hans Stockmann

Post by Hans Stockmann » Thu Dec 13, 2007 11:10 am

Treedweller wrote:2 hours cooking time for a tomato-based sauce? Boy, I'm with Linky; I usually let it go for a half an hour at most at low heat, though I only started cooking for myself several months ago.
Trust us on this. 90-120 minutes of sauce cooking time makes an incredibly flavoursome sauce. Also, make sure you're using roma, not standard tomatoes.

Sven

Post by Sven » Thu Dec 13, 2007 11:10 am

bog-bog wrote:Shifty suggested toast and Sven suggested microwaved egg. >_>
i was hoping you would go the extra mile and realize you could put stuff in the egg

and also realize that it was not to be eaten by itself

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO
3DS Code: 2535-4646-7163

Post by Xenesis » Thu Dec 13, 2007 3:21 pm

And without further ado, I present:

Pizza dough (taken from the April issue of Super Food Ideas)

This makes 2 pizza bases. I've also included baking times.

2 cups plain flour
8g sachet instant dried yeast (I used a 7g sachet but I'm sure it doesn't matter)
1/2 tsp caster sugar
3/4 cup warm water
2 tbs olive oil

1) Sift flour into a large bowl. Add yeast, sugar and a pinch of salt.
2) Combine warm water and oil. Add to flour mixture.
3) Mix until dough comes together
4) Turn onto a lightly floured surface (I just used our kitchen bench). Knead for 8-10 min, or until elastic (bounces back and leaves almost no indentation when you press the top).
5) Cut ready dough in half
6) Roll out each half and place in a lightly greased pizza pan or baking tray (I used an olive oil spray to grease it)
7) Top with stuff!
8) Bake for 10 minutes, then swap trays around in oven and bake for a further 5-10 min
IST wrote:Even the worst individual needs to discover the joys of a chicken statue that is also a pregnant blonde housewife.

NovaCid9

Post by NovaCid9 » Thu Dec 13, 2007 3:45 pm

I agree with homemade pizza dough, though I use a slightly different recipe than Xen. I think there's powdered milk in mine for some reason. And I usually season it before baking, but that's just a personal thing.

If you don't mind knives, you could always make Bruschetta, though that's a very light recipe, hardly a meal unto itself. It's an Italian appetizer. Basically you dice a tomato or two, mix with minced garlic, basil, and olive oil (though I've seen people add Balsamic vinegar, among other things), and serve on toast, preferably some kind of sourdough. It's really good, and most of the prep time is in the chopping.