Hey Fellow AW People

The member introduction forum. If you're new to WWN, come here to introduce yourself and say hi! ^_^

Or to regale us with tales of your departure!
Walker Boh

Hey Fellow AW People

Post by Walker Boh » Sun Jun 19, 2011 8:29 pm

Hi, I'm Walker Boh. Nice to meet you all! :)

Some of you may recognize me from AWBW, but I'm relatively new there (Dec. 2009) so many of you older AWBW players probably won't know me. I'm just curious about a couple of things, maybe you guys can help me out here.

How active is this place, and how much of that is AW-related? I'm just trying to gauge interest in AW, since it seems to be lagging...

What's the common opinion around here about AWBW, and what are some of its major complaints/flaws?

And the last one, I've seen a lot of people here saying they played on AWBW, but I don't recognize the names (and I swear I have at least heard of almost every member who was ever active on the forum over there...). Would you guys mind telling me what SN you used on AWBW so I can feel like I know you a little better?

Thanks in advance, I look forward to some fun discussion with all of you. Especially about how AWBW is kick-ass hahaha. :D

Narts

Re: Hey Fellow AW People

Post by Narts » Sun Jun 19, 2011 9:15 pm

Yes, there is a small hardcore of AW players bunkered here who mostly meet on the IRC to play games in real-time. Which is usually done by wi-fi (in case of DoR) or "post and play" where one of the players streams the game either from an emulator or by webcam from a real DS and the other posts the moves ("north infantry moves 2 east, 1 south" etc. etc.) Recently we also discovered a new way to play AW1/2 online using an emulator.

Most of us used to play AWBW but we generally think real-time play is just more satisfying (we like to actually see our opponent taking their moves) and AWBW also has issues of lag, the server going down etc. Also AWBW isn't entirely faithful to the original games, mixing up things at random from AW2 and Dual Strike, while not emulating AW4 at all which we generally consider to be the best balanced game for pvp.

I played on AWBW, using the name Narts (still do occasionally, for laughs) and I actually recognise your name but that's pretty much all I remember about you.

Welcome, anyway.
Last edited by Narts on Sun Jun 19, 2011 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Shift Breaker

Post by Shift Breaker » Sun Jun 19, 2011 9:19 pm

Don't trust Narts, he's a drunk.

WELCOME
"The part where you all shut up happens now." ~ thefalman
"I actually like to think of myself as a younger, hipper, more alive Nostradamus." ~ Treed
"Shifty, if I wasn't as manly a man as I am, I'd totally ask you out. And hope you'd wear that topless dude to impress me. In another lifetime, perhaps." ~ Nemmy
"Majora's Mask may by the only game I've played where someone was mooning me the entire time and I didn't care." ~ ThrawnFett

Kanzer

Post by Kanzer » Sun Jun 19, 2011 10:15 pm

Hey there.
if you burn down all of spain in your quest for thrills, that doesn't mean you get to move to a new country. it means you have to clean up afterward - Deoxy
I won the Pointless Adventure of Nopor Puss - winning command: FALCOWN PAUNCH the Pac-Man.

onewaystreet

Post by onewaystreet » Mon Jun 20, 2011 2:45 am

Sup walkerboh

Glad to see you've made the switch to WWN!
thefalman wrote:Honestly, just when I thought we could all have a nice topic about mocking ridiculously, overly hardcore fundamentalists, it has to turn into a religious debate.

You bastards.
thefalman wrote:
RadioShadow wrote:Including having SEX? :o
I know it's an alien concept to you RS, but there's no need to act so surprised.

Walker Boh

Post by Walker Boh » Mon Jun 20, 2011 4:29 am

Hi narts and onewaystreet, and other people who I don't recognize from AWBW. I don't know about making the switch, it's more of a "branching out" sort of thing. =)

Also, I chuckled a bit at the idea of "post and play" being easier and quicker than AWBW. That sounds like it'd be 10 times more work per turn hahaha. But I can understand wanting to play a game in real time instead of over the course of a month. I think I prefer taking longer, but that's all that I'm used to so who knows what I really like.

Unfortunately I'm a bit internet restricted for the next couple months, but maybe sometime in the future I'll join you all in the IRC.

PS: I also saw "Kireato" and "thefalman" as members here. Is it safe to assume those are the same people as the old AWBW members? Anyone else lurking around still?

Narts

Post by Narts » Mon Jun 20, 2011 4:32 am

post and play is faster than you would think, it just takes some getting used to

certainly it's better than fhq's method of playing only against himself to gain deep insight into pvp metagame

Walker Boh

Post by Walker Boh » Mon Jun 20, 2011 4:40 am

I have no doubt that post and play is faster than AWBW, but you basically have to write out the entire "log" of a game in order to play it. And those logs are loooooong. Faster in real time, yes. Less time spent per turn, no. Less typing, HELL no. =p

And yes, I also have my doubts about the viability of the "play against yourself" tactics that FHQ uses. He does have an interesting idea at least, though I think that having more than one person working on that project of his would be quite useful.

Narts

Post by Narts » Mon Jun 20, 2011 4:46 am

We use post'n'play not because we think it's more convenient than AWBW (it's not) but because it's the only way to play AW:DS online.

As for helping FHQ with his "project", we already simplified it down for him a lot

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO
3DS Code: 2535-4646-7163

Post by Xenesis » Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:05 am

Hi, welcome etc.

AWBW logs are much longer than a PYM game ends up being, too because the logs have more information.
IST wrote:Even the worst individual needs to discover the joys of a chicken statue that is also a pregnant blonde housewife.

Walker Boh

Post by Walker Boh » Mon Jun 20, 2011 4:57 pm

@ Narts: Yeah, it seems pretty unfortunate that no one has made anything that simulates it yet. I never really enjoyed AWDS on the cart as much as AW1 or AW2 (didn't even finish campaign as a matter of fact), but I think it had more to do with how gimmicky I thought the game was - ooziums and black crystals and such - than anything else. Not sure if post 'n play would be for me, but you can't knock something until you try it.

@Xenesis: Hi. Yes, it was a bit of an exaggeration... you wouldn't have to say things like 'APC refueled black boat' or 'Tank was destroyed' or the exact coordinates of every unit haha.

Sniffit II

Post by Sniffit II » Mon Jun 20, 2011 7:08 pm

Beware: We have hamsters.
i don't know what a bishop ninja is but if it can still move diagonal without being seen it's got my vote - Pkdragon

FEAR ME, FEAR THE FIRE THAT BURNS IN MY BALLS, VERIDIAN FOREST! - Dragonite

Vote Sniffit for Space Dictator.

Atticus

Post by Atticus » Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:34 am

What's AW?

I haven't touched AWBW in slightly longer than I haven't played AW on my DS. I was never good enough to play at the level that this board does and have no interest in improving a skill with such limited application. But I know a bunch of non-party poopers still enjoy a good game on the IRC.
"Attie, man. When did you become this totally kickass dude?"- Linky
"Personally, I'm perfectly fine with anything that makes this world not suck to live in"- SJCrew

Crystal Guard 292

Post by Crystal Guard 292 » Tue Jun 21, 2011 3:21 pm

Hello and welcome!

I've not been on AWBW in... ever? But I did do a few games of save state swap way back when. Woooooooo.

But yeah. AW play and theorycraft is always welcome here. There's also a lot of fun socializing going on. From the looks of things, you seem to value proper spelling/grammar and treating people with general respect, so I'm certain you'll have no trouble fitting in!
"It's game storage...THAT'LL TOTALLY PUNCH YOUR BALLS OFF! EXTREEEEEME!" -Airrider
"Well, he lives in Aussie land, where up is down and hamburgers eat people." -Familyguyman
"I'll get to it tomorrow." -Heropsychodreamer01

Walker Boh

Post by Walker Boh » Tue Jun 21, 2011 6:58 pm

Yeah, it seems that a lot of people inhabiting the AW communities outside of AWBW played it at one time and didn't really enjoy it that much. For me though, the community is the only reason I ever stick around somewhere. I doubt I would stay around on AWBW, except I found a nice little niche of cool people over there. It seems like there's decent people here too, so I expect I'll be around a bit. :)

I doubt I'll get into much theorycraft over here. Most of what I'm experienced with is AWBW theory, and that really only can be applied to AWBW! But it's always nice to socialize with new people with common interests.

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO
3DS Code: 2535-4646-7163

Post by Xenesis » Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:30 pm

What are you implying that CG and I are the same person! :o
IST wrote:Even the worst individual needs to discover the joys of a chicken statue that is also a pregnant blonde housewife.

Walker Boh

Post by Walker Boh » Wed Jun 22, 2011 2:34 am

So grammar is a touchy topic around here, duly noted. :lol:

Shift Breaker

Post by Shift Breaker » Wed Jun 22, 2011 4:37 am

yeah bad grammar bad
"The part where you all shut up happens now." ~ thefalman
"I actually like to think of myself as a younger, hipper, more alive Nostradamus." ~ Treed
"Shifty, if I wasn't as manly a man as I am, I'd totally ask you out. And hope you'd wear that topless dude to impress me. In another lifetime, perhaps." ~ Nemmy
"Majora's Mask may by the only game I've played where someone was mooning me the entire time and I didn't care." ~ ThrawnFett

Kanzer

Post by Kanzer » Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:56 pm

we is inturnational persons from all arond za warudo

ferrgive us
if you burn down all of spain in your quest for thrills, that doesn't mean you get to move to a new country. it means you have to clean up afterward - Deoxy
I won the Pointless Adventure of Nopor Puss - winning command: FALCOWN PAUNCH the Pac-Man.

Crystal Guard 292

Post by Crystal Guard 292 » Fri Jun 24, 2011 1:19 pm

Xen, I think Deoxy's catching on to us. >_>
"It's game storage...THAT'LL TOTALLY PUNCH YOUR BALLS OFF! EXTREEEEEME!" -Airrider
"Well, he lives in Aussie land, where up is down and hamburgers eat people." -Familyguyman
"I'll get to it tomorrow." -Heropsychodreamer01

Mark_009_vn

Post by Mark_009_vn » Sat Jun 25, 2011 8:23 pm

Hello
Privyet
Xin chao

That's hello in 3 different languages in case you don't know. :)

What's the common opinion around here about AWBW, and what are some of its major complaints/flaws?

It didn't work for me by some reason, that's it biggest flaw.
certainly it's better than fhq's method of playing only against himself to gain deep insight into pvp metagame
But it did work (least for me), and that's all that matters.
Remember not to feed the animals