I'm new!

The member introduction forum. If you're new to WWN, come here to introduce yourself and say hi! ^_^

Or to regale us with tales of your departure!
Lantier

I'm new!

Post by Lantier » Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:08 am

Hey!

So recently I've been playing the old copy of Advance Wars: Dual Strike again, and it's got me in a pretty Advance Wars mood. I wasn't really planning on joining a forum for it, or anything, but stumbled on this place and thought the worst it can cost me is the amount of time it takes to type in a username and password. So here I am!

It's been a long time since I joined a forum. I don't really know what one is supposed to do in an introductory page. I guess some general info might not hurt, right? The place seems pretty dead, I'm sure you've got time to read.

I'm twenty-two, a college student who is, shall we say, taking his time graduating, and I'm a fairly big gamer. I'm an English Secondary Education major, which means that the long term goal is to teach high school English. I do a fair amount of writing, mostly prose, but I've been known to get in moods where I crank out a few poems, too. I work at a seafood restaurant as a dishwasher, because I like to dream big. I haven't done forum things in a while, though I used to be really into them in high school.

Well, I've been playing Advance Wars for a pretty long time, I guess. I borrowed a copy of Advance Wars 2 from a friend of mine, couldn't have been but about thirteen or fourteen (which was quite a long time ago!). I've never beaten it! I was emulating it recently, but lost that save file about halfway through liberating Yellow Comet and Blue Moon, and haven't been able to bring myself to start the whole thing over. I've never played the original Advance Wars, either! Crazy, right? Advance Wars: Dual Strike is probably my favorite DS game ever, and perhaps my favorite handheld game to date. I was...severely upset by the direction that Days of Ruin took, and did not finish it.

So I guess what I'm saying is, I really like Advance Wars quite a lot, but mostly because of how fantastic Dual Strike is!

I don't know much about the AW scene, if such a thing exists. Never played the game competitively, except against friends and family. I guess what intrigued me immediately about the forum was the Custom CO boards that I was reading through. I was coming up with some ideas of my own pretty recently in that regard, and might post some of them there, if ya'll don't mind that I don't really know what's going on with balance or what's been done before.

So, yeah. That's that, I guess. Maybe I'll go find something to post on somewhere!

Narts

Re: I'm new!

Post by Narts » Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:10 am

All the cool people skip introductions. You just failed the test, I'm afraid.

Dragonite

Post by Dragonite » Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:30 am

Well, just ignore Narts. That being said, the 5 year game drought has run it's course here. We still like the game, but we're mostly a quirky bunch. You're welcome though!

Narts

Post by Narts » Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:52 am

One does not simply ignore Narts.

HPD
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by HPD » Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:23 am

You sound like a cool enough guy! Glad to see a new face! Now I hope you're not the kind who makes one or two posts and then forgets about this place, but the kind who sticks around and has fun with the rest of us. Feel free to jump in!

As far as the Custom CO section is concerned, though, it's mostly a relic of the past. Nowadays, it's pretty dead, but for some reason it's still attractive to newcomers.

...then again, quite a few people here (myself included) joined the AW communities thanks to the CCOs. There even was a time when these boards were called 'The AW2 Debate and CCO forum'. Those were the days...

But yeah, feel free to dig around and come up with new stuff.
"So when I say the fudge shaman flies he goddamn well flies and that's that." - Narts
"My motto is that there are far too many women in the world to waste time with men." - thefalman
"It's just that I'm not really aware of how a common conversation goes." - Imano Ob, talking on MSN about talking on MSN
"As for FE8, that was IS' variant of Man Spam - Dudes with Swords edition." - Xenesis

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO
3DS Code: 2535-4646-7163

Post by Xenesis » Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:45 am

Welcome.

Stick around, have fun and all that Jazz :)
IST wrote:Even the worst individual needs to discover the joys of a chicken statue that is also a pregnant blonde housewife.

Atticus

Post by Atticus » Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:59 am

'ello there.
"Attie, man. When did you become this totally kickass dude?"- Linky
"Personally, I'm perfectly fine with anything that makes this world not suck to live in"- SJCrew

onewaystreet

Post by onewaystreet » Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:19 pm

Hello! The social forums are the most active ones on the board so you should try and be a presence there too so we can get to know you better.

Try not to let the Narts bite on your way by.
thefalman wrote:Honestly, just when I thought we could all have a nice topic about mocking ridiculously, overly hardcore fundamentalists, it has to turn into a religious debate.

You bastards.
thefalman wrote:
RadioShadow wrote:Including having SEX? :o
I know it's an alien concept to you RS, but there's no need to act so surprised.

Lantier

Post by Lantier » Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:18 pm

HPD wrote:You sound like a cool enough guy! Glad to see a new face! Now I hope you're not the kind who makes one or two posts and then forgets about this place, but the kind who sticks around and has fun with the rest of us. Feel free to jump in!

As far as the Custom CO section is concerned, though, it's mostly a relic of the past. Nowadays, it's pretty dead, but for some reason it's still attractive to newcomers.
Well maybe I won't mess around with it too much, then. It wasn't really something I ever thought about before, but when there's so long between games, one's mind starts to wander. It's all so technical in there, anyway! I might be a pretty casual fan compared to some of you guys.

I'll try to stick around! I won't make any promises, but hey, I've got some free time these days, and the back half of Dual Strike's hard mode always takes me a while to get through, so the game will be on my mind for a while!

Somebody asked me about music, probably as a joke, but I'm not really somebody who pays too much attention to music in video games. Sorry! I've been playing Dual Strike with the volume off, mostly.

Lantier

Post by Lantier » Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:56 pm

Agree to disagree, I suppose. Music just isn't that important to me in video games. I grew up with a terrible television that produced horrible sounds from video games, so I got pretty used to playing them down very low or on silent pretty early. I also simply prefer music with lyrics. There's only a game or two where the music has ever made even a moderate impact on my playing, other than as a tool to set tone.

Narts

Post by Narts » Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:01 pm

Agree to disagree
NO.

You just don't do THAT here.

A duel to the death is the only is the only way out.

Lantier

Post by Lantier » Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:06 pm

To find out whether or not the music is good? I didn't mean to imply that it isn't. Just that I don't really care if it is or not.

Narts

Post by Narts » Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:20 pm

The music in dual strike is garbage by the way.

It's okay, you can say that.

Lantier

Post by Lantier » Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:23 pm

I honestly don't have much of an opinion on the matter. I certainly haven't found any of the tracks to be offensively bad, but that's about all I can say about it.

Treedweller

Post by Treedweller » Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:55 pm

You seem cool, I'm going to call you 'Lantie.' But you should finish your studies as quickly as you can, Lantie dear. Why waste so much of your twenties on a boring undergraduate degree? The good stuff comes after.

Lantier

Post by Lantier » Thu Dec 06, 2012 7:43 am

Just taking my time, I guess. My generation won't be able to retire until they're like 80 anyway. I always figure, what's the rush?

HPD
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by HPD » Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:37 am

Where are you from, actually, if I may ask?
"So when I say the fudge shaman flies he goddamn well flies and that's that." - Narts
"My motto is that there are far too many women in the world to waste time with men." - thefalman
"It's just that I'm not really aware of how a common conversation goes." - Imano Ob, talking on MSN about talking on MSN
"As for FE8, that was IS' variant of Man Spam - Dudes with Swords edition." - Xenesis

Lantier

Post by Lantier » Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:39 pm

Boone, North Carolina! I'm attending Appalachian State University.

ThrawnFett

Post by ThrawnFett » Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:22 am

No way. I live in Charlotte. My wife graduated from App State. We were up there just a few weeks ago. Awesome!
Wow. We went from a cynical look at history repeating itself and Pichu swearing to Veggie Tales. Thrawn is definitely online. ~Pichu
You know, I have this feeling that one day your sig will be nothing but an archive of witticisms I've made over the years. ~Pichu
"Frankly, I wish that everybody was a little more like you. We'd certainly see less asinine behaviour all over the world." -Terragent

Lantier

Post by Lantier » Fri Dec 07, 2012 7:47 am

Oh, cool! Small world!

Linkman
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Linkman » Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:46 pm

Welcome buddy.
"everytime I try to draw xen I end up drawing a kangaroo smoking a cigar while chainsawing a tree" - Deoxy
"I can't believe I'm the only person who voted Stallone. His appeal lies in watching is movies again and again just to hear what the hell he's talking about." - Kilteh

grand-pappy

Post by grand-pappy » Thu Dec 27, 2012 8:44 am

I'm new as well. If anyone would like to play awds please pm me.

Slazzy

Post by Slazzy » Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:37 am

I would like to play awds
--[Olaf]--

Description: What do you get if Santa Claus dyes his beard and changes
his clothes? OK, enough jokes,