BCKPCKNG

The member introduction forum. If you're new to WWN, come here to introduce yourself and say hi! ^_^

Or to regale us with tales of your departure!
HPD
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

BCKPCKNG

Post by HPD » Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:48 am

So yeah, I've been keeping this relatively quiet, also to you guys, but the truth is I'll be going on a backpacking trip to Aussie land next week!

That means I won't be following WWN as actively as normal, but in the day and age of smartphones and Wifi hotspots, I should be able to check in every now and then, and I will ;). There's also this cute blog thingy I may post stuff on, which you can find at http://jeroenvanlent.waarbenjij.nu, but be advised that it'll be in Dutch and therefore possibly unintelligible.

If you're wondering: yes, I WILL be visiting Adelaide at some point. It might take me some months to get there but I'll be coming at ya, possibly late August or September. It's kind of vague at the moment, since I'll be starting out in Sydney and probably then work my way up North along the coast towards Cairns. After that, I'll take the outback route south and eventually end up in Adelaide. I've already informed Xen about it, and he agrees that we totally should meet up and do crumpets together. I'm sure we can arrange something, Terr, Ale and pichu!

If you're wondering at why the hell am I doing this: well... Basically as you may or may not have read somewhere here, I've recently graduated on my MSc, and somehow got the opportunity to do a once-in-a-lifetime trip and get out of the somewhat miserable situation I've been in over the past few years. Though I'm terribly anxious and angsting over the whole thing, I'm also positive that this might be the best decision I've ever made, so it's gonna go down no matter what. I hope I get out of this as a better and more self-confident individual, as I currently feel terribly isolated and uncertain of my own abilities. So yeah, to combat that I'm going to place myself in a completely different environment and see how things turn out.

I might return in November or December, though truth be told I can't be exactly sure, as anything can happen there. I have visa for a full year, so maybe if I really like it I might just see that through to the end.

Anyway, now you're all up to date on my recent events. Enjoy yourselves while I'm gone, ok? As said, I'll try to keep in touch, but no promises.

PS: Sorry about the GB. As much as I love to write for it, it's not gonna happen anytime soon. I had too much on my mind the past few months with my thesis at first, and the whole planning of this trip and whatnot.
"So when I say the fudge shaman flies he goddamn well flies and that's that." - Narts
"My motto is that there are far too many women in the world to waste time with men." - thefalman
"It's just that I'm not really aware of how a common conversation goes." - Imano Ob, talking on MSN about talking on MSN
"As for FE8, that was IS' variant of Man Spam - Dudes with Swords edition." - Xenesis

Treedweller

Re: BCKPCKNG

Post by Treedweller » Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:50 pm

I'm so happy for you, and I hope you have a delightful time, HPD dear. From the little I know about your real life, it seems like you were stuck in an unhappy place. Have fun, be safe, and take lots of pictures of the upside down crumpets you see in Aussie land! Oh, and pictures of you and the Aussie WWN gang.

Looking forward to hearing from you in 10 months or so.

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO
3DS Code: 2535-4646-7163

Post by Xenesis » Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:42 pm

Personally, I think it sounds amazing.

For those not in the know, I encouraged it. Although I'm probably biased about the country of choice ;)
IST wrote:Even the worst individual needs to discover the joys of a chicken statue that is also a pregnant blonde housewife.

Kanzer

Post by Kanzer » Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:21 am

This is absolutely awesome, and I'm glad to hear you're doing it. You're right, it's probably one one the best things one can do after the long, hard struggle for a long-term goal ends.
if you burn down all of spain in your quest for thrills, that doesn't mean you get to move to a new country. it means you have to clean up afterward - Deoxy
I won the Pointless Adventure of Nopor Puss - winning command: FALCOWN PAUNCH the Pac-Man.

thefalman
Star CO
Star CO

Post by thefalman » Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:29 pm

Sounds awesome, and it seems like as good a time as any for you to do it - hope you enjoy yourself out there!
It took me a solid three minutes to fully comprehend your hair, Fallers. - Deoxy
Yes fal, you've got a good sense of style, you're clean shaven, and the cat on your head dares not move itself.
You look awesome. - Shift Breaker

I swear, you two are the worst couple ever. You've somehow managed to PDA on the internet through text. - Xenesis

thefalman
Star CO
Star CO

Post by thefalman » Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:29 pm

Sounds awesome, and it seems like as good a time as any for you to do it - hope you enjoy yourself out there!
It took me a solid three minutes to fully comprehend your hair, Fallers. - Deoxy
Yes fal, you've got a good sense of style, you're clean shaven, and the cat on your head dares not move itself.
You look awesome. - Shift Breaker

I swear, you two are the worst couple ever. You've somehow managed to PDA on the internet through text. - Xenesis

Atticus

Post by Atticus » Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:12 am

Have fun out there, and return with awesome stories and life-changing experiences.
"Attie, man. When did you become this totally kickass dude?"- Linky
"Personally, I'm perfectly fine with anything that makes this world not suck to live in"- SJCrew

Dragonite

Post by Dragonite » Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:53 am

Have fun! I want to go to Australia too someday, it's just a awesome country. >_>

I'm going to check up your blog every now and then Jer, as I'm gifted with the Dutch tongue. :P

McTool

Post by McTool » Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:38 pm

Sounds rad as hell man! Sorry to hear things were crumpets, and I hope this starts better things and keeps 'em going.
Make good choices

HPD
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by HPD » Tue Mar 05, 2013 6:42 pm

Thanks for the kind words, all. I'll be leaving for the airport in just a few hours.

ohgodthenerves
"So when I say the fudge shaman flies he goddamn well flies and that's that." - Narts
"My motto is that there are far too many women in the world to waste time with men." - thefalman
"It's just that I'm not really aware of how a common conversation goes." - Imano Ob, talking on MSN about talking on MSN
"As for FE8, that was IS' variant of Man Spam - Dudes with Swords edition." - Xenesis

x0_000

Post by x0_000 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 4:24 am

don't forget, if you crash the passcode is 4 8 15 16 23 42

don't be responsible for the end of the world as we know it
Only in math can you buy 600 cantaloupes and not look like a nutter.

Dragonite

Post by Dragonite » Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:32 am

Read your blog HPD. Murphy's law indeed. But I guess you will eventually write about your misadventures yourself. (If not ,nothing seriously happened, and he just ran into some rookie backpacker troubles.)

Twelve Boats

Post by Twelve Boats » Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:01 am

good luck
the dream

HPDee

Post by HPDee » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:13 pm

Yo.

Just here to say that I'm still alive and doing well for the moment. Planning to travel to Brisbane after Easter and hopefully find some work as I could use the extra cash. Fingers crossed for that one.

I'm not really posting much to the outside world as the days are busy and computers aren't readily available, certainly not for a longer period. Sorry for that, but there's not really any help for it.

Treedweller

Post by Treedweller » Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:49 am

You sound like such a hippy, darling. :)

Sounds like you're having a good time, and there's nothing wrong with spending some time away from technology. Even if it does mean that you're not getting your daily recommended dose of Treed.

HPD
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by HPD » Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:52 am

Ok so I got terribly homesick in Brisbane and have trouble finding work. Flying to Cairns on Wednesday to look for farm work there. It'll be heavy, backbreaking work but I'll have to go for it. Need to find a way to deal with homesickness as I've never experienced this before. It's tough and there are no guarantees. I really hope I don't need to go home early. In any case I'm going to enjoy the next few days and we'll see where I'll end up.

Kanzer

Post by Kanzer » Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:43 pm

Best stuff I've know against homesickness are finding something awesome about the place you're at (a park you love to stroll by, or a bunch of nice people) and trying to stablish a routine of activities similar as to what you did back home, kind of mirroring the schedule. Provided I've never been away from both home and family for truly extended periods, the advice might come in handy. Keep it up bro! Don't be discouraged and good luck.
if you burn down all of spain in your quest for thrills, that doesn't mean you get to move to a new country. it means you have to clean up afterward - Deoxy
I won the Pointless Adventure of Nopor Puss - winning command: FALCOWN PAUNCH the Pac-Man.

Treedweller

Post by Treedweller » Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:10 am

It's tough, but do try to stick out for a while, HPD. You might regret packing up and leaving so early, especially since this might be one of the few times in your life that you're free enough from financial and work obligations to explore another country thoroughly.

Do what Kanzy said, and all the best to you.

Treedweller

Post by Treedweller » Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:22 pm

Oh, and happy birthday, HPD! I hope you have a lovely, panache-filled day of cake, surprises, and treats - or just gruelling Australian sun and back-breaking farm labour.

I just saw it on the forum calendar and figured this would be the best place to say it.

Kanzer

Post by Kanzer » Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:39 pm

It sure is, since this topic is the virtual testimony of HPDs worldwide awesomeness. Have a great day and blow people's socks off!

Atticus

Post by Atticus » Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:59 pm

This does seem like the place for it. Happy birthday, HPD. Hopefully you've got a good way to celebrate it!
"Attie, man. When did you become this totally kickass dude?"- Linky
"Personally, I'm perfectly fine with anything that makes this world not suck to live in"- SJCrew

McTool

Post by McTool » Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:50 am

HB HPD!

Do it up, son. DO. IT. UP.
Make good choices

HPD
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by HPD » Fri Apr 12, 2013 2:48 pm

Thanks so much for the birthday greetings and the support! Love you guys, really. Things are still tough occasionally but I'm trying to make the most of it. I'm putting stuff on fb every now and then so add me if you want to keep up with my travels.

Sven

Post by Sven » Wed Apr 17, 2013 5:03 am

Kind of late but this is pretty coolstuff, enjoy life!

Linkman
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Linkman » Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:23 am

Yeah, kudos to you Jer!
"everytime I try to draw xen I end up drawing a kangaroo smoking a cigar while chainsawing a tree" - Deoxy
"I can't believe I'm the only person who voted Stallone. His appeal lies in watching is movies again and again just to hear what the hell he's talking about." - Kilteh

HPD
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by HPD » Thu Apr 18, 2013 6:36 pm

So at the moment I've got a job and all that. Working on a banana farm whewe I'm mostly busy with irrigation. Laying pipes and all that. It's hard work but it's work! Prob need to stay here for three months to save up enough to get me to Adelaide and New Zealand after that. We'll see how things go but at least having a job is a huge load off my back.

Kanzer

Post by Kanzer » Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:11 pm

Sounds awesome, also hard work builds character and stuff.

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO
3DS Code: 2535-4646-7163

Post by Xenesis » Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:06 pm

Glad you've found something!

You were sounding a bit stressed for a bit there, hopefully the mild QLD winter will be nice to you. :)
IST wrote:Even the worst individual needs to discover the joys of a chicken statue that is also a pregnant blonde housewife.

HPD
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by HPD » Sat Aug 03, 2013 10:28 am

So yeah, three weeks of farm work left. Flying to Darwin on the 24th to go back to TRAVEL. Hoping to get a car to drive south from there to ADELAIDE and meet up with YOU KNOW

Terragent

Post by Terragent » Sun Aug 04, 2013 11:18 am

:o

Sven

Post by Sven » Mon Aug 05, 2013 7:24 pm

NEDERLANDEREN VAJNVER DICKS

Linkman
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Linkman » Wed Aug 07, 2013 11:50 am

is anybody else really bothered by the lack of As in the topic title?

everytime I go "BHCK PCHK ING"
"everytime I try to draw xen I end up drawing a kangaroo smoking a cigar while chainsawing a tree" - Deoxy
"I can't believe I'm the only person who voted Stallone. His appeal lies in watching is movies again and again just to hear what the hell he's talking about." - Kilteh

Gentleman of Dread

Post by Gentleman of Dread » Thu Aug 08, 2013 7:10 am

I don't know wht you could possibly men linkmn. Looks totlly norml to me.