HELLO.

The member introduction forum. If you're new to WWN, come here to introduce yourself and say hi! ^_^

Or to regale us with tales of your departure!
Dark Wave

HELLO.

Post by Dark Wave » Thu Jul 16, 2015 11:59 pm

Hello everyone of WWN. I'm Dark Wave.

I actually joined this forum like a year ago or something, but I hadn't gotten involved due to business and the One True Unchangeable Way of Life: Things Happen.

I recently purchased AW and AW2 on the Wii U's virtual console because I no longer have a portable system that can play GBA games (namely AW and AW2, obviously). This got me interested in checking out the fan-sites for the first time in several months. To no surprise, AWN is a very dry desert. To my surprise, WWN still has some activity.

The continuity of the AW franchise, or even the Wars games, seems to be just about hopeless. With sales not matching Nintendo's satisfactory standards, a publicized murder thanks to a fan-site to taint the name of the franchise, and Wi-Fi being disabled (it makes me deeply sad every time I think about it), there isn't a lot of hope. This year marks the 10th anniversary of Dual Strike and we heard not a thing from the representatives of Nintendo at this year's E3, even though this year was quite focused on bringing back older games. Instead, all we've gotten is releases on the Wii U's virtual console which really does nothing but give the optimistic false hope.

So what are we to do with all this nothing we've got? I'm actually thinking of, and interested in, remaking the storyline of Advance Wars, and implementing much more plot as well as some great maps. It's not like there's anything else to do with the franchise's content. I actually posted a thread on AWN containing all the "challenging single-player"/custom War Room maps I made for fun a while back, but that didn't really go anywhere and I had boycotted AW shortly after.

Confirmation question: So is there no way to play AW4 online now?

Anyway, from this point I shall be visiting this forum from time to time and maybe actually contribute to the community in some shape or form.

The Thunder

Re: HELLO.

Post by The Thunder » Fri Jul 17, 2015 8:10 am

There's no more Nintendo Wi-Fi for the Nintendo DS. I'm not sure about the 3DS.

Welcome, or welcome back, I guess. You know, I came here hoping to get some attention with my art and story project known as "Project Advance Wars Frontier". You can look on the Advance Wars Dual Strike CCO threads, the Design Forum, and the link on my signature. I don't seem to get enough feedback and as an artist, it kind of helps. You want to contribute something too? Feel free. But good luck with getting any kind of feedback. I've gotten some, but WWN is still... I'd say... 67% quiet.

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO
3DS Code: 2535-4646-7163

Post by Xenesis » Fri Jul 17, 2015 8:21 am

Dark Wave wrote:Confirmation question: So is there no way to play AW4 online now?
There is but it is fiddly and requires access to a Nintendo DS Flash Card or an emulator. See this post. Same sort of deal as the post-shutdown Mario Kart Wii servers.
IST wrote:Even the worst individual needs to discover the joys of a chicken statue that is also a pregnant blonde housewife.

The Thunder

Post by The Thunder » Fri Jul 17, 2015 9:09 am

Wait, Nintendo shut down some Wii servers too?

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO
3DS Code: 2535-4646-7163

Post by Xenesis » Fri Jul 17, 2015 5:18 pm

The Thunder wrote:Wait, Nintendo shut down some Wii servers too?
All of them, in fact.

All multiplayer gaming for the DS and the Wii was done through/by GameSpy. So when GameSpy shut down their service for game multiplayer, all DS/Wii games went down with it.

Wii Shop was done entirely through Nintendo, though, so that's still up.
IST wrote:Even the worst individual needs to discover the joys of a chicken statue that is also a pregnant blonde housewife.