2012 Tournament

Talk about the shiny-new post-apocalyptic Advance Wars game here.
simple_bob

2012 Tournament

Post by simple_bob » Tue Apr 24, 2012 12:06 pm

How about we start signing people up for this year's tournament and let's start talking about what kinds of maps will be used. Or perhaps even start making maps for the tournament based on certain criteria... I would like to see ground battles, air battles, sea battles, mixed battles(i.e. ground/air), team battles, production battles, and pre-deployed(i.e. no production buildings) battles. Anyone else have any thoughts? and post here to say you would like to join the tournament or help design maps or pick already made maps.

GipFace

Re: 2012 Tournament

Post by GipFace » Mon Apr 30, 2012 12:44 am

If you want a tournament, you'll have to pump money into it. That's the reality. Advance Wars isn't just some 5-minute pick-me-up game. Games routinely last over an hour, usually around 2-3. Very few people will invest that sort of time for absolutely nothing if it's for something on the line and not just for leisure.

Single-elimination tournaments will not work, in any case. Let's say I enter and face off a strong player early in the bracket and eliminate him. Then there won't be much to spectate later.

It's probably best to start a league and then pay everyone who actually plays, and then have select livecast games. However, no one in the community has that sort of time or money.

simple_bob

Post by simple_bob » Wed May 02, 2012 12:17 pm

I guess that means we can count GipFace out, :D

I play this game because I do enjoy the leisure and you will find that there are many sites devoted to communities of free games, to which I belong to a few, like chess.com and battle.net. There are tournaments all the time and with no pay-out, I play these games because I like the games. If the only way you will play something is to be paid, then you’ll probably never be as good as someone who plays because they enjoy playing.

I was hoping this was a community of players who wanted to play, if no one wants to join a tournament, I’m fine with starting a league and just keeping stats of playing with one another. If no one wants to do that, then I will just keep playing the random wi-fi which I have been doing for years. The community was never strong (with activism), but there are still those on the random wi-fi who are good at playing and some are just joining and becoming good players.

If you are interested in becoming a better player, I would be happy to talk tactics with you and I, unlike most people, don’t mind playing a map just to show you how to play better without just using the fact you don’t know how to play to crush you. There are a lot of players on the random wi-fi who are good because they only use the rush-economic-defensive tactic and when you move away from a map that has the ability to use this strategy they either quit or lose. This hinders new players from learning the game well, because they only see a poor tactic that is never successful in fair play maps.

If no one answers to this topic, then I guess I will hang out in map sharing and continue to post maps that I have made that I found fun and difficult to play and I will post other people’s maps that I have come across through the random-trade map system that I thought were difficult to win as either 1v1, 2v1, or 3v1, but not as a free for all, those are always a win for the human.

HPD
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by HPD » Wed May 02, 2012 9:07 pm

It's a good initiative, but I'm not sure if you can rally enough people for this...
"So when I say the fudge shaman flies he goddamn well flies and that's that." - Narts
"My motto is that there are far too many women in the world to waste time with men." - thefalman
"It's just that I'm not really aware of how a common conversation goes." - Imano Ob, talking on MSN about talking on MSN
"As for FE8, that was IS' variant of Man Spam - Dudes with Swords edition." - Xenesis

Sven

Post by Sven » Thu May 03, 2012 8:46 pm

look it's another aspie who's telling us we should play for love of the game

mine ran out years ago

Bonesy
3DS Code: 0318 8318 0000

Post by Bonesy » Fri May 04, 2012 1:00 am

Sven wrote:look it's another aspie who's telling us we should play for love of the game

mine ran out years ago
aZsBuRgErZ

GipFace

Post by GipFace » Sat May 05, 2012 1:14 am

I've played over 10000 games for "fun" which is more than three times the number of games of the #1 tenured player on AWBW, and more than everyone else on this board combined. It's difficult to continue playing this for "fun" when there are new games coming out every year that demand my attention. What do you want me to do, play this for the next ten years? The only game I've played for 10+ years is MTG and that's because there's new cards every year, which leads to new experiences.

I became the #1 pvp player four months after release and I still played it for another three years after that. The skill level capped long ago. Further advancements happened, but it means nothing when nobody else can execute them. For example, I haven't met anyone who has ever had stellar copter play. Unfortunately, the random wi-fi maps don't help too much with this.

In North America at the very least, Chess isn't exactly popular either. I'd wager at least 99% of the North American Chess community consists of youths under 18 who play for fun, and then they move on to greater and better things. Less than 1 in 100 people keep playing Chess at a high level after they turn 18. Same goes with community sports. Same goes with AW. I'm almost 30 years old now and I have to deal with things such as my job, my house downpayment, and marriage.

Bottom line is, you'll need money for a real tournament. The people who want to play for fun can do so without a tournament. For me, there is no point in playing for "fun" anymore because I've done all that, and the playing-for-fun people won't give me a good game. If you have a tournament or league with at least a $200 prize pool, I'm in.

Anonymous Guy

Post by Anonymous Guy » Sat May 05, 2012 10:20 am

[quote="GipFace"]I've played over 10000 games for "fun" which is more than three times the number of games of the #1 tenured player on AWBW, and more than everyone else on this board combined. It's difficult to continue playing this for "fun" when there are new games coming out every year that demand my attention. What do you want me to do, play this for the next ten years? The only game I've played for 10+ years is MTG and that's because there's new cards every year, which leads to new experiences.

I became the #1 pvp player four months after release and I still played it for another three years after that. The skill level capped long ago. Further advancements happened, but it means nothing when nobody else can execute them. For example, I haven't met anyone who has ever had stellar copter play. Unfortunately, the random wi-fi maps don't help too much with this.

In North America at the very least, Chess isn't exactly popular either. I'd wager at least 99% of the North American Chess community consists of youths under 18 who play for fun, and then they move on to greater and better things. Less than 1 in 100 people keep playing Chess at a high level after they turn 18. Same goes with community sports. Same goes with AW. I'm almost 30 years old now and I have to deal with things such as my job, my house downpayment, and marriage.

Bottom line is, you'll need money for a real tournament. The people who want to play for fun can do so without a tournament. For me, there is no point in playing for "fun" anymore because I've done all that, and the playing-for-fun people won't give me a good game. If you have a tournament or league with at least a $200 prize pool, I'm in.[/quote]

Back in your day, we didn't need no stinkin' obstacles getting in the way of long range shots. We did just fine on bland battlefields.

Anonymous Guy

Post by Anonymous Guy » Sat May 05, 2012 10:54 am

On second thought, that old man implication is too childish to make without a suitable supporting argument, of which making a suggestion about a certain problem with the game is not.

Now I deserve to be called out anyway, but what is annoying me is the hypocrisy. Because ANYBODY who isn't innocent needs to be held accountable. And you ain't squeaky clean. For starters, no fewer 3 vets against 1 newbie is NOT going to impress anybody in their right mind.

Also, if you think I'm happy about it, maybe a moment for a cheap laugh, I will admit, but karma will catch up with you. Don't believe me, just wait until it does. And at that point, NOBODY wins. Think that should happen? What's wrong with you then?

GipFace

Post by GipFace » Sat May 05, 2012 11:13 am

...what the fsck

Anonymous Guy

Post by Anonymous Guy » Sat May 05, 2012 11:59 am

Point is, maybe I screw up with cracks like that, but there's a reason why I even made that Cranky Kong simile in the first place. And sure you might deserve it, but then I'd have to say more about others than I'd be comfortable with, since they haven't done themselves any favors either. If it's a shallow reason, so be it, at least I stand by my beliefs.

Of course, before you call me immature, ask yourself this: do you even care to deal with the problems with your own actions? If you don't, you are missing the point of these posts.

GipFace

Post by GipFace » Sat May 05, 2012 12:34 pm

Hi Juigi

Sven

Post by Sven » Sat May 05, 2012 3:07 pm

battlecar battlecar

simple_bob

Post by simple_bob » Mon May 07, 2012 10:24 am

It's official, everyone is looking at this topic, but practically nobody is talking about it, so i'm going to say the tournament idea might be too far away with the dispersion level of the players in this community. But i will start registering players for league play, or for seasonal play, keep track of who plays who and track the stats of the outcome. I will begin making the levels for seasonal play, i will trade these maps to you by synchronizing with you through skype. my skype name is simple.bob and once we meet here, we can both turn on advance wars and do map trade with friends. The starting maps will be for competitive play-Small maps-ground based battles, the first two maps will be small economy and large economy, and we will move on to other forms of battlegrounds from productive to pre-deployed. I will even make maps with preset CO's(which is something we will have to do). Of course we can play any other maps too, write me on skype or here to sign up for seasonal play.

simple_bob

Post by simple_bob » Sun May 13, 2012 2:38 pm

for anyone who is interested in joining a league of players, there is not a tournament scheduled, but a league is being put together where i plan to assign ratings to players, not just 1st, 2nd, or 3rd, but ratings like chess, where a 1600 rating is a good player, 1800 rating is a strong player, 2000 rating is a great player, and 2200 rating is a master player. contact me here by sending me a message, or posting a message, or write me on skype(simple.bob) and i can include you in the list of players who want to form the league.

Narts

Post by Narts » Mon May 14, 2012 6:30 am

There's already an automated ladder like that based on an Elo like rating system over at AWN

But guess what

nobody uses it

GipFace

Post by GipFace » Wed May 16, 2012 5:12 pm

HEY THERE IS AN ADVANCED [sic] WARS TOURNAMENT GOING DOWN ON MAY 27TH

ALL YOU HAVE TO DO IS COME TO TORONTO

HEY SVEN YOU UP FOR IT? WE'LL PWN THE PLACE LIKE LAST TIME (not)

http://animenorth.com/docs/an2012_schedule.pdf

OK SIMPLE_BOB IF YOU HAVE SKILLZ YOU WILL HOP ON A PLANE AND CUM FACE US

simple_bob

Post by simple_bob » Thu May 17, 2012 4:17 am

look at that, an anime convention at a hotel..... sounds to me you should have a wireless connection, so pass me your friend code. I'm not into anime and that would just be a boring weekend for me, but you can enjoy the convention and meet me online, you have just about 3/2 weeks to send me your friend code, i'll be waiting.

simple_bob

Post by simple_bob » Thu May 17, 2012 4:28 am

hey narts, thanks for letting me know that the rating system is called elo, i am amazed at how much i don't know about gaming, considering how long i've been playing, :P but, being a mathematician i will try to follow what professor elo had in mind.

Forsythe

Post by Forsythe » Sun Dec 23, 2012 3:18 pm

I would like to sign up for your leauge simple bob.

If its going.
If not i would like to play some "fun" games vs you.
Thing is i dont use skype.

So we could use this forum for contact or use www.advancewarsnet.com
I am on there aswell, same nickname.

Or we use facebook. add me to your facebookfriends. My name is Xander Geldtmeijer