RadioShadow's Balance Hack

Talk about the shiny-new post-apocalyptic Advance Wars game here.
RadioShadow

Post by RadioShadow » Mon Feb 16, 2009 6:25 am

ROM Required - Advance Wars: Days of Ruin

Version - 1.0

To apply the patch to the rom, use UPS (Windows) or UPS (Mac)

To play the rom, use No$GBA or a Nintendo DS Flash Card.

If you are interested in making you own balance hack, check this topic out.

Changes:

:will:
Zone: 2
Boost: Ground Direct
Offence: +20%

:power:
Boost: Ground Direct
Offence: +70%

:brenner:
Zone: 3
Boost: All
Defence: +20%

Other: Heal all units by 3HP

:lin:
Zone: 1
Boost: Ground

Movement: +1
Range: +1
Vison: +2

:isabella:

Offence: +90%

:tasha:
Boost: Direct Attack
Offence: +30%

Offence: +30%
Movement: +2

:gage:
Boost: Indirect

Range: +2

:forsythe:
Zone: 5
Offence: +10%
Defence: +10%

:waylon:
Boost: Ground and Air

Boost: Ground and Air
Defence: +90%

:greyfield:
Boost: Ground and Sea

Boost: Ground and Sea
Other: Refill all units fuel, ammo and materials

:penny:
Other: All units don't get affected by the weather

Other: Changes the weather three times

:tabitha:
Zone: 0
Offence: +40%

Offence: +40%
Other: Laser does damage in a certain area, deals 8HP to units

:caulder:
Other: Heals units by 2HP

Delta_Angelfire

Re: RadioShadow's Balance Hack

Post by Delta_Angelfire » Mon Feb 16, 2009 3:09 pm

Penny still seems way underpowered. You boosted(?) some others but penny didn't get any significant change (or not a hackable one). Tasha gets a wtf? Max?

Will and Isabella's powers get the best of Tabi's original power while tabi herself is forever doomed to only be useful in a rocket (and an unhackable power nerf?). Caulder too is weaker/comparable to original Will.

Waylon seems good, but I don't think greyfield's power is strong enough to warrant not boosting.

Lin's power got a huge boost, but even Gage went up a zone size with no significant drawback? Would be brokenz If it weren't for the RARG SMASH cos.

My evaluation -
Gage/Isa/Will > Brenner/Lin/Tasha/Waylon >>> Forsythe > Greyfield > Caulder/Tabi/Penny

JustTeaThankYou2

Post by JustTeaThankYou2 » Wed Jul 12, 2017 3:47 pm

*generic +10%/+10% bonus, typo.... not genetic :oops:

waterelemental87

Post by waterelemental87 » Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:10 pm

Guess what folks? Thanks to RadioShadow, there's a new mod studio compatible with Windows 10's Visual Basic Net. Yay! New features were added too, such as the ability to increase and decrease luck or capture rate, things we haven't seen since AW1 and AW2. Woo! Time to make a few boring COs more dynamic. Like Lin. Nintendo was like, "Duhhhrr... ground units and Fog of War bonus I guess...?" Pffft. :geshrug:

My goal is to make COs in this game more relevant. In the vanilla game, you can skate through a battle without ever fielding one. I want to make it so failing to field them is a stupid idea and is done at one's own peril.

All my stat changes listed below will include the hidden +10% attk +10% def all COs have. I prefer to see them in with the bonus totals. So for example, Will has a +20% Attack. But because the hidden bonus all COs have, his real Zone Bonus is actually +30% Offense +10% Defense. This is how I intend to list them.

Changes:

:will:
Boost: Ground Direct Vehicles (no infantry)
Attack: +30%
Defense: +10%
Other: +10% Luck

Boost: Ground Direct Vehicles (no infantry)
Attack: +50%
Other: +20% Luck, +2 Move

Will is pretty solid. Added a boost to his Luck. Why? In the story, Will is a willful (heh) youth, self assured, but a little reckless. Sometimes he makes it through on dumb luck alone. And now that trend is represented in his stats. Further, a much bigger bonus was added to his Power so that now it's actually worth sacrificing his enlarged zone to use it. I took away his bonus from Infantry since that's Lin's new deal now.

:brenner
Attack: +10%
Defense: +30%
Other: +1 Movement, +5% Luck

Defense sucks in this game. I experimentally had an infantry attack another infantry to test it. While standing in Woods the defending infantry took 6 damage every time with a 30% terrain defense bonus. Adding Brenner's default 30% bonus on top of the terrain bonus caused them to take 5 damage. So doubling their defense from +30% to +60% made a difference of 1 whole damage... That sucks. So I gave him a movement bonus. His new +1 movement to all units in his zone can do some great things. It also fits with his story of always being on the move and rushing to rescue whomever he can.

Defense: +60%
Other: Heal all units by 3HP

Even MOAR defense. Note: he loses his movement bonus when his Power is on; this represents him being dug-in and making a stand, like he did after the Rubinelle-Lazurian conflict... poor guy... (the luck goes away then too)

:lin:
Boost: Infantry, Bikes, All Transports, Recon, Flares, Anti-Tanks
Other: +1 Movement, +1 Vision, +50% Capture Rate :gecap:

Boost: Infantry, Bikes, All Transports, Recon, Flares, Anti-Tanks
Attack: +40%
Defense: +40%
Other: +2 Movement, +2 Vision, +100% Capture Rate :gecap:

Ahhh Lin... her default powers were so bland. Thanks to Radioshadow's new modding tool, I was able to change her, drawing inspiration from AW2's Sammi. Why? Well, not only is Lin a calculating tactician, but she's an elite soldier, personally applying the coup de grace to the mad tyrant, Greyfield. To represent this, all her infantry are crack-commando teams capable of infiltration and expert sabotage. Lin herself is adept at keeping focused on the next objective and securing it with an absolute economy of action; hence, she has earned the stat buff of faster capture rate, which gets really crazy when you use her power.

Since any transport capable of carrying infantry gets her bonus, Gunboats get it too, which makes her a little capable at sea.

Anti Tanks are manned by footmen, they aren't ridden in. So I gave her a bonus to those too. Finally, the bonus to her Recons and Flares was decided on because I almost never use those units. Lin's being much stronger will provide a reason to use them, giving her a more unique play style than other COs.

As a drawback, Lin's CO Zone size stayed the same, 1, which will make her power meter difficult to fill and capture bonus tricky to take advantage of.

:isabella:
Attack: +20%
Defense: +20%
Other: +1 Vision, +10% Luck

Other: +2 Movement, +2 Range, +2 Vision, +10% Luck

Buffed with a lil bit of everything to compete with the other newly enhanced COs. Seemed appropriate for an all-rounder like Isabella.

:tasha:
Boost: Air Units
Attack: +60%

Boost: Air Units
Attack: +60%
Defense: +315%
Other: +2 Movement, -10% Luck

For something as squishy and easily countered as air, this boost felt needed. The +2 movement is remarkably gratifying, and the increase in size of her CO zone was long overdue. The super-defense granted by her :power: , a mirror of Waylon's default CO Power bonus, is supposed to represent the idea that her air units are moving so fast it's almost impossible to hit them. Sonic boom! The high speed decreases her accuracy a bit, represented by the -10% Luck.

:gage:
Boost: Indirect & Navy
Other: +1 Range

Other: +2 Range

Indirect units already have considerable firepower. Gage doesn't need more damage, he needs range! Now any indirect unit within his zone gets +1 range. Quite powerful, but it differentiates him as a CO. The original version of Gage felt bland on the battle field. He was basically a boring version of Isabella. Now he has his own gimmick. Woo!

:forsythe:
Zone: 5
Other: Heal all units by 1, +5% Luck, +20% Capture Rate :gecap:

The 20/20 big zone was cool, but it wasn't much different from Isabella until I added the healing. The 1 healing added makes him feel more unique despite lacking a CO power. It also represents that his troops are grizzled veterans, fully dedicated to their honorable leader. As such, they are harder to kill.

The increase capture rate is because of his honorable reputation; people aren't afraid of his troops' occupations. They know he's a good man who'll protect them instead of executing POWs and civilians like Greyfield does... His expert troops are also more accurate than most, represented in the +5% Luck.

:waylon:
Boost: Air
Other: Heal all air units by 1, -10% Luck

Boost: Air
Defense: +315%
Other: Heal all air units by 2, +1 Movement, -10% Luck,

I made him the opposite of Tasha, more centered on defense and staying alive (because he's a f**king coward). The minor healing factor represents him diverting attention to saving his own skin, but that lowers his accuracy (luck)

:greyfield:
Boost: Navy, Seaplanes, Battle Copters, and War Tanks
Defense: +40%
Other: -10% Luck

Boost: Navy, Seaplanes, Battle Copters, and War Tanks
Other: Refill all units fuel, ammo and materials, -5% Luck

Lets face it. Navy units just aren't everyone's favorite and the default Greyfield sucked. Badly. This version gives you a big enough boost to incentivize the use of his sea units and copters. Remember, navy units are the most expensive in the game, which is the reason I made his bonuses so big. Story-wise this represents his amassed wealth. He can afford the best armor and payloads for his navy units to crush the hated Lazurians across the sea. His bonus now also applies to the War Tank, which is basically a Battleship on wheels. Its the biggest and most expensive, plus War Tanks were Caulder's invention, and he was an eager ally of Caulder's. This makes him usable on land maps. His Luck Penalty is a trade off for adding War Tanks to his buff list, and to represent how his arrogance gives him blind-spots / his troops are only loyal out of fear.

:penny:
All units don't get affected by the weather.
Other: +30% Luck

Changes the weather for 3 rounds. All units don't get affected by the weather.
Other: +60% Luck

Lucky Penny. Get it? gah -.- sorry. In her original form she was sub-par until you got her CO power. Now I decided her gimmick is Luck, sorta like AW1's Nell. Remember, although the weather lasts 3 rounds the other global buffs only last the first turn of her power. When she uses her Power, her defense goes up, because her troops are accustomed to the wild weather whereas others are not.

:tabitha:
Zone: 0
Attack: +70%
Defense: +70%

Attack: +70%
Defense: +70%
Other: Bomb does damage in a certain area, AI controlled, favors total HP damage. deals 8HP to units

Small buffs, because bias :heart:

:caulder:
Attack: +50%
Defense: +50%
Other: Heals units by 5HP, -50% Capture Rate, -10% Luck

-10% nerf to attk/def. Still potent as hell. Mostly left him the way he is because he's a reward unlockable who is supposed to kick butt. And since nobody plays online anymore, I fight against him when I want more challenge. The reduction in Capture Rate is meant to slow him down and make him somewhat beatable lol. It also represents his lack of interest in any objective other than observing the results of his 'fascinating' tests. The Luck debuff is because he's an evil sh*t and easily distracted by taking notes on the violence going on around him.