First turn strategies

Talk about the shiny-new post-apocalyptic Advance Wars game here.
Modular

First turn strategies

Post by Modular » Tue Aug 03, 2010 12:16 pm

I'll admit that this is a rather weird question, but how do you generally start your games (the first few turns)?
I had played AWDS for a bit of time before switching to DoR, and I was surprised at the difference in tactics. In DS your HQ was almost always surrounded by nearby neutral properties and you had a very small starting income. Thus I fell into the habit of (and instructing my learning friends) to always start your first turn with only infantry.

With the increase in infantry cost, the introduction of bikes, and the increased distance from neutral territories my strategy turned almost immediately to spamming bikes in the early game. Just recently I was playing a wi-fi match where my opponent began with a rig and then followed this up with mechs. After be soundly thumped several games in a row I tried out the tactic for myself and found it to be enormously effective (not only for the capture phase, but also in getting mechs up to the frontlines later on in the match).

Has anyone else found any particular strategy to be good in the first few turns, or have I more or less hit the main ones?
Lash loves her Blowhogs ;)

Random Wi-Fi Scorecard
Wins: -
Loss: -
Draw: -

a noob

Re: First turn strategies

Post by a noob » Tue Aug 03, 2010 7:26 pm

It depends on the map. An opening on a map with two bases and an airport and more starting props will open up differently compared to two base + HQ.

For the first instance, where income isn't limiting, there are many options. The early rig is an effective way to move mechs, as is a T-copter, and gives mechs the mobility they lack. Assuming that an airport is standard, T-copter is better than the rig in this regard (better pathing and the ability to flank are the biggest advantages, along with a base able to produce a non-rig unit). The biggest advantage with using a transport in the manner you do is that it gives a tempo advantage in an otherwise slow unit. It seems like a relatively solid opening. You may be behind in the beginning, but you should be able to meet the funds advantage after your transport has done its job several times. This opening seems weak to b-copter play.

On a three base map with whatever other props (10k funds)-
1st base builds rig-5000
2nd+3rd build mech-5000

Compare to standard bike production (I opt for bikes over inf if funds allow for it)-
All bases build bike-7500

The bike build has several advantages over this mech build. For 2500 less, I have one more available fighting/capturing unit, which puts me at an initial advantage. Also, you only have one mech at a time with up to 9 mobility (mech move 2 then load, rig move 6 and drop off 1), whereas I have 3 bikes with 5 mobility, giving me a zoning advantage. If I keep spamming bikes while you keep spamming mechs, the bikes will eventually outperform the mechs/rig combination in terms of map control. Also, since this build is cheaper and allows for faster caps/income, it allows me to purchase tech units (tank/copter), which are essential in an army (in my book, at least).

However, higher mobility mechs will pay off later on with the easier captures. I feel that it would be more effective to go rig/t-copter tech a few turns in the game (maybe day 3 with some funds saved up) as opposed to day one. Rigs are also surprisingly durable, since many bland units cannot OHKO a rig, and if your mechs survive, since they have only 3 ammo, the supply ability of rigs offers a tactical advantage. This build seems to favor a better midgame transition as opposed to early game control. This build is also less vulnerable to vehicles when compared to three bikes.

These are solid openings many people use.

However, there is also a risky set of openings that is high risk high reward cheese. It requires your opponent to be incompetent (not know counters properly) or fog of war to be very effective. You can win within the first few days, but if it fails, you are in a position to lose.

Most cheeses consist of rushes and rely on incompetence. A CO tank rush can prove devastating if you don't know to counter it with a b-copter. A CO recon rush can severely hurt your opening economy if you continue to churn mechs/bikes. Most people know counters to stuff. However, I will do it here and there, and if it succeeds, it gives me a large enough of an advantage to win.

On a map like Burger Isle (I play as Tabitha here), I sometimes go for a day 4 duster after an infantry build the earlier days.This gives me early air supremacy, as it prevents enemy copter play, and allows me to harrass both fronts easily while my opponent needs to buy anti-air for both fronts to be covered. This is what I want though. I proceed to build an MD tank on the southern front and CO it, and gain control over the southern front. My duster prevents b-copter/bomber use, while the CO MD can punch through most things that the factory churns out for an easy charge. This control will eventually transition into an HQ cap. I play the northern front defensively, using cheap meatshields and artys to prevent loss of the northern properties. This strategy has worked ~75% of the time, and when the strategy fails, it doesn't result in my instant loss either.

In general, openings will vary with maps, but it usually takes the form of building one form of infantry consistently. You do need to know when to tech though, as teching to late will result in your opponent pressuring you with you trapped in the corner, but teching too early can be easily punished as well.

Anonymous Guest

Post by Anonymous Guest » Wed Aug 04, 2010 10:34 am

The following is a joke.

Why not use Forsythe's secret CO power? (Single DS)
End your turn and surrender. Results are similar to using Caulder.

Truthfully, if there are two factories, I create a bike and a mech. If one, a bike.
But it doesn't matter 'cause I always lose.

DTaeKim
Star CO
Star CO

Post by DTaeKim » Fri Aug 06, 2010 1:00 pm

The map has to be something else if you're building Mech + Rig on Day 1.
What can change the nature of a man?

Modular

Post by Modular » Sat Aug 07, 2010 12:22 am

DTaeKim wrote:The map has to be something else if you're building Mech + Rig on Day 1.
Not sure what you mean here, but generally I don't build both on turn one. I generally start with the rig and follow it up with a mech and bike/infantry.
Lash loves her Blowhogs ;)

Random Wi-Fi Scorecard
Wins: -
Loss: -
Draw: -

DTaeKim
Star CO
Star CO

Post by DTaeKim » Sat Aug 07, 2010 7:59 am

I'm suggesting the map must be very unusual if you're building a Mech and Rig.

What kind of map requires those units when you can build three Bikes or five Infantry instead?
What can change the nature of a man?