Competitive maps and settings?

Talk about the shiny-new post-apocalyptic Advance Wars game here.
Sodapop

Competitive maps and settings?

Post by Sodapop » Wed Dec 01, 2010 3:56 pm

What are the standard maps for competitive play and what are the settings? IE. Fog on/off, weather, etc.

I am new to competitive AW, but have been playing casually for a long time. I want to really get into this game even though the community is quite small, I got a bunch of friends that I have started competing with and it would be nice to know what settings/maps to play on and what maps to create.

Thanks in advance,

Sodapop.

DxDyDzD

Re: Competitive maps and settings?

Post by DxDyDzD » Wed Dec 01, 2010 4:16 pm

Fog off, clear weather (unless you want to give Penny a handicap), no starting income, 1000G funds, airports included, no ports.
Day limit is around 25 but most games are decided before that.
Rationale for each:
Fog: Only makes games longer.
Weather, funds: Default setting is the best. For funds, with 1000G per prop, on 2 starting bases + HQ maps, it's just enough for 2 Inf on Day 1.
Airports: No airports means Lin and Tabitha have an edge with a CO Tank.
Ports:
GipFace wrote:Whoever reloads gunboats first wins
Most of the maps included in the game are bad because they are symmetrical, so the first player has an advantage. You're better off creating maps from AWBW, which give the second player an Infantry to balance things out.

Sodapop

Post by Sodapop » Wed Dec 01, 2010 4:54 pm

I know this is going to get me branded as "noob" for while for this question but why fog off? Isn't that where a lot of strategy would come into play with surprise attacks and such?

JuigiKario

Post by JuigiKario » Wed Dec 01, 2010 5:11 pm

Sodapop wrote:I know this is going to get me branded as "noob" for while for this question but why fog off? Isn't that where a lot of strategy would come into play with surprise attacks and such?
Hidden Tabitank OHKing sight units. And trying to guess the opponent's building based on their funds. The latter is probably possible to an extent, but the math involved won't be friendly.
Captain of the Battle Car Squad. Those Transport Planes really help.

SRC's new board. Please come and join.

DxDyDzD

Post by DxDyDzD » Wed Dec 01, 2010 5:12 pm

For the same reason people play no items, Fox only, Final Destination: to reduce luck factors. Just as how random item spawns can turn the tables on the winning player because the RNG hates him, fog can destroy any advantage a stronger player had by punishing him severely for running into an ambush all because he chose the wrong path to move his units, like 2S 2E ("OH NO!") instead of 1S 1E 1S 1E (no ambush).
It slows down the game a lot as well, since:
1) you need 1 unit to spot and 1 unit to fire.
2) in order to avoid running into a trap, which will cost you a lot, you'll play very cautiously.
3) meatshields will be harder to break (see point 1).

Sodapop

Post by Sodapop » Wed Dec 01, 2010 5:47 pm

Not so sure about Fox only as I played a lot of SSB and SSBM back in the day but I understand what you guys are getting at now. I just played a game with no fog and it turns the game into more of a chess game which makes a lot of sense competitively. Thanks for the information guys! It's a shame the community is dead aside from a few people, this game has a seemingly large amount of depth.

deemo hasnt played competitive in a wihle but OH WELL

Post by deemo hasnt played competitive in a wihle but OH WELL » Thu Dec 02, 2010 1:52 am

Well, most of the reasoning is that it shifts Tabitha into broken. Competitive play is meant to try and make all COs equal, or at least all those that are possible to be made equal. No fog means more balanced play. Airports are the only way Waylon is playable, but b-copters are actually viable now and used in core gameplay. We tried to make sea work, but it just didn't happen. With the ruleset right now, all the COs in the fair tier (Will, Lin, Brenner, Gage, Waylon, Tabitha) are about the same ability and there aren't any huge gaps in playability.

Sodapop

Post by Sodapop » Thu Dec 02, 2010 10:28 am

When I remake the S rank or A rank maps on AWBW people are saying to change the "forest vomit" to wasteland or something else. Should I replace them all with wasteland and ruins or should I keep them as is?

edit: Also, how do you set your random WI-FI settings to include only a certain amount of maps?

Drake

Post by Drake » Thu Dec 02, 2010 4:50 pm

You don't have to replace every forest just mix up the terrain a bit. Besides making the map less ugly forest clumps can make it much harder to deal with things like a Lin CO tank. 3 def stars means you might not have that 2hko you desperately need.