Nintendo Wifi for DS and Wii Shutting Down

Talk about the shiny-new post-apocalyptic Advance Wars game here.
Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO
3DS Code: 2535-4646-7163

Nintendo Wifi for DS and Wii Shutting Down

Postby Xenesis » Thu Feb 27, 2014 5:59 pm

http://www.nintendo.com.au/termination- ... connection

Get those games of AW4 in before May.
IST wrote:Even the worst individual needs to discover the joys of a chicken statue that is also a pregnant blonde housewife.

GipFace

Re: Nintendo Wifi for DS and Wii Shutting Down

Postby GipFace » Fri Feb 28, 2014 12:22 am

WHAT THE HELL

THAT IS crumpets

SCREW YOU NINTENDO

Xenesis, think you can hack the ROM to direct it to another server? >_>

Okay JSRulz, we need your Custom Wars Tactics to succeed more than ever, and FAST. Once WFC shuts down, all the PvP strategy and lore that went with AW4 goes with it. I will seriously leave the community if WFC shuts down and nothing replaces it.

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Postby Xenesis » Fri Feb 28, 2014 11:35 am

Getting the ROM to connect to another server is probably not a problem (heck, Pokemon has done it for a while for ages with FakeDNS), but it's getting the server faked so that people can connect to each other.

Edit: I found this happening over at GBATemp Link.

Basically capturing Wifi connections so people can figure out how to spoof it/fake it later. I lack the hardware to do this (mainly the router part for capture), but other people doing this could be beneficial, especially to have a set of AW4 data.

Edit 2: Reading the details on Smash certainly confirms what I thought - Smash uses an encrypted connection to the Nintendo Master server to authenticate, then produce matchmaking. The game then runs in unencrypted P2P mode for the actual game. I would be pretty unsurprised if every Wii and DS game followed the same procedure. And SSL encryption breaking is certainly beyond my talents.

Edit 3: Futher digging shows that Nintendo's Wii/DS Online service was run through GameSpy previously, and the likely reports are that the new owner, GLU Mobile is basically mercilessly cutting down anything that isn't up to date.
IST wrote:Even the worst individual needs to discover the joys of a chicken statue that is also a pregnant blonde housewife.

ALAKTORN

Postby ALAKTORN » Sat Mar 01, 2014 9:17 am

I was about to make a topic about this… really sad news :(

I hope hackers or whoever will find a way to set up private servers or something…

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Postby Xenesis » Sat Mar 01, 2014 12:31 pm

Looking at their new guides, the Desmume online version should work the same as dolphin.

JSRulz

Postby JSRulz » Sat Mar 01, 2014 10:26 pm

AWN, AWBW, and then AW. Hmmm.. Not good.

I am going to keep very close watch of this thread. I'm really hoping a good workaround can be found so we don't have to hack together a quick network. But, desperate times call for desperate measures. It is unfortunate, but I will do the best I can with what I can control. :gesalute:

GipFace

Postby GipFace » Sat Mar 08, 2014 4:27 am

Even if someone figured out how to reroute AW4, that's not how the game can be revived. That sticky with AW4 wi-fi emulation didn't attract any pvp interest because it's too much effort, plus the information is hidden away in a forum and I can't advertise it anywhere else without my post being deleted. The only way this game will survive is through a web client, a la pokemonshowdown.com or duelingnetwork.com. Pokemon Showdown and Dueling Network are insanely more popular than battling via the official Nintendo games because there's no accessibility barrier.

Whoever can provide a good browser AW experience first shall be revered.

Oh, and AW5 would be nice, too, but Nintendo is almost as stubborn as Konami when it comes to making sound gaming decisions.

Heroic Spyro

Postby Heroic Spyro » Sat Mar 08, 2014 9:02 am

It's not just Nintendo GipFace its other stuff too like Microsoft and their Xbox and Sony and their Playstation. As more interest goes into first-person shooter games as it makes people less smart and craving it good old good games like Advance Wars, Battatlion Wars and others will die out. Also grahpics are getting better. Also, you right rerouting AW4 won't revive the game. You need to take a new step or something new and closer to 3D to make people to get interested into it.

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Postby Xenesis » Fri Apr 04, 2014 12:18 pm

Postby Guest » Tue Apr 15, 2014 4:42 am

[quote="GipFace"]The only way this game will survive is through a web client, a la pokemonshowdown.com or duelingnetwork.com. Pokemon Showdown and Dueling Network are insanely more popular than battling via the official Nintendo games because there's no accessibility barrier.
[/quote]

Does anyone want to do this? Because I kind of want to.

Blame Game

Postby Blame Game » Thu Apr 17, 2014 5:55 pm

^ JakeSamiRulz and crew are already working on something like that, actually. I'd love to see it happen

Postby Guest » Mon Apr 21, 2014 2:36 pm

Pbth, figures someone would beat me to it.

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Postby Xenesis » Tue May 20, 2014 2:32 pm

Crazy hackers have developed a Nintendo Wifi Alternate server that's in testing.

Details at: Link

Currently requires access to some form of Homebrew for it, however!

Public test server available at 75.127.5.215.

Be sure to delete your WFC profile or save file before connecting to the server or else it will give you an error when you connect.
DS Configuration

1) Go to Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection Setup
2) If you haven't already, delete your WFC profile. This will allow you to make a new profile on the new server for all games. This only has to be done once per console, not per game
3) Choose connection of choice
4) Set "Auto-obtain DNS" to "No"
5) Insert 75.127.5.215 into Primary DNS and Secondary DNS
6) Save Settings

Patch NDS ROM

1) Download pleonex's SslPatcher v1.4: http://www.mediafire.com/download/s5ucc ... r_v1.4.zip
2) Drag and drop ROM file onto SslPatcher.exe
3) Use ROM file that now has [NOSSL] at the end of its filename

Portmanteur

Postby Portmanteur » Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:13 am

Has anyone else been able to connect to the Public Test Server? Through significant trial and error, I was able to get mine to work. Now I'm just wondering if anyone else has been able to connect and complete a battle.

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Postby Xenesis » Mon Jul 14, 2014 2:35 pm

I've managed to get an actual NDS + Flashcard to connect to the test server, but I haven't been able to get an emulated version to work at present.

Return to “Days of Ruin/Dark Conflict General”