Speedrunning

Talk about the shiny-new post-apocalyptic Advance Wars game here.
GipFace

Speedrunning

Post by GipFace » Sat Feb 07, 2015 12:16 am

IT'S DONE AND IT'S ON VIDEO!

---

I thought this year's AGDQ (Awesome Games Done Quick) was fantastic. However, one of the games was Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn with a 3-hour slot (see here). Come on, 3 hours? Really? And you know how much I dislike FE for crapping all over the AW franchise. So here's a community project!

Goals
- To find reliable speedrun strategies for the AW4 campaign
- High score is irrelevant: we want speedy strategies that don't require significant luck

Why AW4 instead of the other AW games?
- Possible to complete in under 1 hour (to compare, the AW2 TAS is over 1 hour, and the AW1/AW3 speedruns on YouTube are just under 2 hours)
- Stylus play is significantly faster than d-pad play
- No CO power animations
- Quicksave and quickload lets us do risky plays without losing much time
- Easier to practice because of level select
- Last but not least, it's the best game in the franchise and you know it

-

Expected times (days) [rounded up to the nearest :15]

C1: 0:45 (4)
C2: 0:45 (5)
C3: 1:15 (5)
C4: 1:00 (2)
C5: 1:15 (5)
C6: 2:30 (9) 1 save point
C7: 1:30 (6) 1 save point
C8: 1:15 (5)
C9: 1:45 (5)
C10: 2:45 (7)
C11: 1:15 (5)
C12: 1:45 (4)
C13: 2:15 (6) 1 save point
C14: 2:30 (6)
C15: 2:00 (7) 1 save point
C16: 1:00 (3)
C17: 1:15 (5)
C18: 2:15 (4) 1 save point
C19: 1:45 (3)
C20: 4:00 (10) 2 save points
C21: 3:00 (7) 1 save point
C22: 6:00 (10) 1 save point
C23: 3:45 (7)
C24: 3:15 (6)
C25: 4:00 (9) 2 save points
C26: 3:00 (5) 3 save points

TOTAL: 57:45 (150 days)
Last edited by GipFace on Mon Mar 02, 2015 8:48 am, edited 46 times in total.

HPD
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Re: Speedrunning

Post by HPD » Sat Feb 07, 2015 12:39 am

Good stuff. I'd love to see where you can take this. I think it would have a chance of getting on GDQ, and that would be pretty amazing. Just also think of the 'wow'-factor. As in, pull some pretty spectacular stunts throughout the run to make things entertaining.
"So when I say the fudge shaman flies he goddamn well flies and that's that." - Narts
"My motto is that there are far too many women in the world to waste time with men." - thefalman
"It's just that I'm not really aware of how a common conversation goes." - Imano Ob, talking on MSN about talking on MSN
"As for FE8, that was IS' variant of Man Spam - Dudes with Swords edition." - Xenesis

GipFace

Post by GipFace » Sat Feb 07, 2015 9:36 am

Just got 12:22 for C1-C9 today (volume warning)

http://www.twitch.tv/gipstream2/c/6055941

This is mostly optimized so I'll move on to C10-C19 now!
Last edited by GipFace on Sat Feb 07, 2015 10:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

ALAKTORN

Post by ALAKTORN » Sat Feb 07, 2015 10:10 am

C4 3D strat (2D might be faster but I can’t figure it out or requires too much luck)
Day 1:
Arty 1N
Enemy D1:
Bike Attacks Mech goes 8-4 (5HP are OK too)
Day 2:
Suicide 4/5HP Mech into Mech (even non-suicide can work)
Kill with Arty
Move Recon 1N of 8HP Bike and attack
Enemy D2:
2/3HP Bike suicides on Inf
Both Recons attack yours, going to 8/9HP
Bike attacks Mech going to 8HP
Day 3:
Bike attacks Bike, Mech kills it. If you think a 70% could OHKO it, use the Flare instead. (4HP Mech does 22% counter)
Tank kills W Recon – if not dead, use 3HP Recon for kill
Arty kills Recon – if not dead, use 9HP Inf to kill

Oh my god I’ve just had an enemy Recon not attack mine. Goddamnit. Edit: wow OK a lot of crumpets can go wrong. But you can adapt to it for a minor loss in time.

ALAKTORN

Post by ALAKTORN » Sat Feb 07, 2015 12:34 pm

C3 strategy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sH_oF2Mq8JU

Last Mech movement is a mistake, don’t do it.
Last edited by ALAKTORN on Sun Feb 08, 2015 6:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

ALAKTORN

Post by ALAKTORN » Sun Feb 08, 2015 12:18 am

While playing around I discovered that the RNG is real fudge easy to manipulate. Unlike AWDS, it has no frame-based advance at the start of the AI turn, so if you save right before it, its outcome will never change. It might not even have any frame-based advances in general, which could mean that it may even be possible to manipulate during a speedrun, but that’ll require some testing.
USA ROM RNG: 0214BFA8

Edit: nevermind, I thought the frame advances when engaging battle could be avoided by attacking directly with stylus, but it doesn’t work.
Last edited by ALAKTORN on Mon Feb 09, 2015 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

ALAKTORN

Post by ALAKTORN » Sun Feb 08, 2015 6:42 am

C4 D1 the AI Bike can attack Arty which fudge everything up.

C15 strategy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k8E-4-WiW44

2 extra movements are possible to make it more reliable: AA to destroy 3HP Rockets, AA to stop Recon at the end (you can see this in the vid after a reload). Luck required for last Recon kill:

Gippy: Enemy recon will do 31%, possible 9 luck
Gippy: Counterattack is 20%, possible 5 luck (Note: this is with 7HP, if AI gets max luck it’s a 6HP 17%)
Gippy: So 20% and 5 luck, then 76% and 8 luck
Gippy: 96% and 13 luck, yeah it can fail

Notable fact: Brenner survives! Lol.

GipFace

Post by GipFace » Mon Feb 09, 2015 5:22 am

I HUCKING FATE C10

Wow, what an awful map to speedrun, best I got after a bunch of experimentation was 7 days, 2:56. If anyone has a better C10 strategy, please feel free to share it! Thank you!

Once we hit C20-C23 it's gonna be a nightmare :(

Mark999

Post by Mark999 » Mon Feb 09, 2015 5:58 am

You can finish AW1 in less than half an hour ya silly :lol:

GipFace

Post by GipFace » Mon Feb 09, 2015 6:07 am

Yeah, 'cuz doing the map glitch over and over will surely get AGDQ approval :roll:

GipFace

Post by GipFace » Mon Feb 09, 2015 1:20 pm

Okay, I found a completely reliable 6-day strategy for C14! This is one of the "wow" moments HPD will see in the speedrun. It was actually easier to figure out than C10!

Timed up to C17. The speedrun at this point should be just slightly over 28:00. 9 missions to go with about 32 minutes to spare!

ALAKTORN

Post by ALAKTORN » Mon Feb 09, 2015 2:11 pm

C4 strategy take 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WEypW5OKMww

D1 Bike can survive with 1HP. If that happens, move your bike 1W of Recon D1. On D2, 5HP Inf moves 1S to destroy 1HP Bike, then you attack Recon with Recon then Mech, then attack Bike with Bike. If it keeps 3HP, it should suicide on its D2.
On D2, the NW Recon may survive. Nothing can be done about it, win on D3 with a loss of time.

I actually think my 3D strategy is faster, but this is much more reliable.

GipFace

Post by GipFace » Wed Feb 11, 2015 2:07 am

Expected times are now up to C19, and the total expected time is 32:30. My latest practice run cleared C19 in 33:57, which isn't too bad.

Now the REAL fun begins. It's gonna be a nightmare figuring out how to do C20-C23 quickly. We've got about 24 minutes to deal with the last 7 missions. Is <1h possible? It'll be close!

GipFace

Post by GipFace » Thu Feb 12, 2015 7:37 pm

Today I got 31:20 through C19, beating the expected total time! This was really good except for the C15 restart and the extra day on C18. Also, didn't place my north sub correctly on C12 (that enemy N battleship is supposed to ram into it)
http://www.twitch.tv/gipstream2/c/6097778

The remaining C20-C26 splits in that video are the "WR" times from this speedrun by some French dude. Note that I'm already over an hour ahead of him LOL

GipFace

Post by GipFace » Fri Feb 13, 2015 11:44 pm

C20 is absolutely miserable. I can win in 10 days (score 395 to 404) but I need to save at two points. There are THREE ways to play the endgame depending on where the enemy t-copter and antitank move, and if the enemy builds a md tank or war tank. I must memorize all of them to pull it off.

Just got 10/428: 150S 150P 128T, but it's not reliable...

GipFace

Post by GipFace » Sat Feb 14, 2015 4:54 am

(C20 D2D was here, now obsolete)
Last edited by GipFace on Fri Feb 27, 2015 1:14 am, edited 12 times in total.

GipFace

Post by GipFace » Sat Feb 14, 2015 7:55 am

C21 is straightforward but it takes a while because there are way too many units.

On to C22, which will most likely be the longest mission...

GipFace

Post by GipFace » Mon Feb 16, 2015 5:00 am

I have a 10-day rout with C22 that requires no luck. Unfortunately, expected time is 7:30, being by far the longest mission. There is no point going for an HQ capture when it's so heavily defended. In order to pull it off you need to destroy the 3 antitanks, and that's pretty much improbable. Even then, earliest HQ cap would be in 9 days.

GipFace

Post by GipFace » Wed Feb 18, 2015 8:55 am

Brought C22 down to 6:00 but now there's a save point. A bomber has to attack a certain way on day 2.

GipFace

Post by GipFace » Fri Feb 20, 2015 12:16 pm

Figured out C25. Estimated time for that one is 5:00.

...Which means the estimated total time is 60:30. There's gotta be room for improvement! I'm so close to going under an hour!

ALAKTORN

Post by ALAKTORN » Sat Feb 21, 2015 1:48 pm

My C25 strategy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WXv5Brl2DOk

The ending was bad. Fighter should move 2E in the corner, so Duster gets baited to attack from 1S. Then you put the Bomber and the TC next to the Duster, so it can’t move. There are a lot of random things that can occurr in this map, this strategy is made so that randomness affects it the least possible; but on the last days there is still randomness, if the AI builds an AA instead of the Duster you need to move differently. It could be done much faster with perfect luck. Perfect luck probably requires the AI loaded TC to go for your HQ rather than the middle Factory.

The Fighter suicide on D3 is actually rare and not necessary. You can kill it with AA (or Fighter if it’s in a good position) on D4. Likewise the D3 Bomber OHKO on Tank is unnecessary, AI D4 will join it with the wounded Tank (build order not affected).

If AI builds AA on D6, you don’t move the Bomber ahead (you keep it north of the bridge) so the AA gets baited by it without you doing extra movements. Then you just protect your capture with the air units.

Edit: I forgot to mention, you need to bring the full HP Bomber along for the capture, not the wounded one. This changes based on the AI Fighter’s decision roll on D3.

Edit2: Just got some really weird behaviour, AI only had 19k on D7 so it built another Duster instead of a Fighter. Still worked out, but that doesn’t look good… I’m not sure why it had no money, I saw a 9HP War Tank which means it got hit by something, I didn’t notice but I’m pretty sure it attacked the MD instead of the Tank, and then when it healed wasted too much money… Here’s the D8 position: http://i.imgur.com/yg9itGR.png

^In that situation, even a 3HP Duster can be good enough, with luck it does no damage to the HQ Mech.
Last edited by ALAKTORN on Sat Feb 21, 2015 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GipFace

Post by GipFace » Sat Feb 21, 2015 9:10 pm

This is great! Timed your C25 strategy to 4:15, so that means total estimated time is under an hour! Yahoo!

GipFace

Post by GipFace » Wed Feb 25, 2015 11:21 am

C20 breakthrough! I figured out a way to beat C20 on D9 without having to rely on the enemy S duster behaving. ALAKTORN gave me the idea of refining the HQ rush so that the only units required are fighter, duster, and the loaded t-copter.

I believe C20 is now down to 2 save points. Amazing! But it still relies on the N duster 1) attacking N inf over base inf, and 2) not retreating on D3.

EDIT: D10 not D9
Last edited by GipFace on Wed Feb 25, 2015 11:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ALAKTORN

Post by ALAKTORN » Wed Feb 25, 2015 4:26 pm

Amazing job. :0 Here’s my old C20 ending improvement: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8DRf3GHzWSY

Edit: I think I’ve improved C15 in reliability and possibly even speed. D1 is the same. On D2, don’t move the AA. On D3, move the AA to destroy Rockets from N (Rockets should’ve moved up a bit, and you should still be able to get the attack on the Arty after killing Rockets). That’s it.
Last edited by ALAKTORN on Wed Mar 02, 2016 6:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

GipFace

Post by GipFace » Fri Feb 27, 2015 1:37 am

Here's the C20 D2D updated. Most of the randomness comes from AA vs. Duster = 75%. The AI will do things differently if its dusters are at 2HP or 3HP. This is very ugly, but it gets the job done, and at least it's much faster than playing the map normally. You can't let the dusters successfully retreat; if they do, they'll eat funds while repairing, and the AI won't have enough funds to blunder in the endgame.

Remember that this is geared towards speed, not score. No numbers means move maximum.

D1
Cap industries
Inf + antiair N
Mech + bike S

D2
Finish caps
Mech S
Bike 2W cap
AA N
SAVE
Inf N cap (RNG unit)

Yellow must attack N inf with duster

D3
AA S
W inf 1W2S
Build AA
SAVE
W mech W (this becomes your RNG unit for the remainder of the mission)

Yellow must not retreat N duster (3hp won't retreat, 2hp usually retreats)

D4
E AA N KO BC
AA 1W4S
Build fighter
If yellow S duster attacked missiles, SAVE

If yellow S duster attacked missiles, it must be at 2hp and retreat

D5
COU fighter, 2S5E, KO duster if it's there
Build TC
E AA 2S1E

D6
Fighter 2E1N KO TC
E AA 1E3S KO inf
Inf to TC, 5E1N
Build duster

D7
Fighter 3E
TC 1E of fighter
E AA 1S1E
Duster 1S7E

D8
Fighter 5E1N, attack bomber if it's there
Duster E, KO bomber if it's there
TC E drop S

D9
Cap HQ
Fighter 1W of inf
TC 1N of inf
Duster 1S of inf

D10
You win

GipFace

Post by GipFace » Sat Feb 28, 2015 10:43 am

Got 57:02! Updated OP with the video.

I made a horrible mistake on C17 and had to restart, costing me a minute. I also forgot to destroy the last battleship in C21, and didn't attack the war tank on D3 for some reason in C24.

Definitely think sub-55:00 is possible, so I'll keep practicing for a run with no major errors!

ALAKTORN

Post by ALAKTORN » Sat Feb 28, 2015 7:56 pm

Definitely looks like sub 50 minutes is possible, who’d have thought! Couple better strategies, more practice for perfect memorization and faster movement and it’s there. There are still many instances where you could be mashing A but instead use the stylus.

On C10, I think you might want to amend your endgame so that the AA can’t attack the Fighter, so that the AI’s NE air units are still kept in check without moving by it (they’re only coming down because the Fighter is hit to 3HP by the AA). I think the 2nd priority unit would be the 7HP BC for the AA, so if it can’t reach the Fighter it would kill that. It may go for the TC though which could be a problem. But yeah I think at least that could be an improvable part, and then obviously there could be a totally different strat too.

You forgot to credit me for C1, C2 and C3 in the video description. :p

Edit: Made a new C11 strategy but it looks worse. The idea was to avoid moving Landers to avoid the extra dialogue, and to make no attacks. But I ended up needing so many movements that doing the attacks instead would probably save time.

D1 Mech and Inf into Gunboats, drop Mech from 1S of AI Gunboat, Inf Gunboat 2S, other Gunboat 7E
D2 Infboat max S, Mech 2S
D3 Infboat E, drop S; other Gunboat to bait Arty
D4 & 5 cap HQ

If this ends up slower you can still improve 2 movements in your own: on D1 drop the Rockets from the W Shoal so you can mash A, move the Infboat 2S so you can mash A to Wait. On D2 you just move it max S.

I also think you should try to find the 5D win on C13. You’re still winning in 6.

Edit2: C25 endgame can also be improved. Since you’re using the AA to kill the Fighter on D4, the AI has enough money to be consistent with its builds (Fighter first then Duster). In theory you don’t actually need to move the Bomber at all to protect the capture, but it would need some testing to check if it actually works. I’m thinking we might be able to get a D9 win using only the TC and the Fighter.

Edit3: C25 TAS strat (if D8 is slower): just do all as usual, but bait the AA all the way W with the wounded Fighter, and don’t move the Bombers/AA in the back after D3. Protect cap just with Fighter, CO Fighter should go 2S of your Fighter so it’s in range of the 10HP Bombers without needing to move them. Drop Mech on Mountain, Fighter 1E of Inf. AI needs to build W AA. D7 should be Fighter. Move TC 2S and win (moves around HQ might be improvable).

Still no idea why sometimes it builds AA Inf TC and others Duster. Otherwise there would be better RTA strats.

Compared to Gippy’s 57′02 WR the C25 endgame can be improved by cutting 2 moves. On D7 move the Fighter 1S of TC, don’t move the Bomber. AI Fighter should attack from 1S therefore guarding the HQ itself, then you guard from the other 2 spots with Bomber and TC.

ALAKTORN

Post by ALAKTORN » Sun Mar 01, 2015 10:54 pm

C8 5D strat

D1
E TCInf 4E 1S
W TC Inf 5E 1S
BC 6E
Tank E

D2
E TC SE
TC E
Tank E
BC 1N 2E

D3
BC 5E 1S
S TC 6E drop E
N TC drop

D4
Cap, BC 1N of HQ, TC 1W of it

D5
Cap

fudge crumpets but I couldn’t make it better without having to win luck rolls.

GipFace

Post by GipFace » Mon Mar 02, 2015 8:32 am

That C8 strat looks great, saves about :15 from the current strat. Thanks!

I don't want to run it again until we've refined a couple more strats, though.

ALAKTORN

Post by ALAKTORN » Mon Mar 02, 2015 9:00 pm

C22 definitely needs some serious work. STL got a 8/446 rout and says that a D9 cap would be the fastest for a speedrun.

His tips for a D9 speedrun strat:
1. D1 move S Fighter 3S 3E, to make AI’s second Bomber go into the Owl. (Edit: you also need to not move your units too far S.)
2. On AI’s D3 the War Tanks can go NW into the Owl instead of S.
3. Have the War Tank that gets CO’d built in the S Factory, then trap it with an injured Fighter.
4. CO Bomber is better than CO Tank (it can OHKO Anti-Tanks, 94% on Plains). No other Bomber is even required, but it probably would still help a lot in reducing luck.

You should really try it out on emulator, Gippy. Testing is a lot faster with multiple savestates, I could give you the ROM and save and even the RAM Watch (you can easily cheat to give yourself max luck or whatever).

Edit: I just noticed C21 Lin’s Gambit can be theoretically won in 5D. Maybe there’s a faster strategy for it.

Edit2:

[18:52:21] STL: co bomber destroys the missiles too
[18:53:12] STL: but you dont need to free n airport for 9 day cap anyway

Also what he builds: viewtopic.php?f=28&t=9909&start=1520#p383402

“I built Day 1 Tank, Day3 Bomber, Day 4 CO into it, Day 6 Bomber.”

In his D8 rout he joins Fighters on D4 and builds the 2nd Bomber then, though.
Last edited by ALAKTORN on Sat Mar 07, 2015 4:35 am, edited 5 times in total.

ALAKTORN

Post by ALAKTORN » Fri Mar 06, 2015 10:52 pm

C13 D5 D2D:

D1
Produce Seaplane.
RigInf into Lander, move N.
BS 2N 1E, mash A (attacks AA).

D2
Lander NE, drop E.
Cruiser destroys Gunboat. (Not necessary, I just think it’s faster than letting it move for 3 or possibly 4 days.)
Seaplane 3E 4N. (1W of BS.)
Produce Seaplane.
Save.
BS 2W 2N mash A (attacks MD).

D3
Seaplanes must not be called. If Infantry, you can still win on D6.
Rig mash A (drops Inf on Mountain).
BS 2W mash A (destroys AA).
N Seaplane destroys MD from E.
Seaplane moves 3E 4N.

D4
If Infantry got stopped, destroy the Tank from N and E with Seaplanes, then end day.
Otherwise:
Seaplanes destroy HQ Missiles.
Inf starts capture.

D5
Finish capture.
Last edited by ALAKTORN on Fri Jul 15, 2016 1:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Archangel Gabriel

Speedrunning

Post by Archangel Gabriel » Thu Mar 26, 2015 2:06 pm

[quote="GipFace"][b]IT'S DONE AND IT'S ON VIDEO![/b]

[youtube]<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/crkcHltJCVY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>[/youtube]

---

I thought this year's AGDQ (Awesome Games Done Quick) was fantastic. However, one of the games was Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn with a 3-hour slot (see [url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YufvVAXJcc0]here[/url]). Come on, 3 hours? Really? And you know how much I dislike FE for crapping all over the AW franchise. So here's a community project!

[b]Goals[/b]
- To find reliable speedrun strategies for the AW4 campaign
- High score is irrelevant: we want speedy strategies that don't require significant luck

[b]Why AW4 instead of the other AW games?[/b]
- Possible to complete in under 1 hour (to compare, the AW2 TAS is over 1 hour, and the AW1/AW3 speedruns on YouTube are just under 2 hours)
- Stylus play is significantly faster than d-pad play
- No CO power animations
- Quicksave and quickload lets us do risky plays without losing much time
- Easier to practice because of level select
- [b][i]Last but not least, it's the best game in the franchise and you know it***[/i][/b]

-

[b]Expected times (days) [rounded up to the nearest :15][/b]

C1: 0:45 (4)
C2: 0:45 (5)
C3: 1:15 (5)
C4: 1:00 (2)
C5: 1:15 (5)
C6: 2:30 (9) [i]1 save point[/i]
C7: 1:30 (6) [i]1 save point[/i]
C8: 1:15 (5)
C9: 1:45 (5)
C10: 2:45 (7)
C11: 1:15 (5)
C12: 1:45 (4)
C13: 2:15 (6) [i]1 save point[/i]
C14: 2:30 (6)
C15: 2:00 (7) [i]1 save point[/i]
C16: 1:00 (3)
C17: 1:15 (5)
C18: 2:15 (4) [i]1 save point[/i]
C19: 1:45 (3)
C20: 4:00 (10) [i]2 save points[/i]
C21: 3:00 (7) [i]1 save point[/i]
C22: 6:00 (10) [i]1 save point[/i]
C23: 3:45 (7)
C24: 3:15 (6)
C25: 4:00 (9) [i]2 save points[/i]
C26: 3:00 (5) [i]3 save points[/i]

TOTAL: 57:45 (150 days)[/quote]
***Exactly+yes (even though it got worse ratings than Dual Strike)

ALAKTORN

Post by ALAKTORN » Mon Apr 27, 2015 8:17 pm

Edit: Old C21 strat under spoiler.
Spoiler: show
C21 D6 win using only the Sea units and 2 soldiers to cap. It gets random near the end. I f*****g hate this map so I don’t even wanna work on it further.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W5wLdl7v83g

D1
Mech into Lander, move NW.
Bike N.
Advance all Sea units.

D2
Bike into Lander, 5W.
Gunboat 1N 5W.
Advance all Sea units without blocking your own units’ path.

D3
Gunboat 3N.
S Sub attacks BS.
BS destroys.
Lander 1N 5W.
Sub attacks BS.
Advance all 3 Cruisers W without attacking the Gunboat.

AI D3
Sh!t happens.

D4
Figure it out on your own. A few pointers:
Decently-HP Cruiser needs to bait Rockets.
The Carrier with Seaplane needs to die (either full HP Sub OHKO or Gunboat + BS).
BS needs to move the full length in order to reach Rockets on D5. Usually going W is better than N as N is in range of Port CO BS.
Block the CO BS so that it can’t reach your BS. Dived Sub helps. Leave it something like a Cruiser to hit still, or it’ll attack the Bike. A lvl2 BS can go down to 3HP and still win.
If one of the Gunboats hasn’t attacked, you need to attack it with a Cruiser to make it lose its ammo. It’ll attack your BS otherwise.
Use a full HP Cruiser to attack the non-Port BS. It needs to be at low HP, preferably dead.
You can also try attacking the Port BS so that the AI has no money to CO it.
You can also try moving that one Cruiser 1N of Sub for protection.
The best scenario is what happens in my video, Gunboat goes “Oh no!” and you keep your Sub alive.

D5
Protect the cap with 2 units next to the Enemy Port. Seaplanes shouldn’t reach HQ and Sea units move first, so you just have to put the 1/2 BS out of range.
Good luck.

I’m sure there is a much better strategy which might involve dived Subs, but I f*****g hate this map and nothing works so you won’t get it from me.

Edit: Just got the win a bunch of times without using 1 of the Cruisers. I’m trying to make it consistent but it’s a bitch… The AI builds a Flare if it sees 2 Subs almost always, but one time I had it not do it. If it never did it it’d be piss easy, but now I gotta work with only 1 Sub for the end game to have a consistent no-Flare ending…
Last edited by ALAKTORN on Wed May 06, 2015 2:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

ALAKTORN

Post by ALAKTORN » Thu Apr 30, 2015 3:24 pm

C21 take 2, I got perfect luck in the vid without even trying: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fiUOQ9Tqtrg

Sea − 1 Cruiser, 3 soldiers (3rd is for consistency). Sometimes AI builds Flare to fudge up the capture, so the Inf drop is necessary to block.

D4
If your W Sub has 2HP destroy the Gunboat, otherwise destroy the BS from S.
If Cruiser + BS can’t destroy Carrier, use the spare Sub. Attack from W if AI BS is 1N of Carrier, attack from E if it’s 2N 1W. If it’s 2N 1W there’ll be a 50/50 AI D4, if it doesn’t move correctly it can’t spot your BS and the Seaplane isn’t baited, which fails the strategy most of the time.
If you have a 4HP Sub you can try attacking the Carrier from S with it. BS then must destroy it, and the other Sub joins in so the AI CO BS attacks it from Port. This might be able to make the strategy not fail even if you fail both 50/50.

D5
Make sure your capture is protected.

ALAKTORN

Post by ALAKTORN » Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:27 am

C4 Moving On new strategy :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u224LVAHK3o

Wins in 4 days only using 3 units, avoiding selection of units that bring up extra dialogue boxes. Saves ≈ 7″ over my old strat, I think.

A few things can be different.
If the Mech has 2HP, it’s likely it will suicide and you won’t have to waste time killing it.
The N Recon can move 1W of the Wood (on the Wasteland), in that case move Tank 3N and attack it (instead of moving 2N to reveal for Arty to attack)
The wounded Recon can retreat in the NW Wood instead of joining, in that case the Arty should be able to kill the other Recon and Recon + Tank can reveal + kill the wounded Recon.