So what's the concensus on this game?

Talk about the shiny-new post-apocalyptic Advance Wars game here.
daisy

So what's the concensus on this game?

Postby daisy » Sun Aug 02, 2015 3:40 am

I bought a 3DS with Pokemon Alpha Sapphire a few days ago and, urm, DoR has been in my 3DS far more than AS has. I never really played it that much and I forgot most of it, and some of the changes I feel are worth talking about. Bships being able to move and attack seems a bit OP to me.

Sven

Re: So what's the concensus on this game?

Postby Sven » Sun Aug 02, 2015 8:19 am

The mechanics were almost all improvements.

The biggest three IMO, others might disagree:

-Fog. Go play fog vs the AI on a VS map. Instead of being some awful chore where you nervously move units from forest to forest, you get flares and the ability to drive-by recons. It's actually an enjoyable experience.

-Cities aren't holy crumpets awful defense forts. 2 stars vs 3 stars reallllly helps. There's no more needing a tank shot and two inf to kill something on a city (which was RIDICULOUS). Instead I'm fairly sure a tank and inf shot will do.

-The campaign kind of sucked at showing the CO unit mechanic off. The AI doesn't use it very well (heck, most players don't). But again, go take a whirl with it through vs mode against the AI and marvel at what it can do. Using a small super squadron with Lin feels totally different from moving an arty ball around with Gage. Or try out a Tasha copter! In the old games you had to wait for the powers for the COs to feel different, in this one you see it from the moment you load up a unit.

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO
3DS Code: 2535-4646-7163

Postby Xenesis » Sun Aug 02, 2015 12:07 pm

Mechanically, it is the best AW game. There's a few weird areas (like Sea being broken in a completely different way to Sea being broken in the other games), but everything works.

Presentation was the big thing that was dicey, I think. The campaign spectacularly failed to show off the new CO mechanics at all and the writing/graphics can be a bit gloomy (especially in the EU translation of the game). Music's great though.
IST wrote:Even the worst individual needs to discover the joys of a chicken statue that is also a pregnant blonde housewife.

Dragon Fogel
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Postby Dragon Fogel » Sun Aug 02, 2015 2:10 pm

Seriously, it takes half the campaign before you even get to use CO units, and you never get to pick a CO on any Campaign mission or Trial Map.

The scoring system is also a horrible mess, especially the Power score. Not a major issue, but it bugs obsessive perfectionists like me. You can't 450 every mission, though you can manage that on a lot of them.

It's a good AW game, but it's nowhere near as feature-rich as Dual Strike. It's worth playing, but I'm less likely to go back to it than one of the earlier games.
Dragon Fogel,
Marquis Elmdor's Arch-Nemesis

Don't call me "Dragon".

WWN's War Room High Scores: http://www.celestialbridge.net/fogel/aw ... scores.txt
AW1 version: http://www.celestialbridge.net/fogel/aw ... scores.txt

daisy

Postby daisy » Mon Aug 03, 2015 5:19 am

I think I found the reason why I never finished this game 7 years ago. Pulsatrix Assault. After about 5 tries I cannot seem to break the front line. It's a never-ending stalemate.

hawkesnightmare

Postby hawkesnightmare » Fri Aug 07, 2015 7:16 am

My problem was with Waylon Flies Again. Both with Will being the mandatory CO, who does not fit my playstyle, and the terrain limiting the effectiveness of ground units. I never was able to beat it. Might have had something to do with me just not liking DoR in general. I much prefer the brighter and more fun-friendly atmosphere of the previous games.
Last edited by hawkesnightmare on Fri Aug 14, 2015 7:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
daisy: If the UK is worse than the present #5 in the world in terms of GDP come July 1st 2018 I will dye my hair pink.

kiwi

Postby kiwi » Fri Aug 07, 2015 11:51 am

isn't that like 5 missions from the end OF THE CAMPAIGN???

also yeah! fun-friendly!

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO
3DS Code: 2535-4646-7163

Postby Xenesis » Fri Aug 07, 2015 1:59 pm

Ah, Awkward Zombie.

Why are you so great?
IST wrote:Even the worst individual needs to discover the joys of a chicken statue that is also a pregnant blonde housewife.

revivingadvancewars

Postby revivingadvancewars » Thu Apr 21, 2016 10:31 am

Questionable story/characters.

Improved and more balanced gameplay mechanics.

Dragonite

Postby Dragonite » Sat Apr 23, 2016 8:10 am

Why 'questionable'?

Return to “Days of Ruin/Dark Conflict General”