Single-Player Maps High Scores and Strategy

Talk about the shiny-new post-apocalyptic Advance Wars game here.
User avatar
DTaeKim
Star CO
Star CO
Rank: War Room Legend
Location: In your base, killing your d00ds

Post by DTaeKim » Tue Jan 29, 2008 11:03 am

I updated my Wedding Ring walkthrough earlier on page 4. This ought to work 99.1% of the time, the 0.9% is the chance you OHKO the T-copter.
What can change the nature of a man?

User avatar
DTaeKim
Star CO
Star CO
Rank: War Room Legend
Location: In your base, killing your d00ds

Post by DTaeKim » Tue Jan 29, 2008 11:46 am

Mountain Pass - 6 days - 375 pts

Speed - 100 pts
Power - 150 pts
Technique - 125 pts

This may be the maximum score. I didn't lose any units (though I took some damage) and I had the Infantry across as soon as possible.
What can change the nature of a man?

ALAKTORN

Post by ALAKTORN » Tue Jan 29, 2008 12:49 pm

DTaeKim wrote:Mountain Pass - 6 days - 375 pts

Speed - 100 pts
Power - 150 pts
Technique - 125 pts

This may be the maximum score. I didn't lose any units (though I took some damage) and I had the Infantry across as soon as possible.
i think it's the max too, i got 370 in 6 day, 1 unit died :( can i submit my scores?

T36 360 in 6 days
T29 330 in 16 days

User avatar
ALAKTORN
Location: Italy

Post by ALAKTORN » Tue Jan 29, 2008 1:37 pm

just got 375 me too in T36, those helicopters were tough to beat

GipFace
Rank: Lord of Children Games

Post by GipFace » Tue Jan 29, 2008 2:08 pm

How come I didn't notice the HQ :oops:

Yeah, just got 6/375 too. Baited the bomber with a missile and the rest was easy enough. Someone else can write up the D2D.

User avatar
DTaeKim
Star CO
Star CO
Rank: War Room Legend
Location: In your base, killing your d00ds

Post by DTaeKim » Tue Jan 29, 2008 2:25 pm

So it's confirmed. I can write the D2D.
What can change the nature of a man?

Unkown1800

Post by Unkown1800 » Wed Jan 30, 2008 5:37 am

T26 - Bounty River - 34 days - 351 points.

Speed - 96
Power - 107
Technique - 148 (Lost a sub :( ).

Massing Battleships and Seaplanes with Cruisers wins this map easily. Trying to figure out how to improve Speed now.

User avatar
DTaeKim
Star CO
Star CO
Rank: War Room Legend
Location: In your base, killing your d00ds

Post by DTaeKim » Wed Jan 30, 2008 6:14 am

I'm going to see if it's not possible to improve Whirly Peaks before I write up that guide as well.
What can change the nature of a man?

Biogenesis

Post by Biogenesis » Wed Jan 30, 2008 7:29 am

Can I enter the 10/379 for Pentagram?
Afraid I don't know how much of each points I got. I'll redo it sometime - but can't know, as I'm supposed to be revising for a test tomorrow. Supposed to be. :P
Sig in the making. For now.
Currently playing: Advance Wars: DoR (obviously...), Pokemon Pearl, Civilization IV, and Metroid Prime 3: Corruption
Sig picture type thing is currently being created... but it takes aaaaages. Trying to find some good images, if someone finds a nice image that kinda relates to my username, then they shall have cookies.

Luceid

Post by Luceid » Wed Jan 30, 2008 8:30 am

7/380 on Pentagram
Speed 130
Power 110
Technique 140

Lost a single mech unit.

User avatar
ALAKTORN
Location: Italy

Post by ALAKTORN » Wed Jan 30, 2008 8:40 am

GipFace wrote:T38 - Whirl Peaks
12/445 MAX SCORE
Speed 145
Power 150
Technique 150

Rushed the HQ with a rig, a t-copter, and a bomber, while using a mech to bait an enemy mech to 7HP so that the bomber could finish it off. However, the day-to-day fails because it requires the AI to build three recons in a row, which is something I haven't been able to duplicate after the first time. Maybe I lucked out here.

The bomber gets exactly one kill and the t-copter got destroyed because it had to protect the capping infantry. Regardless, I maxed the score.
a rig? why would you built a rig? i got 14/436, doing: 1 foot soldier all west to capture airport, built bomber and t-cop, with bomber destroy the unit they have on their base, drop the soldier on the base and capturing the days after while sacrifing the other 2 units. Can you say day-to-day even if it's useless? Because i didn't understand your strategy

User avatar
DTaeKim
Star CO
Star CO
Rank: War Room Legend
Location: In your base, killing your d00ds

Post by DTaeKim » Wed Jan 30, 2008 8:51 am

He built a Rig so he can access the airport faster.
What can change the nature of a man?

Luceid

Post by Luceid » Wed Jan 30, 2008 8:56 am

Sorry about the previous post. It's for V for Victory. Got the clone sister maps confused.

User avatar
ALAKTORN
Location: Italy

Post by ALAKTORN » Wed Jan 30, 2008 9:08 am

He built a Rig so he can access the airport faster.
i didn't know that way was faster, thanks, i think i can get 445 now


edit: actually i think 450 is doable, just gotta be lucky
Last edited by ALAKTORN on Wed Jan 30, 2008 9:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
DTaeKim
Star CO
Star CO
Rank: War Room Legend
Location: In your base, killing your d00ds

Post by DTaeKim » Wed Jan 30, 2008 9:11 am

I updated the first post.
What can change the nature of a man?

GipFace
Rank: Lord of Children Games

Post by GipFace » Wed Jan 30, 2008 9:28 am

450 is most likely not doable because there is always a unit in vicinity of the HQ besides the one at the factory. Therefore, the bomber must block.

User avatar
ALAKTORN
Location: Italy

Post by ALAKTORN » Wed Jan 30, 2008 9:32 am

GipFace wrote:450 is most likely not doable because there is always a unit in vicinity of the HQ besides the one at the factory. Therefore, the bomber must block.
uh what do you mean? i just finish it with both bomber and t-cop destroyed, got 150 tech anyway, if you meant the bomber dies to get 450

edit: got 445, no unit lost, they built 2 recon and 1 anti-air, put bomber to block anti-air and helicopter to block the other units while capturing the HQ, killed the foot soldier they put to get my HQ with an anti-air
Last edited by ALAKTORN on Wed Jan 30, 2008 9:44 am, edited 2 times in total.

GipFace
Rank: Lord of Children Games

Post by GipFace » Wed Jan 30, 2008 9:39 am

If you want 150 power, you must destroy units in one shot (or two in some instances with the same unit). A bomber cannot destroy any unit built on a factory in one shot, and will therefore lower the power score.

It is considerably harder to clear this in 12 days than in 14. If you can't do it in 12, please don't assume that 450 is an "easy possibility."

User avatar
ALAKTORN
Location: Italy

Post by ALAKTORN » Wed Jan 30, 2008 9:41 am

GipFace wrote:If you want 150 power, you must destroy units in one shot (or two in some instances with the same unit). A bomber cannot destroy any unit built on a factory in one shot, and will therefore lower the power score.

It is considerably harder to clear this in 12 days than in 14. If you can't do it in 12, please don't assume that 450 is an "easy possibility."
see the edit, got in 12, and anyway i did my kill with an anti-air (see the edit again) and not with bomber

edit: as i said before, it's not "easy possibility", you gotta be very very lucky, i didn't say it's certanly possible, just not that impossible

GipFace
Rank: Lord of Children Games

Post by GipFace » Wed Jan 30, 2008 9:44 am

Hrm... well, that's interesting. It means an easier, more likely walkthrough could be made by substituting the bomber for a duster. I still don't think that 11 days could work, though. But prove me wrong.

EDIT: Nope, 11 definitely isn't possible because the t-copter cannot block the factory. The max it can move is 12S of the airport, which lands it SE of the factory. The moment you unload, the unit from the factory attacks the infantry. It doesn't matter what unit it is.
Last edited by GipFace on Wed Jan 30, 2008 9:50 am, edited 4 times in total.

User avatar
DTaeKim
Star CO
Star CO
Rank: War Room Legend
Location: In your base, killing your d00ds

Post by DTaeKim » Wed Jan 30, 2008 9:46 am

There's only one way to find out.
What can change the nature of a man?

User avatar
ALAKTORN
Location: Italy

Post by ALAKTORN » Wed Jan 30, 2008 10:00 am

GipFace wrote:EDIT: Nope, 11 definitely isn't possible because the t-copter cannot block the factory. The max it can move is 12S of the airport, which lands it SE of the factory. The moment you unload, the unit from the factory attacks the infantry. It doesn't matter what unit it is.
uhm you are right, though sometimes happen that they don't built anything, but that would be so lucky that is impossible lol

GipFace
Rank: Lord of Children Games

Post by GipFace » Wed Jan 30, 2008 1:07 pm

T6 - Clear Island
17/402
Speed 115
Power 145
Technique 142

Blah, I made three extra units. Anyway, shove Gage into an antitank and crawl forward with 3 antitanks, 3 rockets and a battleship. Near the end, send a lander with bikes in order to cover up the factories and capture the HQ. You can also make a recon as a meatshield.

A sub will be necessary to take out Greyfield's attached battleship. Always go for one-hit kills whenever possible; the only time you don't is when you attack Greyfield's battleship, and one of Greyfield's war tanks that have not attacked you yet. The antitanks will soak up the damage and allow you to one-hit kill most of his army with zoned indirects.

Allow Greyfield to take the bottom right cities, since harassing results in a lower power score. After you get your own neutral cities, sit on them and allow Greyfield to attack you.

If you crawl properly you should be able to invoke Gage's COP twice in this map. I think this is a rather good score, so try beating it if you can! :P

User avatar
DTaeKim
Star CO
Star CO
Rank: War Room Legend
Location: In your base, killing your d00ds

Post by DTaeKim » Wed Jan 30, 2008 5:13 pm

T6 - Clear Island - 9 days - 450 pts

Speed: 150 pts
Power: 150 pts
Technique: 150 pts

Gotcha. I think this is the fastest day because you must destroy Greyfield's Infantry and Rocket on specific days. Wait one day later and he builds a B-ship, ruining your capture.

Day 1:

- Build nothing.

Day 2:

- Build B-ship in northern port.

Day 3:

- Move B-ship 1N 4E.
- Build Gunboat in northern port.
- Build Infantry in northeastern base.

Day 4:

- Save here.
- Load Infantry into Gunboat, load Gage into Gunboat, and move Gunboat 1N 6E.
- Build Cruiser in northern port.

Day 5:

- Move B-ship 3E and DESTROY enemy Infantry on bridge. If this does not
happen, you must reload.
- Move Cruiser 1N 5E.
- Move Gage/Gunboat 1N 2E.

Day 6:

- Move B-ship 1N 2E and destroy enemy Rockets.
- Move Cruiser 5E 1N.
- Move Gage/Gunboat 3E.

Greyfield Day 6:

- Greyfield must build a Sub in his southern port.

Day 7:

- Move Gage/Gunboat 2E 2S and drop Infantry south.

Greyfield Day 7:

- Greyfield must only build a Rocket unit in his northern base.

Day 8:

- Move Infantry 1E and begin capturing Greyfield's HQ.

Day 9:

- Finish capturing Greyfield's HQ.
What can change the nature of a man?

User avatar
Dragon Fogel
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO
Rank: Destroyer of Spambots

Post by Dragon Fogel » Wed Jan 30, 2008 5:34 pm

DTaeKim wrote: Day 6:

- Move B-ship 1N 2E and destroy enemy Rockets.
The rockets move onto a city for me at that point, and I only get 84% damage.
Dragon Fogel,
Marquis Elmdor's Arch-Nemesis

Don't call me "Dragon".

WWN's War Room High Scores: http://www.celestialbridge.net/fogel/aw ... scores.txt
AW1 version: http://www.celestialbridge.net/fogel/aw ... scores.txt

User avatar
DTaeKim
Star CO
Star CO
Rank: War Room Legend
Location: In your base, killing your d00ds

Post by DTaeKim » Wed Jan 30, 2008 5:36 pm

Dammit Dragon Fogel. It ALWAYS happens when you test mine out.

He always moves onto a road for me. Restart and try again.
What can change the nature of a man?

User avatar
Dragon Fogel
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO
Rank: Destroyer of Spambots

Post by Dragon Fogel » Wed Jan 30, 2008 5:39 pm

I think I see the problem, he built the rockets a day later on the first try. I forget what he built on Day 4 that time, but evidently you *want* it to be rockets.
Dragon Fogel,
Marquis Elmdor's Arch-Nemesis

Don't call me "Dragon".

WWN's War Room High Scores: http://www.celestialbridge.net/fogel/aw ... scores.txt
AW1 version: http://www.celestialbridge.net/fogel/aw ... scores.txt

User avatar
DTaeKim
Star CO
Star CO
Rank: War Room Legend
Location: In your base, killing your d00ds

Post by DTaeKim » Wed Jan 30, 2008 5:42 pm

Blah. Greyfield's build order never varied for the first three to four days, until you come along. :?
What can change the nature of a man?

User avatar
Dragon Fogel
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO
Rank: Destroyer of Spambots

Post by Dragon Fogel » Wed Jan 30, 2008 5:44 pm

Lucky me. >_<

Anyways, I got it to work after restarting. That was the only issue I came across.

I note the Cruiser doesn't actually *do* anything; I suppose it just scares Greyfield away from building the sub in his northern port?
Dragon Fogel,
Marquis Elmdor's Arch-Nemesis

Don't call me "Dragon".

WWN's War Room High Scores: http://www.celestialbridge.net/fogel/aw ... scores.txt
AW1 version: http://www.celestialbridge.net/fogel/aw ... scores.txt

User avatar
DTaeKim
Star CO
Star CO
Rank: War Room Legend
Location: In your base, killing your d00ds

Post by DTaeKim » Wed Jan 30, 2008 5:47 pm

That, and for some reason, he only builds the Sub if you built that Cruiser. Otherwise, he may opt to save for a B-ship instead.
What can change the nature of a man?

User avatar
Dragon Fogel
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO
Rank: Destroyer of Spambots

Post by Dragon Fogel » Wed Jan 30, 2008 5:53 pm

Odd, you'd think building a Cruiser would be a *deterrent* to building a sub if anything.

The AI is weird.
Dragon Fogel,
Marquis Elmdor's Arch-Nemesis

Don't call me "Dragon".

WWN's War Room High Scores: http://www.celestialbridge.net/fogel/aw ... scores.txt
AW1 version: http://www.celestialbridge.net/fogel/aw ... scores.txt

GipFace
Rank: Lord of Children Games

Post by GipFace » Wed Jan 30, 2008 5:59 pm

Ho hum, it turned into another HQ rush map :cry:

I never did explore the sea rush route. Good job. I think I'll try something where an HQ rush isn't possible... >_>;

User avatar
Kireato

Post by Kireato » Thu Jan 31, 2008 5:34 am

:O

Well, I managed the high score on Star Islands(T11) and Fire and Water (T37). (Wasn't exactly hard...) On V for Victory (T13) I got 410 in 9 days. And that's beaten... (It can be beat in 6 days? Woah.) On T12 Intricate Map, I got 385 in 15 days, but the high score has already been obtained there...

My only contribution for now is a 350 on Metro Island (T4) in 14 days. (130/110/110) And I assume that'll be beaten... Anyhow, a 150 speed score involves a 10 day victory, and if someone can think of some way to HQ capture...
Image
"Hey, it's the Kir. Wee." - Linkman 145
"I can't help myself sometimes... :cry:" -Help Topic Guest

Unkown1800

Post by Unkown1800 » Thu Jan 31, 2008 6:21 am

So I ran through T17 (Coast Assault) again, and I believe I have a strong idea of how Power is calculated:

There are three things that I think is what determines the Power score:

1) The unit type attacking
2) The defending unit's weakness
3) The number of units attacking a unit in the same day

We know that in DoR the description of the unit includes what kind of units said unit is weak against and that there are two types of weaknesses: those that are strong against it (yellow warning), and those that are very strong against it (red warning). As I was playing on the map, I noticed something:

1) My Bomber had to destroy one of the Artillery (red warning) in one hit
2) My Battleship had to destroy one of the other Artillery (yellow warning) in two hits

I believe that attacking units with a unit that doesn't appear on either the red or yellow warning is fine, but when I used a Battleship and a Medium Tank on the same turn to destroy the Wartank, my Power score wasn't 150.

So from all of this, my new theory is that in order to get max score in Power, the following rules apply:

1) If you're using a unit that's very strong (red warning) against the defending unit, you must take it out in one hit (example: A Bomber must take out an Artillery on the day it attacks)
2) If you're using a unit that's strong (yellow warning) against the defending unit, you must take it out in two hits (example: A Bship attacks an Artillery but doesn't destroy it. Next day the Bship must destroy the Artillery).
3) Only one unit can attack an enemy unit in one turn at a time. It doesn't have to be the same one if the enemy unit isn't destroyed. Be careful on the enemy's turn, for if the unit you attacked goes and attacks another unit, that counts as 2 of yours attacking it and will drop the score. (example: A Medium Tank attacks a Tank and doesn't destroy it. No other units should attack the Tank and the Tank shouldn't attack any other unit than the Medium Tank until the next day. On the next day, any unit can attack the Tank.)

Currently my theory supports both the 100% theory and the one-to-one basis theory, and I believe that the number of units destroyed is irrelevant so long as the rules above are followed. Yet, there are still some factors that need to be taken into account, such as whether or not rank status of units attacking applies. So if anyone can help test out, that would be nice.

Oh yeah, following my theory gave me a better score (372 in 6 days).
DoR FC: 060253766453

User avatar
Dragon Fogel
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO
Rank: Destroyer of Spambots

Post by Dragon Fogel » Thu Jan 31, 2008 8:00 am

This theory might be correct on the first point, but it doesn't seem to hold up for the second. If the second point were true, I'd get 150 by letting only the tank attack on C1, but I only get 126 that way.

It seems one-hit kills help raise it, while counterattacks have no effect on it. Details are still fuzzy.
Dragon Fogel,
Marquis Elmdor's Arch-Nemesis

Don't call me "Dragon".

WWN's War Room High Scores: http://www.celestialbridge.net/fogel/aw ... scores.txt
AW1 version: http://www.celestialbridge.net/fogel/aw ... scores.txt

Crono

Post by Crono » Thu Jan 31, 2008 9:22 am

Hello =) nice job everyone in this Trial Maps o_O you have some crazy scores there.
T16: 381 - 9 days
C4: 356, just for fun =P
That's all for now, i'm sure T16 can be improved by a lot, i just remember i got 150 on Tech

Crono

Post by Crono » Thu Jan 31, 2008 9:28 am

T16: 387 - 8 days
I think there must be a way to make it in 7 days

Unkown1800

Post by Unkown1800 » Thu Jan 31, 2008 9:32 am

Dragon Fogel wrote:This theory might be correct on the first point, but it doesn't seem to hold up for the second. If the second point were true, I'd get 150 by letting only the tank attack on C1, but I only get 126 that way.
Yea, I noticed that too, so the second point might not be the case (and possibly the third).

Something else that also might need testing is when a unit attacks a strong unit (i.e. Medium Tank attacking a Wartank) and destroys it. Maybe that will also raise the Power score?
DoR FC: 060253766453

Xagor

Post by Xagor » Thu Jan 31, 2008 10:08 am

Might as well add my scores now I have them all done. Most can be improved since were the first time I did them. Won't include ones where max score has been made. (might be some I missed since I was working from the first post mainly)

T2- Shade Coast 337 17 days
T4- Metro Island 342 15 days
T5- Eerie Lake 345 16 days
T7 Tatter River 380 34 days
T8 D-Island 319 15 days
T9 Hourglass 311 11 days
Can't be bothered to put names from now on
T10 333 15 days
T13 386 8 days
T14 370 34 days
T15 347 56 days
T16 360 9 daya
T17 326 6 days
T19 342 12 days
T21 343 11 days
T22 301 41 days
T23 319 26 days
T25 331 22 days
T26 331 28 days
T27 383 7 Days
T28 360 25 days
T29 252 15 days
T31 359 37 days
T32 375 7 days
T33 402 5 days
T34 282 60 days
Give a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day, but set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

User avatar
DTaeKim
Star CO
Star CO
Rank: War Room Legend
Location: In your base, killing your d00ds

Post by DTaeKim » Thu Jan 31, 2008 10:17 am

Updated the first post.
What can change the nature of a man?

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Jugger [Bot], Multivac [Bot] and 0 guests