Some CO Ideas (Bio updated a bit, NEW CO ADDED)

The forum for CCOs in our new dark wargame.
Guesty

Some CO Ideas (Bio updated a bit, NEW CO ADDED)

Postby Guesty » Wed May 28, 2008 11:01 am

Scott

Bio: Scott was born with the ability to form an aura around himself and other objects, and because of this he joined the military to make use of this ability. Scott is arrogant towards his opponents because of his power and to disconcert them, but he is very polite otherwise.

Zone 2
Target: All
Attack +1 (10/0)

Quote: "Why do I even bother?"

Stats in Zone:
Normal: 120/110
Level 1: 125/110
Level 2: 130/110
Veteran: 140/130

Effect: When Scott's CO unit is selected, instead of immediately displaying a movement range, there are two options: "Move" and "Transfer CO Zone." The second option allows Scott to move his CO Zone to another unmoved unit to make that unit the CO unit. This ends Scotty's CO unit's turn, and a transfer can only be done once per turn.
CO Power: Spontaneous Aura
Instead of Scott's CO Zone extending to all units, all of Scotty's units produce zone 2 CO Zones (they don't become CO units, though), and his CO unit loses the ability to transfer for the turn. Overlapping zones do stack.

Should the transfer CO Zone be able to be used after moving so that it can be simpler, or is that broken? And should transferring a CO Zone take off a CO Power bar? I'm also aware that the CO Power is probably overpowered. I wonder if I should make it so that his zone can't be increased, or have his zone have no bonuses other than the usual (like Penny's).

Victory Quote: "Wow. You managed to be even worse than I thought."

Valdis (Scandanavian name meaning "death")

Army: New Rubinelle

Bio (I'll; polish later or ask someone to polish it): Valdis, better known as Val, was born during a war, in a large city near the war zone. Her older brother, Kenny , volunteered as soldier before she was born, but she looked forward to seeing him someday. Kenny was well-known in the city for his kindness and intelligence, but most of all his willingness to stand up for "the little ones." However, she would only see his face once.

When Val was 12, her parents received a call from the military. A call from the military was never considered good news, especially now, where the death toll was so high.
"We regret to inform you that Kenny is in the military infirmary."

(I'll finish it later but although Kenny survives he lives a life of extreme misery, then dies shortly. This leads Val to believe that if he died sooner he would have been less miserable. Despite this experience she's surprisingly not that emo. She wants to end the war sooner through any means possible (kinda like the atomic bombings of Japan).)

Quote: "Take no prisoners."

In-game Bio: As a commanding officer, Val trains her soldiers to kill rather than to wound, believing that it is more merciful.

Zone 2
Target: Veterans
Attack +3 (30/0)

Stats in Zone:
Normal: 110/110
Level 1: 115/110
Level 2: 120/110
Veteran: 160/130

Effect: When a unit in the zone makes a kill, it automatically becomes a Veteran.

CO Power: Coup de Grace
If a unit makes a kill, it can act again.

Victory Quote:
"It's ironic how I aim to end the war sooner to cause less death, yet I must achieve this means through death."
"Mercy will only increase casualties in the end, because the war will go on longer."
"To everyone whose brothers and sisters died here, I'm sorry for your losses. But this is necessary to prevent more from dying."

(I'll put questions later but any suggestions?)

I added an ability to the CO Power but I have no idea if it's balanced. Also added an unfinished bio.

Morgan

Zone 1
Target: All Units

Effect: Units of the type in zone cost 90% to produce.

CO Power: Units can move as soon as they are built, no more than 2 units of the same type can be built from the same base.

Joseph

Zone 2
Target: Properties

Effect: Allied properties in zone produce double funds at the beginning of the turn.

CO Power: Salvage 50% of the value of all damage done and received as funds.

Arnold

Zone 2
Target: Infantry
Defense +3 (0/30)

Normal: 110/140
Level 1: 115/140
Level 2: 120/140
Veteran: 130/160

CO Power: Infantry get +200 defense

(a concept for a turtling CO)
Last edited by Guesty on Sun Jun 01, 2008 9:08 am, edited 8 times in total.
Sig by Sasquatch.
Hit: Cute Things
Miss: Phones

HPD
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Re: Some CO Ideas

Postby HPD » Thu May 29, 2008 6:59 am

I like the idea of your second CO. That's a nice and original ability. I'd work on that and make it nice. It feels quite logical and cool to play with, so in my opinion such an idea could very well become an S-rank CCO one day. But only if you make the character behind the ability interesting as well, that is.

Guesty

Re: Some CO Ideas

Postby Guesty » Sat May 31, 2008 6:11 am

The idea is sort of inspired by one of Chaos's COs, but thanks for your feedback! I'll focus on that CO, then.

Sig by Sasquatch.

HPD
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Re: Some CO Ideas (Bio updated a bit)

Postby HPD » Sun Jun 01, 2008 12:01 am

Sadly, I can't give you a proper rating at this point, as I don't know jack about the balance for this game...
"So when I say the fudge shaman flies he goddamn well flies and that's that." - Narts
"My motto is that there are far too many women in the world to waste time with men." - thefalman
"It's just that I'm not really aware of how a common conversation goes." - Imano Ob, talking on MSN about talking on MSN
"As for FE8, that was IS' variant of Man Spam - Dudes with Swords edition." - Xenesis

Guesty

Re: Some CO Ideas (Bio updated a bit, NEW CO ADDED)

Postby Guesty » Sun Jun 01, 2008 8:56 am

Hm. A few comments is all I need for now, I'm definitely not ready for a rating yet.

Sig by Sasquatch.

DTaeKim
Star CO
Star CO

Postby DTaeKim » Sun Jun 01, 2008 1:34 pm

Which one do you want comments on?
What can change the nature of a man?

Postby Guest » Sun Jun 01, 2008 1:37 pm

Explain Scott's ability. Swapping CO units ends which unit's turn: the former unit or the new one or both? And on the COP, is it just the +10 attack that stacks or is it the entire zone bonus of +20/10?

Val is too much like Adam for comfort. You remember Adam right? CW? SCOP let's units that make a kill move again and again and again... yeah. Granted you don't get MD but with 160 attack vs. bland targets you'll probably make a killing. On the other hand Adam's SCOP reduced unit attack per successive kill too. Still, your units also retain VET status after the COP ends. This is true-ish of the D2D too, once you manage a kill in the zone, the unit keeps its instant VET status.

Morgan's ability also needs a little clarafication. If an infantry is in the zone, do mechs and bikes cost 90% too? Or just infantry?

Joseph's ability will depend on the map. I can think of numerous maps where there's 2 starting bases and an HQ adjacent to each other, that's 3000 extra funds right there at least. Don't know how useful that'll be but if properties are spread out, this CO will be as good as bland.

Guesty

Postby Guesty » Mon Jun 02, 2008 12:56 am

Scott: Perhaps I should make it so that it doesn't end anyone's turn. And the entire zone bonus stacks
Val: I should have said that you can only move again once. I don't know why I didn't write that. And I probably should remove the vet making after the kill during her COP.
Morgan: Only infantry.

Yeah, Joseph is a bit situational, I should probably scrap him.

I hope that cleared everything up, I'll update the above post sometime.

I would like brief comments on all of them, but you can also just comment on which CO you think has the most potential.

Sig by Sasquatch.

Delta_Angelfire

Postby Delta_Angelfire » Mon Jun 02, 2008 7:42 am

Arnold - Hmm... uber meatshields... Seems somewhat like brenner but those 200 defense infantry would make meatshield advances way too easy during COP. A bit over powered.

Joseph - Attach to an infantry and sit on your HQ for a 2 to 1 funds advantage for the first 4-5 turns in a game? Worse than arnold.

Morgan - Swarm. Ick. Probably somewhere between Arnold and Joseph just for the COP, at least it will be somewhat difficult to charge... Let them move but don't let the base produce again that turn and you could have a pretty good CO.

Valdis - CO Power, if it's only once per unit per turn? broken. If it's unlimited for the turn? Uber-broken. (One light Tank can slaughter every last one of your opponent's infantry without so much as breaking a sweat? Lord help us all)

Scott - Actually seems decent. Then I realise the meatshield attack stacking possibilities (easily +50% attack for frontline units and the Indirects supporting them). Make it a flat 10% attack for every adjacent allied unit (i.e. Zone=1) and do away with the extra Zones during COP stuff. Much easier and much more balanced.
Image Image

Return to “Days of Ruin Custom CO Room”