A CCO's

The forum for CCOs in our new dark wargame.
dude1847

A CCO's

Postby dude1847 » Tue Sep 23, 2008 5:23 pm

This is my first attempt at creating a custom co. It is more so just a bit of fun then a real co, but still quite enjoyable.
The Stig

Top Gear

A tame racing driver. Some say it's impossible for him to wear socks, and that he has a full-sized tattoo of his face, on his face. All we know is he’s called the Stig.

Quote: “...”

CO Zone: 4
Boosts: Ground units
Effect: Mobility up 4

CO Power: none

Victory Quotes: “...”
[img]Stig%202.jpg[/img]
For those of you who know Top Gear this needs no explanation, for those of you who don't, I suggest you go download some torrents and find out.

DTaeKim
Star CO
Star CO

Re: A CCO's

Postby DTaeKim » Tue Sep 23, 2008 10:17 pm

First, your image is broken.

Second, on terms of balance and mechanics, you never mess with movement D2D. It's unbalanced because you are guaranteed 1st strike, and 4 movement is a ridiculous amount of movement to have on all ground units. In terms of mechanics, I don't think it's feasible because once you move outside the zone, you no longer get the bonus. Since the CO zone is dynamic, once your unit leaves the CO zone, it will lose the movement bonus.

I suggest finding a different D2D entirely.
What can change the nature of a man?

dude1847

Postby dude1847 » Wed Sep 24, 2008 5:56 pm

Sorry about the pic, it doesn't want to work, but if you don't know what the Stig looks like just google Stig. Also it is more of a joke as the Stig doesn't talk, he just drives, thats it. So he would be a terrible CO, he'd just sit there.

But to make it work I guess change the CO Zone to 3, effect to attack up 1 (due to his aggressive driving style), and all terrain inside the CO Zone has a movement cost of 1. Then add a COP, called I don't know, maybe Top Gear, which boosts mobility of ground units by 6. Yes it's ridiculous, but so is having a full-sized tattoo of your face, on your face.

DTaeKim
Star CO
Star CO

Postby DTaeKim » Thu Sep 25, 2008 1:11 am

Terrain cost to 1 within the CO zone will still have the same problem as adding 1 to movement.

With all due honesty, I'm not sure what your goal with this CO is. If you want recognition for this CO, you need to balance it, and giving him 6 movement for a COP is not going to do it.

If you just wanted to make a CCO, I could comment on it, but it won't go anywhere unless you make an attempt to balance your creation.

dude1847

Postby dude1847 » Thu Sep 25, 2008 2:33 pm

The point of this CCO is to be ridiculous, but you are right in that it still has to work, and it does need some weaknesses.

That being said I don't understand why having a movement cost of 1 inside the co zone wouldn't work, it doesn't have the problem of carrying over so it is mechanically feasible.
To balance him out though take away the cop, go to a co zone of 2 but instead of just movement cost to one, have all terrain inside the co zone have the same properties as roads for his units, thereby achieving the movement cost of 1 and staying true to his personality, but it also gives him no terrain bonus for defense providing some drawback.
If I could add to the ridiculousness in other ways I would, for example changing the picture of the recon to a picture of the Gumpert apollo, swapping the bike for a KTM X-bow, switching the infantry for the fearsome boy scouts, things like that. unfortunately I haven't any idea how, If you know how it would be appreciated greatly if you could tell me, and I do appreciate the effort put in to help me with this, so thanks.

DTaeKim
Star CO
Star CO

Postby DTaeKim » Thu Sep 25, 2008 2:59 pm

If you're trying to make this hackable, it's impossible to do so with the mechanics you suggested. Second, this isn't quite the forum for hacking, in which case you're looking for Syogun Change. However, I can comment on making this hackable, and you've broken the game quite literally. For example, you can't reduce movement cost to 1 in a CO zone. That's just not possible with the programming. Something else needs to be done if you want to keep the theme.

When it comes to hacking, the possibilities are quite limited. You're limited to the effects the existing COs have, such as refueling, stat bonuses, movement bonuses, or range bonus. Your max CO zone is 5, because a CO zone of 6 fills the entire screen, oddly enough.

There is more, but you have to ask the people who have actually done the grunt work. I'm just the gatekeeper.

Postby Guest » Thu Sep 25, 2008 3:04 pm

if the zone makes terrain roads, you may end up with tanks stuck in mountains or infantry at sea. Sure it's due to player error but what's the practical use? 1 move cost for the zone makes the CO act more like a bridge than a super unit which is what all the other COs do, and the ability is not powerful enough in itself to warrant getting rid of the COP- remember that if you have no COP the zone won't get bigger ever.

If your guy is a bridge and the opposing guy is time traveling space raptor armed with a tactical assault shark gun which shoots sharks that spit out chainsaws that are on fire oh and the raptor and the sharks are also on fire, guess who's gonna win

so hacking is the FINAL DESTINATION for CCOs? whenever they arent unceremoniously abandoned like 98% of the time

DTaeKim
Star CO
Star CO

Postby DTaeKim » Thu Sep 25, 2008 11:47 pm

I asked this particular user what his goal was. If he wants it playable, he will have to find out the details for himself from the users who are more proficient at hacking than I am.

As for me, I just comment on balance. If the ultimate destination is the Hall of Fame here, then I'm your man.

Return to “Days of Ruin Custom CO Room”