A handful of "try-my-hand-at-DoR" COs

The forum for CCOs in our new dark wargame.
Airnike

A handful of "try-my-hand-at-DoR" COs

Post by Airnike » Tue Oct 26, 2010 10:57 am

Guess it's time to try my hand at what DoR is about in terms of CO abilities.

Nick
CO Zone: 3 - Artillery Protection: Defense +*** for indirect units
CO Power: FORCE WALL: Defense +************ for indirect units.

Hayden
CO Zone: 2 - Global Boost: Offense +* and Defense +* for all units
CO Power: POWERUP: Movement, vision and indirect range +1.

Mad Matt
CO Zone: 2 - Mad Fury: Offense +* for direct units
CO Power: MAD SMASH: Movement +1 and offense+** for direct units.

Jaw
CO Zone: 1 - Modern Time: Offense +** for units standing on properties
CO Power: FLASH BLAST: Offense +* for each property under his control

Tyson
CO Zone: 1 - Massive Stunner: Offense+** and defense +** for ground units
CO Power: BUFFALO PUNCH: Paralyzes enemy units attacked

Niku
CO Zone: 1 - Absolute Hatred: Inflicts 1 damage to enemy units at the beginning of each turn
CO Power: SPLENDID DEATH: Inflicts 2 damage to every enemy unit

Lance
CO Zone: 2 - Basics Expertise: Offense +*** for tanks.
CO Power: CANNON HAZARD: Vision +2 and offense +** for tank units

Azrael
CO Zone: 3 - Wicked God: Healing Aura:2
CO Power: DECADENT WORLD: Heals his units by 3 more HPs.

"Ignorance"
CO Zone: 3 - Terrain Break: Ignores movement penalties inside the CO Zone
CO Power: SCIENCELESS: Ignores enemy terrain defense.

"Inertia"
CO Zone: 3 - Enemy Break: Ignores enemy boosts (CO Zone, Com Towers) inside the CO Zone
CO Power: SOULLESS: Ignores enemy CO Powers effects.

"Repulsion"
CO Zone: 2 - Will Break: Enemy doesn't charge CO Power in a battle in which a unit in the CO Zone is concerned.
CO Power: DESIRELESS: Paralyzes all enemy units.
MysteriousLad be like:
Oh hello, I am MysteriousLad.
Do you know when I was an OP player? When I wasn't in WWN and massclaims were legit good? Yea I miss the days I could force town to claim, rout out the mafia, and win the game for free day 3. Sometimes without being killed!
Senpai HPD notices me everyday when I'm town, do no scum play, and still get lynched day 1.
Anyway, it's time to go and ask people to claim and go lynch those who don't with my high-skill OP role.
I am MysteriousLad.

Satel

Re: A handful of "try-my-hand-at-DoR" COs

Post by Satel » Wed Oct 27, 2010 12:55 am

"Ignorance" and "Inertia" have quite useless CO Powers... In comparison, "Repulsion" has a broken one, even if its (?) CO Zone is smaller.
D2D, Tyson is Lin and Hayden is Isabella... Well it seems a little bit bland.
And anyway, Jaw's COP is wayyyy too powerful: 15 props=+150% firepower=broken.
Joey wrote:i think i was mad at certain players and wanted to wave st3rn's success in their face at the most opportune moment, or something

st3rn fudge st3rn

Airnike

Post by Airnike » Wed Oct 27, 2010 2:24 am

I thought it was fair for that weak of a CO Zone... but apparently it is not.

Repulsion is supposed to be the broken one, and with the weakest CO Zone in the roster (maybe above Jaw's but the latter has a little effectiveness), it's normal if he has an enormous CO Power to balance the forces.
MysteriousLad be like:
Do you know when I was an OP player? When I wasn't in WWN and massclaims were legit good? Yea I miss the days I could force town to claim, rout out the mafia, and win the game for free day 3. Sometimes without being killed!
Senpai HPD notices me everyday when I'm town, do no scum play, and still get lynched day 1.
Anyway, it's time to go and ask people to claim and go lynch those who don't with my high-skill OP role.
I am MysteriousLad.

Satel

Post by Satel » Thu Oct 28, 2010 2:12 am

Repulsion's COZone is very effective when it merges it with the opponent's one. Jaw can rely on his proprties and defend harshly everyone of them.
The weakest COZones are Niku's and Nick's ones. Niku's is rather uneffective since it's too small, and Nick's one is really too situational.
Joey wrote:i think i was mad at certain players and wanted to wave st3rn's success in their face at the most opportune moment, or something

st3rn fudge st3rn

deemo

Post by deemo » Thu Oct 28, 2010 11:54 am

Azarel might be up for debate for brokenness, but such a large COZ and healing is a great effect. Lin is already powerful, and Tyson can play like her until he gets a chance to pull a coup de grace, in which he pretty much wins. I'd consider those two broken as well. Good job otherwise.

Also, I wouldn't say Inertia's power is worthless. You can use it against Waylon to make his COP useless!

...other than that, yeah.

Jaw's COP is a bit too powerful. Personally I'd put it at something like 5% or 7%, but hey, that's just me. One thing's for sure though: He'd mech spam like a pro.

Airnike

Post by Airnike » Fri Oct 29, 2010 12:29 am

Guess it's time to balance some of them.

Nick
CO Zone: 3 - Artillery Protection: Defense +*** for indirect units
CO Power: FORCE WALL: Defense +************ for indirect units.

Hayden

Mad Matt
CO Power: MAD SMASH: Movement +1 and offense+** for direct units.

Jaw
CO Power: FLASH BLAST: Offense +* for each pair of properties under his control

Tyson
CO Power: BUFFALO PUNCH: Paralyzes enemy units to which he inflicts at least 3 damage in the turn with attacks

Niku
CO Zone: 1 - Absolute Hatred: Inflicts 1 damage to enemy units at the beginning of each turn

Lance
CO Zone: 2 - Basics Expertise: Offense +*** for tanks.
CO Power: CANNON HAZARD: Vision +2 and offense +** for tank units

Azrael
CO Zone: 2 - Wicked God: Healing Aura:2

"Ignorance"
CO Zone: 3 - Terrain Break: Ignores movement penalties inside the CO Zone
CO Power: SCIENCELESS: Ignores enemy terrain defense.

"Inertia"
CO Zone: 3 - Enemy Break: Ignores enemy boosts (CO Zone, Com Towers) inside the CO Zone
CO Power: SOULLESS: Ignores enemy CO Powers effects.

"Repulsion"
CO Zone: 2 - Will Break: Enemy doesn't charge CO Power in a battle in which a unit in the CO Zone is concerned.
CO Power: DESIRELESS: Paralyzes all enemy units.

Answer with tier lists please.
MysteriousLad be like:
I am MysteriousLad.

Satel

Post by Satel » Fri Oct 29, 2010 5:39 am

As you wish, dude.

Top tier: Lance (destroys everyone else on the ground with extra-powerful wartanks, doesn't fear air with Anti-Airs)

High Tier: Nick (arty wall becomes awesome with him, even if too situational)
Ignorance (Situational COZone but still awesome, good offensive powers which helps you stealing properties, kills Jaw)

Mid Tier: Hayden (pretty fair, some kind of balanced Isabella with useless vision)
Jaw (weak COZone, but good COP)
Azrael (he will miss his former COZone 3, maybe a bit weak COPower now he only has COZone 2)
Inertia (VERY situational COPower, will only help you against Repulsion, and is useless against most "existing" COs regards to his COZone, which is awesome)
Repulsion (Almost useless COZone, which you have to put near your opponent's one, exposing you to enemy attacks, but awesome COPower)

Low Tier: Madmatt (some kind of cooler Will, but I find his COZone a bit weak)
Tyson (such a COPower is a bit weak for only 1 COZone, Lin is not an example...)

Bottom Tier: Niku (really too hard to hurt enemies with his COZone, moreover it won't charge the COPower, which is rather cool. COZone 1 will kill him.)
Last edited by Satel on Sat Aug 27, 2016 2:22 am, edited 2 times in total.

st3rn fudge st3rn

deemo

Post by deemo » Fri Oct 29, 2010 1:34 pm

repulsion mid tier
what
no. 2 zone even with no boosts is still fairly easy to get COP for. COP is game-breaking.

tyson low tier
LOL NO
lin is an example indeed. she's pretty damn awesome. lin with a usable cop? OHGODYES.

i'd argue in retrospect that niku is at least midtier. if he gets up to 3 zone that can really hurt the enemy especially if they are teching (i.e. brenner, lin, tabitha, etc.)

i don't even know why i'm posting this.

EDIT: oh and here are my tiers

broken:
repulsion-sup boss CO

high:
lance-tank spam everything to hell. would probably be broken if mechs weren't so darn good
azrael-constant healing is goooood
tyson-paralyzation is a pretty great effect, especially when you add in the fact you can semi-choose the units that are affected. still going to be a mech-spam CO since mechs can do 3hp to almost any land unit, but hey, with the 3hp thing I wouldn't say he's broken. at least he can't suicide crumpets.
nick-his meatshields suffer greatly, but his COP can be spammed as he spams arty. he can use his COP to advance his arty. under his COP, there are few ways to even OHKO his arty. the opponent has to retreat, or suffer heavy losses. nick probably drops to mid tier on open maps, but if he can ever get a 5-6 arty cluster, the enemy is done.

mid:
jaw-good cop even with the nerf, but a not-so-stellar coz.
hayden-nerfed isabella, extra vision won't usually matter, but this works for me.
mad matt-pretty much will with buffed bcopters. he's also slightly stronger than will during the cop but with less movement, so i'd say he's about equal to will, maybe a little weaker.
niku-like jaw, he will experience troubles getting off his COP. unlike jaw, his COZ could be really useful if he gets it up to 2 or 3. COP isn't that strong, but it can be a match decider if used correctly. if you wanted to power him up a bit, then give him a star for defense for ground units or all units. but do not even think about giving him two zone. nuh uh.

low:
ignorance-the terrain thing isn't all that useful, and his COP doesn't really matter, especially since defense was nerfed in this game. in awds it might have been mid or high tier. here, nope.
inertia-you need to specify if his coz effect works on your units or the opponents. for example, say gage has an artillery that is in his co zone but not yours. it attacks a unit that is in your co zone. are the boosts applied to gage's artillery? and one more clarification. if a unit in your co zone attacks a unit in another person's co zone but the zones do not overlap, does the enemy get the defense bonus or not? either way, he pretty much has a 110/110 advantage over the opponent. but he has a virtually unusable COP, so eh. well, IT COULD be used to hold off a cop for a day. and it could be used against tyson/waylon/tabitha. but still, no dice.

Airnike

Post by Airnike » Sat Oct 30, 2010 1:49 am

First, answers.
deemo wrote:inertia-you need to specify if his coz effect works on your units or the opponents. for example, say gage has an artillery that is in his co zone but not yours. it attacks a unit that is in your co zone. are the boosts applied to gage's artillery?
Gage would get the boost since the arty isn't in Inertia's CO Zone.
deemo wrote:and one more clarification. if a unit in your co zone attacks a unit in another person's co zone but the zones do not overlap, does the enemy get the defense bonus or not?
The enemy isn't in Inertia's CO Zone, the defense boost works.

Then, re-balance.

Nick
CO Zone: 3 - Artillery Protection: Defense +** for indirect units
CO Power: FORCE WALL: Defense +******** for indirect units.

Hayden

Mad Matt
CO Power: MAD SMASH: Movement +1 and offense+*** for direct units.

Jaw
CO Power: FLASH BLAST: Offense +* for each pair of properties under his control

Tyson
CO Power: BUFFALO PUNCH: Paralyzes enemy units to which he inflicts at least 5 damage in the turn with attacks

Niku
CO Zone: 1 - Absolute Hatred: Inflicts 1 damage to enemy units at the beginning of each turn. Defense+* for his units

Lance
CO Zone: 3 - Basics Expertise: Offense +** for tanks.
CO Power: CANNON HAZARD: Vision +2 and offense +*** for tank units

Azrael
CO Zone: 2 - Wicked God: Healing Aura:2

"Ignorance"
CO Zone: 3 - Terrain Break: Ignores movement penalties inside the CO Zone. Offense +* for all its units.
CO Power: SCIENCELESS: Ignores enemy terrain defense. Defense +* to all its units.

"Inertia"
CO Zone: 3 - Enemy Break: Enemy units inside it don't get boosts from com towers or the enemy's CO Zone.
CO Power: SOULLESS: Ignores enemy CO Powers effects. Offense and defense +* for all units

"Repulsion"
CO Power: DESIRELESS: Reduces enemy units movement. (Soldiers: 2, Ground directs: 3, Ground indirects: 2, Copters and seaplanes: 3, Other planes: 4, Sea transports: 3, Other sea units:2)

Waiting for more :) .
MysteriousLad be like:
I am MysteriousLad.

deemo

Post by deemo » Sat Oct 30, 2010 2:36 am

Hm. I'm tempted to say that Nick's zone should be two because of his power, but that might weaken him too much.

Niku is another one that is tough to balance. He's hard to gain zone with, yet giving him two zone would break him. I have a feeling that giving him more of a boost would as well. I guess he's like Tabitha in that he becomes extremely good when he gets his zone up, but isn't broken when he does.

Other than that, good job.

Satel

Post by Satel » Sat Oct 30, 2010 4:04 am

Repulsion WTF?!? Reducing movement is hard, well affecting enemies is hard already...
Other comments:
Nick: more correct, but a Nick Anti-Tank is still a must. Nice.
Madmatt: Gets a better offence during COP? I guess it won't change that many matchups.
Tyson: Mech spam is still effective during COP (130/130), so mechs can still paralyze. Probably not alone for heavy armors.
Niku: I find this defence bonus quite useless. Still hard to use.
Lance: Large COZone helps a lot. I would get it down to 2. COP is really too strong for 3 COZone.
Ignorance: Offense bonus? Well, I guess it's OK now.
Inertia: Buffed power. We all expected as much.
Repulsion: You already know.

st3rn fudge st3rn