3 CCO's

The forum for CCOs in our new dark wargame.
Thelonious

3 CCO's

Postby Thelonious » Wed Jun 01, 2011 2:14 am

Name: Tanya
CO Zone: 1
Effect: (Air and Infantry units) +30 to attack, First strike when countering direct attacks.
COP: Day and Night
Effect: Infantry and Air units that have been used get another turn.

Name: Cypher
CO Zone: 2
Effect: (All units) +10 attack/+10 defense, When units deal damage to an enemy, they deplete an equal % of their max fuel/food, and the target loses 1 additional primary weapon shot.
COP: Tactical Strike
Effect: Launch three targeted missiles (normal missile silo radius) that deal 3 HP damage to all units in their radius, as well as depleting 30% of their max fuel/food and 30% (rounded up) of their primary ammo.

Just workin' on a theoretical nation. Workin' on some ideas for some different tactics. Flavor-wise, Tanya's a fiery personality that dominates in special forces, and Cypher's a reserved tactician who manipulates enemy fronts in a guerrilla battle of attrition.

edit: Idea for a leadership character:

Name: Jens
CO Zone: 0
Effect: (All units) +30 attack/ +30 defense, +1 Movement, +1 range(ranged units), +1 Heal, +1 Vision
COP: Inspired Leadership
Effect: All friendly units are refueled/supplied, and rank up to Veteran. +2 HP, +1 Range, Movement, and Vision.

monkymeet
3DS Code: 3480-3067-3928

Re: 3 CCO's

Postby monkymeet » Wed Jun 01, 2011 6:42 am

Holy crap Tanya
imageshack swallowed up my sig. This is a placeholder.

Thelonious

Postby Thelonious » Wed Jun 01, 2011 7:56 am

:|

I never liked Waylon's character, and always thought Tasha got gypped. I guess Tanya's air would be pretty brutal, though. A little more manageable at +20 I suppose... Defense just seems OP in the game, though, and want to have an extremely fast, aggressive killer with the ability to really dig into front lines on the offensive.

Um, any other comments?

eliascpsells

Postby eliascpsells » Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:04 am

monkey isn't talking about the attack bonus (I think).She's talking about your first-strike counters on a d2d basis. Also, infantry units getting moved again? You can capture something in one turn. How long does it take to charge the bar? Does that even change with different COs?
Professor Frink: "Pi is exactly 3!!!!"

Audience: "*Gasp!!*"
Frink: "I'm sorry it had to come to that."

Go to http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mEIwzueG5UI for the funniest Advance Wars parody.

"Have you ever watched yourself die? It is FASCINATING!"

Thelonious

Postby Thelonious » Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:13 am

I don't think it changes, but typically the smaller your CO zone, the slower it ends up being.

I know the first strike is the tricky part, but lowering the attack makes first strike less dangerous. First strike still isn't that dangerous against a unit with high defense. Infantry and air units are also pretty fragile and susceptible to perfect counters that won't take anything from first strike. A CO zone of 1 is a small box to work a formation into that FS would be too overpowered in with just Air and Infantry... at least that's what my theory was. Obviously... just theory. :?

deemo

Postby deemo » Wed Jun 01, 2011 3:17 pm

even with only 1 zone, CO charge can ramp up very fast (see Lin for an example, who is almost always guaranteed to get 3 zone with smart play)

when you say infantry, do you mean the unit named infantry, or all foot soldiers including mechs and bikes? that is very important since the mech is one of the best units in this game, and the b-copter is very good as well. mechs do good damage to almost any ground unit, and this co zone can make a swarm of them deadly.

also defense is not at all op in this game. the dor metagame is very fast paced and taking a defensive formation can cause you to easily lose due to offensive charging

Airnike

Postby Airnike » Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:17 pm

Thelonious wrote:Name: Tanya
CO Zone: 1
Effect: (Air and Infantry units) +30 to attack, First strike when countering direct attacks.
COP: Day and Night
Effect: Infantry and Air units that have been used get another turn.

What the... D2D first strike counters! Yells "OMGBROKEN", especially with 140% offense. Not to mention the COP that is utterly overpowered, allowing One-Turn-Captures (HQ especially) and Eagle-like-ness while much easier to play than Lightning Strike.

Thelonious wrote:Name: Cypher
Effect: (All units) +10 attack/+10 defense, When units deal damage to an enemy, they deplete an equal % of their max fuel/food, and the target loses 1 additional primary weapon shot.
COP: Tactical Strike
Effect: Launch three targeted missiles (normal missile silo radius) that deal 3 HP damage to all units in their radius, as well as depleting 30% of their max fuel/food and 30% (rounded up) of their primary ammo.

After a broken Eagle-likey, we have a Rachel-likey one... Seriously, his CO Zone is above Isa, which talks for itself since her CO Zone is pretty good already. And the CO Power, it's Covering Fire except worse. More broken than Isa, good shot. Why not try and take on Caulder with that guy?

Just workin' on a theoretical nation. Workin' on some ideas for some different tactics. Flavor-wise, Tanya's a fiery personality that dominates in special forces, and Cypher's a reserved tactician who manipulates enemy fronts in a guerrilla battle of attrition.

edit: Idea for a leadership character:

IDK&IDC wrote:Name: Jens
CO Zone: 0
Effect: (All units) +30 attack/ +30 defense, +1 Movement, +1 range(ranged units), +1 Heal, +1 Vision
COP: Inspired Leadership
Effect: All friendly units are refueled/supplied, and rank up to Veteran. +2 HP, +1 Range, Movement, and Vision.

Hurts, a Tabby-wannabe. Except more broken. The COP is often a noobtrap with that kind of CO, but if you have enough units, it can turn the tide alone. But I think it's a trap because of his insane CO Zone.

Verdict: those three are broken.
MysteriousLad be like:
Oh hello, I am MysteriousLad.
Do you know when I was an OP player? When I wasn't in WWN and massclaims were legit good? Yea I miss the days I could force town to claim, rout out the mafia, and win the game for free day 3. Sometimes without being killed!
Senpai HPD notices me everyday when I'm town, do no scum play, and still get lynched day 1.
Anyway, it's time to go and ask people to claim and go lynch those who don't with my high-skill OP role.
I am MysteriousLad.

Thelonious

Postby Thelonious » Wed Jun 01, 2011 11:21 pm

Hm... some fix attempts then.
What if Tanya's CO Zone were 0? I did some thinking overnight and figured that'd be more flavorful for how I wanted to represent the character anyways. I'd also probably drop attack to 120. Also, the 1-turn HQ capture is highly unlikely unless opponents are already losing. It's just a threatening push to grab a strong advantage. What if I made the COP nerf the units to fighting at 1/2 attack.

Well, what if Cypher only launched 1 missile? Again, this is an adjustment I was considering that seems appropriate flavor-wise.

Jens, well, I'll probably ditch Jens, being that Tanya'd have the CO Zone-0 slot covered for the nation.

Admittedly, I've only just gotten Days of Ruin about a week ago. I've been without a DS for a while, and my new 3DS doesn't seem to like my wi-fi when I go into regular DS mode. Pushing through the campaign, I definitely see how aggression and fast play are quite strong, but statistically, defense seems like the best stat to have buffed when making fast, risky plays... moreso than attack, and with Tanya I'm theory-exploring a way to make an attack-stat character play a bit riskier and punish more mistakes..

Satel

Postby Satel » Wed Jun 01, 2011 11:51 pm

I suggest removing D2D first strike counters rather than making a smaller COZ, cuz that's what makes Tabby unbalanced... but that's the only way you can get the 2-turn-for-infantry COP. BTW, nerfing your units during COP is pointless.
Cypher is a mix between the two broken COs of the cast: Isa (boosts) and Tabby (missiles, anyone?) His COP is better than Tabby... and that fuel cut is broken, on top of the damage... imagine (the worst case for him) that the 3 missiles aim at the same place... -9PV et -90% fuel... better than tabby... and still, we have the worst case for him there.
You suggest ditching Jens? I suggest too... mega-overload of effects, even worse for the COP... Nuff said.
Joey wrote:i think i was mad at certain players and wanted to wave st3rn's success in their face at the most opportune moment, or something

st3rn fudge st3rn

Thelonious

Postby Thelonious » Thu Jun 02, 2011 1:25 am

That's why I figured on 1 missile, not 3. A 30% cut's not as bad, but can still really punish unprepared troops.

Tabby isn't imba because she has a COZ of 0. She's imba because she gives every unit type a massive boost of attack and defense. Having a defensive boost of 50 acts very similarly to first strike when you're hitting back with another 150. Plus, it's defense against indirect attacks, and it's for any unit type, including units that aren't as easy to counter. Her COZ of 0 may have been an attempt at balancing her, but I think it's actually the other way around. I think the COZ 0 was the flavor of the CO, and the insane boost she gets was the attempt at balancing her small COZ. I still think tabs is way stronger than this CO model for a 0-zone specialized CO. Plus, I don't think of a 50% power reduction on a second run is a "nerf" as you say. It's actually just enough of a boost to get a 2nd wave to make some quick tactical plays on an overextended opponent with a high risk, or to make a quick strike and follow up with a retreat. Its strength is in its versatility, not its power. Note, it also takes away the first strike from any units except the CO. It really seems pretty balanced, if not weak, overall.

As for Cypher, how about:

Cypher
Affects: All units
Effect: 10/10. Damage strips primary ammunition and materials 1 for each attack, and also strips equal % fuel to damage done.
COP: EMP
Effect: User-targeted missile with radius 2 hits removing all materials, ammunition, and 50% of Max Fuel on units. Affected units are immobile next turn.

Basically, made the COP more attrition, less blowout.

Satel

Postby Satel » Thu Jun 02, 2011 1:32 am

I won't argue more about Tabby's case.

For your remix of Cypher, removing all ammo is quite a big deal... well, there is a radius 2, so I won't be too harsh with this. But with the paralysis, NOW, there is too much.
Well, I think. Even with no damage.
Joey wrote:i think i was mad at certain players and wanted to wave st3rn's success in their face at the most opportune moment, or something

st3rn fudge st3rn

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO
3DS Code: 2535-4646-7163

Postby Xenesis » Thu Jun 02, 2011 8:12 am

Tabby isn't imba at all - she barely hits middle tier.
IST wrote:Even the worst individual needs to discover the joys of a chicken statue that is also a pregnant blonde housewife.

Satel

Postby Satel » Fri Jun 03, 2011 3:25 am

I didn't say she was broken (oops, I did say it).
She really is unbalanced and noob-friendly, that's what I wanted to point.

st3rn fudge st3rn

Crystal Guard 292

Postby Crystal Guard 292 » Fri Jun 03, 2011 2:35 pm

I'm a pretty big fan of Ainiku's input.
"It's game storage...THAT'LL TOTALLY PUNCH YOUR BALLS OFF! EXTREEEEEME!" -Airrider
"Well, he lives in Aussie land, where up is down and hamburgers eat people." -Familyguyman
"I'll get to it tomorrow." -Heropsychodreamer01

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO
3DS Code: 2535-4646-7163

Postby Xenesis » Fri Jun 03, 2011 3:39 pm

St3rn wrote:I didn't say she was broken (oops, I did say it).
She really is unbalanced and noob-friendly, that's what I wanted to point.

She's not unbalanced though, despite being a newbie-killer.
IST wrote:Even the worst individual needs to discover the joys of a chicken statue that is also a pregnant blonde housewife.

eliascpsells

Postby eliascpsells » Fri Jun 03, 2011 11:36 pm

I thought Tabitha wasn't bad at all. Not top ranking though. Her 180/180 stats hit one unit (considering auto-veteran and default bonuses) till after a long while, than in can hit 5 at max (adding the CO unit). After another long while, you can choose a 2 range CO zone of 160/160, or super giant bombs to drop on your enemies. She's an alright CO, not one that isn't good.
Professor Frink: "Pi is exactly 3!!!!"

Audience: "*Gasp!!*"
Frink: "I'm sorry it had to come to that."

Go to http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mEIwzueG5UI for the funniest Advance Wars parody.

"Have you ever watched yourself die? It is FASCINATING!"

DTaeKim
Star CO
Star CO

Postby DTaeKim » Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:05 pm

Tabitha is simply out-manned, especially since Tabitha doesn't charge her CO zone on counter-attacks.
What can change the nature of a man?

Return to “Days of Ruin Custom CO Room”