General Media Not-Videogames Not-Music Topic!!!

This is the media board. Discuss movies, games, music, books and any other media here.

Moderator: Terragent

Bonesy
3DS Code: 0318 8318 0000

General Media Not-Videogames Not-Music Topic!!!

Post by Bonesy » Mon Jul 14, 2014 12:29 pm

since the other thread is apparently just a joey circlejerk anyone that isn't joey can discuss animoos and mangos and tv shows and moovies and bookz and cawmix

What have I been watching lately? Off the top of my head my weekly shows are: Sailor Moon Crystal (honestly I hope the animation gets more expressive), Space Dandy 2, Hunter X Hunter, Korra S3, Kamen Rider Gaim, and Train Sentai ToQger.

Backlog-wise I have the third Madoka movie, Under the Dome S1, Hannibal S2, Symphogear S1, Aria the Origination, .hack Roots, Kamen Rider Faiz, S5 of Burn Notice, S2 of Cutthroat Kitchen, and Turn A Gundam.

AY YO WHAT U BEEN WATCHIN DAWGZ

Pkdragon

Re: General Media Not-Videogames Not-Music Topic!!!

Post by Pkdragon » Mon Jul 14, 2014 12:41 pm

been watching the greatest show in all of american cinema, always sunny in philidelphia

it is truly an uplifting experience.
HPD wrote:You know the only thing on the agenda of the Squirtle Squad is pure, unadulterated chaos.

That, and watching Euros squirm.

Bonesy

Post by Bonesy » Mon Jul 14, 2014 12:42 pm

i've seen bits and pieces of it on cable, it's pretty funny

Narts

Post by Narts » Mon Jul 14, 2014 12:52 pm

I think the last mubi I saw was this masterpiece of Asian cinema called Samurai Princess (from makers of Tokyo Gore Police). It's about androids (or something) in feudal post-apocalyptic Japan (or something) and an android princess (or something) exacting revenge on the doctor who created her because she embodies the souls of 14 women who were raped (or something). Basically, the plot is kind of fuzzy and basically doesn't make any sense and you shouldn't worry about it too much. What's important is that there's blood and guts 'errywhere and a scene where a guy gets punched so hard HIS SKELETON FLIES OUT.

Besides that, Game of Thrones, but I guess everyone watches that so there's no point discussing it.

Bonesy

Post by Bonesy » Mon Jul 14, 2014 12:56 pm

i haven't seen a single ep of game of thrones :V

Joey

Post by Joey » Mon Jul 14, 2014 12:57 pm

there is basically no way that i will ever get tired of discussing game of thrones
"Unakau has nicked off. And there was much rejoicing."

Narts

Post by Narts » Mon Jul 14, 2014 1:21 pm

By the way this totally should have been called the Media Consumption Topic, Non-Joey Division.

Though I suppose someone might wonder then why are we hating on Joy Division.

To which the answer would be that Joy Division is lame.

Joey

Post by Joey » Mon Jul 14, 2014 1:23 pm

New Order is better.
"Unakau has nicked off. And there was much rejoicing."

Narts

Post by Narts » Mon Jul 14, 2014 1:25 pm

I agree.

Pkdragon

Post by Pkdragon » Tue Jul 15, 2014 1:22 pm

Tonight's Pathfinder society game was actually really cool. The three I've played up until now have been very, very combat oriented but this one had a ton of roleplaying. The other players were chill and experienced, and the GM was new but also VERY laid back, he did a great job. Pathfinder is much more fun when everyone's playing to have fun and roleplay rather than win battles. It reminded me of my games back in college.

Yeah, I needed something to do outside of my house, something social, yet still sufficiently nerdy to keep myself interested. Pathfinder Society is a nice excuse to interact with people.
HPD wrote:You know the only thing on the agenda of the Squirtle Squad is pure, unadulterated chaos.

kiwi

Post by kiwi » Wed Jul 16, 2014 4:36 pm

2 words: PING PONG

ok if you need extra words, here's 42 more: it's a character driven sports anime which means all the power levels and secret forbidden techniques take a back seat to goals and motivations, it's known for its rough and expressive style, it's 11 episodes, and you can watch it RIGHT NOW

[youtube]TxULfvPk-n0[/youtube]

BONUS 10 WORDS: the intro and title cards get some cool timing too

Narts

Post by Narts » Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:05 pm

No power levels or secret techniques? Not going to watch.

The uploader also has not made it available in my country.

McTool

Post by McTool » Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:43 pm

Kiwi does it have cute boys that could potentially show up in illicit situations on Tumblr

This is crucial for me
Make good choices

Pkdragon

Post by Pkdragon » Thu Jul 17, 2014 12:34 am

Ping Pong was amazing just for how mad it made certain fans of moe anime on certain boards.

not a show about cute girls doing cute things WHAT IS THIS.

Bonesy

Post by Bonesy » Sun Jul 27, 2014 12:28 am

[youtube]P58WJ-4PxcU[/youtube]

Pkdragon

Post by Pkdragon » Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:28 am

So Pathfinder / D&D / FATE /etc

anyone play these sort of games?

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO
3DS Code: 2535-4646-7163

Post by Xenesis » Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:41 am

I play a lot of Changeling in NWOD.
IST wrote:Even the worst individual needs to discover the joys of a chicken statue that is also a pregnant blonde housewife.

Terragent

Post by Terragent » Tue Aug 19, 2014 12:55 pm

Played a bit of the above - also used to play quite a lot of D&D 3.5.

Pkdragon

Post by Pkdragon » Tue Aug 19, 2014 1:44 pm

I wish that WoD game had gotten off the ground, Xen. It was actually looking pretty interesting.

I've never played it IRL tho. Mostly default to Pathfinder these days just because it's the easiest to find games for thanks to Pathfinder Society. Would like to try out FATE tho, bitter old jaded D&D players tell me it's great.

Twelve Boats

Post by Twelve Boats » Tue Aug 19, 2014 3:21 pm

as a babysitter i watch a lot of children's television

adventure time is great
the others kind of bleed in to one another
the dream

Bonesy

Post by Bonesy » Sun Jul 05, 2015 8:35 pm

gravity falls is fun but sod off if you want me to frameskip and learn cryptography

Pkdragon

Post by Pkdragon » Mon Jul 06, 2015 2:04 am

Learning Anima now. It's a kinda hellish system to learn, but has a lot of really cool things you can do.

I think I like it more than Pathfinder.

It seems to me that there's a lot of games that go with overly simplistic mechanics and sorta lose the "game" part, and that's fine for roleplaying, but there's something fun about actually playing a game too. And Anima is definitely a game, for better or worse.

Sven

Post by Sven » Mon Jul 06, 2015 3:23 am

playing fifth edition. heavy RP, very little mechanics stuff. most of us don't even have our full character sheets onhand other than our HP/damage stuff. no one really knows what the spellcasters do mechanically, everyone takes everyone else's word for what stuff does. it's better than i remember.

up until now i've absolutely hated DnD. i first played it with the same group in highschool, it was hard to get used to everything and we couldn't stop making fun of how nerdy it was. "OKAY, NOW LET'S MOVE OUR SPEED!!!" was an injoke for a long time.

a few years later i played it with a pretty serious business crowd of people i can only describe as powergamers. i joined, they basically told me what slot in the party they wanted filled and the 'optimal' way for me to play it. it felt tedious, there was no real room for my character to grow in a way that i hadn't painstakingly gotten DM approval for. even then other members of the group strongly discouraged me from trying to go down paths that would willingly weaken my character's combat potential. it was pretty messed. i think i literally only ended up using one spell as a sorcerer.

now that it's been ten years, my original group of friends has grown the fudge up, and DnD has become more mainstream and removed all the tedious fudge crumpets I remember. we have a DM enjoying themselves without powertripping. most time is spent out of combat developing our characters and fudge around.

i don't love DnD, and i probably never will. but at least it's tolerable now.

Pkdragon

Post by Pkdragon » Mon Jul 06, 2015 5:41 am

a few years later i played it with a pretty serious business crowd of people i can only describe as powergamers. i joined, they basically told me what slot in the party they wanted filled and the 'optimal' way for me to play it. it felt tedious, there was no real room for my character to grow in a way that i hadn't painstakingly gotten DM approval for. even then other members of the group strongly discouraged me from trying to go down paths that would willingly weaken my character's combat potential. it was pretty messed. i think i literally only ended up using one spell as a sorcerer.
Yeah. That's pretty awful. I think I've been lucky because most of the groups I play with are pretty laid back when it comes to powergaming and min maxing.

The worst thing you can do is force someone into a role. Now, granted, they may have thought they were helping you, Idk, but I myself consider that a big nope. I consider a central part of these games to be communication and compromise. Sadly, I've encountered some people recently who are just like the guys you describe, total powergamers.

D&D in general, the big problem with it is it's too limiting. Everything is very defined about your character after you choose a class, and while sure there's room to play around within the classes (especially in Pathfinder). It's also got this thing where it's all about combat (it can be played to be combat light, but so many of the rules of the game are based around combat...), which leads to the game being all about min/maxing. Actually even then it wouldn't be so bad, except that there's a lot of players who want the game to be HARD and DEADLY (the "dark souls" crowd) and it's true, if the game is too easy it's not fun, but that also leads to minmaxing to counter the difficulty, which makes the entire thing kind of pointless.

FATE might be more up your alley. It's incredibly rules light. There's a few rules to give it some structure, but the whole thing feels a bit more like group storytelling than actual gaming, with dice to keep people from getting too cocky. It's also free and a relatively short read. Unfortunately, it's also not that popular because it Isn't D&D, and I personally am not sure how I feel about it, it's a bit too simplistic for my tastes. It's the other extreme from D&D, you could pretty much do anything within a setting the GM defines and get away with it, as far as character building goes. Feels like cheating. But for players who don't want to learn an entire book in order to play a simple game, it's a godsend.

Sven

Post by Sven » Mon Jul 06, 2015 10:34 am

Our DM isn't really very knowledgeable rules-wise, but he has a lot of improv experience, both as an actor and for running improv events. I don't think the experience would be even close to as good as it is without him.

So it's more on the storytelling side of things. We've had characters completely die off, party members have hit 0 HP, random NPCs have joined our party and been given attacks and weapons when requested, etc.

Gentleman of Dread

Post by Gentleman of Dread » Tue Jul 07, 2015 1:39 am

I've started watching Lost.
I'm hooked, but only on season 1.

McTool

Post by McTool » Tue Jul 07, 2015 4:35 am

Can't wait to watch you go "why" throughout this thread.
Make good choices

Gentleman of Dread

Post by Gentleman of Dread » Tue Jul 07, 2015 7:49 am

these numbers
why is there a ship on the island
WHY IS THERE DYNAMITE ON THE ISLAND
WHY DID THEY KIDNAP THE LITTLE BOY
WHY WAS JACK SEEING HIS DAD
HATCH
GOD DAMN IT SAWYER STOP BEING A crumpets

season 1 thoughts there

Gentleman of Dread

Post by Gentleman of Dread » Wed Jul 08, 2015 4:41 am

WHAT'S UP WITH WALT AND THE COMPUTER AND THE BUTTON

Pkdragon

Post by Pkdragon » Sat Jul 25, 2015 2:06 am

continuing my random posts about D&D and it's ilk...

I have discovered something amazing.

d20 FF conversion. Basically, Pathfinder (d&d) with an strong injection of FF. Compared to normal D&D, the things you can do:

- play as a Dragoon, jump real high, and come down on the enemy with your lance doing crazy damage based on how high you jumped.
- MP SYSTEM. The MP system is simple and elegant, and has made magic interesting for the first time in a long time.
-Materia. Unlike the MP System, Materia is a bit limited for fear that it would be completely broken (probably true given D&D rules), but there's options for using it well. Because of this, you can play a FF character who is defined not so much by the classes he takes, but by the stuff he puts into his equipment.
- Limit Breaks. When you're under 50% hp, you can pull them off, each class has a couple. Dramatically changes the way combat works when players WANT to get hurt a bit, instead of doing everything they can to avoid injury.
- Remember those badass knights from FFT that could shoot beams from their swords? FFd20 has those.
- No Wizard, Sorcerer, Cleric. Nope, FFd20 uses Black Mage, White Mage, Red Mage, Time Mage, BLUE MAGE, even the freaking Arithmetician shows up as a prestige class.
- If you're like me and always dreamed of pretending you were a beautiful sexy
Hidden Text
seeq
dancer, this is for the system for you. Also can play as a moogle, the mmo races, a couple ff9 races, the Al Behd, and of course all the other ivalice races as well. And some weird ones.
- Chocobo Knight is a class. 'nuff said.

It's a really cool system, that still feels like Pathfinder but also feels like FF. The main thing that's crazy about it is the sheer scope of the homebrew. He changes just about everything, from races to classes to feats to the freaking magic system used. It's not balanced, but that's to be expected of a homebrew project of the this scope, and it's not like vanilla pathfinder was particularly well balanced either.

That's not to say there isn't a few disappointments. Call me crazy, but I wanted the Samurai to break his swords when he uses attacks. Ninja is pretty much pathfinder ninja instead of FFT ninja, dancer DOESN'T attack everything on the map regardless of range, and while Summoner is amazing (two words: summon bahamut), it's still somewhat of a missed opportunity from what it could have been. More significantly, FFd20 is still Pathfinder at heart, so there's no class swapping on a whim like in the job-based FF games, you pick a class and commit to it. Ultimately though, it's an awesome piece of homebrew and is actually making me a bit excited about playing D&D again.

# pksTabletopAdventures

DieselPheonix

Post by DieselPheonix » Sat Jul 25, 2015 6:30 am

This might be out of place, but have you come across anything concerning rights to tabletop rules?

Pkdragon

Post by Pkdragon » Sun Jul 26, 2015 1:44 am

It's not something I've really looked into.

All I know concerning that subject is that D&D 3.5 and by extension Pathfinder fall under something called the "Open Gaming License", which basically allows people to homebrew it all they want- and even charge for the homebrews (which is why something like Pathfinder is allowed to exist). I don't know the details though.

Beyond that, I really don't know any specifics.