Song contest 3: A Song of Ice and/or Fire

This is the media board. Discuss movies, games, music, books and any other media here.

Moderator: Terragent

Linkman
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Re: Song contest 3: A Song of Ice and/or Fire

Post by Linkman » Tue Aug 02, 2016 10:56 am

Tiro de Gracia was actually a very popular band here in Chile back in the 90s. They only released that one album until a reunion many years later.

The dudes in the video are actually highschool age. It's quite commendable.

EDIT: I was wrong, they did more stuff! Not that anyone cared apparently? :P
"everytime I try to draw xen I end up drawing a kangaroo smoking a cigar while chainsawing a tree" - Deoxy
"I can't believe I'm the only person who voted Stallone. His appeal lies in watching is movies again and again just to hear what the hell he's talking about." - Kilteh

Pkdragon

Post by Pkdragon » Tue Aug 02, 2016 11:01 am

I believe it. Not just the fact that they look young, but they also look like they are having a good time! Imagine that.
HPD wrote:You know the only thing on the agenda of the Squirtle Squad is pure, unadulterated chaos.

That, and watching Euros squirm.

Linkman
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Linkman » Tue Aug 02, 2016 11:38 am

Ratings because I have time now!

L7 - Fuel My Fire - Fun! Punky. Liked it a fair bit.

Tiro de Gracia - El Juego Verdadero - My pick. I know you guys can't understand the lyrics (they're not half bad!) I like it, it reminds me of school. The clip is so cheaply made too, it adds to the feel.

Roxette - The Look - Good, simple fun.

Modest Mouse - Tundra/Desert - Don't get the hate. Not too bad. Cacophonous, yes, but done well enough, right? Like, it has more value than OK Go.

OK Go - You're So Damn Hot - Fun, likable pop. Inoffensive. Don't get the hate either.

F-Zero GX [OST] - Feel Our Pain (Fire Field) - Ahh the rush of memories. Low rated because I think it's an unoriginal pick.

Nothing But Thieves - Excuse Me - Not too awful, but I disliked it. Still decent pop.

Bruce Soord with Jonas Renkse - Frozen North - Not my thing. Still could finish it.

잠비나이 - connection - Interesting but it dragged on a bit too much for me. Kinda boring. But relaxing!

York feat. Angelina-Ice Flowers - Too poppy and windy for me. Felt like something out of a bad chick flick.
"everytime I try to draw xen I end up drawing a kangaroo smoking a cigar while chainsawing a tree" - Deoxy
"I can't believe I'm the only person who voted Stallone. His appeal lies in watching is movies again and again just to hear what the hell he's talking about." - Kilteh

Joey

Post by Joey » Tue Aug 02, 2016 1:48 pm

Ugh I should have entered
"Unakau has nicked off. And there was much rejoicing."

Pkdragon

Post by Pkdragon » Tue Aug 02, 2016 2:05 pm

linky wrote:OK Go - You're So Damn Hot - Fun, likable pop. Inoffensive. Don't get the hate either.
I wasn't a fan of the chorus, which is huge in pop. Still, it was less hate, and more that it was the only song that had a negative, albeit a subjective negative. The three above it (Ice Flowers , Fire Field, and The Look) were all firmly in neutral territory.
linky wrote: I know you guys can't understand the lyrics (they're not half bad!)
I'm basically to the point where years of listening to european metal, jpop, and modest mouse (harharhar) have trained me to the point where i really don't need to understand the words to enjoy a song. That's not to say lyrics don't matter. Clever lyrics can greatly enhance a song- but not being able to understand the song doesn't hurt it if it still has a good beat and atmosphere (which this one did).
HPD wrote:You know the only thing on the agenda of the Squirtle Squad is pure, unadulterated chaos.

Narts

Post by Narts » Tue Aug 02, 2016 3:32 pm

badly made music isn't "raw"

it's just bad

btw this is what modest mouse actually sounds like: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CTAud5O7Qqk

pk is just trolling you

Joey

Post by Joey » Tue Aug 02, 2016 4:05 pm

btw modest mouse while not amazing is very good and it's very amusing to see bog so self-righteous about his conceptions of music

Bonesy
3DS Code: 0318 8318 0000

Post by Bonesy » Tue Aug 02, 2016 4:50 pm

all music is crumpets let's listen to dogs barking

daisy

Post by daisy » Tue Aug 02, 2016 9:23 pm

Pkdragon wrote:but I still don't get why the reaction is so strong
The problem with the song was that it literally hurt my ears, but partly for Draggy's amusement, I may have overstated my hate for it in a hyperbolic sort of way. Apologies.

(I'd still put it last)
Narts wrote: btw this is what modest mouse actually sounds like: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CTAud5O7Qqk
Yeah I actually quite like this. I've heard it before out and about.
Joey wrote:btw modest mouse while not amazing is very good and it's very amusing to see bog so self-righteous about his conceptions of music
...from you? For real? Like you're not trying to be ironic or something? I can't take someone who thinks Kanye West and Justin Bieber are worthy of genuine respect seriously when it comes to musical taste. I recall that your previous attempts to get us into popcorn music failed spectacularly. There's a reason no one here gives a crumpets about the modern mainstream music industry.

Dragonite

Post by Dragonite » Wed Aug 03, 2016 6:24 am

Tundra/ desert is stuck in my head. Damn you PK, you are making me suffer.

Joey

Post by Joey » Wed Aug 03, 2016 12:20 pm

...from you? For real? Like you're not trying to be ironic or something? I can't take someone who thinks Kanye West and Justin Bieber are worthy of genuine respect seriously when it comes to musical taste. I recall that your previous attempts to get us into popcorn music failed spectacularly. There's a reason no one here gives a crumpets about the modern mainstream music industry.
Continues to be amusing.

daisy

Post by daisy » Wed Aug 03, 2016 12:27 pm

How witty of you.

Your pretentiousness is draining.

Bonesy
3DS Code: 0318 8318 0000

Post by Bonesy » Thu Aug 04, 2016 7:02 am

shut up and fug already

Pkdragon

Post by Pkdragon » Thu Aug 04, 2016 10:14 am

Dragonite wrote:Tundra/ desert is stuck in my head. Damn you PK, you are making me suffer.
everything is going according to keikaku

HPD
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by HPD » Fri Aug 05, 2016 4:27 am

Ok, results are in

1. 잠비나이 - connection (47)
1. Nothing But Thieves - Excuse Me (47)
3. F-Zero GX [OST] - Feel Our Pain (Fire Field) (45)
4. Bruce Soord with Jonas Renkse - Frozen North (44)
5. L7 - Fuel My Fire (41)
6. York feat. Angelina-Ice Flowers (40)
6. Roxette - The Look (40)
8. Tiro de Gracia - El Juego Verdadero (34)
9. Modest Mouse - Tundra/Desert (26)
10. OK Go - You're So Damn Hot (21)

So yeah, again a shared first place!
"So when I say the fudge shaman flies he goddamn well flies and that's that." - Narts
"My motto is that there are far too many women in the world to waste time with men." - thefalman
"It's just that I'm not really aware of how a common conversation goes." - Imano Ob, talking on MSN about talking on MSN
"As for FE8, that was IS' variant of Man Spam - Dudes with Swords edition." - Xenesis