WWN Song Contest 6

This is the media board. Discuss movies, games, music, books and any other media here.

Moderator: Terragent

Linkman
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

WWN Song Contest 6

Post by Linkman » Fri Jul 13, 2018 4:57 am

You know the drill, pm me a youtube link and I will make a playlist

NO THEME! Just free for now
"everytime I try to draw xen I end up drawing a kangaroo smoking a cigar while chainsawing a tree" - Deoxy
"I can't believe I'm the only person who voted Stallone. His appeal lies in watching is movies again and again just to hear what the hell he's talking about." - Kilteh

Bonesy
3DS Code: 0318 8318 0000

Re: WWN Song Contest 6

Post by Bonesy » Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:02 am

oh my

scraggypunk

Post by scraggypunk » Sat Jul 14, 2018 3:03 pm

these are fun
wisdom
"the law, in its majestic equality, forbids the rich as well as the poor to sleep under bridges, to beg in the streets, and to steal bread" - anatole france

Pkdragon

Post by Pkdragon » Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:06 am

if i forget to send you one poke me on discord
HPD wrote:You know the only thing on the agenda of the Squirtle Squad is pure, unadulterated chaos.

That, and watching Euros squirm.

Linkman
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Linkman » Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:32 am

Still missing a couple of submissions--c'mon guys!
"everytime I try to draw xen I end up drawing a kangaroo smoking a cigar while chainsawing a tree" - Deoxy
"I can't believe I'm the only person who voted Stallone. His appeal lies in watching is movies again and again just to hear what the hell he's talking about." - Kilteh

Linkman
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Linkman » Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:57 pm

OK-- you have until tomorrow dudes!

Linkman
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Linkman » Sat Jul 21, 2018 7:40 am

And here is the playlist!

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... MbGS5OyaRY

The songs are:

Orange Blossom - Good Bye Kô
DAOKO × 米津玄師『打上花火』MUSIC VIDEO
King Gizzard & The Lizard Wizard - Robot Stop
Into Things: Stranger Things Theme (C418 Remix) Vs. Into You (Ariana Grande) Mashup - Bostwick Things
Death in June - She Said Destroy
Neil Cicierega - Wow Wow
Kenny Burrell - Chitlins Con Carne

I don't which is the song name and which is the artist for half of these!

scraggypunk

Post by scraggypunk » Sat Jul 21, 2018 1:21 pm

Orange Blossom - Good Bye Kô: extremely choice. i love this breathy stuff. adding it to my playlist. 5/5

DAOKO × 米津玄師『打上花火: pretty cute! i don't know what they're saying but it seems like an uplifting song, which i'm always into. 4/5

King Gizzard & The Lizard Wizard - Robot Stop: kinda neat, not really my thing tbh. cool vid. 3/5

Into Things: this is the one i offered. i love it to death. 5/5

Death in June - She Said Destroy: not my thing at all, sorry. 2/5

Neil Cicierega - Wow Wow: what the hell is this nonsense?? reminds me of those stupid early internet vids with the random images and mashups. 1/5

Kenny Burrell - Chitlins Con Carne: what lovely music. i love easy listening. 5/5
wisdom
"the law, in its majestic equality, forbids the rich as well as the poor to sleep under bridges, to beg in the streets, and to steal bread" - anatole france

Bonesy

Post by Bonesy » Sun Jul 22, 2018 4:33 pm

i will try to get around to this at some point because thank god nobody posted death grips

Terragent

Post by Terragent » Mon Jul 23, 2018 5:03 pm

Orange Blossom - Good Bye Kô: My own submission - I knew I wanted to put in an Orange Blossom song but it took way too long for me to decide which. I settled on this one because of piano & strings and the neat vocal harmonies around the two-minute mark. 5/5

DAOKO × 米津玄師『打上花火』: I quite liked this one - the chorus was very nice and it struck an overall neat, mellow tone. I don't think I was really able to properly follow the video elements but that didn't get in the way! 4/5

King Gizzard & The Lizard Wizard - Robot Stop: It's got some cool blues-rock vibes (I really love the harmonica!) but I feel it outstays its welcome a little given how little the song changes from beginning to end. 3.5/5

Into Things: I'll confess, this one partly earns my ire because it uses that instantaneous-volume-drop fake pressure wave effect and I really can't stand that. Otherwise, the mashup concept is really cool, but I really can't get past my issues with the production. 2/5

Death in June - She Said Destroy: It's quite a jolly tune, considering the lyrics. I don't think I've properly got my head around it but still, pretty cool! 3.5/5

Neil Cicierega - Wow Wow: I'm with scraggy here, I'm struggling to even understand the appeal of this song. 1/5

Kenny Burrell - Chitlins Con Carne: Very smooth, but I'll be honest and say it's perhaps *too* smooth; it kind of just hums along and doesn't leave an impression. A really neat performance but I'm a sucker for melodies and there really wasn't one to be found here. I'll give it extra props for giving me an "ohhhhh, stevie ray vaughan sure did release a lot of covers" moment. 4/5

Linkman
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Linkman » Tue Jul 24, 2018 5:19 am

Orange Blossom - Good Bye Kô: It was listenable, but I didn't quite like it. The singer has a beautiful voice but I couldn't dig the melody and the effects. There's definitely something of value there, though, even if isn't quite my taste. 2.5/5.

DAOKO × 米津玄師『打上花火』: Feels like an opening/closing to an Anime... which it probably is? Still quite nice and poppy. 3/5

King Gizzard & The Lizard Wizard - Trippy and upbeat. Had me tapping my foot. I agree with Terr that it is a bit long. 3.5/5

Into Things: Interesting! Though it just reminded me a lot of Stranger Things. 3/5

Death in June - She Said Destroy: Ok I truly liked this. Can't describe why, it feels like listening to Jefferson Airplane if they did something in the 80s. 4/5

Neil Cicierega - Like, it's not Mozart but it's listenable? There's appeal in cheesiness people. I for one enjoyed this unoriginal mashup. 3/5

Kenny Burrell - Chitlins Con Carne: My submission... the album is Midnight Blue. The combination of Burrell's clean guitar with the congas give the album a very particular mood. Try Mule if you enjoyed it. 5/5

Bonesy

Post by Bonesy » Thu Jul 26, 2018 1:32 pm

wow i really should've submitted something else

Hexagon

Post by Hexagon » Sun Aug 05, 2018 7:17 am

Orange Blossom - Good Bye Kô
Melancholy and atmospheric, which happens to describe, like, half of the stuff I listen to on a regular basis. 5/5

DAOKO × 米津玄師『打上花火』MUSIC VIDEO
Cute. Agree with Linky's statement about it sounding like something from an anime. Not super into the guy's voice. 3/5

King Gizzard & The Lizard Wizard - Robot Stop
I had a lot of fun listening to this. Reminds me of when I used to go to metal gigs and I would discreetly headbang/nod to whatever was playing in the background of the venue. 4/5

Into Things: Stranger Things Theme (C418 Remix) Vs. Into You (Ariana Grande) Mashup - Bostwick Things
It's neat, although I feel more inclined to watch Stranger Things than I do to listen to more Ariana Grande after this. I was also caught a little off guard when it ended, like there wasn't enough development or buildup in the middle of the song. 3/5

Death in June - She Said Destroy
This makes me feel similar to when I go to an art museum and I'm looking at the abstract expressionist and postmodern stuff. I'm getting a kind of post-punky vibe from it. It's a bit bizarre and a bit morose and a bit absurd all at once. Top candidate for "put it on in the car and sing along and see what weird looks your friends/colleagues give you". 4/5

Neil Cicierega - Wow Wow
I like about two songs from Mouth Moods, and this isn't one of them. It's not the most clever thing, but sometimes that's what I'm in the mood for. 2.5/5

Kenny Burrell - Chitlins Con Carne
I'd gladly have a cup of coffee with this in the background, but I can't imagine listening to this on a regular basis. It's almost too easy to listen to. 2.5/5
Omnes adsint, quamvis dementi, quamvis nefasti
formerly DC

Narts

Post by Narts » Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:40 am

Orange Blossom - Good Bye Kô: I like 5/5

DAOKO × ??????????MUSIC VIDEO: This is just generic anime music doesn't really do anything for me 2/5

King Gizzard & The Lizard Wizard - Robot Stop: Dig this, sick rhythm, reminds me a bit of Devo 5/5

Into Things: Stranger Things Theme (C418 Remix) Vs. Into You (Ariana Grande) Mashup - Bostwick Things: This faux 80s retro synth wave fad is kind of starting to get old and this song doesn't go to any too interesting places with it but it's still sort of my thing and this is easy to listen to 4/5

Death in June - She Said Destroy: Not as good as "All Pigs Must Die" but still classic. It makes me calm. 5/5

Neil Cicierega - Wow Wow: Someone needs to bleed for this 1/5

Kenny Burrell - Chitlins Con Carne: Is ok I guess 3/5