Seen Any Good Movies Lately?

This is the media board. Discuss movies, games, music, books and any other media here.

Moderator: Terragent

Linkman
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Re: Seen Any Good Movies Lately?

Post by Linkman » Fri Dec 25, 2015 11:04 am

As in, a full fledged erection?
"everytime I try to draw xen I end up drawing a kangaroo smoking a cigar while chainsawing a tree" - Deoxy
"I can't believe I'm the only person who voted Stallone. His appeal lies in watching is movies again and again just to hear what the hell he's talking about." - Kilteh

Narts

Post by Narts » Fri Dec 25, 2015 7:22 pm

Fully armed and operational

daisy

Post by daisy » Sat Dec 26, 2015 10:54 am

I wish the above conversation was not too large to sig.

DieselPheonix

Post by DieselPheonix » Sat Dec 26, 2015 6:48 pm

It fits if you cut out the setup which also removes the context and therefore makes it timeless. Also some of the shorter remarks.

hawkesnightmare

Post by hawkesnightmare » Sun Dec 27, 2015 1:02 am

Lovely. Now I'm immortalized in WWN as the guy who can't keep it in his pants during movies.
daisy: If the UK is worse than the present #5 in the world in terms of GDP come July 1st 2018 I will dye my hair pink.

DieselPheonix

Post by DieselPheonix » Mon Dec 28, 2015 1:04 pm

There are technically worse things to be immortalized for.

Dragonite

Post by Dragonite » Thu Dec 31, 2015 1:29 am

Not really a movie, but my current surge of free time has turned me into a Downton Abby addict. Yay?

scraggypunk

Post by scraggypunk » Thu Dec 31, 2015 12:21 pm

the big short, spotlight, and the hateful eight are good
wisdom
"the law, in its majestic equality, forbids the rich as well as the poor to sleep under bridges, to beg in the streets, and to steal bread" - anatole france

Pkdragon

Post by Pkdragon » Fri Jan 01, 2016 6:40 pm

i saw star wars 7

it was fun, but not amazing.

the old cast was awesome and pretty much carried the film, if you've seen it you probably know what i mean. but ultimately it's the newer cast who were important, and i just wasn't impressed. Finn was a great character, but he was about it. The other two major new additions to the star wars cast I didn't like at all. yes, I'm including Kylo Ren here. He managed to be a disappointing dark jedi which is one hell of a feat

still wasn't as bad as the prequels, which may ultimately work against it, because i do enjoy the prequels for a good laugh now and then
HPD wrote:You know the only thing on the agenda of the Squirtle Squad is pure, unadulterated chaos.

That, and watching Euros squirm.

hawkesnightmare

Post by hawkesnightmare » Sun Jan 03, 2016 6:58 am

Pkdragon wrote:I'm including Kylo Ren here. He managed to be a disappointing dark jedi which is one hell of a feat
I've seen a lot of hate on Kylo Ren since the movie has come out, and it seems to stem from nobody understanding what his character is supposed to be. George Lucas is heralded as the master of creating villains. Darth Vader is a bad guy that simply cannot be beat. I cannot think of any other movie in which kids want to dress up as the villain as much as the hero. Kylo Ren is not this sort of villain. He was never supposed to be. He's an angsty young guy with a lot of stuff going on that's tearing him in fifteen different directions. He has tantrums. He's not as reserved as Vader or Palpatine. He hasn't yet learned how to bottle up his frustration and use it in the next battle. Even his lightsaber is as rough and untethered as he is. His character will be developed in the next two movies, and he might perhaps move past the outbursts, which I will be very interested to see.
Last edited by hawkesnightmare on Mon Jan 04, 2016 2:45 am, edited 2 times in total.
daisy: If the UK is worse than the present #5 in the world in terms of GDP come July 1st 2018 I will dye my hair pink.

HPD
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by HPD » Sun Jan 03, 2016 10:13 am

I've just returned from seeing it and I'm in Hawke's corner. I'm eager to see how his character will develop over the next two films. Some parts were a bit silly, though. I can't deny that. It's not a great move to play the inverse of the dark side temptation, if you will. That didn't really come across very well.

I might collect my thoughts on it later, when I'm not on my phone...
"So when I say the fudge shaman flies he goddamn well flies and that's that." - Narts
"My motto is that there are far too many women in the world to waste time with men." - thefalman
"It's just that I'm not really aware of how a common conversation goes." - Imano Ob, talking on MSN about talking on MSN
"As for FE8, that was IS' variant of Man Spam - Dudes with Swords edition." - Xenesis

daisy

Post by daisy » Sun Jan 03, 2016 10:40 am

Hidden Text
I know he'll probably show up again, but officially Kylo is MIA. We last saw him on the floor of a collapsing planet.

Pkdragon

Post by Pkdragon » Sun Jan 03, 2016 5:37 pm

Hidden Text
Actually, Upon sitting and thinking about it for awhile, I do think that I like Kylo Ren more than Rei. Kylo may be an angsty kid but I will say his performance on the bridge was pretty fantastic. I'm still not a huge fan of his direction, though, but I'll admit he has potential in the next movies. He was better than Maul at least, because he has actually has character.

Still don't like Rei though. She's so boring and I have no reason to care about her, literally no reason, besides "she's a jedi and the main character". Finn I care about because he's an ex-Stormtrooper. Kylo I care about because of his family. Nothing for Rei, they just didn't give me anything to work with. AND she's an extremely passive character for most of the story, just to make things even worse.
HPD wrote:You know the only thing on the agenda of the Squirtle Squad is pure, unadulterated chaos.

Treedweller

Post by Treedweller » Sun Jan 03, 2016 7:11 pm

Hidden Text
I'm sorry, but she's 'extremely passive'? Darling, did we watch the same movie? Rei beats up aliens with a stick, flies the Falcon, gets offered a job flying with Han, initiates her own rescue by fudge Stormtrooper Daniel Craig, then shows up Kylo Ren in a lightsaber duel while Finn takes a well-deserved beauty nap. She initiates basically all important movement in the movie.

Also, you're completely wrong about Kylo. His inability to be perfectly evil is what makes him interesting - he has the attitude of a petulant child, all while managing to be genuinely dangerous and ruthless. I'm excited to see what giant Sith master Gollum will teach Kylo for the sequel. Maybe how to take better care of his preciousssss?

Pkdragon

Post by Pkdragon » Sun Jan 03, 2016 7:41 pm

Hidden Text
Passive in the sense that she's along for the ride and doesn't have any real reason to do anything and in fact would rather be home- until the very end when she force-grabs the lightsaber. Up until then all she is doing the entire movie is reacting to events. Yes, she's talented and does some cool things. But that by itself isn't particularly interesting. I mean don't get me wrong, it's not a death sentence to be passive (in this sense), but when combined with her bland character and lack of charisma (Outside of the final battle), she just had nothing going for her. Don't get me wrong, she's a Strong character, she's just also pretty Passive.

I mean, I have hope that she gets better now that she's accepted her jedi-dom and gotten over her emotional trauma, but honestly I have little faith in them maintaining that. Characters in fiction in general tend to have a hard time maintaining that sort of thing.

As far as Kylo Ren goes: I get that it's novel in the Star Wars series to have Kylo Ren be an angsty teen but this type of villain isn't particularly unique in fiction as a whole. I did enjoy his tantrums, but in an almost Jar-Jar Binks sort of way (I actually enjoyed JarJar, mostly because I enjoy watching the world burn). What is interesting about Kylo Ren isn't that he's a more realistic sort of villain who's not 100% evil, or that he's childish- what makes him interesting is simple- it's what he does to his father, and how unhinged he is afterwards. That right there is something fairly rare, though you'll have to excuse me for not elaborating any further on the why, there's some things that just shouldn't be talked about yet, even in spoiler tags, lol.
What's clear, I think, is that there's going to be some time needed for the movie to sink in. Maybe even a few repeated viewings. One amusing side effect though, is that this has made me realize I actually like The Phantom Menace a lot more than I thought I did- for all it's problems, Qui-Gon Jin and Obi-Wan are fantastic and carry the movie.

Dragonite

Post by Dragonite » Sun Jan 03, 2016 8:44 pm

Really need to watch this. As soon as my little deficit of not having watched the original trilogy is fixed that is.

hawkesnightmare

Post by hawkesnightmare » Mon Jan 04, 2016 2:41 am

One thing JJ got VERY right was that you didn't need to watch any of the other movies to understand what's going on. He did a great job of injecting enough context in the characters' interactions with each other that you simultaneously understand the reason something is exciting and are not wrenched from the experience by a subtle 4th wall break.

hawkesnightmare

Post by hawkesnightmare » Mon Jan 04, 2016 2:56 am

Hidden Text
I agree with Pk that Rey is a pretty passive character, but I think there is a reason for that. For the entire movie, she has no idea what's going on. All she's ever done since she was like six was junk collecting. Suddenly she finds a Droid and the asshole junk dealer who barely gives enough food to survive offers her enough food to be full for two months. And then she's dragged into a conflict that she's only heard stories about from passing travelers. Of course she's not going to be too proactive in the plot. If you take another look at episode 4, the same sort of thing happens with Luke for a little while, with the first thing he actually DID was rush back home to try and save his family. Rey's initiative will definitely grow the more she figures out how to deal with everything that's going on.

Pkdragon

Post by Pkdragon » Mon Jan 04, 2016 6:41 am

That doesn't mean you shouldn't watch them though. They are considered classics for a reason.

Linkman
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Linkman » Mon Jan 04, 2016 1:46 pm

Just watch Empire. You can sum up the events of IV and VI in a few lines.
"everytime I try to draw xen I end up drawing a kangaroo smoking a cigar while chainsawing a tree" - Deoxy
"I can't believe I'm the only person who voted Stallone. His appeal lies in watching is movies again and again just to hear what the hell he's talking about." - Kilteh

Pkdragon

Post by Pkdragon » Mon Jan 04, 2016 2:02 pm

nah trust me watch IV it's good

i mean empire is must-see but IV is right up there, and it has so many iconic scenes i can't imagine skipping it (at least on the first watch)

VI yeah you can probably skip that one (but will you want to after watching Empire, that is the question)

Linkman
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Linkman » Mon Jan 04, 2016 2:44 pm

IV is way too slow. I mean, I still like it, but as a cinema fan I can't honestly say it's great film.

Empire, I actually think it's well written, well paced and well directed. I figured out years after the fact this is because it wasn't written nor directed by Lucas.

Narts

Post by Narts » Mon Jan 04, 2016 4:01 pm

Empire Strikes Back is great but it doesn't exactly work as a standalone movie. It's just the middle of a story. There's no real beginning or an end to it.

If you want to see and appreciate it you'll pretty much have to watch the entire trilogy.

A New Hope meanders and drags along in places, but you'd have to be some kind of an ADHD for it to be a too slow movie for you to enjoy. It's still the only Star Wars that truly and completely works as a self-contained standalone. It's actually kind of ridiculous how well the story holds up without the other movies - whatever plot holes and continuity errors there are, are only introduced by the later movies, particularly the prequels, messing up things.

daisy

Post by daisy » Mon Jan 04, 2016 9:34 pm

Dragonite wrote:Really need to watch this. As soon as my little deficit of not having watched the original trilogy is fixed that is.
What the fudge dude

Dragonite

Post by Dragonite » Mon Jan 04, 2016 9:42 pm

That was when you said last time. Especially when I told you I did see the prequels.

By this point I have seen the most famous snippets of the movies on youtube though. I can see why the lightsaber battles and space dogfights are so highly valued, even today. Sure, some things come across as a little dated(cockpit displays nonono), but you can hardly blame them for that.

Linkman
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Linkman » Mon Jan 04, 2016 11:48 pm

Narts wrote:Empire Strikes Back is great but it doesn't exactly work as a standalone movie. It's just the middle of a story. There's no real beginning or an end to it.

If you want to see and appreciate it you'll pretty much have to watch the entire trilogy.

A New Hope meanders and drags along in places, but you'd have to be some kind of an ADHD for it to be a too slow movie for you to enjoy. It's still the only Star Wars that truly and completely works as a self-contained standalone. It's actually kind of ridiculous how well the story holds up without the other movies - whatever plot holes and continuity errors there are, are only introduced by the later movies, particularly the prequels, messing up things.
You are right. I wish someone made an abridged version of IV.

Dragonite

Post by Dragonite » Tue Jan 05, 2016 12:51 am

It still baffles me how George Lucas could create all of this and yet manage to be almost universally disliked. He didn't like the force awakens approach right? Finding that out slighty spoiled me again. I should make haste.

daisy

Post by daisy » Tue Jan 05, 2016 11:22 am

Dragonite wrote:It still baffles me how George Lucas could create all of this and yet manage to be almost universally disliked. He didn't like the force awakens approach right? Finding that out slighty spoiled me again. I should make haste.
George Lucas, like many people, does great work in a group. He's a fantastic director for wide shots, environments and generally making things look cool. That's why his space battles and Lightsaber fights are awesome. Here is an example of Lucas being fudge brilliant:

You could skip the title crawl, start at 1:47 and you'd still know exactly what's going on *with zero dialogue* until 2:48, and even when the dialogue does start it's not expositional at all and there's not a lot of it. Everything is shown to the audience, not told. The films are good because he worked with other people, who critiqued his script and, in the case of Empire and Return, wrote the script away from George.

When the prequels came round, Lucas was a household name so he could get away with being crumpets. He was free to lock himself in a room and fart out The Phantom Menace without anyone questioning his brilliance. Lucas had near-dictatorial control over Phantom, less over Clones and even less in Revenge. This is why Revenge is seen as the best (or least crap) of the prequels, because he had input from other people and worked in a group.

scraggypunk

Post by scraggypunk » Tue Jan 05, 2016 2:54 pm

lucas is (well, was) exceedingly brilliant at assembling talented people. a very useful skill to be sure, and one that should not be downplayed

but WOW does his ideas suck like lol damn.
wisdom
"the law, in its majestic equality, forbids the rich as well as the poor to sleep under bridges, to beg in the streets, and to steal bread" - anatole france

HPD
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by HPD » Wed Jan 06, 2016 7:04 am

My impression of Star Wars VII:

"So when I say the fudge shaman flies he goddamn well flies and that's that." - Narts
"My motto is that there are far too many women in the world to waste time with men." - thefalman
"It's just that I'm not really aware of how a common conversation goes." - Imano Ob, talking on MSN about talking on MSN
"As for FE8, that was IS' variant of Man Spam - Dudes with Swords edition." - Xenesis

Joey

Post by Joey » Wed Jan 06, 2016 10:29 am

star wars was very good and i think people who dispute this are no fun
"Unakau has nicked off. And there was much rejoicing."

Joey

Post by Joey » Wed Jan 06, 2016 10:29 am

scraggypunk wrote:lucas is (well, was) exceedingly brilliant at assembling talented people. a very useful skill to be sure, and one that should not be downplayed

but WOW does his ideas suck like lol damn.
i like his ability to render samuel l jackson totally useless

Joey

Post by Joey » Wed Jan 06, 2016 10:30 am

by the way the original 1977 star wars is the best one

daisy

Post by daisy » Thu Jan 07, 2016 6:53 am

edit button is a thing

monkymeet
3DS Code: 3480-3067-3928

Post by monkymeet » Thu Jan 07, 2016 5:28 pm

i'd argue than phantom is actually a little better than clones

also, lucas should NEVER write love dialogue. i don't think even the world's best actors could have made that script work
imageshack swallowed up my sig. This is a placeholder.

hawkesnightmare

Post by hawkesnightmare » Fri Jan 08, 2016 9:44 am

I'm in the same boat as Monky. Clones is definitely my least favourite one. The only bits I really liked from that was the Geonosis arena scene and Ewan McGregor's glorious beard.

scraggypunk

Post by scraggypunk » Fri Jan 08, 2016 12:19 pm

attack of the clones is so bad i don't even remember what happens in it
wisdom

hawkesnightmare

Post by hawkesnightmare » Fri Jan 08, 2016 3:05 pm

Worms try to assassinate Padme, Obi Wan tracks it to Jango Fett, they redeem their coupon for 1,000,000,000 clones on Kamino, Obi Wan follows Fett to Geonosis, Anakin goes to Tatooine to have a tantrum while his mom dies, they discover the Separatist plot, get captured, fight their way out, fight Dooku, Yoda saves their asses, roll credits.

Linkman
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Linkman » Fri Jan 08, 2016 11:17 pm

That's one of the least coherent plots I've ever read.

HPD
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by HPD » Sat Jan 09, 2016 3:24 am

That sounds pretty accurate