Pokemon Sun and Moon. W00t, or something.

This is the media board. Discuss movies, games, music, books and any other media here.

Moderator: Terragent

Pkdragon

Re: Pokemon Sun and Moon. W00t, or something.

Post by Pkdragon » Wed Jul 20, 2016 10:06 am

i rationalize it thusly

in all parts of the world but kanto, the world was in a state of barbaric savagery, and even in kanto technology had only been discovered a few years ago- ss anne was a ship that could only function in shallow water, mountains were way too high to climb over, etc

but then technology got awesome, the ss anne was upgraded to become capable of sailing past cinnibar, tunnel building was discovered, and kanto discovered gen 2. in a matter of years, civilization took hold in gen 2 land, and people discovered writing, reading, radio, city building and remembering the existence of pokemon, and at this fragile state in their development they needed to send out kids to record and rediscover for the first time the pokemon that have been staring them in the face all these years.

the ss anne continued it's voyage of discovery and civilization, uplifting the lands it encountered from their state of barbarism by handing out free pcs and pokedexes (and phds, for each land requires a Professor), so that each land has a thin veneer of civilization by the time the plot of each game starts. but mark my words, it is thin veneer indeed- if the chosen ones are not successful in their quest to count the pokemon then the land will be doomed to relapse into savagery and human sacrifice, starting with you
HPD wrote:You know the only thing on the agenda of the Squirtle Squad is pure, unadulterated chaos.

That, and watching Euros squirm.

Dragonite

Post by Dragonite » Wed Jul 20, 2016 10:52 am

It's just a more sugarcoated term of ''we made more''. The remakes have newer pokemon then their gens, and don't really push their region as being new discoveries. Consider it slight fourth wall breaking to note something was new at the time the game was made.

Older parts of the whole game, such has handing out pokedexes are done more matter of fact nowadays. The game is very aware you getting the dex, first supplies, and the catch tutorials is repeated each time, and it just touches on it briefly without drawing it out.

On another note, I don't get why the feature to see which moves are super effective if you've seen the enemy mon before got some flak. Most adult players will be able to pick the correct attack if they know the enemy typing anyway. XY doing stuff as having a healing NPC trail you to handhold you through the first forest of the game is worse.

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO
3DS Code: 2535-4646-7163

Post by Xenesis » Wed Jul 20, 2016 10:59 am

Dragonite wrote:On another note, I don't get why the feature to see which moves are super effective if you've seen the enemy mon before got some flak. Most adult players will be able to pick the correct attack if they know the enemy typing anyway.
Some people like to conflate adding quality of life improvements to 'reducing the difficulty' of a game for some reason.
IST wrote:Even the worst individual needs to discover the joys of a chicken statue that is also a pregnant blonde housewife.

Dragonite

Post by Dragonite » Tue Aug 02, 2016 12:11 am

Okay, this is getting completely mental. Also Trump.

daisy

Post by daisy » Tue Aug 02, 2016 5:53 am

what the fudge

yeah guys lets make the old pokemon everyone loves white and pretend it's something new. why not break the already-crumpets combat system even more while we're at it.

DieselPheonix

Post by DieselPheonix » Tue Aug 02, 2016 12:47 pm

You all should be playing the real pocket monster game.

Pkdragon

Post by Pkdragon » Tue Aug 02, 2016 12:48 pm

is that digimon
HPD wrote:You know the only thing on the agenda of the Squirtle Squad is pure, unadulterated chaos.

scraggypunk

Post by scraggypunk » Tue Aug 02, 2016 12:53 pm

yes
wisdom
"the law, in its majestic equality, forbids the rich as well as the poor to sleep under bridges, to beg in the streets, and to steal bread" - anatole france

Joey

Post by Joey » Tue Aug 02, 2016 1:45 pm

this looks thoroughly stupid and i'm furious.
"Unakau has nicked off. And there was much rejoicing."

Bonesy
3DS Code: 0318 8318 0000

Post by Bonesy » Tue Aug 02, 2016 2:54 pm

i'm hype y'all just babies

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Xenesis » Tue Aug 02, 2016 6:01 pm

The new forms are half ice types.

They'll still probably be bad.
IST wrote:Even the worst individual needs to discover the joys of a chicken statue that is also a pregnant blonde housewife.

HPD
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by HPD » Tue Aug 02, 2016 6:11 pm

I don't really like that these games get more and more convoluted and weird with every release
"So when I say the fudge shaman flies he goddamn well flies and that's that." - Narts
"My motto is that there are far too many women in the world to waste time with men." - thefalman
"It's just that I'm not really aware of how a common conversation goes." - Imano Ob, talking on MSN about talking on MSN
"As for FE8, that was IS' variant of Man Spam - Dudes with Swords edition." - Xenesis

Sven

Post by Sven » Tue Aug 02, 2016 6:35 pm

i like oricorio

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Xenesis » Tue Aug 02, 2016 6:47 pm

Sven wrote:i like oricorio
I hope it doesn't have terrible stats. It seems cool.

ThunderWalker

Post by ThunderWalker » Tue Aug 02, 2016 7:43 pm

HPD wrote:I don't really like that these games get more and more convoluted and weird with every release
HPD wrote:I don't really like that these games get more and more convoluted and weird with every release
Especially weird.

On the other hand, Pokémon mutating (avoiding the Darwinian word "evolving" for obvious reasons) through environmental factors is something that should eventually happen from a logical point of view.
Talking about mutating, something not ingame yet terribly obvious, is breeding; Skitty + Wailord being the classical example. If they breed and somehow manage to produce a child it should have a big genetical impact. Maybe even up to the point of that their child gains the secondary typing of the other parent (so Normal/Water for Skitty and Water/Normal for Wailmer).
My sig is a void.

daisy

Post by daisy » Tue Aug 02, 2016 9:25 pm

:geflash: :geflash: :geflash: :geflash:

Dragonite

Post by Dragonite » Wed Aug 03, 2016 4:36 am

I personally like they went down the insame route. No mon is ever safe again.
Also, more non garbage cute faries are good. Especially if it's a mutant ice kitsune:

daisy

Post by daisy » Wed Aug 03, 2016 4:41 am

Pkdragon

Post by Pkdragon » Wed Aug 03, 2016 5:00 am

LISA is the best

hawkesnightmare

Post by hawkesnightmare » Wed Aug 03, 2016 7:17 am

Yeah this seems like they couldn't think of enough new mons to put into the game, so they just tried to go the "isolated area creates mutated mons" route.
daisy: If the UK is worse than the present #5 in the world in terms of GDP come July 1st 2018 I will dye my hair pink.

Bonesy

Post by Bonesy » Sat Aug 06, 2016 6:55 am

monkymeet
3DS Code: 3480-3067-3928

Post by monkymeet » Sun Aug 07, 2016 2:21 am

whoever's hatin' on exeggutor's new swag be cray

he's the best thing that's happened to pokemons
imageshack swallowed up my sig. This is a placeholder.

scraggypunk

Post by scraggypunk » Sun Aug 07, 2016 3:23 am

no way, that's mimikyu

even more like a palm tree exeggector is the second best thing though, this is true
wisdom
"the law, in its majestic equality, forbids the rich as well as the poor to sleep under bridges, to beg in the streets, and to steal bread" - anatole france

Linkman
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Linkman » Sun Aug 07, 2016 3:38 am

I concur.
"everytime I try to draw xen I end up drawing a kangaroo smoking a cigar while chainsawing a tree" - Deoxy
"I can't believe I'm the only person who voted Stallone. His appeal lies in watching is movies again and again just to hear what the hell he's talking about." - Kilteh

Dragonite

Post by Dragonite » Tue Aug 09, 2016 6:48 pm

And now we have a ground/ghost sandcastle! However, we also get fire/ghost Marowak, so eh.

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Xenesis » Tue Aug 09, 2016 9:37 pm

The very concept of a haunted sandcastle is adorable.

daisy

Post by daisy » Wed Aug 10, 2016 10:37 am

I was thinking about possibly picking Moon up, but yeah I'm done. Last straw. Not gonna bother. I'll stick with Pokemon Go until they inevitably ruin that with Gen 3+ updates.

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Xenesis » Wed Aug 10, 2016 11:03 am

daisy wrote:I was thinking about possibly picking Moon up, but yeah I'm done. Last straw. Not gonna bother. I'll stick with Pokemon Go until they inevitably ruin that with Gen 3+ updates.
What's wrong with sandcastles?

ThunderWalker

Post by ThunderWalker » Wed Aug 10, 2016 3:49 pm

daisy wrote:Image
I like the Magnemite.
My sig is a void.

Bonesy

Post by Bonesy » Thu Aug 11, 2016 10:54 am

daisy wrote:I was thinking about possibly picking Moon up, but yeah I'm done. Last straw. Not gonna bother. I'll stick with Pokemon Go until they inevitably ruin that with Gen 3+ updates.
poor baby

daisy

Post by daisy » Thu Aug 11, 2016 11:24 am

Bonesy wrote:
poor baby
Their loss.

scraggypunk

Post by scraggypunk » Thu Aug 11, 2016 3:18 pm

you're such a genwunner it's embarrassing. how do people like you exist
wisdom

Dragonite

Post by Dragonite » Thu Aug 11, 2016 6:38 pm

I'm more surprised you were considering it at all.

I'll continue to bombard you with GF's newest innovations regardless.

ThunderWalker

Post by ThunderWalker » Thu Aug 11, 2016 8:27 pm

The only thing I really don't like about the later generations (ie; not gen I) is that Mega Evolution sounds so ridiculously silly.

Well, there are more things that annoy me, but about most things I don't really care. I'm not a hardcore Pokémon fan or whatever, and the only thing involved with Pokémon I still do is playing a rare game on Smogon, or reading some fanfiction like Traveler.
From that point of view, I can't really understand those who really love one generation and despise the rest. Sure the first generation feels more nostalgic for me as well, but that doesn't mean I can't judge the later designs somewhat fairly, on other factors than not being of that generation.
Or the other way around - I certainly don't like all Gen I Pokémon either and there are certainly a few more "meh" ones. Or just designs that felt cool at first until something came around that did it just a whole lot better (like Fearow, until Braviary came around).
My sig is a void.

Dragonite

Post by Dragonite » Thu Aug 11, 2016 11:27 pm

The Raichu in Alola have two types—Electric and Psychic—and they are able to wield psychic power. What’s more, they can gather their psychic power in their tails and then ride on them to float in th air!

Even Pokémon researchers don’t know why Raichu’s form changed in the Alola region. The people of Alola seem unconcerned by the question. Their guess: maybe it ate too many sweet and fluffy round pancakes!
(Wake me up)
Wake me up inside,
(I Can't wake up)
Wake me up inside,
(Save me)
Call my name and save me from the dark.

Terragent

Post by Terragent » Thu Aug 11, 2016 11:32 pm

Or maybe it's actually an Audino with a spray tan.

Sven

Post by Sven » Fri Aug 12, 2016 2:17 am

my friend is gonna be so hype that raichu got something, it's his fav pokemon

this gen looks gorgeous

HPD
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by HPD » Fri Aug 12, 2016 3:42 am

That's a delicious handwave right there.
"So when I say the fudge shaman flies he goddamn well flies and that's that." - Narts
"My motto is that there are far too many women in the world to waste time with men." - thefalman
"It's just that I'm not really aware of how a common conversation goes." - Imano Ob, talking on MSN about talking on MSN
"As for FE8, that was IS' variant of Man Spam - Dudes with Swords edition." - Xenesis

Dragonite

Post by Dragonite » Fri Aug 12, 2016 4:34 am

A lot of those forms give a far more interesting feel of call back then Kalos every did for me... Really hyped for Sun and Moon in general, they are just doing so many cool ideas instead of straight power creep like mega evolution.

This Raichu is just a unique spin on the surfing pikachu anyway. Surfs on air, and can surf faster if it gets to manipulate electricity too.

daisy

Post by daisy » Fri Aug 12, 2016 6:43 am

scraggypunk wrote:you're such a genwunner it's embarrassing. how do people like you exist
2 =/= 1
3 =/= 1

G/S/C are near-masterpieces and probably the best sequel to any game ever made. Easily the best games on the GBC. I have zero complaints given the limitations of the system. Gen 3 was incredibly underwhelming after gen 2, but that didn't stop me putting hundreds of hours into it. I was so hyped for that crumpets.

Gentwoer? Sure.